Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question So now that SL is over, how'd you feel about Jailor?

Will you miss him?

Will probably never think about him or anything from shadowlands again god willing

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've already forgotten about him... Byeeeeee!

The Janitor clearly existed for the sole purpose of redeeming Slayvanas.

You see, before SLs, Sylvanas' crimes were her own. She was 100% responsible for all the atrocities she and the Forsaken pulled throughout the years.

The Forsaken prided themselves in free will, after all, remember? Sylvanas had free will in the pre-SLs lore and so all those crimes were her responsibility.

But now that the Janitor was invented, you can no longer argue that it's all Sylvanas and the Forsaken's fault, because they were all devilishly influenced by the evil janitor, in his evil dark tower, with his evil metal voice, and his evil scheme of domination.

And so we can clearly see that the only reason why he was invented is because Blizzard (Horde-biased as usual) needed a quick way to absolve Sylvanas and her people of all the atrocities they committed. By simply pinning all of them on this asspulled villain. Simultaneously depriving the Alliance of the right to want vengeance, since it was all the Bald Man's fault, and not Sylvanas/the Forsaken's.

Which ironically means reverting back on the only thing that made the Forsaken unique: free will. As they were all just unwitting pawns in the Janitor's grand plan of deceptive cunning, they never had true freedom.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2022-11-16 at 10:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Like most of Shadowlands, the Jailer/Zovaal was an interesting concept with an unfortunately failed execution. A character of that kind of magnitude in terms of the story needed a fair degree of foreshadowing - probably all the way back to Cata and Edge of Night where he first entered the story (albeit not spoken of at the time), and there should of be insinuations and hints in a building notion that there was a force or direction behind many of the goings-on concerning death, the Lich King, and the Scourge. Legion and BfA should have seen him looming ever larger, not too different from how N'Zoth was often teased via background lore and such. When Shadowlands finally hit, his presence would be more acceptable, I think.

On another note, I think his basic design and model were also rather uninteresting. I think he and the other Eternal Ones didn't need to be giant figures, and I prefer his look from the pre-Alpha key art where the Jailer is a gaunt old man, and with a bit of iteration I think that model would've portrayed him better than the Cenobite-looking Jailer we see in Shadowlands.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

7+ Year Old Account
    Forgotten, as he should be
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Is something supposed to have changed now that 10.0 has officially rolled out?

Jailor is still a bland and shitty villian that was shoved down our throats as if all of Warcraft history was somehow under his thumb.

He was super forced, still is a terrible character/''big bad'' and he will not be missed.
    It's called a retrospective or post mortem. Nothing has to have changed, nor has it, except perhaps someone's point of view.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LuxTheGamer View Post
    Will you miss him?
    No, but he did have so much potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easily one of the most bland villians the game has ever seen. His motive seemed empty, his methods were obtuse and he just was evil to be evil. When you get pop-up super villains with no history, its hard to grow attached to them unless they have a ton of personality. Double Dick Donnie ie Sire Denathrius was far more exciting because he had so much personality, hell his sword was more memorable than the Jailer.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

With Sylvanas redeemed now I'm just kinda pretending BFA/Shadowlands didn't happen. Helped by the fact I barely played either.

We've just beat the burning legion, Illidan is the prison warden for Sargeras and now the Dragon Isles has risen.

Oh and that sword in Azeroth thing just didn't happen. Shh.

Not sure why we need another thread to talk about him AGAIN... but i don't think anything about him. I don't hate the character i don't like the character.

He will be a footnote until he will be referenced again in 6 years with an expansion where we go to the life lands.
    His extistence and death have no consequence on anything. Nothing changed everything is the same.

I like the idea of him but not how it played out, and mirror Aucald's comment about his design as well. He looked so boring as he was, the old bearded man from early concept art would have been better.

He was also shoehorned in way too hard. "Actually, this guy was behind every event for ages!" Yeah no.

The what now?

honestly i feel like the jailer gave all of us ligma

As @Varodoc already said, the Jailer wasn't a character. He was a tool to prevent us (mainly the Alliance) from putting Sylvanas' head on a spike. He existed solely for this reason and nothing else. And it shows.

His motivation is so blandly simple and transparent that it automatically lowers Sylvanas IQ for not seeing it from the start and on top of this the entire story was so clumsily executed that it managed to break lore as far back as WC3. Literally declaring that all of WC3 was Jailer controlled forced fighting against each other for no reason whatsoever.

Danuser's desperation about anyone touching his Dark Lady ruined 2 full expansions so I pray that the man got himself under control now. But I am pretty sure that Sylvanas will be back in the next patch or so, I do not believe that he is physically capable of writing a story without her being the main character. Maybe Nathanos will be reborn as a dragon.

So I feel nothing for the Jailer, because he was never important. I am glad SLs is over and hope the next expansion will be better in nearly every aspect. If no one ever mentions the Jailer again then that is completely fine with me.

Think a lot has been said about it and i doubt my opinion will be novel, so i'll try to sum it up: His writing lacked coherent purpose. We aren't given a reason he couldn't have simply told his fellow Eternal Ones "dudes like, void is coming, lets band together so i won't need to go all Sargeras on you".

There's also little reason given to why he needs to reshape reality in the first place. Aside from void danger, what was so bad about the current afterlife? the lack of choice in covenants can be cruel, but it seemed well intentioned and not so bad as to justify universal dystopia.

Awful character through and through.

His motivations make no sense. He's the blandest villain to date. Him retro-actively being involved with so much of WarCraft history was a terrible move and just feels bad. He really served zero purpose other than to be a supercharged Lich King for their cosmic storyline and too give Sylvanas a pass for being a mass murderer.

Still, its very obvious the character was massively changed (I'm guessing when the narrative lead changed). So I am curious what the original plan was for this character and if it was better or if we were saved from something even worse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Oh so nothing has changed and this is just another thread beating a dead horse, got it. There were many other options to post this ''post mortem'' opinion piece then not sure if this unoriginal topic deserved yet another thread
    Okay. You could just scroll by.

The whole "The Jailer was behind it all" pissed me off so much that I am just pretending it never happened. In my head it was a bad dream.

Even when playing through Wrath Classic it started to bug me again e.g in Dragonblight when Arthas discovers Frostmourne and Muuradin is telling him it's cursed because of the runes. So yeah thoroughly engrained in my head now that it never happened.

He's a very lol + lmao villain. Struggling to find anyone who cared about him.

Even the villain name is uninspired.

Yet another wasted potential.