Thread: Last of Us [TV]

Page 15 of 45 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Then don't pretend it's the Last of Us. Say it's merely set in the Last of Us universe.
    Because it is "The Last of Us" ... do you think the series Game of Thrones which covered more than just the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire was improperly titled too?

It's not about a point. It's those little things, those little interactions and cutscenes that made it the Last of Us. And yes, it included killings.
    No, that's what made it a game. The story is intact with removing the unnecessary walls of infecte.

It reminded me of Jurassic World's choice to focus on that asian scientist from Jurassic Park as a main character even though he was barely memorable.
    Someone didn't read the Jurassic Park novel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKarateDeathCar View Post
    Honestly I think it did more damage to the world building than good. They lived in a nice house, everything looked normal, they had power, they had dinner parties outside, hell even the windows weren't covered up at all so at night anyone could see a light on in the house. The raiders as well, only showed up once in 20 years? There was no sense of danger in their little pocket of the world. Even Tess and Joel looked cleaned up all nice, which granted they probably took showers, but nothing like that was presented in-game at all. I love ... ok his name is completely gone from my memory lol, Ron Swanson, and he did a good job with the character he played, but the Bill he played is baaarely the Bill from the game.

I didn't even really dislike the episode, but it's definitely the worst of the 3 so far by a pretty big margin.
    It looked like a run down neighborhood to me. And raiders aren't common. Joel even states in the episode, eventually they will come. Not they will always come.

And the lights they used were mostly candles. While there were some electric lights used, it was mostly candlelight. Candlelight isn't that bright compared to lightbulbs. Most of the power he used was for the fence.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Were B&F gay before the apocalypse? Or is it more like "prison sexuality"?
    Any answer is speculation. We don't know their histories before the infection took over. Maybe Frank took advantage of the situation? I mean, I'd let Bill explore every inch of my asshole if it meant I got to live like a king like that. However Frank looked pretty experienced and Bill got sucked right in so...

It was absolutely genuine love by the end, that much is clear.

The first half of the episode felt like it dragged a bit, leaving me wondering why they were spending so much time on this guy, but definitely built to a strong finish.

Haven't played the games at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xmirrors View Post
    Any answer is speculation. We don't know their histories before the infection took over. Maybe Frank took advantage of the situation? I mean, I'd let Bill explore every inch of my asshole if it meant I got to live like a king like that. However Frank looked pretty experienced and Bill got sucked right in so...

It was absolutely genuine love by the end, that much is clear.
    In the game? You are correct.

For the show, it is not explicitly confirmed but the line something like "There was no girl." in the episode appears to confirm at least Bill was gay prior to the apocalypse. As for Frank, can't really say. But, you could argue due to his more stereotypical gay characteristics is evidence he was as well.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The only people who get to decide what is/isn't the last of us are those that run the IP. Most Notably Neil Druckmann. What we got in the episode is a lot closer to what he actually wanted for Bill and Frank than what we saw in the game because back in late 2000s early 2010s knew the response from the homophobic cunts that make up the loudest whiniest karenest responses to anything that isn't cis, het, white "normative" would throw an absolute riot if it was in the game. So he made it more "Implied but anyone taking notice would know."
    Or, maybe, because it wasn't that important and he just decided to jump on the bandwagon. The game was loved because of the relationship between Joel and Ellie, not because of some hint.

TLOU was always a narrative story game with the shooty zombie bits there to keep it as a game rather than an interactive movie. You're not going to get this kind of show having 100s of Runners, stalkers and clickers in every other episode because it's not the tone they're going for and really would be a cheap, tacky experience to watch. It follows the characters and is character driven, because that is the best way to put that game into a TV show setting.
    A show like that can't base itself all on talk with no action.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I mean, you mentioned your favorite TV of all time was an autobiographical. Clearly seeing something recreated to the letter is your personal preference. That's fine. But you keep saying "most of us" wanting to see more of Joel and Ellie when you're talking about your own singular opinion. There's no rule that TLoU's TV adaptation has to be 1:1 and almost every single one of my favorite adaptations from other works of art, be it movies, TV shows or, hell, even other video games have made changes to the source material that I liked. There's no secret sauce when it comes to an adaptation.

IGN's Max Scoville did a pretty good job summarizing my thoughts on this:
    It's not just about staying true to the source material but also doing a good job at that.
    People tend to praise every other show that comes out these days when in all honesty they're mediocre. There's nothing phenomenal about the series and it definitely doesn't surpass the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Because it is "The Last of Us" ... do you think the series Game of Thrones which covered more than just the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire was improperly titled too?
    It is an attempt to be the Last of Us. They're not doing a pretty good job at it.

No, that's what made it a game. The story is intact with removing the unnecessary walls of infecte.
    So, you think a story is just the pauses between the crises?

Someone didn't read the Jurassic Park novel.
    The guy appeared like 10 minutes in the movie.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is an attempt to be the Last of Us. They're not doing a pretty good job at it.
    Correct, they are doing an amazing job at it.

The story happens between the fighting. So you are literally reversing what I am saying. The fights against the infected aren't that important to the story. It gets boring.

Doesn't really discounts what I said. The World movies took plot points from the novels and modified them into the new trilogy.
    Wu is important to those plot points. So, they brought back Wu. You do know the source for Jurassic Park is the 1990 novel and not the 1993 movie, right?
    –The Sith Code

Or, maybe, because it wasn't that important and he just decided to jump on the bandwagon. The game was loved because of the relationship between Joel and Ellie, not because of some hint.

A show like that can't base itself all on talk with no action.

It's not just about staying true to the source material but also doing a good job at that.
    People tend to praise every other show that comes out these days when in all honesty they're mediocre. There's nothing phenomenal about the series and it definitely doesn't surpass the game.

If you want the game, then play the game.
    A movie(tv series) is vastly different from a game. You have to create the immersion and build the world through different artistic tools unlike in a game. You can expand on things that the fans have been speculating and asking for years. You can "correct" mistakes. If you want a series that goes on for 3-4-5 seasons, you need episodes like this. You really don't want to run into a Game of Thrones pitfall do you. The show has been renewed for season 2. The first game takes an average 14 hours to play through. If the series would follow this, it would be a very short series. The creators of the show seem very respectful towards the game, trying their best, (unlike netflix with the witcher) that's what matters.

Myself and others think they're doing a phenomenal job. Your negative opinion seems to be the minority, not the majority.

Again, your opinion. It seems to me you just wanted a live action version of the video game with zero deviations. That... would be incredibly boring in my book so I'm glad they've done what they did.

Honestly, I haven't seen Pedro in anything where I hated his performance. Even in Wonder Woman 1984.

I am looking forward to where this takes the character.
    you rly should check out narcos,amazing show and pedro is just awsome in it

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    you rly should check out narcos,amazing show and pedro is just awsome in it
    I second this.

Myself and others think they're doing a phenomenal job. Your negative opinion seems to be the minority, not the majority..
    Honestly, and i'm tagging you because you sorta know where i stand overall on "the agendas" pushed in general.
    I liked the episode, it didn't feel forced, it had a good vibe too it and even if it sorta caught me off guard? It felt natural. I never really felt "why are they doing this", as I usually do.
    The only real complaint I have? They dragged that story out for a bit long. 10 minutes shorter and more focus on developing the overall story arc would have made more sense.
    I don't really feel it added much the story itself. Its weird because I dont feel it was forced but I also dont really feel it added much of value the the story going forward.
    It was just a nice, well done episode with some heart too it but their character arc was as long as the episode itself. I didn't really feel attached to them outside the actual episode.
    I dunno, probably would have fit better as episode 5-6 as a homage to bill AFTER building some story related to them up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Honestly, and i'm tagging you because you sorta know where i stand overall on "the agendas" pushed in general.
    Word of advice, anytime someone unironic complains about "agendas" being pushed, just ignore their opinion. It is just a buzz word that means nothing now. There have been tons of "agendas" pushed in the past from all sides, but only the current one someone is fighting against. Not going to get further into this because it begins to go into forbidden area.

I don't really feel it added much the story itself. Its weird because I dont feel it was forced but I also dont really feel it added much of value the the story going forward.
    It was just a nice, well done episode with some heart too it but their character arc was as long as the episode itself. I didn't really feel attached to them outside the actual episode.
    I dunno, probably would have fit better as episode 5-6 as a homage to bill AFTER building some story related to them up.
    You haven't played the game I am guessing by this response. Bill is a minor character in the game, and only has minor references later on in the story and a reference early on in Part 2. He does not appear in the flesh again.. Essentially filling the bridge from the opening act to the second act of the game which we are going to. This episode was meant to build the meaning you wanted about their deaths.
    –The Sith Code

I have to wonder how many of the players complaining about how Bill and Frank's story is irrelevant - completely skipped out on one of the best parts of the game - letters and journals and notes etc you find from various residents that lived, loved and died in places that Joel and Ellie visit. like... half the game is that kind of world building and its that way for a reason, unless you just don't bother to read. the last of us is literally about "last of us people left alive, trying to survive as best we can" Joel and Ellie are our main vehicle into the world, but its the world and its people that the story is about. and the show is just taking those artifacts you collect through the story and gives them visuals. These bit characters are part of the patchwork that lets viewer (or player) actualy feel like part of that world..

but what do I know.. I mean... how many people think about games even narrative games as something they "beat" rather then something they "finish" and then take a narrative game and complain when its show - expands on the NARRATIVE

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Good so far. Last episode was kinda boring, and I don’t recall their love story in the game, but it was a nice little backstory.
    it was mostly in notes from Frank that you find there (and then you find Frank himself - the show made their romance a lot sweeter than it was in game, and more obvious, but it was there, in game as well)

Word of advice, anytime someone unironic complains about "agendas" being pushed, just ignore their opinion. It is just a buzz word that means nothing now. There have been tons of "agendas" pushed in the past from all sides, but only the current one someone is fighting against. Not going to get further into this because it begins to go into forbidden area.

You haven't played the game I am guessing by this response. Bill is a minor character in the game, and only has minor references later on in the story and a reference early on in Part 2. He does not appear in the flesh again.. Essentially filling the bridge from the opening act to the second act of the game which we are going to. This episode was meant to build the meaning you wanted about their deaths.
    To be fair, i unironic complain about agendas. I agree fully its from all sides but I also am of the reasoning that two wrongs doesn't make a right.

I played the first one and even think I bought the 2nd one but time is limited so think I got maybe half way through, didnt put much effort into it tbh.
    But thats exactly what I mean... Their reference and character arc pretty much started and ended with that episode and frankly? I liked both of them, specially bill.
    It just felt strange, i can't put my finger on it. Why makes this great episode that only exists for that episode? What was the meaning? It feels like it gave something and instantly took it away, adding nothing but a bittersweet feeling.
    Only logical reason i can see is so they could skip far far ahead in time, i think we went like 13 years into the future with this episode? Hard to keep track with so many flashbacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    Only logical reason i can see is so they could skip far far ahead in time, i think we went like 13 years into the future with this episode? Hard to keep track with so many flashbacks.
    There was no "future" in this Episode. The first flashback is in 2003 and it goes up to 2007 when Bill meets Frank. Than 2010 is when they meet Joel. 2013 is the strawberries, and 2023 is the ending. So, the flashbacks take place over 20 years.

They set the timeline of events back 10 years from the games which is odd, but makes sense if they wanted the series to take place in an alternate 2023.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    All of the treatments that we have are external. Treating internal fungal infections is not something that those medicines are capable of as they would poison you from the inside out
    100% wrong. We've had antifungal pills for over a century. Hell, you can even buy some without a prescription.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    All of the treatments that we have are external. Treating internal fungal infections is not something that those medicines are capable of as they would poison you from the inside out
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/antifungal-medicines/

Second and third in the list of treatments for fungal infection are internal

There was no "future" in this Episode. The first flashback is in 2003 and it goes up to 2007 when Bill meets Frank. Than 2010 is when they meet Joel. 2013 is the strawberries, and 2023 is the ending. So, the flashbacks take place over 20 years.

They set the timeline of events back 10 years from the games which is odd, but makes sense if they wanted the series to take place in an alternate 2023.
    Fair enough. I dunno. Like i said, it was a pretty great and heartful story/episode. I just think it was:
    1. A bit long, taking a bit too much story time away from the actual story, specially since this doesn't carry forward.
    2. I dont know the entire story but I feel this would have been better as an episode 5-6-7 deal, when the story has been built up a bit.
    2.5. That or just have bill and frank exist for a little but more, go out of story and keep them for 2-3 episodes and make them mean something, because right now? It just felt pointless.

The story happens between the fighting. So you are literally reversing what I am saying. The fights against the infected aren't that important to the story. It gets boring.
    What are you talking about? It is an essential part of the franchise. This is its theme. Where's the sense of danger, of dread? It's a survival horror game. You know, where resources gets depleted and you're fighting monstrosities in a dark room using a flashlight. The spores were a crucial part of it. Now, they suddenly went with hentai tentacles. The hostile groups of people is the whole point of traveling alone. They can't trust anyone.

Doesn't really discounts what I said. The World movies took plot points from the novels and modified them into the new trilogy.
    Wu is important to those plot points. So, they brought back Wu. You do know the source for Jurassic Park is the 1990 novel and not the 1993 movie, right?
    I know. Yet, he didn't strike me as an important figure whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    You can "correct" mistakes.
    Mistakes? What exactly was a mistake?

Myself and others think they're doing a phenomenal job. Your negative opinion seems to be the minority, not the majority.
    That often is the case today. People seem to enjoy every other show like its the pinnacle of creation.

That often is the case today. People seem to enjoy every other show like its the pinnacle of creation.
    ...because it's such a crime to enjoy entertaining television? Come on, man.