View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    7+ Year Old Account
    Fantastic news this week as imperial measures are on their way back, thanks to Brexit. Not just pounds and ounces, petrol in gallons not litres please.

Brexit benefits voted for by the British, delivered by our Boris - A quarter of Brexit bonbons please. Some might say this is just symbolic but it isn't. Day by day we diverge away from EU rules and regulations ensuring that should a misguided government in the future ever entertain the signing away of British sovereignty in favour of the EU once again it will be very very difficult to do this in the lifetime of one parliament.

Three cheers to the Tories for safeguarding our long term bright Brexit future!
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Fantastic news this week as imperial measures are on their way back, thanks to Brexit. Not just pounds and ounces, petrol in gallons not litres please.

Brexit benefits voted for by the British, delivered by our Boris - A quarter of Brexit bonbons please. Some might say this is just symbolic but it isn't. Day by day we diverge away from EU rules and regulations ensuring that should a misguided government in the future ever entertain the signing away of British sovereignty in favour of the EU once again it will be very very difficult to do this in the lifetime of one parliament.

Your "Brexit benefit" is using retarded units of measurement instead of the way simpler and more convenient international system? Really? That's the best you can come up with? You decided to shoot your country's future in the leg with a bazooka for the ability to be a retard?
    Last edited by Barzotti; 2022-06-01 at 06:35 PM.

Man, now I can see why the phrase 'ignorance is bliss' exists.

Not a single person under the age of 60 will ever use gallons for anything. Or ounces for that matter.

Just saying. Your average under 60 year old wouldn't even be able to tell you how many pints or litres are in a gallon without googling it.

And not a single penny will be spent by any industry anywhere to accommodate the 6 morons who want to buy their petrol in gallons.

Three cheers for Tories' Brexit and 6 boos for the UK's waning future because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Not a single person under the age of 60 will ever use gallons for anything. Or ounces for that matter.
    Hey now! I'm under 60 and I use ounces and divisions of for, umm, certain things...

7+ Year Old Account

Just saying. Your average under 60 year old wouldn't even be able to tell you how many pints or litres are in a gallon without googling it.

And not a single penny will be spent by any industry anywhere to accommodate the 6 morons who want to buy their petrol in gallons.
    I'm well under 60 and I still use gallons at the petrol pumps, of course it requires the mental ability to multiply the litre price by 4 and add 10% for a rough idea of price comparison, I can see why some struggle. Much simpler to have the price marked in gallons to begin with, an obvious Brexit benefit.

There is far more than just a fondness for imperial measures here in Britain, seems bananas are a recurring theme in an excellent example from back in the day...

Metric Martyrs 20 years on - how a bunch of bananas sold in Sunderland led to Brexit

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...s-how-20340101

And we thank them for their help in getting Brexit done, pioneers of their time if you will, some people may forget but many like me do not. They are being honoured in the return of proper measurements.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

I'm well under 60 and I still use gallons at the petrol pumps, of course it requires the mental ability to multiply the litre price by 4 and add 10% for a rough idea of price comparison, I can see why some struggle. Much simpler to have the price marked in gallons to begin with, an obvious Brexit benefit.
    Tell me you're a 75 year old retiree without telling me you're a 75 year old retiree.

Also...that's a guestimate, it's not an accurate conversion those sorts of errors tend to scale up on larger volumes, which is why industry is going to stick to metric.

That and the fact that 90% of the rest of the world exclusively uses metric and even the US uses metric for anything serious.

Whine some more. I'd buy some British cheese to go with that whine, but unfortunately Britain can't really export it anymore. Sad.

You still won't get your imperial measurements back. Keep jumping through hoops for no reason.

P.S satisfying the a 75 year old Australian retirees fetish for the 19th century at massive financial and political cost is not a benefit.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2022-06-01 at 10:56 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Tell me you're a 75 year old retiree without telling me you're a 75 year old retiree.

Also...that's a guestimate, it's not an accurate conversion those sorts of errors tend to scale up on larger volumes, which is why industry is going to stick to metric.

That and the fact that 90% of the rest of the world exclusively uses metric and even the US uses metric for anything serious.

Whine some more. I'd buy some British cheese to go with that whine, but unfortunately Britain can't really export it anymore. Sad.

You still won't get your imperial measurements back. Keep jumping through hoops for no reason.

P.S satisfying the a 75 year old Australian retirees fetish for the 19th century at massive financial and political cost is not a benefit.
    I have to disagree, we will see in time. Nobody puts larger volumes of fuel in their car and that "guesstimate" is good enough. The roads here in Britain are marked in miles, the car odometer reports miles an hour, fuel consumption in miles per gallon. The clear confusing anomaly, thanks to the EU, is fuel prices sold to the consumer in litres, when the whole world buys and sells oil by the barrel. Not some silly killilitre or whatever...

The British people are well versed in pints, gallons, firkins, kilderkins, barrels etc of many liquids for sale. As a result of Brexit these can now be standardised and reverted for all.

A clear Brexit benefit, Britain leaving the EU and re-joining the world.

The worst part about imperial is it doesn't even mean the same thing! For example, a UK gallon is 160 fluid ounces (4.54 litres) while a US gallon is 128 fluid ounces (3.785 litres). Because it's not bad enough that you need to remember some weird arbitrary numbers for conversion, but you need to remember double the amount and then ask 'which gallon?' before doing anything.

He might be trolling, but at least this is funny.
    Last edited by Trifle; 2022-06-01 at 11:34 PM.

There is far more than just a fondness for imperial measures here in Britain, seems bananas are a recurring theme in an excellent example from back in the day...

Metric Martyrs 20 years on - how a bunch of bananas sold in Sunderland led to Brexit

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...s-how-20340101

And we thank them for their help in getting Brexit done, pioneers of their time if you will, some people may forget but many like me do not. They are being honoured in the return of proper measurements.
    Anybody who works to any degree of accuracy uses metric and that includes the Yanks. 4.52 litres to a gallon to be exact, but how could we ever expect you to be accurate about anything? So you carry on doing you and cheering for a liar.
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

LOL, you think this is a benefit? You aren't from England.

A world that is laughing at Britain because of Brexit and 95% of the population use Metric exclusively.

I have to disagree, we will see in time. Nobody puts larger volumes of fuel in their car and that "guesstimate" is good enough. The roads here in Britain are marked in miles, the car odometer reports miles an hour, fuel consumption in miles per gallon. The clear confusing anomaly, thanks to the EU, is fuel prices sold to the consumer in litres, when the whole world buys and sells oil by the barrel. Not some silly killilitre or whatever...

The British people are well versed in pints, gallons, firkins, kilderkins, barrels etc of many liquids for sale. As a result of Brexit these can now be standardised and reverted for all.

Flailing a bit there, eh dribbles? You do understand that this reads like a sarcastic parody of a Brexiteer? The pathetic attempts to paint a giant step backwards as a "benefit".

It's no wonder, really. Boris is on his final stand, it's only a question of time before he goes. In the meantime Tories are actively talking about a Norway solution to the problems Brexit has created. Which would include sorting out the GFA issues that the NI Protocol has "caused". And you are well aware that rejoining the trade side of the EU would inevitably lead to the conversations starting up about rejoining; "why do we just have to accept their trading rules without any input? Wouldn't it make more sense to be part of the process that makes those rules?"

You got your Brexit, now everyone can see how shit it is. Moving back towards the EU is inevitable now, the only question is how long it takes. You and I may not live to see it, but I guarantee you that we'll live to see it start.

You won the referendum, and in doing so lost the war. All because the people pushing for Brexit were useless at actually implementing it. I'd take schadenfreude from this, if it weren't for the fact that Brexiteers have smeared their misfortune all over the rest of us.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    He might be trolling, but at least this is funny.
    I think that some brexiters are missing something in the laugh. The world laughing, but the world is not laughing with them, instead we have:

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    A world that is laughing at Britain because of Brexit and 95% of the population use Metric exclusively.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean if you grow using the imperial system it makes perfect sense to keep using it. Because 12 pebbles= 1 stone = 1.5 sheepblatter. But if you changed to metric and enjoy those logical benefits and go back to imperial is hilarious. It's like going to work while walking on your hands when you used to go there by car.

You look like dumber version of Onslow from keeping up apperances dont you?

For the benefit of anyone who isn't familiar, imperial hasn't been taught in UK schools since about 1974. That means you'd likely have to be about 58+ years old to even have a chance of remembering when it was taught in schools, never mind actually using it in real life.

Most of the population knows virtually nothing about imperial.

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    For the benefit of anyone who isn't familiar, imperial hasn't been taught in UK schools since about 1974. That means you'd likely have to be about 58+ years old to even have a chance of remembering when it was taught in schools, never mind actually using it in real life.

Sorry, but that isn't true. I started working in Sainsburys while in college in 1983. Fruit and veg was still sold in both pounds and KGs at that point, and there were plenty of people that still wanted it in pounds. Dribbles is still talking nonsense about people wanting it back (businesses are basically saying that even if it were made legal, they wouldn't want the extra costs of doing anything).

So it's still going to be the older part of the population, but there are still a decent number who can remember using it in real life. Hell, ask a random 100 people in the UK what they weigh, and chances are a decent number would tell you in stones and pounds, not KGs.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post

Au contraire, Imperial measurements were re-introduced into the British school national curriculum as soon as Brexit became almost inevitable back in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Sorry, but that isn't true. I started working in Sainsburys while in college in 1983. Fruit and veg was still sold in both pounds and KGs at that point, and there were plenty of people that still wanted it in pounds. Dribbles is still talking nonsense about people wanting it back (businesses are basically saying that even if it were made legal, they wouldn't want the extra costs of doing anything).

So it's still going to be the older part of the population, but there are still a decent number who can remember using it in real life. Hell, ask a random 100 people in the UK what they weigh, and chances are a decent number would tell you in stones and pounds, not KGs.
    I'm surprised someone of your vintage isn't a Brexiteer, the vast majority are you know. You do make a fair point about people in the UK reporting their weight in stones, and to this day one of the first things a mother and baby newborn in the UK hears is it's birth weight expressed in lbs and oz's such is the importance of imperial measurements. This continues throughout its adult life.

Not just weight either, personal height is more commonly expressed in feet and inches, waist in inches etc etc. I would say most real world measurements in Britain are imperial, with metric reserved for the sciences and maths.

Brexit will make that return to imperial in UK real life official, something not allowed when were in the EU, and a far simpler system if you ask me. It really is a benefit you highlight and I agree with, enabled by the return of UK sovereignty from Brexit, we both can drink a pint or two to that.

Three cheers for Brexit!