Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    3+ Year Old Account
    I really don't understand the hate for the movie. Was it 10/10? No. Did it have its flaws? Absolutely. But was it terrible as some of you critics claim? Absolutely not. It was fun, entertaining, and yes it got my friends interested in the franchise because they liked it too.

Jesus u guys hate everything. Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSe7eN View Post
    I really don't understand the hate for the movie. Was it 10/10? No. Did it have its flaws? Absolutely. But was it terrible as some of you critics claim? Absolutely not. It was fun, entertaining, and yes it got my friends interested in the franchise because they liked it too.

Man, it's not about hating, I don't hate it, it was definitely not terrible, but it could have been much much better. Like I enjoyed reading The Last Guardian more than watching the movie.

Just as with the game they tried to appease to everyone but it the end no one found it more than generic.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Man, it's not about hating, I don't hate it, it was definitely not terrible, but it could have been much much better. Like I enjoyed reading The Last Guardian more than watching the movie.

Just as with the game they tried to appease to everyone but it the end no one found it more than generic.

It was still better than what happened to The Dark Tower. At least Duncan TRIED and succeeded in getting the feel of the universe right.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The movie was destined to fail the moment it was announced as live action. It really wouldn't matter who the writers or the directors is at that point. The contrast between RL humans and WarCraft's artstyle is too jarring to ever be convincing
    True. You can't capture Blizzard's cinematics with real people and sets.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSe7eN View Post

I wouldn't call it hate. But, disappointment.

5+ Year Old Account
    they should make anime something like castlevania or arcane but based on arthas story. Season 1 as paladin and season 2 deathknight to icecrown and that would be great

I remember trying to see this in theaters, no movie theatre within 2 hours drive was showing it. Was it an amazing movie? No, but there are far shittier movies that got showings. I always thought that was incredibly strange.

I think the movie would have been received better if it was not a "warcraft" film.
    too many Expectations for a Warcraft film that missed the mark.
    if this film was just a high-fantasy film it would have been fine. The CGI and action sequences were great and humor served its purpose.

a person with No knowledge of the Warcraft franchise could derive enjoyment from it; but then again....different people have different tastes in film
    it was a Fine movie, just not a Fine "Warcraft " movie.

7+ Year Old Account
    The orcs were the only thing that could be saved from that movie, honestly.

This is a problem where people try to bite something too big, they tried to follow up the entire first war following a lot of characters in a movie that was cut down to be shorter.

They also changed lot of things to be on pair with today wow(floating dalaran, only frostwolves are good orcs), filled with unnecessary stuff, like Lothar and Garona romance(cause hollywood movies need to have a romantic pair of some reaso)n and they focusing too much on thrall's father, when Orgrin and Blackhand should be the leading guys(plus changing orgrin clan).

Since they didn't want make a 3 hour long movie for the RTS games, cause this the only way you could do properly, a tv show/series counting the 3 games story as 3 seasons, would be better.

Then, later, after the show made success and new fans, a movie to follow up the Frozen throne/lich king ascension.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2021-12-28 at 12:45 AM.

I think it would have been much better with his plan, the first one should have stuck with the orcs being evil/mystery force and focused on the human building side, the ending scene should have been stormwind burning and the population fleeing into the sea, post-credit scene of orcs building ships to set up Tides of Darkness which would start to explore the orcs, then a 3rd movie that focus on the war and introduces the Lich King to set up a LK movie or 2 or 3.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    The movie failed because they tried to have 7 main characters
    Pretty much, though it’s less the number and more how it’s handled. A movie (even a fantasy movie that’s already throwing a bunch of confusing shit at the audience) can have a large group of characters, they just need to focus on a more singular plot. See LotR; big cast but all tied together with a single main plot thread. It’s not till the subsequent movies when they can split up and get all the side quests going.

The acting was atrocious.

I always felt that they should either tell the origin story of Arthas or Illidan. But if they wanted to do warcraft 1, then you tell a horror story with the dark portal itself as the main “villain”. A mysterious object deep in the wilds with horrors pouring out of it. Dont show Draenor. Show how the denizens of Azeroth handle (or fail to handle) this mind-bending threat. Really lean into that.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I think Duncan Jones did a great job.
    Check out my game, Craftsmith, on the Google Play Store!

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    That movie failed due to the producers micro-managing things they knew nothing about and the studio having the film edited the way they did. With Raimi, it could have been good...ie Spider-man 2, or it could have been terrible...ie Evil Dead. Raimi is a hit or miss director. He has gotten much better later in his career, but any director can still have a flop.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, what? Evil dead terrible?

Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Nope, I think Duncan Jones did a great job.
    Really?

/10 char

Out of all the things wrong with this movie, Duncan Jones was not one of them.

I also feel bad for Toby Kebbell, who can't land a role in a good movie to save his life, and Rob Kazinsky, who was legitimately passionate about the whole thing.

All things considered, many people did all they could, but the project was doomed from the moment Blizzard chose to go the "conventional" route and put their franchise in the hands of a movie studio that saw it as yet another silly videogame movie. Some of the actors shared this opinion, I'm sure. Had they developed it internally, it would have been better.

Probably a more interesting film, not as good of a Warcraft story tho.

With both the RTS and the MMORPG, Warcraft really should be more of a series, or mini series, but how do you give that a good budget to render all those bulging orc muscles?

You gotta go animated and stylized like Clone Wars for that (and I haven't watched it yet, but stylistically, Arcane looks bomb)

IMO Warcraft's worlbuilding is too intricate for a 2 hour movie, and that's even if you just keep it to orcs and humans; there's just way too much set up to work as a movie, with two fleshed out sizes, spanning a whole ass war.

I don't think it was about Orcs being evil, it was more Blizzard wanted to write their own script & veto'd what Sam Raimi/Robert Tapert wrote, Blizzard's original script according to Raimi "didn't work for him" which means it was bad in Hollywood speak, Blizzard post WC3 has had poor writing honestly.

Raimi i also think was perfect to direct, he has done big hollywood blockbusters & knows how to mix humour in with violence/horror, which works for Warcraft. Blizzard were really stupid to let him go, Bowie's son didn't know how to direct a blockbuster.

10+ Year Old Account
    The WoW movie's biggest problem was the Human side of the story. The actors were all miscast and too young (Charles Dance as Lothar would have been AMAZING) and the dialog and story was just shit on that end. The Orcs side was great.

Honestly the last act should have been the sacking of SW.

Do the meeting at Blackrock but have Durotan get murdered at the meeting. Lothar and Khadgar kill Medivh sending Guldan into a coma. Ogrim takes over the Horde killing Blackhand after finding out the truth about fel magic killing their world. Final battle is SW with Lothar and Khadgar arriving too late and flee on ships.

Honestly it would have probably been better to start with the Second War as that is a much better story overall than the First War.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2021-12-28 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I also feel bad for Toby Kebbell, who can't land a role in a good movie to save his life, and Rob Kazinsky, who was legitimately passionate about the whole thing.
    Rob Kazinsky was chosen, like Duncan Jones, because he was a former player. Was his acting any good? Not so much... they chose too many people based on them playing the game or being fans instead of actual talent.

All things considered, many people did all they could, but the project was doomed from the moment Blizzard chose to go the "conventional" route and put their franchise in the hands of a movie studio that saw it as yet another silly videogame movie. Some of the actors shared this opinion, I'm sure. Had they developed it internally, it would have been better.
    Yes, Legendary studios probably contributed to the ruination of the movie, like the way they ruined Jurassic World a year before.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The WoW movie's biggest problem was the Human side of the story.
    I agree. The human side was the boring side.