Poll: What cloud strategy do you use?

What P1 Strategy do you use for Yogg clouds? (+4)

I like following the second cloud, I run in normal mode pugs and find that the easiest to explain and enforce.

Some times I have the melee in the center, other times just the tank in the center.

Feel free to post with how many extra clouds you pop and on what difficulty.

For the record here’s what I’m sure of:
    —All clouds are in fixed orbits
    —Clouds do not speed up or slow down
    ——I believe all clouds move at the same speed

Cloud 1 (Mercury) moves clockwise.
    Cloud 2 (Venus) moves counterclickwise. Even in Australia, I love all of you but refuse to recognize “anticlockwise” as a word it’s counterclockwise GDI.
    There are two clouds in orbit 3 (The Earth and the Moon), they move clockwise and are always on the opposite side of the orbit from each other.

It is possible to stand on the second orbit (Venus) even if orbits 1 & 3 are in conjunction on either side. It’s tight and it’s better to just not risk it but is possible to thread the needle.

I think orbits 4 and 5 may actually overlap. It’s possible they also move faster, and that there’s more than one cloud per track.

Orbit 2 is within 35 yards of Sara ( more or less).

I believe turning graphics settings down makes the boundaries of the clouds more apparent. Particle density maybe?
    Last edited by garicasha; 2023-02-06 at 08:05 AM.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Feel like nobody listens on Yogg anyway, at least the pugs I've done. They all think they can react to outgoing buffs/debuffs from Sara and try to melee, only to die, or vastly underestimate how big the cloud radius is which of course causes wipes when individuals spawn 3-4 adds in quick succession.

Basically we see who pops clouds and relegate them to door duty until P2 starts. But I think just having people anchor to one ranged who knows what they're doing is the best tactic and is what we normally do. When somebody causes a wipe because of cloud touching they're sent to the door.

Even in our guild back in 2009 when we were doing Yogg we told people if they popped clouds they would forfeit the roll on the mount for the week. That's how bad people were in a GUILD when we were doing 0 light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Basically we see who pops clouds and relegate them to door duty until P2 starts. But I think just having people anchor to one ranged who knows what they're doing is the best tactic and is what we normally do. When somebody causes a wipe because of cloud touching they're sent to the door.
    Man, this is so fucking good. I completely forgot about doing this back in OG Ulduar. I'm not playing Classic but there's something innately hilarious about sending raiders to sit in time out to think about their mistakes.

This is one of the few things in the game where I don’t think there’s one strategy that has won outright. Although maybe the poll results will show different.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

We pop 2 extra on the pull(1 light) and have melee stack in the middle under Sara. The range just stack loosely around one of our marked healers and play frogger with the clouds.

Do a couple extra at the start and just have everyone dodge clouds and be smart.

They'll get used to it. And if they don't they shouldn't be doing the boss.

I mean eventually you hit a boss where people can’t have their hand held, but I disagree, because if there’s a strategy that is consistently easy but the leadership just tells people to dodge clouds and be smart, that’s poor strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    I mean eventually you hit a boss where people can’t have their hand held, but I disagree, because if there’s a strategy that is consistently easy but the leadership just tells people to dodge clouds and be smart, that’s poor strategy.
    What other strategy is there other than making people who can't do the mechanic sit at the door and making everyone else pick up their slack? You can mark someone and follow them but that doesn't really help and you can split the groups but that doesn't change the number of points of possible failure.

It's not rocket science, it's a bad thing on the floor to not stand in.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, at it's basis dodge clouds is all you really need to do. I know it's not a super high tech strategy, but it's literally the only thing that can wipe you. The outgoing damage is incredibly small and the only thing that increases that is uh... people spawning more adds. More adds means more casts, and more adds also means it's way easier to lose track of which ones are buffed let alone handling interrupts for them all.

If you're doing +4 light it's best for the melee to just sit in the middle and not dodge clouds though. 4 light gives you +20% health and +20 DR, meaning that the chances of you getting one shot by an add explosion is minimal. Also Hodir will save one person every 25-30 seconds in your raid and put them in the ice block of shame. When adds get big that means they're enraged which causes them to do 100% more damage which can be dispelled by any hunter. As long as hunters are doing this and your melee are aware of what debuffs they have, there's a pretty small chance they ever die. The only thing they really have to watch out for is Sara's Blessing, which causes them to do more and take more damage. If they have this and eat an explosion they're probably going to die unless they use a personal.

Pretty much any combination of the add being frenzied and exploding, or being 'blessed' by the NPC is going to cause deaths in melee if they take explosions.

Yogg in it's entirety has never ever ever been a DPS race in any incarnation. There's a race to kill him before it becomes overwhelming on 0 light, but the enrage timer is something you will never truly hit. So yeah, the fight realistically boils down to not touching clouds in P1.

If you want the simplest shit possible sit all melee in middle and have people follow one person who knows what they're doing. If people are still struggling and hitting clouds, seriously. Game of Thrones that shit and send them to the wall of shame until P2 starts. I can't stress enough how little DPS or healing matters in the first phase of this fight. Watching range do Vezax is some next level shit in classic as well and is a great prelude to soon to be cloud touching extravaganza.

I usually mark myself as the main tank, and mark a trusted ranged person, and have the melee/ranged follow that person (with the melee staying in, unless Fervor).

I must confess I don't really have a set pattern as the tank, despite not being here for 14 years, it all came back to me as if it was yesterday, I just kind of...know, where to be, and how to leave plenty of space and at no point did our tank/melee group risk getting sandwiched between the two inner clouds.

I have yet to try having the entire raid stacked on Sara, but would be very interested in hearing people's experience with it, surely a bad mind control can really mess things up there?

i was told few times to try stand close to the clouds and "typhoon" the clouds make it go all away. My raiders were laughing about it so hard for couple attempts till i realized.....
    Last edited by trapmaster; 2023-02-07 at 03:35 PM.

I mark myself and ask that ranged just follow me. I try to make preemptive call outs to where I'll be moving next after the add dies so we're better positioned for the next one.