View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Always happy to help Huey in disbarring global problems in their connection to Brexit.

From the end of summer 2022, the shortage of fruit made itself felt on the European banana market. Due to poor climate conditions (cold, rains, lack of sunshine), as well as a lack of fertilisation directly linked to increasing input costs, the dollar origins supply was well below average.

https://www.fruitrop.com/en/Articles...low%20average.

A European wide problem see, nothing to do with Brexit. Unless of course you blame poor climate conditions on Brexit, which wouldn't surprise me.
    so because bananas were more expensive for countries using the euro second half last year the uk gets none this year?

that makes sense yeah totally
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Bananas to blame Brexit for no bananas.

The majority of our bananas sold in the UK and Ireland come from Costa Rica, Ecuador and Colombia.

https://www.tescoplc.com/sustainabil...nd%20Colombia.

But then some people blame Brexit if it rains in the UK...

But the good Brexit news keeps on coming as I read talks are progressing well for the UK to join the CPTPP today, who have a combined population of 500 million far in excess of the EU.

UK closing in on major Pacific trade deal after Sunak’s Brexit breakthrough

https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-e...-deal-in-days/

Side effect of our membership of the CPTPP that noone talks about would be that it makes it impossible to rejoin the EU. Beautiful.
    You do realise that the EU have trade agreements, the EU-Central america agreement and the EU-Colombia/Peru/Ecuador agreement with the countries you're listing there right?

Also the EU have trade agreements with the the majority of the CPTPP countries.

You have no idea on the arguments you're putting forward do you?

It's fine and dandy that you're happy for brexit, because you're afraid of foreigners, we get it. However there's no need to try to spin the shitshow it actually is.
    Last edited by Crispin; 2023-03-03 at 01:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bananas just aren't bendy enough for the sunlit uplands, obviously.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    so because bananas were more expensive for countries using the euro second half last year the uk gets none this year?

that makes sense yeah totally
    There is disruption to the supply of all sorts of foodstuffs for various reasons, including Bananas, across the world right now none of which is down to Brexit. And for those telling porkies as usual spreading misinformation, saying everything is rosy and plentiful in the EU and it is only happening in the UK, look what's being reported in the EU...

Shortages reported in broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, aubergines and courgettes

https://www.irishtimes.com/food/2023...-energy-costs/

There's the facts.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

There is disruption to the supply of all sorts of foodstuffs for various reasons, including Bananas, across the world right now none of which is down to Brexit. And for those telling porkies as usual spreading misinformation, saying everything is rosy and plentiful in the EU and it is only happening in the UK, look what's being reported in the EU...

Shortages reported in broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, aubergines and courgettes

There's the facts.
    Brexit is not the root cause, but it’s causing the issue to be worse for the UK. It’s not a hard concept kiddo, brexit will be a factor in making alot of issues just worse for the UK.

15+ Year Old Account

There's the facts.
    as per usual whatever the UK does also impacts their island neighbor, especially if they cut themselves off from a trade route that up until 2021 carried an estimated 180000 trailers annually on this route to Ireland

so they can thank you folks for cutting them off from a trade route
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seaford Mods might be the most viable BRitish Export in 2023.
    New album UK GRIM is out now! http://sleafordmods.ffm.to/ukgrim

It's like 30% brit pop and 70% crass with simonon bass.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Sleaford Mods
    Entertaining video, absolutely crap music.

Gief a decent protest song.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles
    If I weren't golfing in Thailand right now, where boys can still be boys and I assure you I'm far from impotent, I could link all the sources for you but head to facts4eu and educate yourself, they will have them for you. Too much Guardian is not good for you.
    the dark ages, those were probably the fault of Europe too

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post

There are so many things wrong with this, I don’t know where to start.

Bizarrely, it’s actually possible to interpret it in a positive way e.g., if you come here we won’t make slaves of you like we have done other migrant workers.

Of course, that’s not what’s meant, though.

I‘d like to say I’m shocked this has been published by a UK government, but I’m not.

But hey, fence-sitters, the UK’s still a nice place to live, isn’t it! Your silence speaks volumes.
    If I weren't golfing in Thailand right now, where boys can still be boys and I assure you I'm far from impotent, I could link all the sources for you but head to facts4eu and educate yourself, they will have them for you. Too much Guardian is not good for you.
    the dark ages, those were probably the fault of Europe too

7+ Year Old Account
    A policy for the UK that has been framed by and is the fault of the EU losing control of it borders.

As the EU tries to implement "Fortress Europe" building walls 1000km's long as a solution to its mistakes the UK cannot sit by and do nothing about illegal immigration. A Brexit benefit in taking back control of UK borders is that we can forge with the Rwanda plan for example something that works for us and prevents the people traffickers from making a profit out of human misery and saves lives by dissuading perilous channel crossings.

Such a good and compassionate idea, thanks to Brexit, that in fact many EU nations are now talking to Rwanda and other African nations about copying the British idea.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...sylum-seekers/

Will play well with UK voters if it works, and might even get the Tories re-elected, despite what Gary Lineker thinks.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

The Tories are in desperation mode, they are trying to find a win from somewhere and this nonsense is about the best they can do! While the rest of the country fails down round their ears!

I'm finding the reaction and pearl clutching about the Lineker's tweet hilarious! Good for him for standing up and saying what a lot of decent people are thinking about this.
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

taking back control of UK borders
    Which border is that, the one between Northern Ireland and Ireland or the one between Northern Ireland and Great Britain?

Man...gotta say it's a bit weirder when the xenophobic dude is the brown guy with the posh accent instead of the white guy with the posh accent, for a change.

I get it's the whole party and all, and it's really not surprising since we knew that Tories would continue dipping into this well whenever they needed to get a bit of an ego boost from the racists and all...but it's still weird.

I mean, major domestic problems and people struggling to afford heating and food? Can't get veggies from the store?

Well shit, ain't nothing to be done about that. Let's remind everyone that we hate them illegals again, that should solve the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Denied access to the UK's modern slavery system?

Uhhhh... Do you want to go back and maybe write a second draft?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Denied access to the UK's modern slavery system?

Uhhhh... Do you want to go back and maybe write a second draft?
    I guess those slavers will just have to go and legally bring their slaves into the country from now on...
    In other news, clueless Tories remain clueless.

The world’s largest seller of electric and hybrid cars will not consider building its first European car factory in the UK because of the impact of Brexit.

Clickety click.

Another Brexit....err....whatever the opposite of benefit is.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    The world’s largest seller of electric and hybrid cars will not consider building its first European car factory in the UK because of the impact of Brexit.

Clickety click.

its a benefit! less work, less migrants! ./s

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post

Clickety click.

“As an investor we want a country to be stable,” said Michael Shu, BYD’s European president, speaking to the Financial Times. “To open a factory is a decision for decades. Without Brexit, maybe. But after Brexit, we don’t understand what happened.

BYD, which stands for Build Your Dreams, said the UK had not even made a top 10 list of possible locations to build its first European car plant. The company already makes buses in Europe.

“The UK doesn’t have a very good solution,” said Shu. “Even on the long list we didn’t have the UK.”
    Good on the Tories, making the United Kingdom the most attractive place for investment in new, good paying manufacturing jobs by assuaging investor concerns and having a stable nation that they feel confident making a multi-billion dollar bet on.

- - - Updated - - -

7+ Year Old Account
    We don't make many cars in the UK any more, moved on to space things, satellites and more complicated stuff. (just ask Australia about our submarines vs EU ones. ) Let others do the simple menial things like building cars.

So anyway how does this change things? Hardly a win for the EU is it that a Chinese competitor opens up on the doorstep of Volkswagen et al undercutting prices. Still in the same way the EU once relied on Russian gas, they will come to rely on China for cheap transportation. Can't see anything going wrong there can you?

Finally as for foreign inward investment to the UK since and thanks to the beautiful Brexit let's see the facts once again...

quite funny watching the labour party poll lead drop to 10 points and knowing that they will lose the next election.