Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie N View Post
    Wtf? xD Why would you need a gun for wildlife?
    There are more than a few large, destructive, and dangerous animals in the US. If you grew up in the suburbs, I understand if you don't realize this, but it is the case.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    There are more than a few large, destructive, and dangerous animals in the US. If you grew up in the suburbs, I understand if you don't realize this, but it is the case.
    I did. We had some of these (minus bears). Somehow, we managed to survive without our home being destroyed or any of us being mauled.

Fuckin wild.

The US isn't the "Wild West" anymore. It's not some untamed wilderness full of unknown, dangerous animals any longer. It hasn't been for a very, very long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Notably, not a threat to people. Just their lawns. An invasive species that the state should take care of? Absolutely. But somehow I don't think that vineyard owners have much of an actual need for an AR-15 or AR-15-style weapon.

I just because it's a hilarious joke unironically given by a gun advocate who didn't seem to realize how preposterous and rare such an event is, nor that there are other options beyond going John Rambo on them.
    To a lot of people, like farmers, their "lawn" is their livelihood. These are extremely aggressive and destructive animals. Do you need an AR-15 for them? No. Do you need a rifle for them? Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

I did. We had some of these (minus bears). Somehow, we managed to survive without our home being destroyed or any of us being mauled.

Fuckin wild.
    Good for you? If you ran a small farm and a pack of wolves was in the yard tearing about your livelihood, I doubt you'd be so cavalier about it.
    -ynnady

To a lot of people, like farmers, their "lawn" is their livelihood.
    Good thing I was mostly mocking the lawn bit. Also, how many farmers does this apply to, out of curiosity? Are there other alternatives beyond just going John Rambo on a pack of 30-50 wild hogs rampaging through your property every weekend or something?

These are extremely aggressive and destructive animals.
    Damn man, sounds like a good job for the state and federal government to work on an actual plan to reduce population numbers and prevent the problem from growing vs. just hoping the local armed farmers handle the job on their own without any coordination.

Do you need a rifle for them? Yes.
    Arguably, no, you don't.

Yea, there can be some nasty critters out there. I know in rural PA they get warnings every now and then about bears.

Good for you? If you ran a small farm and a pack of wolves was in the yard tearing about your livelihood, I doubt you'd be so cavalier about it.
    How often is this actually a problem, though? I mean, all these examples are fairly edge-case scenarios with multiple alternative solutions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yea, there can be some nasty critters out there. I know in rural PA they get warnings every now and then about bears.
    Do people actually like, shoot them? Because from what I've seen it's mostly the city/county that handle bears when they're getting to close to people. Tranquilizing and removing them vs. just lighting them up with a hail of bullets.

How often is this actually a problem, though? I mean, all these examples are fairly edge-case scenarios with multiple alternative solutions.
    Wolves tend to avoid humans. So..not a common occurrence.

- - - Updated - - -

Do people actually like, shoot them? Because from what I've seen it's mostly the city/county that handle bears when they're getting to close to people. Tranquilizing and removing them vs. just lighting them up with a hail of bullets.
    It's more a case of staying alert...and having a shotgun on hand as a precaution.

Good thing I was mostly mocking the lawn bit. Also, how many farmers does this apply to, out of curiosity? Are there other alternatives beyond just going John Rambo on a pack of 30-50 wild hogs rampaging through your property every weekend or something?

Damn man, sounds like a good job for the state and federal government to work on an actual plan to reduce population numbers and prevent the problem from growing vs. just hoping the local armed farmers handle the job on their own without any coordination.

Arguably, no, you don't.
    The reintroduction of wolves has been an incredible benefit to the environment, but it does put ranchers in a difficult position that they need to be able to defend their livestock from. We need more wolves, not less. Bears are also extremely important to the environment, and not out of control at all. If anything, their population may be too low in the parts of the US where they are endemic.

Ranchers with simple rifles are not where all the gun violence in this country is coming from. I don't know why you are so intent to make their lives harder.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you keep talking about hails of bullets? Do you think every rifle is a fully kitted out AK-47?!?!
    -ynnady

To others in this thread do not bother replying to this person, just some of their past comments.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post52953061
    Dark skin, looks ugly.

Smoking, smell so bad and it ruins your health.

Beard, look so bad with beard, look unkempt.

Talking loud in public, lack of respect for your environment.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post52703776
    Democracy is bad.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...1#post52611034
    Execute them

My parents live in rural PA. The bear population is well maintained, but very present. They do absolutely need to be put down sometimes by residents.
    -ynnady

It's more a case of staying alert...and having a shotgun on hand as a precaution.
    https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-an...ethal-outcomes

I guess, but also probably not since your average person with a shotgun isn't gonna have the rounds to actually kill the bear and will instead just injure the shit outta the bear and force it to eventually be euthanized by authorities anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hi. Canadian, here, who's lived rurally and done plenty of camping in territory with bears and such.

Never owned a gun. Never needed a gun. Run into plenty of big, dangerous wildlife. Managed to not die by knowing what the fuck to do about it and not being a panicky moron.

If you're going into the woods in grizzly territory in mating season, the bears get ornery, sure, and you might want to go armed. But chances are the bear's gonna come out of the bushes beside you before you can even know it's there and the gun's not gonna fuckin' help one bit. You shouldn't be out there, at that kind of time.

Other than that, nah. You don't need a gun. It's not actually gonna help. It's a very violent security blanket; you're carrying it because you're scared of the dark, not because you need it.

https://www.krtv.com/news/montana-an...ethal-outcomes

I guess, but also probably not since your average person with a shotgun isn't gonna have the rounds to actually kill the bear and will instead just injure the shit outta the bear and force it to eventually be euthanized by authorities anyways.
    Birdshot isn't a great solution to a bad bear situation. A high powered rifle is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Hi. Canadian, here, who's lived rurally and done plenty of camping in territory with bears and such.

Never owned a gun. Never needed a gun. Run into plenty of big, dangerous wildlife. Managed to not die by knowing what the fuck to do about it and not being a panicky moron.

If you're going into the woods in grizzly territory in mating season, the bears get ornery, sure, and you might want to go armed. But chances are the bear's gonna come out of the bushes beside you before you can even know it's there and the gun's not gonna fuckin' help one bit. You shouldn't be out there, at that kind of time.

Other than that, nah. You don't need a gun. It's not actually gonna help. It's a very violent security blanket; you're carrying it because you're scared of the dark, not because you need it.
    The irony is that you are less in need of a weapon like that while out in the wilderness. It's the bears that wander into human areas that are dangerous, and actually it's even more important to be able to put down smaller rabid animals quickly. I grew up in bear country, my parents live in a different bear country, and I've never heard of anyone needing to put down a bear in the actual forest. It's always in a populated area.

I'm more concerned with rural ranchers than with everyday civilians though. Rural ranchers have a lot more reason to interact with that wildlife.
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more concerned with rural ranchers than with everyday civilians though. Rural ranchers have a lot more reason to interact with that wildlife.
    We're still talking about a possibility that a few farmers and the like may want to have a shotgun on hand. Maybe a couple, for him and a family member, or something.

Not an arsenal.

At best, it's the kind of tool you might need to reach for once or twice a decade.

We have dangerous animals here too. We don't need guns. If you're hunting you can have it but you don't get to keep one just in case.

10+ Year Old Account

Fuckin wild.

The US isn't the "Wild West" anymore. It's not some untamed wilderness full of unknown, dangerous animals any longer. It hasn't been for a very, very long time.
    Pssst, they meant brown and black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not "edge case" at all. California issues thousands of depredation permits each year for pig, mountain lion, etc.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

While it is entirely unsurprising that discussion over any shooting turns quickly to gun control, we have a dedicated thread for that.

I know the wild hog joke is funny, but its only funny because of the numbers idiots threw out there. Needing a rifle for wild hog packs is not ridiculous. Wild hogs are dangerous and destructive. We do have wolves in parts of the country. I grew up in downstate New York, not exactly the middle of nowhere, and black bears were extremely common.

Do any of these things require 9mm handguns or semi-automatic rifles? No, that's fucking insane. But wanting a shotgun or a simple rifle for that kind of situation is not crazy.
    People that joke about wild boars should see the size of the stuffed boar my grandpa hunted and keeps in his garage. Its bssicslly the size of a sedan.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    It's not "edge case" at all. California issues thousands of depredation permits each year for pig, mountain lion, etc.
    Yeah, the idea that you never need a gun for wildlife is completely unrealistic. A farmer kilometers away from the nearest town needs a way to rid themselves of wild hogs, bears, wolves and other potentially dangerous animals that he can't be expected to chase away with a stick and a loose dog. Obviously that doesn't mean you need five AR-15s and a dozen handguns, but ye olde double-barrel or a bolt-action makes perfect sense and it would be silly to throw the baby out with the bathwater and remove those options legally.

My best friend's dad lives far out in the countryside and he's had to shoot hogs before. They're a menace, huge and incredibly ill-tempered. Authorities are tracking them and disposing of dangerous populations as necessary but Québec is vast, much like many states of the US and they can't be everywhere at once. He'd wait days for them to show up, during which time he and his family are in potential danger by going out on their own grounds. That's just not something to ask of him and his.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.