Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They have rich storytelling in the book but not the game. The Sylvanas book paints such a better picture of Sylvanas and Zovaal. We get to know her motiviations, that she distrusted Zovaal until the end of Legion, that she felt she wasn't part of the horde but played the part to protect the forsaken. And the same for Zovaal. We get to know he was the arbiter and saw it all, saw how bad the shadowlands work with the kyrian doing their job without thinking, maldraxxus only protecting the shadowlands and ignoring all other threats and how families, friends and lovers get separated in the afterlife dispite doing the right things while they lived. Also his prophecies about Sylvanas that became true. In the book it's a rich and compelling story where we get to know the motiviation of the characters, understand why Sylvanas trusted Zovaal and get that tought that maybe he's the good guy after all.

The problem is that it's all in the book that came out when the expansion was finished. That story should've been in the game. Give us a 3 or 5 Minute video where Sylvanas talked to Anduin and told him what she saw when she threw herself off of icecrown and met Zovaal or just give us a piece of paper we find in torghast where we could've read that. It's such a shame that they have christie golden who is a competent writer but doesn't get involved in actually writing for the game but is instead only hired as an advisor.

Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post
    They have rich storytelling in the book but not the game. The Sylvanas book paints such a better picture of Sylvanas and Zovaal. We get to know her motiviations, that she distrusted Zovaal until the end of Legion, that she felt she wasn't part of the horde but played the part to protect the forsaken. And the same for Zovaal. We get to know he was the arbiter and saw it all, saw how bad the shadowlands work with the kyrian doing their job without thinking, maldraxxus only protecting the shadowlands and ignoring all other threats and how families, friends and lovers get separated in the afterlife dispite doing the right things while they lived. Also his prophecies about Sylvanas that became true. In the book it's a rich and compelling story where we get to know the motiviation of the characters, understand why Sylvanas trusted Zovaal and get that tought that maybe he's the good guy after all.

The problem is that it's all in the book that came out when the expansion was finished. That story should've been in the game. Give us a 3 or 5 Minute video where Sylvanas talked to Anduin and told him what she saw when she threw herself off of icecrown and met Zovaal or just give us a piece of paper we find in torghast where we could've read that. It's such a shame that they have christie golden who is a competent writer but doesn't get involved in actually writing for the game but is instead only hired as an advisor.

But the Zovaal told Valkyries to keep Sylvanas alive, yeah?

Or? That's how I understood from others people statements about the book.

Then, how the F can Zovaal be in contact with Valkyries when they were created by Odyn, on Azeroth?

Retcons much?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordjust View Post

Thanks for the writeup. I never read the books and this is some information that should've been in the game instead of dramatic trash they put in.

On the side note, if the next expansion is about dragons, I'm going to pass. I've been waiting on Light vs Void for so long and won't be hanging around some filler stuff. The game needs to move on.
    Besides, dragon lore is literally everywhere in fantasy. It's too saturated that I have no interest. Guild Wars 2 have a way better dragon design than WoW anyway.

Wow HAS rich story. Everyone who says it doesnt is lying. There is literally thousands of pages of story in quests, cinematics, NPC dialogs and so on. So many characters and their stories intertwined. 15+ years of storytelling. So there IS a rich story.

Now if you LIKE the story that is different question.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    I hope there is not a new class
    We definitely need new classes. Do not play them if you don´t want them.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Not petty. They deserve to lose their job for doing such a POOR effort for years, anyone else would have lost their jobs at this point.
    What poor job exactly?

You do realise that its a small minority that actualle decides how the game should be right? Most people there are just doing as their are told.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    We definitely need new classes. Do not play them if you don´t want them.
    I'd wager anyone who actually plays the game a decent bit really wants some change in gameplay.

Classes have been the same since the start of legion+

Wow sorely, sorely needs classes to feel fresh again and a new class can help with that.

Would be really cool to see an actual dual purpose spec. A spec that could stance change(or something similar) in combat to go from tank <-> dps or from dps <-> heal
    Last edited by ClassicPeon; 2022-04-13 at 11:23 AM.

Honestly, no Light vs Void no need/sub. That's literally the last big storyline.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll have my bingo card and popcorn ready for this. Let's see if they can't top the cringe of floating trees and water you can walk on nonsense praise from the 9.2 reveal or their own confusion from the Shadowlands reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Antontein View Post
    Wow HAS rich story. Everyone who says it doesnt is lying. There is literally thousands of pages of story in quests, cinematics, NPC dialogs and so on. So many characters and their stories intertwined. 15+ years of storytelling. So there IS a rich story.

Now if you LIKE the story that is different question.
    Problem is you are referring to the abundance of storylines in WoW, the blue post is literally talking about "rich storytelling" or the quality of storytelling which people are rightfully criticising.
    Elune: "My sister needed Anima so I let my favoured people die. What is this 'Maw' you speak of?"
    Daily reminder that Steam has never had a monopoly on PC Gaming, don't mistake age and popularity for domination.
    Because people don't understand words: Forced and Necessity

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilela View Post
    I'll probably end up streaming a live reaction or something. Can't say I'm terribly optimistic about things, but at least we have a reveal time to work with now.

There's multiple reasons people have for wanting the expansion to fail, with varying degrees of validity.

1. The expansion tanking would send a message that current design philosophy isn't a good thing. When a game succeeds financially, it doesn't matter how negative the reception towards the game is.
    2. Building off of that, people hoping for an industry crash in general run under the presumption that the industry would come out better than its current state for it (Hint: It wouldn't)
    3. People just plain ol' don't like the people who develop/publish the game, for their own reasons.
    4. Cataclysmic game failures can sometimes be hilarious to some people.
    You forgot one of the most likely: they're addicted to the game and keep coming back, so they want to see the game completely crash and burn so they can (hopefully) make a clean break from it, and finally be free.

Well, game is rich in story, it's just utter crap in dire need of a complete restart

Leave it to the WoW community to work themselves into a froth over generic PR speak.

Quote Originally Posted by catseye543 View Post
    Leave it to the WoW community to work themselves into a froth over generic PR speak.
    Was just about to say this. Kinda ironic that most complain blizzard are out of touch with reality when reacting like it isn't a pr statement is very much so in of itself.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Their marketing is fine, they're just not marketing the game to the hopelessly cynical, terminally online people who inhabit echo chambers like this forum. That's why they're a billion dollar company. B-)
    Leave it to the terminally delusional and hopelessly addicted to diagnose others.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    Leave it to the terminally delusional and hopelessly addicted to diagnose others.
    What else would you call five fucking pages of 3 to 5 people making the same dumb fucking joke and giving themselves internet high fives for sharing the same opinion?

3+ Year Old Account
    They could have just went with not addressing it and instead saying something about new directions and other wank like that. Good marketing is also to read the room and making the most out of it. Inviting ridicule is hardly the goal here. It's actually kinda shocking how bad their marketing is considering they are still a billion dollar company.
    While I do agree that they probably could have gotten away without the "Rich storytelling" line, I have a feeling they're marketing more towards people who are still wholly enjoying themselves with WoW as well as shareholders, rather than the MMOCs and other "WoW sucks now" forums.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    You forgot one of the most likely: they're addicted to the game and keep coming back, so they want to see the game completely crash and burn so they can (hopefully) make a clean break from it, and finally be free.
    Also valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    I wouldn't boast about storytelling lol...
    YOu hating the storytelling does not mean everyone did. There are those that did and those that didn't. That is how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    What else would you call five fucking pages of 3 to 5 people making the same dumb fucking joke and giving themselves internet high fives for sharing the same opinion?
    Projecting much?

Says the one who is doing the same thing by labeling and attacking those he does not agree with.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    Not petty. They deserve to lose their job for doing such a POOR effort for years, anyone else would have lost their jobs at this point.
    That is your opinion. Not fact. Others disagree with you. Blizzard disagrees with you. People never lose their jobs because of one player opinion of them. They sure as heck do not deserve to lose their jobs because you say they should.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    What other job can you do this poorly and not lose your job?
    That is your opinion. Blizzard disagrees with you. Nobody loses their job because you think they do their job poorly. The only reason you think they have done a poor job is because they do not cater the game to you and what you want. That is not a valid reason to say they do a poor job.
    Last edited by rrayy; 2022-04-13 at 09:00 PM.

Projecting much?
    Oh, I guess I'm supposed to be impressed with this community's ability to take a completely meaningless PR statement and spin it into some kind of out-of-touch rebuke of the game's current state. DAE fruit bowls?

What other job can you do this poorly and not lose your job?
    Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton