Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Post [TV] Apple TV+ ☢ Godzilla: The Monsterverse

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17220216/

Godzilla and the Titans Live-Action Series Set at Apple.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/god...le-1235158784/
    By Joe Otterson - Jan 20, 2022 2:00pm PT

Apple has ordered a live-action Godzilla series from Legendary Television, Variety has learned.

The untitled series continues the story of the Legendary Monsterverse established in films like “Kong: Skull Island” and 2014’s “Godzilla.”

Following the battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, the series explores one family’s journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch. Monarch is a secret government entity that has played a major role in the Monsterverse franchise, working to cover up the existence of and defend the world from creatures like Godzilla and the other Titans.

Chris Black and Matt Fraction co-created the series with both executive producing. Black will also serve as showrunner. Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell of Safehouse Pictures will also executive produce along with Hiro Matsuoka and Takemasa Arita of Toho Co. Ltd. Toho is the owener of the Godzilla character and has licensed the rights to Legendary for the series.

There have been four films in the rebooted Monsterverse to date: “Godzilla” in 2014, “Kong: Skull Island” in 2017, “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” in 2019, and most recently “Godzilla vs. Kong” in 2021. The films have collectively grossed nearly $2 billion at the global box office. There is also a “Skull Island” anime series currently in the works at Netflix.

Given the size and scale of past Godzilla projects, the Apple series will no doubt look to capture the awesome power of the Titans on the small screen. Apple has primarily focused on more grounded fare with its streaming shows thus far, but they have also released more epic shows like “Foundation” and “Invasion” as well as prepping the sci-fi series “Wool,” based on the book of the same name by Hugh Howey.

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2023-02-09 at 11:28 AM.

It's weird how all these Godzilla shows are sidestepping HBOmax.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    It's weird how all these Godzilla shows are sidestepping HBOmax.
    The movies are on there?

I wonder how much creatures we'll see, the 1st movie in the 'monsterverse' was mostly humans, I expect the same thing here, would be pretty expensive otherwise, they be write this good or it will flop..

I'm still waiting for Gamera. Should have his own movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    The movies are on there?
    That's what I mean...the movies are on HBOmax...but all of these TV series are going to other platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    That's what I mean...the movies are on HBOmax...but all of these TV series are going to other platforms.
    More money,movies + series in one place means one sub fee payed,movies on one site and series on another means two sub fees paid and Warner gets a cut from the other site,it's all about the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanrefni View Post
    More money,movies + series in one place means one sub fee payed,movies on one site and series on another means two sub fees paid and Warner gets a cut from the other site,it's all about the money.
    They get more money from people subbing to HBOmax than to other services...

The movies are on there?

I wonder how much creatures we'll see, the 1st movie in the 'monsterverse' was mostly humans, I expect the same thing here, would be pretty expensive otherwise, they be write this good or it will flop..
    I think you’d have to have rock bottom expectations of monsters for something like this going in or you’re in for a world of disappointment. 10 to 1 ratio of boring human shit and monster stuff and that’s being generous I think.

If you don’t get the sense of scale right, and the destruction, then why bother? Not to mention at some point you’re going to run out of named cities worth wrecking. “Oh no, Rodan is leveling Fresno!”

I admit s bit of skepticism. If the focus is on Monarch they need to make it really interesting. Giant monsters destroying cities might be a hit once a year, but every week will get numbing.

I am kind of over Godzilla and kaiju stuff. They really pumped those out over the last couple of years and none of them were memorable.

Hard pass from me.

5+ Year Old Account
    Don't know about them, but that picture makes them look vapid.

Godzilla and Titans Monsterverse Series at Apple TV+ Casts Pachinko, Transparent Actresses

https://tvline.com/2022/06/30/godzil...apple-tv-plus/
    By Rebecca Iannucci / June 30 2022, 11:00 AM PDT

Apple TV+ has unveiled the main cast for its upcoming Monsterverse series, which will be part of the same franchise that includes films like 2014’s Godzilla and 2017’s Kong: Skull Island.

According to the official synopsis, the still-untitled project will take place in the wake of “the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real,” focusing specifically on “one family’s journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch.” (Monarch, in the Monsterverse built by the film studio Legendary, is an organization that was founded in secrecy, as a joint coalition between several governments in order to hunt and study “massive unidentified terrestrial organisms.”)

* Anna Sawai (Pachinko; pictured above) as Cate, a former schoolteacher and G-Day survivor who travels to Japan to settle family affairs but instead uncovers a family secret.

* Kiersey Clemons (Transparent; pictured above) as May, an American ex-pat with a roguish exterior that she uses to protect herself as well as others.

* Joe Tippett (Mare of Easttown) as Tim, an office drone who dreams of secret agent adventure.

* Elisa Lasowski (Versailles) as Duvall, an expert operative with unwavering confidence in herself and her skills.

* Newcomer Ren Watabe as Kentaro, an intelligent, creative and curious young man who has yet to find his own path and embarks on a quest to learn more about his revered yet mysterious father.

The live-action series will be produced by the Legendary Television arm and executive-produced by co-creators Chris Black (Star Trek: Enterprise), who will also serve as showrunner, and Matt Fraction (Hawkeye). Matt Shakman (WandaVision) will direct the first two episodes and exec-produce.

The Monsterverse films have accumulated close to $2 billion dollars globally at the box office, and also have spun off the upcoming Netflix anime series Skull Island. In addition to the films Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island, movies in the franchise include Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) and Godzilla vs. Kong (2021).

1+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I hate how they try to incorporate families and their stories into these movies. It's easily the worst part of them. Doubling down on it only makes it somehow worse.

I'd rather learn more about the monsters, their past, how they came to be, and the culture they clearly developed in the Hollow Earth. That's where the meat of the story should be, not this.

On the one hand: Family bullshit probably drenched in woke-vomit.

On the other: More godzilla.

On my head: A pirate hat.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Seems this may deal mostly with the human element and the history of the titans. If the writers do the job well...if..

5+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's the only way...they could never afford the show if it was mostly monsters, majority has to be humies, otherwise the whole season would cost x amount of full movies

* Kiersey Clemons (Transparent; pictured above) as May, an American ex-pat with a roguish exterior that she uses to protect herself as well as others.
    So this got me wondering about the direction of the show. Are they taking some monster attack survivor story ala walking dead where we follow people living in what I’d call anarchy zones? because unless she’s 500’ tall I don’t see who she’s protecting from what. This is an angle I wouldn’t mind, however, as society still seems a bit too ordered after these insane monster attacks. would be interesting to see immediate aftermath after the first attacks and how it changes the world.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    So this got me wondering about the direction of the show. Are they taking some monster attack survivor story ala walking dead where we follow people living in what I’d call anarchy zones? because unless she’s 500’ tall I don’t see who she’s protecting from what. This is an angle I wouldn’t mind, however, as society still seems a bit too ordered after these insane monster attacks. would be interesting to see immediate aftermath after the first attacks and how it changes the world.
    what if all kinds of crazy wildlife from skull island gets loose, or something

5+ Year Old Account
    Matt Shakman Talks ‘Godzilla’ Series Timeline and How It’ll Fit Into the Movie Monster Franchise.

https://collider.com/godzilla-series...kman-comments/
    BY RYAN O'ROURKE - 18 HOURS AGO

Fans of Legendary's MonsterVerse have a lot to look forward to in the coming years. Netflix has an animated Skull Island series on the way, a sequel to the city-leveling battle of Godzilla vs. Kong is due out next March, but before that, we could see the release of Apple TV+'s untitled Godzilla and the Titans series. Announced in early 2022 from creators Matt Fraction and Chris Black, the ambitious show will follow a family's quest to unveil the secrets of the monsters and explore their connection to the secret organization Monarch. Bringing it all together is a talented TV creative in WandaVision's Matt Shakman who has big plans for the 10-episode series.

Shakman recently spoke to Collider's own Steve Weintraub for his new Prime Video series The Consultant, and he talked a bit about the Apple series and its place in the wider MonsterVerse as well as the behind-the-scenes aspects of creating a large-scale Godzilla show. With regard to the story, Shakman wanted to keep it under wraps where the series lands in the timeline as it's crucial to the overall plot. "You know, I can't really say because that's part of the joy of it is, actually timelines [are] a big part of the storytelling," he said. "So I just want to say that's part of it, but I can’t really say more than that."

He'll helm two of the episodes in what's expected to be a very expensive affair. It's no small feat to bring Godzilla to screens. Through his and the other Titans' pure size, budgets often run high when trying to portray the King of Monsters in all his glory. For reference, Godzilla vs. Kong boasted a staggering production budget estimated at $160 million, making it one of the cheaper entries in the Legendary MonsterVerse which kicked off in 2014. Shakman was asked about the budget at his disposal and how much VFX played into the conversation of making the series. He teased that even though money was a part of everything, Godzilla and the Titans will get plenty of screen time. He said:

"It is, it's a part of everything, obviously, no matter what the scale of something. You always run out of money eventually, even if it's Harry Potter or Star Wars, Star Trek, Godzilla, you run out of money. But it's less about carrying out shots, although eventually, you have to do that, and more just about storytelling. You know, how much was Godzilla going to factor into the story, and he has a very important role to play, and how he factors into the series is a big part of it. So that was the bigger driver, and he's not the only Titan that you're gonna meet along the way. So there's, yeah, there's a VFX conversation constantly happening in that."

Afterward, Shakman was asked about whether he collaborated with the movie team helmed by director Adam Wingard. Considering both the show and untitled sequel film are produced by Legendary and follow-up Godzilla vs. Kong in their own ways, there was bound to be some conversation between the two teams regarding the future of the MonsterVerse. According to Shakman, however, both are largely sticking to their respective projects. He teased that, while there will be shared elements between the series, it's far more self-contained than anyone hoping for an MCU-level connection might expect:

"There is some overlap, though we were not heavily involved in talking about it with Adam Wingard and his team. Legendary is the studio for our show, as well as for the films, and so they sort of sit at the juncture there between the two, and they have a mythology department there which is wonderful. So they weigh in on how things might overlap, how certain creatures need to stay on one side or the other, and so there is a lot of conversation about it. But in terms of how closely the narratives overlap, it's not as involved to say, an MCU kind of Disney+ film crossover. It's less organized."

It shouldn't be long before we hear more about a release for the Shakman-helmed Godzilla series. He revealed that they're currently in post-production with a few months remaining to string it all together. As is the case with Legendary's MonsterVerse, he has an All-Star cast at his disposal featuring Kurt and Wyatt Russell alongside Anna Sawai, Ren Watabe, Kiersey Clemons, Joe Tippett, and Elisa Lasowski.

A human centered Monsterverse show is just a disaster/post apoc show with the occasional shot of a kaiju. Who the fuck wants that? It's like if in the Walking Dead the characters occasionally saw a zombie on a tv report/heard on the radio and and maybe once in awhile actually ran into one.

5+ Year Old Account
    Monarch: Legacy of Monsters — Official Teaser | Apple TV+

Apple TV
    Sep 8, 2023

When monsters emerge, secrets follow. Monarch: Legacy of Monsters premieres November 17 on Apple TV+ https://apple.co/_Monarch

Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco, and the shocking revelation that monsters are real, “Monarch: Legacy of Monsters” tracks two siblings following in their father’s footsteps to uncover their family’s connection to the secretive organization known as Monarch.

Clues lead them into the world of monsters and ultimately down the rabbit hole to Army Officer Lee Shaw (played by Kurt Russell and Wyatt Russell), taking place in the 1950s and half a century later where Monarch is threatened by what Shaw knows.

Based on the Monsterverse from #Legendary, and starring Kurt Russell, Wyatt Russell, Anna Sawai, Kiersey Clemons, Ren Watabe, Mari Yamamoto, Anders Holm, Joe Tippett and Elisa Lasowski, this dramatic saga — spanning three generations — reveals buried secrets and the ways that epic, earth-shattering events can reverberate through our lives.