Poll: Welfare do you support it and what should it include?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    Why should foreign nationals be entitled to national welfare?

No sensible nation state on this Earth entitles foreigners to programs intended for its citizens.

Seriously, this uber leftism needs to die already. Nations matter. Your own people should come first.
    Then the netherlands aint sensible kekw

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Relying in charity to take care of millions upon millions of people is a fool's errand. Government-based welfare is critical because charity cannot take care of everyone. Hell, there's a lot of charities out there that only help people of X religion.
    Another issue is how many life long useless people can you have acting as a deterrent to society ?

I'm not talking about those down on their luck but the terminally I'll or violent that will never ever offer anything but abject misery and harm to others?

I'm not casting blame here but broaching the question. What is the realistic way to deal with this group? Reopen asylums so they can be confined for their own safety their entire lives.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatBlast View Post
    That's only an issue in your fantasy land, especially considering the "terminally I'll" in your words only offer abject misery and harm to others, so forgive me if I just laugh at this woefully "i'llegitimate" concern.
    You have never interacted with the homeless to any extent have you?

So you aren't actually serious and are just shitposting.
    I have a feeling you have grossly misunderstood what I typed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentim View Post
    Another issue is how many life long useless people can you have acting as a deterrent to society ?

I'm not talking about those down on their luck but the terminally I'll or violent that will never ever offer anything but abject misery and harm to others?

I'm not casting blame here but broaching the question. What is the realistic way to deal with this group? Reopen asylums so they can be confined for their own safety their entire lives.
    Sometimes there is a think and it's less about honesty and more an exercise in cruelty and indifference. Although I have had this conversation many times, and this concern and thinking does come up.

The questions becomes can some people ever become functioning or contributing members of society if not what. I think everyone can if the right options are available. Which is different than they are violent and destructive towards society, by whatever choice. If it can't be helped then yeah they need a guardian. If they can, they need to be in prison also to keep an eye on them and the rest of society, safe.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

You have never interacted with the homeless to any extent have you?
    Yeah, a lot. And done work with them through some local organizations over the years.

Have you ever actually spoken with any of them as one human being to another? You know, not just politely ignored them as you walked by or crossed the street to put some distance between the guy talking to himself?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yeah, a lot. And done work with them through some local organizations over the years.

Have you ever actually spoken with any of them as one human being to another? You know, not just politely ignored them as you walked by or crossed the street to put some distance between the guy talking to himself?
    Yes though if you want the moral high ground I did dispised each moment of it. Even was technically homeless living out of a car for a while. I just can't really respect most of them.

I see more common ground with a mugger then a beggar.

Yes though if you want the moral high ground I did dispised each moment of it. Even was technically homeless living out of a car for a while. I just can't really respect most of them.

I see more common ground with a mugger then a beggar.
    I can. Most of them are trying to get housed and off the streets, others need assistance since they're not capable of taking care of themselves. That you have such a dismal few of those less fortunate, one that is apparently fairly hostile, isn't surprising given your posting history of late. It's disappointing on a human level that you don't appear to have more empathy, but it's not remotely surprising.

I can. Most of them are trying to get housed and off the streets, others need assistance since they're not capable of taking care of themselves. That you have such a dismal few of those less fortunate, one that is apparently fairly hostile, isn't surprising given your posting history of late. It's disappointing on a human level that you don't appear to have more empathy, but it's not remotely surprising.
    Is what it is. Perhaps it's a nature vs nurture argument but if your not fully employing yourself to your own benefit why should others invest anything in you?

I can understand and pity illness its beyond their control and it isn't their fault we should offer them something. Addicts on the other hand.. they chose their life they should reap what they sow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Addicts, to a large extent, did not choose the life they are leading.

Is what it is. Perhaps it's a nature vs nurture argument but if your not fully employing yourself to your own benefit why should others invest anything in you?
    Fully employing? It's hard to get a job if you live on the streets, especially if you don't have much in the way of presentable attire and access to hygene and the like. That's why places like Utah have found success in providing housing to get folks off the street and jump-start their ability to find employment, transition to full-time housing and beyond - https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...g-first-model/

I can understand and pity illness its beyond their control and it isn't their fault we should offer them something. Addicts on the other hand.. they chose their life they should reap what they sow.
    Addiction is a disease, and yes we should help people suffering from addiction.

Why does it always seem like you have nearly zero human empathy and are cheerleading on the death and suffering of others?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's just an attempt at shitty human being any percent speedrun, having to actively acknowledge people can be this cruel is too much for my brain to facilitate at the moment.
    The dude never had an interaction with a homeless person in his life, except for driving by them and saying; they're disgusting.

Fully employing? It's hard to get a job if you live on the streets, especially if you don't have much in the way of presentable attire and access to hygene and the like. That's why places like Utah have found success in providing housing to get folks off the street and jump-start their ability to find employment, transition to full-time housing and beyond - https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...g-first-model/

Addiction is a disease, and yes we should help people suffering from addiction.

Why does it always seem like you have nearly zero human empathy and are cheerleading on the death and suffering of others?
    It isn't that hard with minimum funds it sucks but you clean up at a gym or tuck stop and head to a place that hires people for day work.

You live with other people it isn't the trap you see it as. As for addicts... either they want to get clean and stop using it they wont ever. I'm indifferent to their particular suffering.

It isn't that hard with minimum funds it sucks but you clean up at a gym or tuck stop and head to a place that hires people for day work.
    It's just so easy /5head, everyone is just so lazy, obviously. That's it. Glad you've solved the ongoing problems around homelessness and housing affordability that have been plaguing this nation for decades.

When are you submitting your whitepaper to some policy shops?

You live with other people it isn't the trap you see it as. As for addicts... either they want to get clean and stop using it they wont ever. I'm indifferent to their particular suffering.
    You seem fairly indifferent to suffering in general, much of which seems to be an extension of your ignorance on topics such as addiction.

It's just so easy /5head, everyone is just so lazy, obviously. That's it. Glad you've solved the ongoing problems around homelessness and housing affordability that have been plaguing this nation for decades.

When are you submitting your whitepaper to some policy shops?

You seem fairly indifferent to suffering in general, much of which seems to be an extension of your ignorance on topics such as addiction.
    It's hard to move past it but it isnt as hopeless as you want to portray it as. As for addiction if there is a physical addiction detain them and forcefully detox them if its mental... well we all have to live with our choices.

It's hard to move past it but it isnt as hopeless as you want to portray it as.
    I don't portray it as hopeless at all, because it's not. But it requires assistance, usually. Some folks are lucky enough to do it on their own, but most do need help. And that's totally fine.

As for addiction if there is a physical addiction detain them and forcefully detox them if its mental... well we all have to live with our choices.
    Here's some light reading you can do on the subject to better inform yourself and prevent further terrible takes like this: https://iuhealth.org/thrive/is-addic...ally-a-disease

I don't portray it as hopeless at all, because it's not. But it requires assistance, usually. Some folks are lucky enough to do it on their own, but most do need help. And that's totally fine.

Here's some light reading you can do on the subject to better inform yourself and prevent further terrible takes like this: https://iuhealth.org/thrive/is-addic...ally-a-disease
    It's not something I can reconcile. I can understand physical addiction heroin things of that nature. I can't in good faith consider consuming posion actively I'm the same category as a disease or infection. You have to actively consume something it isn't passive or self proliferating.

It's not something I can reconcile.
    That's wonderful, because it doesn't need your consent, acknowledgement, or understanding to be real.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's been homeless, on welfare growing up, from my own personal experience is that people without money or problems are no better or worse than those who appear to have no problems and have money.

The only difference is perception and opportunity. You do have some extremally lazy stupid fucks that don't want to do any kind of work and spent an entire life time before becoming homeless or poor having shit handed to them and never hearing the word NO.

HOWEVER even these people don't deserve to be on the street, homeless, and fed cans of dog food or whatever the fuck people donate to make themselves feel superior.

Poverty is as much of an environmental reality as global warming, it's impact on our world in terms of waste, and managed resources is every bit as real. The problem is like everything else it's always the NOT IN MY BACKYARDS who bitch the most, claim to give a shit and do almost nothing compared to showing contempt.

here are some facts.

Not every person poor or homeless is lazy or on fucking drugs.

Every person who is poor and homeless has fucking problems, many of their own making most not.

Most people who are homeless or poor are not fucking criminals in the sense they are doing anything but trying to survive.

Bottom line is that homelessness and poverty isn't just going to go away if you don't think about it, or think positively and refuse to accept the ugly and reality is something we can DO a lot about. Not everything. But honestly a lot of the problems we have from top down has to do with the lack of empathy.

And when I say lack of empathy, I am not talking about just those people who worked for a living or had greater opportunities at different times, who forget where they came from or don't know other peoples problems are the same and also different.

I am talking about a lot of individuals who performance argue stupid, shit about value and any other kind of judgement, who also seem to think they are immune to he same kinds f judgements and circumstances falling to them.

I would say the main key indicator on any end are those who if tomorrow they lost everything, Outside of being devastated like anyone would be, many would be afraid because they have no idea how they are going to get what they had, because they really aren't as confident in how they got it in the first place.

It's no mystery everyone has to work in some compacity, and the whole has to be greater than the sum of our parts if we are going to fix things and balance things out.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

That he finds more in common with a mugger speaks loads about his experiences...and the lack there of.