Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely.

Even at it´s current state with Shadowlands (the worse the game has been at by far) it is still the only MMO worth playing :s (next to classic and FF if you are into its style).

wow had commercial with Chuck Norris, i dont think any game ever could top THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Ive never heard of 90% of those games.
    I listed Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fortnite, DayZ, and Rust. Thats 5 games. So you are claiming you have only KIND OF heard of ONE of those games? Like i said, living in a bubble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

I think it's very hard to get unbiased opinions on this matter due to the decline of wow.

Many people saying that wow isnt even close wouldve probably though differently back then, when they had not played wow for so long. People tend to forget how great the game was for them.

Hard you asked this from me in vanilla-tbc, I wouldve praised the shit out of this game and said it is revolutionary for the mmo-scene. I still consider it the greatest mmo (and as a fact the most popular) of all time, but it's been so long since TBC that I have hard time praising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davryn View Post
    Cultural impact and impact on gaming industry
    More than Everquest? More than Fortnite? DayZ? Gran Turismo? Doom? Halflife? Tetris? Mario Bros? PacMan? Halo? GTA? Minecraft?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    more people read tabloids than "serious" newspapers, does that mean tabloids are better?

just... no... after almost 2decades in genre MAYBE 1-2 are as big as wow, now that is past its prime, thats it...

remember all the "wowkillers"? those were all games that wanted to be like wow but failed terribly... hell even now wow is used as measurement in its genre, if thats not telling you something you are beyond help
    Sigh. You are in your bubble. Even Diablo Immortal has a bigger community than wow. Just because you are not aware of the other mmos, because they are on a platform you dont support (mobile, console) or from a region you are not from (Asia) does not mean they dont exist or shouldnt be counted. Its the exact same story with you guys, just head in the sand pure denial fingers in the ear screaming "lalalalala wow is the greatest game of all time lalalalala".

Since no one seems capable or willing to answer, give me one tangible measure where wow is the best game.
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

Greatest no. Impactful yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    I listed Call of Duty, Battlefield, Fortnite, DayZ, and Rust. Thats 5 games. So you are claiming you have only KIND OF heard of ONE of those games? Like i said, living in a bubble.
    If a game shifts expectations for other titles of its genre then it’s had a big impact. All those titles you listed fall under niches, or genres. Some genres are pretty new, and games like Fortnite had years to polish and fine tune battle royale (H1Z1 and Battlegrounds came first).

Games or franchises that are milked have had a great support from modern audiences, regardless of whether or not you’ve heard of them. Some are popularized later on, hence cult followings.

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    If a game shifts expectations for other titles of its genre then it’s had a big impact. All those titles you listed fall under niches, or genres. Some genres are pretty new, and games like Fortnite had years to polish and fine tune battle royale (H1Z1 and Battlegrounds came first).

Games or franchises that are milked have had a great support from modern audiences, regardless of whether or not you’ve heard of them. Some are popularized later on, hence cult followings.
    So you rank EverQuest above wow?

Phone games are by far the most popular since having a smartphone is a basic requirement. So things like Angry Birds has 300 million installs.

PCs are a shrinking share of the market but Minecraft can run on integrated graphics so it has an install of 150 million.

Then you have games requiring full blown gaming rigs which are a luxury item. WoW has like 3-4 million players.

WoW is a game for old farts with money to blow on rigs. Getting increasingly niche as we go along. One thing Blizz really needed to do was offer a version of WoW that runs fine on integrated graphics.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

It's hands down the best MMO considering its entire lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -

More than Everquest? More than Fortnite? DayZ? Gran Turismo? Doom? Halflife? Tetris? Mario Bros? PacMan? Halo? GTA? Minecraft?

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh. You are in your bubble. Even Diablo Immortal has a bigger community than wow. Just because you are not aware of the other mmos, because they are on a platform you dont support (mobile, console) or from a region you are not from (Asia) does not mean they dont exist or shouldnt be counted. Its the exact same story with you guys, just head in the sand pure denial fingers in the ear screaming "lalalalala wow is the greatest game of all time lalalalala".

Since no one seems capable or willing to answer, give me one tangible measure where wow is the best game.
    You don't judge a game that is 18 years by the "now". It's got 18 years behind. That in itself is a proof. What other mmos have lived this long with millions of subs? What mmo had as many subs at their peaks as wow?

Nothing else compares.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    It kind of is in the same way The Simpsons is the greatest sitcom of all time
    This is probably the most accurate analogy for WoW. It had its "Golden Years" where everyone loved it, and slowly went downhill to the point a lot of people think it should just end. Meanwhile there's a small core of fans who have seen every episode and are still waiting for the next season like "This one will be just as good as season 9, just watch!"

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    wow had commercial with Chuck Norris, i dont think any game ever could top THAT
    Blizzard should do a WoW commercial with Keanu Reeves next
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Quote Originally Posted by Loveliest View Post
    It's hands down the best MMO considering its entire lifetime.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't judge a game that is 18 years by the "now". It's got 18 years behind. That in itself is a proof. What other mmos have lived this long with millions of subs? What mmo had as many subs at their peaks as wow?
    So as expected, we are now only comparing it to other MMOs, and not all games. As expected, the wow fans just twist and change the discussion, adding more and more conditions to the equation until only wow is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit446 View Post
    Idgaf how you feel about this expansion or that expansion. Or what parts of the lore you like or don't like. Even at it's worst patches of its worst expansions WoW was revolutionary and that's why it stood the test of time so far.

Edit: I'm glad everyone has kept this civil. I realize this is entirely subjective opinion and I don't mean to call it "the" greatest game. But something about the game, not the patches, the changes but the underlying, unchanging structure of the game itself, the classes, the arenas and pvp, the ui, the whole design of the game just offers a 'feel" to playing that none of the wow killer mmos have been able to succeed at. And the game just keeps people addicted, made a huge impact on everything etc. And definitely places it in the hall of Fame. Of course wow had it's "glory days" and its greatness is weighted towards that, but I'm just referring to the game as a whole and it's legacy. That's truly the only way I can describe it as far as mmos go is when I try any other.. it's just the "feel" of playing that I can't replicate. Even simple things such as the text and graphics contribute to that
    I agree. Had lot's of fights with haters - my whole existance in here is to whiteknight.

It's better with datas.

Not one of the greatest game :
    https://www.metacritic.com/browse/ga...l/all/filtered

But one of the most impactul.
    https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...nite,Minecraft

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played over 25 MMORPGs but World of Warcraft seems to always be the one that feels like home. I love new adventures within other worlds and have played them on a semi-high scale just to return to Azeroth again.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by HansOlo View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

I don't have interest in Skateboard games, so it's subjective(#2 Tony Hawks - even if it's technically a masterpiece back then) - so I think we should look at best MMOs of all times.
    That's not the point of the thread. Nothing subjective about those datas. While what you are saying is.
    And being the best among low quality content is not something I would bloat about. But yeah probably the best one.
    Last edited by Tarba; 2022-08-09 at 08:30 AM.

But really, wow wasnt even close to the first mmo, but what it did do is give it a small amount of mainstream publicity and popularity. I just think people confuse "the best of all time" with "my personal favorite". Because i cant think of a single objective measure that would put wow even in the top 10 games of all time.
    You aren't even trying, if you can't think of a single measure that would put wow in the top 10. But where people here live In the bubble of thinking WoW is the GOAT game, you seem to be in the bubble of WoW haters. I fall into the category that Wow must be considered as one of the greats, but wouldn't put it in the same category with the absolute giants such as Super Mario, Minecraft, League of Legends, GTA and Street Fighter games.

In case you want to start an argument what is an objective measure, please provide me with several examples of such objective measures that have both validity and reliabiality, if you don't agree with mine:
    - Biggest game in its' genre for 18 consecutive years, the only game to be so dominant in a non-niche genre.
    - Biggest subscription-based game for 18 consecutive years.
    - One of the highest grossing video games of all time. I think this alone is enough to consider WoW to be one of the greats - basically every big game is made for money and WoW succeeded in it.
    Last edited by facefist; 2022-08-09 at 08:52 AM.

It is inarguably one of the best games ever made. In my opinion it's not been *as* good since after MOP (and I think it took a step down when they removed the old world with more RPG-ish elements.

I do enjoy the people who are on a WoW fan site who want to trash WoW and say it's awful though, it's really quite amusing.