Poll: Do you like Dragonriding?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It also doesn’t specify that the mount you knock them off is a dragonriding one, so when normal flying is unlocked people using that will be sitting ducks to anyone zipping past on dragonriding and in a griefing mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    It feels great, after doing the 22 min 48 glyph collection, you end up really feeling engaged when just flying a short distance. keeping the unlimited momentum.
    22m? I guess I'll have to find the optimizations! There are a few glyphs you probably need to leave last I guess (like the Apex one).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    My only annoyance, is that i cant dismount using my normal attacks, i'm so used to dismounting by pressing fireball, and with the new actionbar thats not happening.
    Action bars are clunky like that. It's some work setting up, but if you bind keys directly using add-ons like bindpad, M6 or Smack (my own clown shoes addon that probably nobody else uses) you don't have these sort of problems. To wit i can dismount from dragonriding by directly using my abilities, very useful to dismount into stealth or into glider for example.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    You can dismount people with your own dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Crash into another player with warmode at high speeds dismounts them.
    Ok, seems good then!

As a matter of fact, the net-o-matic doesn't work on dragons. In fact, it doesn't work in dragon isles at all (it says "you are in the wrong zone"), which I hope they'll fix by the time they reintroduce regular flying. Although maybe the dragon dismount ability will work against regular mounts and be enough, but it has a huge vigor cost (for context, 3 vigor is half of your total vigor if you have unlocked all the talents)
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-10-03 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Ok, seems good then!
    It does cost half your vigor if at full vigor. Kind of incentivizes PvP players to go slower and reserve vigor so they can both attack and evade with surge as needed which makes sense. Add the fact that there will be PvP objectives/world quests and solid gear from them and I think people will be active in World PvP during DF.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    It does cost half your vigor if at full vigor. Kind of incentivizes PvP players to go slower and reserve vigor
    Not sure how I feel about that. In my experience most people's tactic when it comes to world pvp is to avoid it and to do all they can to run away from it unless they are outnumbering you. The big vigor cost on dismount means it'll probably much easier to run away than to catch and dismount someone.

I'll have to finish farming the glyphs and test this for myself.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-10-03 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    Not sure how I feel about that. In my experience most people's tactic when it comes to world pvp is to avoid it and to do all they can to run away from it unless they are outnumbering you. The big vigor cost on dismount means it'll probably much easier to run away than to catch and dismount someone.

There is absolutely no reason NOT to run away from someone initiating 1v1 PvP. First strike advantage is massive and many classes entirely depend on it (especially range). If someone attacks you when you are unaware your best chance is to reset the fight so you can either avoid it or initiate it yourself on your terms. And really that type of PvP is not much more than ganking and many people just do not enjoy ganking or being ganked. People are much more likely to engage in world pvp when there is a clear objective around, be it a world quest or other type of event. Which makes sense. WoW is very much a goal-oriented game, not a sandbox. Even grinding is usually limited to a specific goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicpreds View Post
    But...that's not the point or Dragonriding??? You gotta glide around ny dude...
    what if I don't want to glide arround "my dude"?

Quote Originally Posted by Labambaprincess View Post
    what if I don't want to glide arround "my dude"?
    Come back in 10.2 when you can hover over mobs then. Till then if you want to move fast (at three times the speed you can move with conventional flight) you will have to glide.

7+ Year Old Account
    It does cost half your vigor if at full vigor. Kind of incentivizes PvP players to go slower and reserve vigor so they can both attack and evade with surge as needed which makes sense. Add the fact that there will be PvP objectives/world quests and solid gear from them and I think people will be active in World PvP during DF.
    the massive speed boost it gives easily allows you to recover that vigor cost, it is not

"3 vigor to dismount" it is "3 vigor to gain a MASSIVE speedboost, that also dismounts"
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

There is absolutely no reason NOT to run away from someone initiating 1v1 PvP. First strike advantage is massive and many classes entirely depend on it (especially range). If someone attacks you when you are unaware your best chance is to reset the fight so you can either avoid it or initiate it yourself on your terms. And really that type of PvP is not much more than ganking and many people just do not enjoy ganking or being ganked. People are much more likely to engage in world pvp when there is a clear objective around, be it a world quest or other type of event. Which makes sense. WoW is very much a goal-oriented game, not a sandbox. Even grinding is usually limited to a specific goal.
    I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense to run away, I'm just saying that it also should be equally possible to counter it.
    Besides more structured world pvp usually begins with ganking, which can snowball into a nice little brawl. Objectives are also good but I don't like world pvp to only ever happen in cleanly delimited times and places. Spontaneous world pvp is fun.

As an aside, people who complain that "world pvp is dead" are usually because they never want to take the initiative of getting it started in the first place. If running away is a lot easier than catching up, it's a lot harder to make world pvp happen.
    Last edited by ClownPrincess; 2022-10-03 at 10:18 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

The whole point of this is you are flying around the sky hunting down targets, when suddenly some sneaky fucker from atop a cliff spots you and slams through you like a fucking bird of prey, sending you falling to your fucking death. or you are flying low and slow while suddenly someone comes from behind and spending their 3 vigor does a MASSIVE speedboost and slams through you.

one moment let me get on beta to show both of you this ability. cause it is not "3 vigor, dismount a player" that is an ADDITIONAL effect.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not saying that it doesn't make sense to run away, I'm just saying that it also should be equally possible to counter it.
    You can counter it, by noticing the other player and dismounting them first.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-10-03 at 10:22 AM.

the massive speed boost it gives easily allows you to recover that vigor cost, it is not

"3 vigor to dismount" it is "3 vigor to gain a MASSIVE speedboost, that also dismounts"
    I mean yeah, if you keep moving downward you have the vigor back in 15 seconds. Which will have moved you quite far from the person who you dismounted and who is likely using their goblin gliders while cursing you.

- - - Updated - - -

Or really, by maneuvering.

I was talking about countering the "running away from pvp" tactic. When I talk about world pvp, it's usually from the perspective of the fucker who wants to kill you.

Anyway, maybe it's fine. It depends on a number of factors, like "how precisely do you have to aim at the other player to dismount them?"
    Depending on that it may be super easy for them to dodge it, or not. I really need to get to testing that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I've played with it on beta. I think it's great and would love to see the system being built upon and carrying over in future expansions and to other mounts.
    I agree. For the first week of using it. I am already done with it and find it more of a pain than a pleasure.

7+ Year Old Account
    I mean yeah, if you keep moving downward you have the vigor back in 15 seconds. Which will have moved you quite far from the person who you dismounted and who is likely using their goblin gliders while cursing you.

- - - Updated - - -

Or really, by maneuvering.
    you dont need to move "downward" idk if you know but you can go flat or even up, as long as you have enough speed, and still get vigor back, which this ability can easily give.

here is me using the 3 abilities, the little flap forward and the launch up are their own things

but that massive speed boost of a twirl forward is the abiltiy, and i am using it on cooldown here.

seems imgur might be overloaded tonight (and it does not like large mp4 files) so this is the best i can do.

as you can see the second time i use it in the video i stay level and regain 2 of the 3 vigor while staying level the entire time, without even doing any fancy manevurs. but with the propper management you can stay at the same altitude or even go up perpetually.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-10-03 at 10:32 AM.

Oh, so basically once you are fully upgraded Whirling Surge is self sustaining. This should alleviate a lot of the anxiety and complaints about dragon riding (mine included)

7+ Year Old Account
    I was talking about countering the "running away from pvp" tactic. When I talk about world pvp, it's usually from the perspective of the fucker who wants to kill you.

Anyway, maybe it's fine. It depends on a number of factors, like "how precisely do you have to aim at the other player to dismount them?"
    Depending on that it may be super easy for them to dodge it, or not. I really need to get to testing that stuff
    You want to run away from them?
    Out Maneuver them, dodge their whirl, hit them with your own so they fall instead, or just get awhile while they try to recover.

you dont need to move "downward" idk if you know but you can go flat or even up, as long as you have enough speed, and still get vigor back, which this ability can easily give.

here is me using the 3 abilities, the little flap forward and the launch up are their own things

but that massive speed boost of a twirl forward is the abiltiy, and i am using it on cooldown here.

seems imgur might be overloaded tonight (and it does not like large mp4 files) so this is the best i can do.
    Surge will give you Thrill of the Ride for a while (3 seconds) but once it is done you will lose the buff soon after if you are not moving slightly downward. It will almost always give you 1 vigor back unless you surge straight up. Or at least that's my experience with it. Maybe lag makes it less responsive and I lose the buff faster?