Poll: Do you think Sylvanas was a good character for "female empowerment"?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazerbrain View Post
    Sorry to break it to you but the writer is a woman, Christie Golden. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Golden
    The bulk of sylvanas’s problems come from ingame which golden doesn’t write and even the major plot points of the books come from the game team and golden or other writers just fill in the gaps.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    She absolutely wasnt. She was used as a battering ram to completely finish of more “women oriented” race in Alliance, acted as an unstable psycho and was propped by the simp who used his self insert to roleplay essentially.

All the “icon of feminism” talk was either product of entire tone deafness or actually used to make feminists look extra bad via association.
    This.
    Attaching feminism to the Sylvanas debacle just serves to undermine both.

I mean if anything she showed the evil inherent to certain forms of hysteria and derangement, regardless of the excuses and explanations given.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Not being female, I can't really speak to any empowerment the average woman may or may not feel. I will say I'm not sure how or why anyone would feel empowered by Sylvanas, given the givens - maybe her earliest incarnation where she overcame the Lich King's domination and forged her own nation, but even that legacy was somewhat tainted well before her later actions cemented her as a complete monster.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    The bulk of sylvanas’s problems come from ingame which golden doesn’t write and even the major plot points of the books come from the game team and golden or other writers just fill in the gaps.
    And you think there are no female writers on the ingame narrative team?

also my point is that women and men can both write bad characters. I did not mean to hang just christie out but pointing to one of the more famous sylvanas writers being female. There are plenty of women in blizzards writing team on all levels.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazerbrain View Post
    And you think there are no female writers on the ingame narrative team?

also my point is that women and men can both write bad characters. I did not mean to hang just christie out but pointing to one of the more famous sylvanas writers being female. There are plenty of women in blizzards writing team on all levels.
    I have no clue what the ingame writing teams break up is, nor was it my point that her writing hasn’t been touched by a woman.

All I’m saying is that book writers like golden or others aren’t the reason sylvanas is the way she is they just fill in the gaps of what the game team comes up with.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    She's been a slave all her unlife. How's that "empowerment?"
    She "broke" free from Arthas' control and rebelled against Jay the Jailer last second? lol

"good character" as in interesting to follow and learn more about are not required to be good people. Trying to slap external labels on her like "female empowerment" is setting up a weird judgment.

Is she interesting yes or no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    I have no clue what the ingame writing teams break up is, nor was it my point that her writing hasn’t been touched by a woman.

All I’m saying is that book writers like golden or others aren’t the reason sylvanas is the way she is they just fill in the gaps of what the game team comes up with.
    Ok fair but I was replying to;
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post

Sylvanas is a good example of a man writing a woman.
    My point is still valid, book writer or not, sylvanas is not bad because a man is writing her. She is the result of a group effort.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    Sylvanas was, and perhaps still is, one of the most popular characters in the franchise, and this is a serious question. I've noticed in the past on the official forums and Reddit, that LOTS of active players, especially younger female players, seem to always defend and admire her, even after the Burning of Teldrassil.

Their reasoning was that she was a deeply traumatized female who was able to overcome and harden herself through her trials and become a strong individual with very great force of will - that she was able to assert her agency as a female character and leader, a hunter and a banshee, an undead elf and an iconic Horde character. She was extremely beautiful and deadly and graceful, and yet she had her nuanced moments, such as her famous Lament of the Highborne scene, a very complex and relatable character to lots of young women and female gamers who admired her in equal parts for her tenacity and ruthlessness.

Even Patty herself stated in the past that she faced significant domestic abuse when she was a young girl, and she channels some of her inner pain and anguish into her voice acting, which is perhaps what makes it so realistically engaging and potent for so many people.

Of course, those against that perspective would be that Sylvanas was a strong female character, but one who started Azeroth's fourth global war and committed what most Alliance and night elf players at least consider genocide. Although - she has been "redeemed" somewhat, and is now relatively "whole" and complete, and feels remorse for her actions - I recommend her novel to those who did not read it, it was not perfect, but much better than many other books today.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sylvanas-Worl.../dp/B08ZXZDNVS
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxWw-6Ipyuc
    No, it's not good for female empowerment. It's one thing to be strong and independent. It's another to be a genocidal maniac. And yet that seems to be the most popular thing when it comes to Blizzard's characters. Sylvanas and Sarah Kerrigan, practically the same story.

Personally I think it's kinda patronizing to look at stuff this way in general. Characters are interesting or they aren't.

Especially when gender was never a part of her character. She could have easily been a man. We never (that I recall, I could be totally wrong since I don't read quests) see her face any specific issues based on sex, she doesn't have kids, etc.
    Last edited by Ashana Darkmoon; 2022-11-01 at 02:15 PM.

Not really, not because the lore was bad (It was, but that's beside the point), but because she was basically a pawn for one powerful male character or another for (As it turns out) pretty much all the time.

And any claims to cleverness or the oft-quoted "Tactical genius" are pretty thoroughly invalidated by the fact that for any of her plans to work, the other characters had to be dumbed down to quite ridiculous levels. ("Ooh, we're attacking Undercity, AKA Plague central, let's just march right on in, what can go wrong?" "Oh noes! Plague! Who could have seen *this* coming!?")

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought she was a strong leader (although a bit crazy) up until they revealed she was just a side piece doing the bidding of the man, Zovaal. Definitely wouldn't look at her as a good role model for female empowerment after that.

I recently did all the quests in the WoD zones and would consider Yrel a much better role model for "female empowerment". She overcame her fears and rose to lead her people. Too bad blizz ruined her by making her go crazy with the light. (seen from the Mag'har orc allied race questline)

Then there is tyrande who could have been a good role model, and then blizzard made her go crazy on a quest for revenge, which was understandable because of what happened to her. But blizzard seems to enjoy making women go nuts. (also same thing happened to Jaina lol)
    Last edited by Mustardisbad; 2022-11-01 at 02:21 PM.

She used to be.

In Legion and BfA yes. In Shadowlands not at all, she's another puppet to yet another fuckboy.

LMAO, way to present Sylvanas as a character that was meant to be "female empowerment."

Incel as hell in some of these thought patterns.

Female. Female. Female. So tired of this language.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    Personally I think it's kinda patronizing to look at stuff this way in general. Characters are interesting or they aren't.

Especially when gender was never a part of her character. She could have easily been a man. We never (that I recall, I could be totally wrong since I don't read quests) see her face any specific issues based on sex, she doesn't have kids, etc.
    If she was a man, she would end up dead.

The whole storyline was a train wreck so it was definitely representative of female empowerment

10+ Year Old Account
    Dunno. All I know is that she became an obnoxious character at some point and that in combination with the spotlight she had throughout the last 3 expansions, it became really tiring. I'd say she definitely confirmed some people's biases, though. Whether good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by VladlTutushkin View Post
    She absolutely wasnt. She was used as a battering ram to completely finish of more “women oriented” race in Alliance, acted as an unstable psycho and was propped by the simp who used his self insert to roleplay essentially.

All the “icon of feminism” talk was either product of entire tone deafness or actually used to make feminists look extra bad via association.
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    This.
    Attaching feminism to the Sylvanas debacle just serves to undermine both.

I mean if anything she showed the evil inherent to certain forms of hysteria and derangement, regardless of the excuses and explanations given.
    The thing is that Blizzard seems to (consciously or not) conflate anger and sometimes troubled mental / emotional stability with "strong female development".

For example, Jaina Proudmoore after Bombing of Theramore, her drastic character change (I think even Blizzard called her "crazy" on that in-game item before quickly removing it). Or Maiev. Or Sky Admiral Rogers. Or Tess Greymane. Or Alleria post-W2, and later Vereesa after her husband's death. And then of course, the enraged Tyrande who called the Horde a rabid wolf and who basically threatened Thrall to his face, before trying to choke Sylvanas.

I'm not saying an angry and bitter woman seeking vengeance at all costs can NEVER be a good "strong woman" portrayal, but it is at the very least oversimplistic, and seems to almost conflate wild anger issues and borderline instability with true strength, which usually involves much greater discipline and nuance, regardless of the gender and background of said character. Being constantly at the mercy of your most negative and corrosive emotions does not always a strong individual make. For example, Jaina was not particularly well-liked after her abrupt character shift, I'm afraid, but her storyline in Battle for Azeroth was much more favorably received.
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2022-11-01 at 02:59 PM.
    "You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Perhaps at the start in WC3 before she died, sure. She was a cunning and dangerous foe, a woman in a position of power that fought tooth and nail to slow and try to stop an implacable foe. While she ultimately failed, her efforts did save a number of her people.

After that though... well, she was basically a slave on and off for the rest of her existence. Right now she's an exile, doing community service for crimes she committed while under the influence (let's not kid ourselves, being undead is basically a mind and emotion altering state). Not really an amazing story of empowerment.