Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    The bill, like all the other recent Republican educational initiatives, has to do with their efforts to demonize and eliminate trans people or whitewash education to pretend racism wasn't and isn't a thing. You cannot separate the two.
    I don't disagree with you on that, and I do agree the targets from bills like this and other things is legitimately a threat. I honestly hope this thread doesn't get derailed and these kinds of ideas hopefully defeated and the motive likely behind it, that maybe it can be defeated on it's face.

I also don't pretend to know how to do it, since I understand where it could be appealing.

But keep in mind I am sure there are plenty of Trans parents that probably might find the optics of this bill appealing as well. For some of the same reasons but as I said in a different direction.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    But keep in mind I am sure there are plenty of Trans parents that probably might find the optics of this bill appealing as well.
    Where are these trans parents that support Republican anti-trans initiatives, exactly? Are they behind the sofa cushions? Did you put them in with the other laundry? Are the trans parents in the room with us right now?

And no, grifters like Blaire White don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    But keep in mind I am sure there are plenty of Trans parents that probably might find the optics of this bill appealing as well. For some of the same reasons but as I said in a different direction.
    I don't know any supportive Trans parents that would support a bill that would require schools to tell every other parent that their kid is trans and who supports them.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    The bill, like all the other recent Republican educational initiatives, has to do with their efforts to demonize and eliminate trans people or whitewash education to pretend racism wasn't and isn't a thing. You cannot separate the two.
    That fucking sucks and to this, I have to say you are right, but 218 at least of our representatives passed this. I hoped we could have a discussion about it and maybe people thinking about it can see exactly what you mean across the board.

Regardless to background this shit can be a problem for everyone too.

Fun fact: I was on track to become a Physics teacher. Got my Bachelor's in Physics and was working on my Masters for Physics and Education. Started doing my student teaching gigs and threw all of that right in the bin.

Know what stopped me? It wasn't the kids. For the most part they were great and even the troublemakers I learned how to handle in a way that kept them from disrupting the class and in most cases helped them as well. The administration? Sure, there's some bureaucratic nonsense to deal with and you have to learn how to work around it, but it's doable. Even with strict rules for curriculums and such you can find wiggle room to actually make the lessons enjoyable for both yourself and the students. The low pay and long hours? They suck, but everyone going into teaching KNOWS this by now (in the US, of course; teachers are more valued in other western countries) so most teachers take the job expecting this but having a passion for the job that makes up for it.

No, what made me quit the program and move on (and eventually out of the country) were the fucking parents. Parent-teacher meetings opened my eyes to one of the worst parts of the job. A lot of them were great, but a large portion of them were braindead dipshits who thought their little spawn was special and therefore required special treatment. All of them thought they knew what was best for their child and nearly all of them were entirely wrong. Why the fuck would I teach Creationism in a PHYSICS class? On one occasion there were a pair of real "winners" who were upset that I was teaching their child--who was a pretty bright gal--about George Edward Alcorn Jr, Herman Branson and James C. Davenport. All were influential physicists--who just happened to be Black. "Save that shit for Black History month or whatever" was the remark that became one of the last straws.

So no, "leaving it up to the parents" is one of the worst fucking ideas possible when it comes to a well-rounded education. Giving the parents such a huge say in what is taught doesn't mean the kids aren't "indoctrinated". It just means they're indoctrinated with some pretty bigoted bullshit from the parents themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Parents already have those rights.
    The only thing parents are gaining are involving gender identity and expression, alongside sexual identity and expression.

The topic is 100% about that and pretending otherwise is dishonest.
    I didn't start this topic about that. It recent legislation and pretty significant, and applies towards education. I can't deny the truth you mentioned, I just hoped it could involve perspectives, certainly and likely vigorous debate, but hopefully not into just forbidden topic. Since there is a lot of meat here besides that too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Fun fact: I was on track to become a Physics teacher. Got my Bachelor's in Physics and was working on my Masters for Physics and Education. Started doing my student teaching gigs and threw all of that right in the bin.

Know what stopped me? It wasn't the kids. For the most part they were great and even the troublemakers I learned how to handle in a way that kept them from disrupting the class and in most cases helped them as well. The administration? Sure, there's some bureaucratic nonsense to deal with and you have to learn how to work around it, but it's doable. Even with strict rules for curriculums and such you can find wiggle room to actually make the lessons enjoyable for both yourself and the students. The low pay and long hours? They suck, but everyone going into teaching KNOWS this by now (in the US, of course; teachers are more valued in other western countries) so most teachers take the job expecting this but having a passion for the job that makes up for it.

No, what made me quit the program and move on (and eventually out of the country) were the fucking parents. Parent-teacher meetings opened my eyes to one of the worst parts of the job. A lot of them were great, but a large portion of them were braindead dipshits who thought their little spawn was special and therefore required special treatment. All of them thought they knew what was best for their child and nearly all of them were entirely wrong. Why the fuck would I teach Creationism in a PHYSICS class? On one occasion there were a pair of real "winners" who were upset that I was teaching their child--who was a pretty bright gal--about George Edward Alcorn Jr, Herman Branson and James C. Davenport. All were influential physicists--who just happened to be Black. "Save that shit for Black History month or whatever" was the remark that became one of the last straws.

So no, "leaving it up to the parents" is one of the worst fucking ideas possible when it comes to a well-rounded education. Giving the parents such a huge say in what is taught doesn't mean the kids aren't "indoctrinated". It just means they're indoctrinated with some pretty bigoted bullshit from the parents themselves.
    I know why people would want you to teach Creationism in a Physic class.

But, yeah, I went to school to be a teacher in Biology ... you can take a guess on why I decided against being a teacher.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't start this topic about that. It recent legislation and pretty significant, and applies towards education. I can't deny the truth you mentioned, I just hoped it could involve perspectives, certainly and likely vigorous debate, but hopefully not into just forbidden topic. Since there is a lot of meat here besides that too.
    The only new thing is about the gender and sexual stuff.
    Everything else is already a thing and nothing new.

The "meat" you are talking about barely counts.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Where are these trans parents that support Republican anti-trans initiatives, exactly? Are they behind the sofa cushions? Did you put them in with the other laundry? Are the trans parents in the room with us right now?

And no, grifters like Blaire White don't count.
    I don't know that isn't a perspective I can speak from. I know there are Trans gendered parents, and it is likely some appeal could be felt towards this by anyone, and not likely just the IMO the bigoted authors that got this through.

As for the bold fair enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post

Yeah, I am a Christian and I do not want the bible taught in science class, Of Course I have my faith and I'll teach my children that at home, and as they become older should they reject that, then that is their decision.

But school should be about getting an education, public or private. Religion in my view is about faith, and that in my view like some other issues are best discussed at home in part or whole.

Science needs to be about SCIENCE, empirical principles of evidence and how we get to what we can prove.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The only new thing is about the gender and sexual stuff.
    Everything else is already a thing and nothing new.

The "meat" you are talking about barely counts.
    I don't agree, but I understand what you mean.

"children have the right to privacy from their parents"

That kind of negligent parenting is the kind that ends up having your daughter become an only fans 304.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post

That kind of negligent parenting is the kind that ends up having your daughter become an only fans 304.
    It isn't negligence, it is recognizing your kid is a human being.
    –The Sith Code

Yeah, it's not as if there's a huge chasm between "completely neglect whatever your kids do" and "micromanage every single damn decision about them and ignore their need for reasonable amounts of privacy".

And if it wasn't clear enough for you, both extremes are abuse, toeing the line is what decides if it's proper parenting or not.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

I had to look up what an "only fans 304" even was. Somehow, I'm not shocked that you'd describe people that way.

But no, parents have absolutely no right to stop their adult children from doing sex work. Sorry, not sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I had to look up what an "only fans 304" even was. Somehow, I'm not shocked that you'd describe people that way.

But no, parents have absolutely no right to stop their adult children from doing sex work. Sorry, not sorry.
    I looked it up and it's a bunch of YT videos of some lonely lookin dudes talking about it and I honestly have no fuckin clue what it means, I assumed it was a typo. If it won't destroy too many brain cells, do you mind PMing me what the fuck it even is? It's hard keeping up with all the lingo the fringe parts of the internet adopt.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I looked it up and it's a bunch of YT videos of some lonely lookin dudes talking about it and I honestly have no fuckin clue what it means, I assumed it was a typo.
    eh. Just shorthand for calling someone a whore. "Type 304 in a calculator, turn it upside down, and it says HOE" was the explanation I saw.

eh. Just shorthand for calling someone a whore. "Type 304 in a calculator, turn it upside down, and it says HOE" was the explanation I saw.
    Gotcha, someone else PM'd me too. I honestly kinda regret asking now. I should have known it would be this silly, but I am not the smartest person around.

Gotcha, someone else PM'd me too. I honestly kinda regret asking now. I should have known it would be this silly, but I am not the smartest person around.
    Understanding their mentality requires the opposite of intelligence.

Like I said, I had to look it up to... I spend no time on social media, so I never know what any of this crap actually means when I come across it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it says a lot that some people who's only qualification is that someone lowered their standards enough to pity fuck them is claiming to have better grasp on imparting knowledge than someone who earned a degree in education for the purpose of teaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, I had to look it up to... I spend no time on social media, so I never know what any of this crap actually means when I come across it.
    It is a way to bypass censorship on sites.

The people who use it think they are smart, when children have been doing that kind of stuff for decades at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    I think it says a lot that some people who's only qualification is that someone lowered their standards enough to pity fuck them is claiming to have better grasp on imparting knowledge than someone who earned a degree in education for the purpose of teaching.
    It is pretty standard. And the bill had amendment from someone who failed their GED three times before getting it (rumor is that she was granted it out of pity too).
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    The qualification is only a fantasy that someone did that for them.