Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I miss gladiator spec

Sure it wasn't the best but it was really cool and fun to play, and it was quite unique, you rarely get to use shields offensively in video games. What's the harm in leaving some cool fun specs in the game even if they aren't optimal?

Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Sure it wasn't the best but it was really cool and fun to play, and it was quite unique, you rarely get to use shields offensively in video games. What's the harm in leaving some cool fun specs in the game even if they aren't optimal?
    Ah fuck it is out of the game. I was going to try the newest expansion and am currently unlocking the allied races. i was planning on maining a Iron dwarf or the magah orcs to try out the new warrior 4th spec. Guess it is out of the game lol

Gladiator Stance was the only time I ever enjoyed doing DPS on my warrior. I always enjoyed prot but not arms or fury. I didn't care when it was underpowered, it was still a good way to do solo content without it taking forever and it was handy for when we had too many tanks (this actually was a problem in my guild at the time)
    then they made it too powerful and it caused problems with people speccing prot for DPS and obviously that should have been addressed but it's one of the many things that Blizz instead of putting in the time to fix just threw away

I think it'd work better as like an arms talent. So instead of turning tank abilities instead dps abilities, it'd alter certain dps abilities to be shield focused. It'd also fix the "all warriors go prot" scenario.

I don't think being in the Prot tree would ever work out for it. It pretty much means it needs to be the inferior dps option at all times.
    Last edited by Myradin; 2022-05-04 at 07:07 PM.

I liked it.

We kind of have it now in TBCC, where you're deep prot but you throw on full dps gear and it's quite a bit of fun having shield slam crits and devastates and revenges. It's how I play my warrior. I can do about 60-65% the dps of real dps when I'm not needed to tank. Good little middle ground when you don't have dual spec or a dps weapon.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't worry guys, they may have dropped it for Legion so they don't have to put any effort into making a fourth artefact but they say they will be looking to bringing it back after Legion.

And we can always count on Blizzard to follow through on the loose promises they make to placate unexpected player backlash :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Same, the only time i was into Warriors.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    I think it'd be nice to get new specs for every class except Druid at this point, that is probably the only thing I would want after Dragonflight apart from new race / class combos

Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    I think it'd work better as like an arms talent. So instead of turning tank abilities instead dps abilities, it'd alter certain dps abilities to be shield focused. It'd also fix the "all warriors go prot" scenario.

I don't think being in the Prot tree would ever work out for it. It pretty much means it needs to be the inferior dps option at all times.
    yep that sounds reasonable, just as fury has titan grip vs SMF arms could have option to either go 2h or 1h+shield

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Don't worry guys, they may have dropped it for Legion so they don't have to put any effort into making a fourth artefact but they say they will be looking to bringing it back after Legion.

And we can always count on Blizzard to follow through on the loose promises they make to placate unexpected player backlash :P
    Hmmm actually they said they will not bring it back as it was a confusing role to some players.
    Created on the 25th April 2005.
    Protection Warrior since the old days of UBRS.

P.S. Make a part of your warrior community happy and bring Gladiator Stance back...

15+ Year Old Account
    I miss it too. It was funny (and sometimes annoying) in pugs when people were confused who's the tank.
    Other than that it was super fun and powerful.

The only reason (or biggest one) people enjoyed it was because it was absolutely broken, and one of the* best damage dealing spec in the game when released.

As soon as it was nerfed (very soon, rightfully so) people stopped playing it.

The purpose was having tanks being able to dish out some more damage during off-tanking segments or being viable in pvp, not creating a completely bonkers dps spec with all the survivability of a prot warrior.

But yea, people seem to "like" anything that is remotely broken, go figure.

Good riddance.

(edit -> also, how is a stance that literally swaps one skill, a spec exactly?)
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2022-09-23 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    The only reason (or biggest one) people enjoyed it was because it was absolutely broken, and one of the* best damage dealing spec in the game when released.

The purpose was having tanks being able to dish out some more damage during off-tanking segments or being viable in pvp, not creating a completely bonkers dps spec with all the survivability of a prot warrior.

Good riddance.

This is wrong as in, you could not swap to glad stance while in combat so the 'off-tanking' part is wrong. you would commit to DPS before going into combat.

Also, even though you are right that min/maxers left the ability once it was not the best, this is also through for every other class. once a spec is not on top, you would see ppl changing spec and even class. example - file mage - balance druid to mention 2. Its known as flavor of the month.

Still there are people who like the spec and still play it even if not the best. I stuck to glad stance. A friend of mine stuck to frost mage even though she was constantly told to respec in pugs. Just like i played through shadow lands even though I could not get groups as a prot war and even got people surprised when I got invited in pugs....

Many people told me 'oh a prot warrior'
    Created on the 25th April 2005.
    Protection Warrior since the old days of UBRS.

P.S. Make a part of your warrior community happy and bring Gladiator Stance back...

As soon as it was the worst of the 3 damage specs people stopped playing it? Well fuck my ass and call me sally, imagine people not playing the worst performing spec. Aside from being weaker performing it was bad for progression because it had no burst/execute dps, didn't bring rallying cry and didn't have DBTS. Even when it was "overpowered" it was not taken for the world first in Highmaul.

Gladiator was unpopular because it was bad for progression and did less dps than the other 2 DPS specs.

The purpose was having tanks being able to dish out some more damage during off-tanking segments or being viable in pvp, not creating a completely bonkers dps spec with all the survivability of a prot warrior
    It literally had less practical survivability than an Arms Warrior in raids, Gladiator stance was locked once you entered combat and you lacked both the defensive bonuses of defensive stance and the ability to use shield block, meanwhile you gave up DBTS which allowed you become immune to melee damage for the duration, allowing you to cheese certain mechanics.

There was nothing overpowered about Gladiator, it had good sustained dps and that's literally the only thing it brought. You could bring up the overpowered in PvP aspect, completely negated when they stopped Shield Slam from dispelling when you were in Gladiator stance, spec was dead in PvP after that.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2022-09-23 at 06:20 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Almost like every other DPS spec in the game that fluctuates in popularity due to how powerful it is.

This line is as misinformed as it was when it was said back during WoD. You can't change in or out of glad stance during combat. Nor was this ever the stated design goal of gladiator stance.

I enjoyed long after it was nerfed till I stopped playing WoD due to my guild falling apart. Its removal was one of the reasons I didn't come back for Legion.

also, how is a stance that literally swaps one skill, a spec exactly?
    Because it changed up how the spec played as well as its roll.

The stance swapped out a key defensive ability for an ability that did damage and buffed further damage. A warrior in gladiator stance was not much different than most the tankier DPS specs.

That said, having it as a talent for prot was problematic. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think it'd be better as an Arms talent that lets arms sword and board dps instead. That way the entire class doesn't gravitate prot if "glad" happens to be the best dps for warrior.

7+ Year Old Account
    glad its gone was sniping away tank trinkets cause of bonus armor
    i guess now that bonus armor is gone its alright to bring back

With the recent changes to shield charge I'll play Prot and pretend I have glad stance.

RIP WoD. So much cut content, and the few ideas that DID make it in were gutted or removed in Legion.

Good riddance.

No that wasn't the purpose. You couldn't swap out of glad stance in combat you could not use it while tanking as a result. The purpose was to allow a gladiator style dps spec with sword and board as well as make the shields that often rotted on loot tables usable for another spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    No that wasn't the purpose. You couldn't swap out of glad stance in combat you could not use it while tanking as a result. The purpose was to allow a gladiator style dps spec with sword and board as well as make the shields that often rotted on loot tables usable for another spec.
    I phrased it wrong. What i meant with "off-tanking segments" were bosses where you didn't need another tank, so, instead of swapping in for a dps or having a useless spec for a specific boss, he could be useful as a dps.

Having a prot warrior replace shield block with shield charge isn't a "gladiator style dps spec with sword and board". It was just a prot with higher dps modifier.