Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    You must've played a different BfA than I did. I remember Magni calling me champion constantly. We were nothing close to simple adventurers in BfA.
    Coming from legion, we are champions are we not? We were the leaders of our class, sacrificing the power in our artefacts to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I'm fine with Nathanos as a character, and I've always thought his snarkiness and willingness to talk down to the PC regardless of their standing is a breath of fresh air compared to the kowtowing of most NPCs. That being said, I agree with a lot of the people above that he was way too overused in BfA especially, to the point where I got tired of seeing him. His understandable prominence in the Horde War Campaign coupled with his frequency as the narrator/voice for many of the WQs made him seem omnipresent. I think if they'd shifted up the WQs and the Invasion events to have a rotating complement of main NPCs that it would've helped with the sense of repetition a lot of people felt.
    Edge for the sake of edge is not a good thing tho. Kinda like this

Quote Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
    Counter point: Taran Zhu.

He is nowhere near as hated as Nathanos (And it seems like a lot of people really like him) and he does basically the same thing.

Difference? He's not tied to Sylvanas.
    The difference is that Taran Zhu is actually cool, on top of having a great reason for not trusting you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    You are the one he is speaking to, the one that has the necklace, but there is 35 other champions who assist you. You are the one with the necklace however, but the rest are all also there with you, only slightly weaker.
    Technically every champion got a necklace, as it's implied on the description of the item.

7+ Year Old Account
    Look man, if you like being called names and humilliated, thats ok. No kink shame

Otherwise, Nathanos was/is insufferable
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

1+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sure Nathanos was meant to be an insufferable twat. If it is so - he's a great character that meets such goal. I really liked him, especially for how much of an edgelord this dude was. He always was a great laugh, i just kinda wish they'd come back to him and record a new line reacting for Dark Rangers on the Seething Shore BG. Would be a fun throwback.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    I think Nathanos was a great character.

People always say "In WoW we used to be adventurers not these main characters that saved the world multiple times. It felt more realistic.".

However, in BfA we had Nathanos treating us like nobodies. He constantly treated us as common soilders. Not some world saving heroes. But people hated him.

Then they (blizz devs) just killed him without any lore thought at all as a pre-expansion event to Shadowlands. Vanished like he never existed.

Now we get these "Dragonflight Legacies" videos where yet again, this Drakthyr that is YOU, THE GREAT HERO AND SAVIOR OF AZEROTH, again being the main focus of all the 3 videos so far.

Enjoy being called a god amongst men for the entire expansion. Fun story telling. Hero of Azeroth. Planeswalker. What else can we call you? "Savior of the Dragon Isles"?

Personally I don't like this kind of storytelling, but please don't be surprised that this is the way the game will keep pushing for the forseeable future, Planeswalker.
    Most people didn't really form that much of an opinion on this character. The few that did, are those who learned that it was a dev who was a huuge sylvanas simp and basically put himself in the game(when nathanos was reworked, I think he also was designed to resemble that dev irl very much as well) to be her boytoy. When this was known and pointed out, it stirred internal commotions and he was eventually phased out(or was he actually killed? I dunno about that part).

A similar thing that happened was when one of the writers for the power puff girls wrote themselves into the show to "get together" with blossom.

Bacck on topic, however - the character was great pre-simp phase, and his position and fantasy was perfect. It was just taken a step too far and poorly executed with how he went from treating players from being the savior and then treating them like a nobody. Being treated like a nobody is fine, but in this context, I think it should happen across the board, not just for for one character. Doesn't feel natural at all.

So give us an xpac where we're unknown adventurers, perhaps where we become revered at the end or the likes, but don't make us "speaker of the alliance/horde" from the getgo as its overwhelming for many(I've had several friends actually quit after checking out wow for the first time and going from a low-level quester to get this huge responsibility in a handturn)

Why would you hate Nathanos? He’s one of the best characters they’ve had on WoW recently. I thought it was funny when he talked down to me, but then I’m not insecure.

The only thing that was annoying about him was how he was made to idolise Sylvanas, but then Sylvanas made a lot of things annoying!

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    While I agree on the part about not liking when NPCs just treat our characters like gods, Nathanos, in my opinion, is far too extreme in the opposite direction. In theory, the player characters can technically wipe the floor with Nathanos considering the adventurers are more experienced than him, and more powerful than him. But we couldn't do it in game because of 'plot armor' giving him incredibly high HP and damage.

And, like I mentioned in my previous post, Nathanos did absolutely nothing to earn his rank other than being Sylvanas' favorite. He didn't fight a fraction of battles that others have, or fought monsters a fraction of the power others have. He's a high-ranking military officer who got his rank through favoritism, and belittles those underneath his rank who have accomplished far more than he did.
    I'd agree Nathanos' snark is rather extreme, but given that he's really the only character who goes that route, I don't really consider it much of an issue when he's not being overused in a given story arc. As for Nathanos' "rank," it's not really one based on either favoritism nor is he unproven. Nathanos Marris was considered a masterful tactician and genius strategist, and his bona fides prior to entering Sylvanas' service are well-established: Ranger Captain of Lordaeron, and "responsible for Alliance victories spanning a decade of conflict." His later rank as a Ranger Lord in service to the Farstriders wasn't based on just Sylvanas' favoritism, either; as shown in the Sylvanas novel he was nearly peerless even among the Farstriders, second only to Sylvanas herself (and not by any distance either).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    Technically every champion got a necklace, as it's implied on the description of the item.
    Where is it implied?

Do you mean in here?

Cause there is nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    Edge for the sake of edge is not a good thing tho. Kinda like this

https://img.ifunny.co/images/4bcbc0b...23c98c6c_1.jpg
    Some people are just edgy by nature, I suppose - caustic and bitter, and definitely an acquired taste. Nathanos has apparently always been that way, even when he was alive. His portrayal as being insulting and edgy hasn't changed since his introduction in Vanilla/Classic.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Where is it implied?

Do you mean in here?

Cause there is nothing.
    A living symbol of hope, borne by the champions of a dying planet. The fate of Azeroth will be shared by all her children.

I don't know if "every champion got a necklace", but borne by the champions of a dying planet certainly implies there's more than one. Of course, it could by non-literal, meaning "the hope is borne by the champions" rather than the amulet, but either can easily be inferred.

Nathanos is kinda like Joffrey from GoT, asshole character you are supposed to enjoy to hate. The difference is this is rpg and some people take offense too personally.

And him being overused applies to so many characters in WoW that I wouldn't say it's character specific complaint, but more like overall WoW story telling. Jaina, Thrall, Anduin, Sylvanas, Taelia (nobody cares about her, why is she in shadowlands?) etc...

People always say "In WoW we used to be adventurers not these main characters that saved the world multiple times. It felt more realistic.".

However, in BfA we had Nathanos treating us like nobodies. He constantly treated us as common soilders. Not some world saving heroes. But people hated him.
    To me the problem is the usual and sweeping generalisation.

Yeah, I bet some ppl want to be nobodies, but plenty also loe to be the hero who saves the world. Do you want to be Jack Sparrow or a random pirate in his crew?

...and so I bet ...yeah....also some ppl hated how he was used in BoA (proof: MMO-C forums) and many, many more probably didn't care.

The bit that I didn't need, was killing him at the end...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Being a twat doesn't make you interesting.
    Well, I don't need to post anymore. This guy saved me three paragraphs of text.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    A living symbol of hope, borne by the champions of a dying planet. The fate of Azeroth will be shared by all her children.

I don't know if "every champion got a necklace", but borne by the champions of a dying planet certainly implies there's more than one. Of course, it could by non-literal, meaning "the hope is borne by the champions" rather than the amulet, but either can easily be inferred.
    There is multiple champions, but no word of multiple necklaces.

The issue is simply that at this point, Nathanos' snarkiness and bully nature came across as totally stupid.

A big reason why Nathanos originally got away with that stuff (and even gained popularity) has to do with the fact that the game in my view was a lot different in Vanilla.
    - He lived alone in the middle of a zone that was rather hostile to the player, from elite hubs to overcrowded areas where you easily pull an entire gang (which often results in death)
    - He was such a threat that the Alliance had Raid quest to kill him

His bully attitude may have been bothersome but because he was portrayed as such a menance, people respected the character, he did stuff that the player was not capable of doing.

However, as things changed and Players started to become more powerful and even took on relatively large threats without much aid, that attitude basically falls apart, it just comes across as the character who is an asshole for the sake of being one.
    Because we all know that players have become such an all powerful asset that such an attitude is completely unwarrented even when interacting with demi gods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    There is multiple champions, but no word of multiple necklaces.
    Canonically speaking, the "Champion" bearing the Heart of Azeroth is kind of like the appellation/feat of "Maw Walker" - it's observed in-game that there are a few of them, although the actual number is unknown and it's assumed to be only a few. The Heart of Azeroth item itself denotes the plural Champions of Azeroth, whereas several quests and dialogues in Shadowlands refer to a plural number of Maw Walkers. I think the idea is that Champions/Maw Walkers is used to refer to the notion of multiple members of the PC's dungeon/raid group, all of whom would be Heart of Azeroth-bearing Champions and/or Maw Walkers in a given context.

Then they (blizz devs) just killed him without any lore thought at all as a pre-expansion event to Shadowlands. Vanished like he never existed.

Now we get these "Dragonflight Legacies" videos where yet again, this Drakthyr that is YOU, THE GREAT HERO AND SAVIOR OF AZEROTH, again being the main focus of all the 3 videos so far.

Enjoy being called a god amongst men for the entire expansion. Fun story telling. Hero of Azeroth. Planeswalker. What else can we call you? "Savior of the Dragon Isles"?

Personally I don't like this kind of storytelling, but please don't be surprised that this is the way the game will keep pushing for the forseeable future, Planeswalker.
    Or maybe he was just annoying, unjustifiably smug and dismissive, all while being Sylvanas' glorified lapdog/bootkisser by the time he "rose" to lore prominence.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Canonically speaking, the "Champion" bearing the Heart of Azeroth is kind of like the appellation/feat of "Maw Walker" - it's observed in-game that there are a few of them, although the actual number is unknown and it's assumed to be only a few. The Heart of Azeroth item itself denotes the plural Champions of Azeroth, whereas several quests and dialogues in Shadowlands refer to a plural number of Maw Walkers. I think the idea is that Champions/Maw Walkers is used to refer to the notion of multiple members of the PC's dungeon/raid group, all of whom would be Heart of Azeroth-bearing Champions and/or Maw Walkers in a given context.
    There is multiple champions, 36 to be exact, 1 per artifact weapon/spec, we learned that at the end of legion. however there is only 1 known neck.

as ive been asking, people been saying there is multiple necklaces, im asking where?

Quote Originally Posted by Gurkan View Post
    The difference is that Taran Zhu is actually cool, on top of having a great reason for not trusting you.
    Plus he kind of sort of actually accomplishes more than to just have a bunch of High Elves go "omg he cute" and "wow, he's not totally horrible with a bow."

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Huh? I loved Nathanos, unique snarky attitude (unlike 99% of WoW's protagonists), good model, great voice actor, one of my favourites in BfA to be honest.

Didn't know he was that generally disliked by players, but people tend to take lore a bit too personally (remember the outcry of night elf players when Teldrasill burned? gosh, that was cringy) so maybe they don't like to be treated like trash, even if it's just a game. Thin skin and all.

- - - Updated - - -

Wait... People hated Magni? What's wrong with Magni, isn't he cool?
    Oh of course, its not like horde fans threatened murder and/or suicide against Blizz and someone slashed tires of Golden’s car…