Thread: Life After WoW

Life After WoW

G'day

So I stopped playing WoW at the end of CATA (Aug 2012) and for a while I was looking for something to do IRL.

Decided to take up a trade and become a machinist, turns out (pun intended heh heh hehhhh...) that I became an exceptionally good machinist!

If someone told me as a Kid in school "One day you'll become one of the best machinists..." my response would of 100% been, "What's a machinist?".

It started with my apprenticeship which lasted just under 2yrs (2013 - 2015) because the people testing me were so impressed with each test that... they... kept testing me so instead of 1 test per visit I was sitting between 6 and 8 tests per visit.

About a year after I finished my apprenticeship I bought my first machine and rented out a small shed to house it in and work from.

Lots of struggles but far more gains later... I bought the shed at the end of 2017! Then upgraded said shed to encompass as much of the property I could to get more machines inside.

I then had too little room and "too much money" so I approached my neighbour company next door and asked if I could buy his shed, after some convincing, I got it at the end of 2018!

Time passes and I find myself in the same situation I was in a couple years earlier, too little space, too much money.

So I approached my (new) neighbour and made him an "offer he couldn't refuse" and he didn't, so I consumed his shed back in 2020 and now own the entire 'lot' where there was 3 there is now 1, there is no space left to consume and once again... I'm out of space and got the money but nobody to buyout...

So I'm currently in the plans of moving everything somewhere bigger!

I came back to wow about 4 months ago cause I found a window in my weekly routine that I wanted to be totally different from anything I already do within the week.

Pic - Me beside one of my cnc turning centres which has 12in Main Spindle and 8in sub Spindle along with a Barfeeder, Parts Catcher, Live Tooling, C axis, Y axis and automated touch probe sensor.

What about yourselves?

You certainly have every reason to feel proud. But I don't think this thread will go far. Not because it's in the wrong forum...well, OK it is. But not many have a life.

You needed to stop WoW to take up a trade? To be honest i don't understand how this is WoW-related at all.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    You needed to stop WoW to take up a trade? To be honest i don't understand how this is WoW-related at all.
    He said it was back in Cata. And WOW was a life...sorta. Nowadays not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    He said it was back in Cata. And WOW was a life...sorta. Nowadays not so much.
    I can read, thank you? The point still stands. I mean it's great he found a job and all, but i find it weird to be boasting about your career on a gaming forum. But that's just me.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    It's an interesting topic, and you often see similar traits with former WoW players with repetitive detailed work. We all kind of share(d) that attraction to the depth of wow and it's grind, and those traits carry over into life outside of or after wow. I do also think people can apply some of the same wow skills in other areas. There are some parallels with raid leading and team leading, and there are a lot of other examples.

So the topic on this one is fine, it is just probably is a better fit over in Chat Zone. This one might get moved over there I suspect.

Way to go! Some of my clients and especially old friends of mine are still playing WOW but haven't done anything as great as you have