Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    sounds like intel fanboy doing damage control/copium.
    If thats what you got from either my post or the Gamers Nexus review (you know, those well known Intel shills..) then you have serious mental damage.

this is a win.
    Uhh... whut? It isnt a win or a loss. It just is what it is.

dont need a huge amount of energy,
    The fact that this is suddenly relevant to people after not being relevant at all for 20 years as some desperate grasp to try to find SOME way to denigrate the competition has always amused me. Especially given that which camp is in the right/wrong has shifted half a dozen times. AMD was the enemy because Bulldozer was a furnace. nVidia was the enemy because of XYZ, AMD again because of etc...

Even if the difference in system draw was super significant (it isnt), the total difference in cost to run the machine might be like 40$ a year if you live someplace where electricity is expensive like CA; if you're spending 2,000$+ on a rig, you can affford the difference. If you cant, then you need to not be spending 2k on a rig. And that assumes you're running the thing flat out all the time, which no one realisticaly does.

Not that it matters, because you know what else doesnt require a ton of energy? The 7700. You know what performs within the margin of error at resolutions people paying 2000$ for their rigs are actually playing at? The 7700. This wasn't about (ever) Intel vs AMD, this was about.. AMD vs AMD.

don't need expensive 7200+ mhz memory
    Neither does anything else, so what the fuck are you even on about?

, don't need top of the line motherboard,
    Id hardly call my B660 motherboard "top of the line". Seems to work just fine, and it was 60$ cheaper than the B650 equivalent.

dont need 1000+ watt power supply.
    Neither does anything else. You must have investments in straw companies, what with all the strawmen.

just get a cheap 6000mhz memory kit, b650 or a620, and off you go to top fps.
    The exact same can be said of Intel, though, FWIW, I wasnt even comparing them to Intel chips, but rather their own chips. And uh.. good luck putting that into A620 and having it perform well. Been participating in /buildapc a lot lately on reddit and that place is FLOODED with people having massive issues with the 5800X3D in budget-ish boards. It aint all hookers and sunshine. Not that its a serious issue, as decent midrange boards are perfectly fine and available for similar-enough prices that that isnt really the issue.

and if you want to wait for 7800x3d, prices are going to be even cheaper then.
    "Even cheaper" at 450$

For no actual performance gain over even their own much cheaper (and quite good) chips.

Thats the issue.

Its expensive - substantially more expensive than their own vanilla CPUs - performs worse in everything that isnt gaming, and provides no meaningful performance gains at resolutions people who are spending that kind of money actually play at.

Again, i never said it was a bad chip (it isnt), merely that it is underwhelming that AMD hasn't figured out a way to make the vCache relevant for actual enthusiasts.

The Venn Diagram of "people who love playing at 1080p low details" and "people who spend thousands on their rig" doesn't overlap more than a few pixels.

And thats the issue.

Because even with the 7800X3D at 450$, what AMD is saying is:

"Please spend 450$ to enjoy a 15% performance difference over our 200$ chip at 1080p, and have no serious benefits at any resolution above that."

Thats a pretty hard sell for anyone who is actualy paying attention.

Thats my issue. I need AMD to make this technology relevant to people actually spending this kind of money on their rigs. Id be more than happy to buy it if it gave the same performance uplift to 1440p; hell, despite just upgrading my rig to a 13600K, i'd turn around and sell it and buy the 7800X3D .... if it were actually going to do anything.

But I game at 1440p.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2023-02-28 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    if you are building the best of the best the 13900KS is currently better than 7950x3d in terms of value.
    If you are building "the best of the best", you do not need to care whether something costs 100€ more.
    "“I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, but you have elected the way of pain."

Quote Originally Posted by Haerdalis View Post
    If you are building "the best of the best", you do not need to care whether something costs 100€ more.
    Indeed I could see the virtue in this argument if the more expensive chip was clearly the best of best but given how close in terms of performance the 13900KS and 7950x3d are I don't think that argument holds water. Unless, of course, you really must have an AMD chip but even then depending your use case the 7950x3d doesn't make much sense because the regular 7950x is better for productivity whilst only being slightly slower in games and it looks like the 7800x3d will be a better performer in games.

But I would say that if you must have the best CPU the 13900KS and the 7950x3d offer such little performance over 13900k it would make little sense to pay the large premium for either of them.

To bring the thread back on topic I think that many people, myself included, were looking forward to seeing what v-cache would do to a high core count chip after the large gains on 5800x3d but its implementation just hasn't lived up to the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    if you are building the best of the best the 13900KS is currently better than 7950x3d in terms of value.
    Best of the best to do what? Neither is the best for gaming or production. If by best you mean halo product or most expensive product in their stack, then sure. If you want better gaming performance, you can goo with a i5/r5 or i7/r7 class chip and overclock it to perform better. Better production then you're looking at the wrong class of product anyway.

Most Expensive does not imply "best"

Sooo... 7900X3D is a pretty bad deal, as per gamers nexus that managed to grab one early.

7800X3D single ccd might avenge this launch yet. But as it stands, there are simply not enough 'mainstream' apps and games that leverage the cache.
    I don't think I've seen any review (I still have to check the lvl1techs ones) that plays around with infinity fabric-memory oc or pbo tuning, and these are new compared to 5800X3D.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2023-03-02 at 10:15 AM.