Racial Talent Trees could be a fun addition to the game.

If the game had something like a racial talent tree it would give Blizzard the option to get more nuanced with racial abilities. It shouldn't have the complexity of the current new talents or scale. Something that is a blend of the new talent system, earning points every so many levels, and the Netherlight Crucible in terms of scale and having rows with choice options. Also getting some new racial talents that are thematic when a new expansion drops could also allow the system to expand and grow.

I know some people probably won't care about this, but it could add some additional way to personalize your character at a more core fundamental level and could bring back some of the older racial abilities that were removed or come up with a bunch of new fun ones people can play around with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugani View Post
    If the game had something like a racial talent tree it would give Blizzard the option to get more nuanced with racial abilities. It shouldn't have the complexity of the current new talents or scale. Something that is a blend of the new talent system, earning points every so many levels, and the Netherlight Crucible in terms of scale and having rows with choice options. Also getting some new racial talents that are thematic when a new expansion drops could also allow the system to expand and grow.

I know some people probably won't care about this, but it could add some additional way to personalize your character at a more core fundamental level and could bring back some of the older racial abilities that were removed or come up with a bunch of new fun ones people can play around with.
    No thanks, sounds like just another avenue for a Meta to develop and force players in to specific races. Just let people play whatever races they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addiena
    Whats the saying .. You have two brain cells and they are both fighting for third place !

This actually the idea I was showing in my toread of "if qe are having all classes for all races" here in the general discusión
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...-in-the-future

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    No more talent trees, there's already enough.

The only racial anything should be racial "heritage" quests to unlock cosmetic items only.
    There's already Heritage Armor mog, so they can add a few variants, each with their own unique quest, to represent the various origins of the races.
    Add in quests for weapon mog, battle pets, unique mounts, and there's a whole slew of racial-related content to help you further identify as an orc or human.
    The only "unlock" for these quests should be reputation, not some tree where you either pick X or Y, or even worse, eventually get everything anyway.

Like dwarf priest in vanilla with fear ward? No thanks
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

for that to happen it will either have to be open world only or have talents that are not power impacting at all. otherwise you'd just have everyone race change to the best race and that's it

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    for that to happen it will either have to be open world only or have talents that are not power impacting at all. otherwise you'd just have everyone race change to the best race and that's it
    Depends on how you make the trees
    Maybe one race would be only a good mage but not warlock or priest
    So a lot of races would be played for the meta
    Or maybe make it so if one race is better at doing damage the other will be better at something different like taking damage or blocking it while trying to keep the difference really low I don't think everyone would race change to other thing for an extra 3% damage or to another for a 5% more speed
    It's really low and only really competitive people would do it

Quote Originally Posted by Stickiler View Post
    No thanks, sounds like just another avenue for a Meta to develop and force players in to specific races. Just let people play whatever races they want.
    100% this; I like race being as cosmetic as possible

15+ Year Old Account
    IMO it's a cool idea in a vacuum, but you really don't want gameplay to be tied into aesthetic identity as we learned from the feedback to Covenants.

If they were to do something like this and players not be angry about it, the talents would need parity between races, or would need to be used to create parity where there currently isn't any, which just results in homogenization.

I'd love for them to focus more on cultural identity for all the races, but I think that would be best served through cosmetics like mounts, pets, weapons, titles, Heritage armor, unlockable customization options, etc.

As I posted earlier, I was playing with the idea of a 4th smaller talent tree for racial abilities that would kick in every 15 levels....just playing however.
    I envisioned it as a smaller window next to the three talent tree. Say...a darkspear troll, with his "darkspear" which would be part of his cultural specific weapon. And since he's also a hunter a related proc might be chosen...

I would be down for renown style system where you unlocked different cosmetics and customization options for you race maybe based on a personal story questline that persisted through multiple expansions.

But not any kind of system that was tied to combat. Even completely utility based racials like goblin rocket jump can impact high end encounters. It might sound cool but I guarantee any semi-serious player would quickly regret it when their class had a optimal race combo. Even worse if changed every tier.

I'm all for layered progression systems, but I'm very skeptical of how they would balance it.

They tried this approach so many times, whether it's Covenants or Glyphs (when they first came out) to balancing tier set bonuses, etc. I love the flavour it would add, I just don't know how they would balance it on a race level.

I'm all for bringing race diversity within the class system. I've always been a fan of the Priest racials in concept, just not how they ended up tuning encounters to value certain racials over others. It needs to be balanced and fair between choices, while doubling down on the flavour of the race. Especially if they tie this in with certain Hero concepts that we haven't been able to fully access, like Wardens or Shadow Hunters or Blademasters.

Will never work if they remain focused on competitive end game and e-sports.

Would have been amazing in 2006.
    Couldn't work now sadly. Deep RPG stuff like that clashes with high difficulty levels + limited time factors.

WoW arguably is worse off with racials not better. It is the orginal cause of the alliance being gutted...

it would bring races having points being a thing again