Poll: Do you like Dragonriding?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I like it but I don't like the world space in which we have to use it. They said that world design would change to accomodate dragonriding but I honestly don't see it. When I used it I felt like I was using it in a legion, BfA or Shadowlands zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enter Name Here View Post
    disclaimer: the following comes from a spoiled druid who is used to insta-flight-shift whenever

i'm afraid this is a feature that's only fun after a certain point/maxing it out

currently i have unlocked only 3 or 4 nodes in the dragon riding skill tree and to me it's only useful when going from a higher spot to a lower spot. if i need to get from A to B and B is at the same or higher elevation, i spend 1 or 2 of my (currently) 4 vigor to gain altitude and then spend the rest on the forward surge to get some speed. For long-distance flying i always go for a flight master because i can't imagine being able to get there with my dragon. this might be an intentional limitation to encourage getting all the glyphs or i am just that bad.

so far, i can't remember going 2-3 times the speed of normal flying like a lot of people in here are talking about; so i either haven't unlocked that yet, i am doing something very wrong or my perception of speed is flawed and i just didn't notice.

failing to reach a higher up spot feels quite punishing. i'd end up in a spot below with no vigor left and i just stand around waiting for vigor to replenish. currently thats about 25 seconds per point? with 4 vigor max that's 100 seconds of just idling around. even if i might need only 1 or 2 points to reach the spot, most of the times i'd wait for all of them to replenish because i don't want to find myself in the situation where i spent 2 points, barely not reaching it again, having just wasted 50 seconds just idling.
    again, it's a matter of training/knowing the environment

currently it feels like an oversized, scaly leap frog and i'm collecting all the glyphs i encounter waiting for the moment i start to enjoy the experience
    one of the things i found to keep up the thrill of the skies buff is when your at top speed and start to pull up, use the Skyward ascent to keep yourself in the buff but before Skyward ascent finishes level out with a bit of a decline to still stay in the buff. Rinse and repeat is what i did to get from Wingrest Embassy to Valdrakken with only Thrill Chaser and Drake and Rider Training to get 4 vigor
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    one of the things i found to keep up the thrill of the skies buff is when your at top speed and start to pull up, use the Skyward ascent to keep yourself in the buff but before Skyward ascent finishes level out with a bit of a decline to still stay in the buff. Rinse and repeat is what i did to get from Wingrest Embassy to Valdrakken with only Thrill Chaser and Drake and Rider Training to get 4 vigor
    thanks for the tip but that still requires you to start from a high enough spot to gain speed from the decline, right?
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    Just like how they said they'll never make changing covenants a click of a button.

But dragonriding is faster if you ignore all the downsides, just like covenant abilities are powerful and they give a strong sense of identity missing from WoW!
    In this case, no, no it won't happen.
    Because that would make flying pretty obsolete and have no niche whatsoever.
    Which is how they explained it and their reasoning for not making it hover.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for the tip but that still requires you to start from a high enough spot to gain speed from the decline, right?
    Not really, you have 4 vigor, which means you can launch yourself 4x high in the air and gain momentum.

10+ Year Old Account
    that would be Ideal but nah with 4 Vigor you can basically get high enough to the 3 and then lower into a decline to start the Thrill of the Skies and i save the 4th to Pull upwards and level out with the decline i mentioned.

the Pulling upwards into a Skyward Ascend feels pretty fun with the visual effects around your drake. very zoomy. i think i lost a couple hours to just flying around doing dips and dives doing this and ive only got the 2 basic moves. haven't gotten far enough to do the spin or even unlock air currents

Quote Originally Posted by Omians View Post
    that would be Ideal but nah with 4 Vigor you can basically get high enough to the 3 and then lower into a decline to start the Thrill of the Skies and i save the 4th to Pull upwards and level out with the decline i mentioned.

the Pulling upwards into a Skyward Ascend feels pretty fun with the visual effects around your drake. very zoomy. i think i lost a couple hours to just flying around doing dips and dives doing this and ive only got the 2 basic moves. haven't gotten far enough to do the spin or even unlock air currents
    thanks for the input; i'm doing better now but i feel like i'm locked to the altitude i'm at after my ascends. i can't manage to restore enough vigor to gain additional height.
    No matter how relevant the post, I will stop reading after 'should of'.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the input; i'm doing better now but i feel like i'm locked to the altitude i'm at after my ascends. i can't manage to restore enough vigor to gain additional height.
    Its alot of the going into a slight decline before the skyward ascend ends, its to keep the momentum to keep the thrill of the skies buff going. The trick is to keep the buff going even when you are climbing in altitude.

Wonder if they will make a pitch and yaw type addon for dragonriding

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    I tried it and it's ok. I don't like or dislike it, but it's not as good or varied as GW2 mounts.
    If you played GW2 mounts this is heavy discount, cheap mount riding.
    Got my Skyscale mount last month and I love every second on it. The Griffon is nice too since you can go insanely fast.

Well I managed to fly from the starting point at sea level all the way to the Apex dragon glyph in Thaldraszus without ever having to land. Took a while though.

The Patient
    1+ Year Old Account
    so far, i can't remember going 2-3 times the speed of normal flying like a lot of people in here are talking about; so i either haven't unlocked that yet, i am doing something very wrong or my perception of speed is flawed and i just didn't notice.
    I will say that this sounds incredibly uncharacteristic of the system. You can easily reach maximum speed with 0 glyphs. Granted, you must be at a slight decline to do so, which also gains you vigor. With no glyphs, your deceleration is pretty difficult if you mess that up, which is probably why you're feeling that your speed is lackluster. If I were to take an outside look upon it.

EDIT: I saw other people answered you before I did when I was scrolling. Woops.
    Last edited by Koollan; 2022-10-04 at 04:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Dude A: "lol well if you weren't such a Blizzard Shill™ you'd believe my source!"
    Dude B: ::posts the Webster Dictionary definition of the word 'objective' followed by a 700-word essay about how the WoW community is doomed::
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPrincess View Post
    shut up idiot

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i played a lot of gw2, last time i played though they didnt have customizable mounts, when did they add those?

For those who keep saying "it is just fancy gliding"
    https://twitter.com/Fishbones06/stat...45457637093376
    come on now.
    They added it with the Path of fire expansion. What wow is adapting here is the griffon mount. GW2 has quite a few other mounts, like one that jumps really far forward, one that jumps really far up, one that teleports forward, one that hovers above ground, one that rolls on itself and it's extremely fast on the ground and there is one more i didn't get that was added in later patches. I think it hovers better than the griffon. I think it's the sky scale. There is the pvp one the warclaw as well. I myself didn't unlock these last two.
    These abilities are just the main abilities. They all have attacks and other buffs as well, which you unlock with masteries. They are great for exploration and of course, GW2 has all sorts of puzzles that involve them.

So, WoW has like the central aspect of the feature and it seems to be more difficult to keep momentum . The dragon isles have a lot of verticality which helps with regening the stamina orbs. In regular maps it will be more difficult to pull off something like that video.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-10-04 at 05:27 PM.

I also did a test to see how long it took to get from the very top of Apex to sea level, clocked in at 1 min 18s of just straight downwards diving. That is a large ass mountain.

I havent done it in full capacity yet. I got Beta on my bday last week (thanks blizzard!) And have only tested the Dracthyr racial in Stormwind. Havent really wanted to do any story related quests due to spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantique View Post
    I also did a test to see how long it took to get from the very top of Apex to sea level, clocked in at 1 min 18s of just straight downwards diving. That is a large ass mountain.
    Well the inverse is a lot more complicated

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tsamane View Post
    I havent done it in full capacity yet. I got Beta on my bday last week (thanks blizzard!) And have only tested the Dracthyr racial in Stormwind. Havent really wanted to do any story related quests due to spoilers.
    There aren't really many spoilers in the main campaign. Help flight, power oathstone, go next zone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dragonriding requires a little bit of skill for it to feel good. Don't get me wrong, it's not a high skillcap--but if you haven't practiced at all, gotten some experience, you're not going to understand how to get and maintain the Thrill state. Being in the Thrill state to regen your Vigor orbs is essential to having a good experience with dragonriding. Once you've maxed out the skill tree (which will be at the start of the expansion), you can basically stay aloft as long as you want by constantly regenerating the Vigor you spend. Gliding (correctly) is how you regain Vigor and Vigor is how you gain speed or altitude (which gliders obviously cannot do).

Dragonriding is also much, much faster than normal flight and it actually feels like flight, rather than just running around in three dimensions like with normal flying mounts. The only disadvantage from normal flight (aside from needing to take a little time to learn it) is that you can't just hover. For hovering, you'll need to wait for normal flight to be unlocked, which they said it will.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    They added it with the Path of fire expansion. What wow is adapting here is the griffon mount. GW2 has quite a few other mounts, like one that jumps really far forward, one that jumps really far up, one that teleports forward, one that hovers above ground, one that rolls on itself and it's extremely fast on the ground and there is one more i didn't get that was added in later patches. I think it hovers better than the griffon. I think it's the sky scale. There is the pvp one the warclaw as well. I myself didn't unlock these last two.
    These abilities are just the main abilities. They all have attacks and other buffs as well, which you unlock with masteries. They are great for exploration and of course, GW2 has all sorts of puzzles that involve them.

So, WoW has like the central aspect of the feature and it seems to be more difficult to keep momentum . The dragon isles have a lot of verticality which helps with regening the stamina orbs. In regular maps it will be more difficult to pull off something like that video.
    I looked and I can't find the customizable mounts in GW2 I found the gyphon mount you mentioned, but it's not like that, also it does not have the abilities or systems like dragon riding, it's just a mount with physics really.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cantrip View Post
    And that is what is meant to make casual gamers play for months?
    Yes, plus centaur hunts, excavations, renown, elemental invasions, dungeons, raids, PvP, world quests, sieges, profession updates, and more are all meant to make casual gamers play for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Well a few simple tips from here have done wonders for my vertical movement. Tilting upwards before hitting Ascend really seems to make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bullseyed View Post
    There is almost 20 years of built up stuff around how players overwhelmingly want non-interactive travel. From the original vanilla to now the primary goal of travel in WoW has been "how to get from A to B without fighting anything" while also giving a chance for a bathroom break, getting a drink, or changing your music playlist.

Removing that will be disastrous to subscription levels, player engagement, and playtime in general.
    lets just for fun assume you are right, and that everybody want noninteractive travel, and that removing such thing would kill wow
    you do realise ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is being removed, right? literaly every form of travel that is currently withing the game will be there in DF, dragonriding will be ON TOP OF THAT, not instead of that...
    so even IF (and that is big if) you are right, it changes nothing... all other travel methods are there (or will be at later point, like its been for 8years now), they are just slower, but since for you they are more convenient, you can just use them and ignore dragonriding...

so your argument is purely "i dont want it so NOBODY should have it" attitude... like complaining others drive cars but you want to use public transport, absolutely nothing is stoping you and others driving cars have no impact on your public transport...

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    I looked and I can't find the customizable mounts in GW2 I found the gyphon mount you mentioned, but it's not like that, also it does not have the abilities or systems like dragon riding, it's just a mount with physics really.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, plus centaur hunts, excavations, renown, elemental invasions, dungeons, raids, PvP, world quests, sieges, profession updates, and more are all meant to make casual gamers play for months.
    Erm... i don't know what you looked up, but they have abilities and stamina bar. They literally have an ability bar as well. It replaces your class ability bar when you mount up. The faster wind effect in the screen for momentum is copied from gw2 as well.

The customisation comes in the form of different skins and the ability to dye them. Also, you can have all the skins and change at anytime.

Yes, dragon riding is a complete rip from the griffon, but so what? Does it bother you they copied something good? They just didn't copy enough imo.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2022-10-05 at 01:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shanthi View Post
    Dragonriding is also much, much faster than normal flight and it actually feels like flight
    I think this is something people gloss over. I remember the moment I took off in Shadowmoon Valley with my first flying mount. It was a moment I had anticipated for the entire journey to 70. And I was utterly underwhelmed, even as much as I tried to convince myself otherwise.

Nearly two decades later, I finally got the feeling I had anticipated way back when. That's huge.