Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Plenty of options to make the game lag less instead players seeing eachother, like removing area effects once u reach a limit.
    This is 2023, we talking about a billion dollar company, you aint telling me there is nothing they can do then just use sharding.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet MoP saw more players and stability since the moment they added sharding. I wonder why.
    They can, it is called servers, it is phsyically impossible to have a mega server with every player in the game, no game has or will be able to pull it off, because with every single new person in the area, you are multiplying the bandwith needed

it is not 10 people
    it is 10 people needing to receive data about the other 9, and send their own data, meaning it is not "10 data packs going out/in" it is 100, and each person increases that multiplicativly.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    it has been reported that private servers have no lag issues with tons of players massing online and there is no clear reason why because blizz wont comment.

we do know that blizz moved away from physical server blades (which were auctioned off or given away as tokens) in favor of virtual servers running on a cloud to save costs, which may actually result in worse performance.

but again, we just dont know how much better or worse the new system is, but id bet a lot worse.
    They most likely cheapened out on the server cost for maximum profit in return the playerbase would feel it instead of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Why do you make all this shiit up? Like cmon, I started to play like 3 months before TBC release and did some capital city raids and we were lagging as hell with like 40 people in raid and once we arrived in Stormwind it was just a total freez and lag fest.

Flawless 300 people battles, yeah right, wake up and stop dreaming.
    If you freezed with 40 pple raids, then it's a total your PC issue. i NEVER lagged with just 40 pple in the ground, not back then and not even today.
    I did lag with 80+ pple for sure, but 40 come on. Even AV 40v40 i never experienced lag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

RP servers exist but not sure how they handle sharding there.
    I hear they SOMETIMES enforce sharding even in RP servers if necessary....even though i never noticed it.

I'm not, I hate competing over mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikeychris View Post
    Also wonder how many social events they try and organise in game...
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Bit weird how you and Kokolums blame Blizzard for a player-created problem.
    What?! You are telling me this isn't a Blizzard problem and that the mighty Gimlix, Kokolums (and others who side with him) are? I refuse to believe that.

Yes, this post is filled with heavy sarcasm. People like Gimlix and others expect everyone to do it for them instead of putting in any effort to try and recreate their "dream".

If you freezed with 40 pple raids, then it's a total your PC issue. i NEVER lagged with just 40 pple in the ground, not back then and not even today.
    I did lag with 80+ pple for sure, but 40 come on. Even AV 40v40 i never experienced lag.
    Let's see if this checks off the boxes on the delusion list:

1) Never frozen with 40 people - Check
    2) Never lagged with 40 people back in Classic - Check
    3) Lagged with 80+ people, but never when it was a 40v40 - Check

Hit at least three boxes, but let's break it down. Never frozen or had any lag with 40 people. A lot of people did back in MC and other raids (including outdoor) but the fights were so simplistic that it didn't affect you much. It wasn't just a PC thing, plus back then PC's weren't that powerful at all. A lot of people during that time frame didn't have super powerful computers as they were still "newish" at the time to a lot of households.

Never lagged with 40 people. Again, you most definitely did as zones that had that many would experience some sort of lag. This would also cover a 20v20 (which happened in SS / TM throughout the expansion). In fact, 40 people standing around would be more equivalent to a 15 v 15 due to more actions firing.

Lastly, you say you lagged with 80 people (we'll be nice and assume standing there doing nothing), but you didn't lag in AV which was 40v40? Yeah, that's another lie right there. 80 people standing around would be a rough equivalent of a 30v30 (possibly 35v35) due to so many actions firing off. Plus AV had buffs going off constantly. All of that is a lot more demanding than 80 people standing around, but yet you never lagged? Yeah, untrue.

Every thing you have said is experienced through your rose tinted goggles rather than what actually had happened.

We talking about a billion dollar company, you aint telling me there is nothing they can do then just use sharding.
    How about you do it if its so easy. Make a MMO with no PlayerCap at no point, and have it LagLess and fun. I mean, you said it, its easy.

Delusional if you think the game aging is the only reason for it's decline, it's sure not. there are alot of factors into play which sharding is one reason of.
    It is you who is delusional lol, games get boring especially when the gameplay is essentially the same for almost 2 decades, sharding make gameplay smooth its essential in an MMO, players get old and bored and just stop playing with nothing to do with the expansion or gameplay systems. Sharding has no impact on player loss.

- - - Updated - - -

You are talking nonsense, you do know the lag comes from the servers not being able to process the data fast enough right, a server can only process so much at a time, there is plenty of vids available showing how bad lag is when too many ppl are in the same area casting abilities, its not playable at all.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

This is such a bad argument, i experienced 300 man raids during WoW peakdays and it barely effected lag, AV is 40v40 too and no lag either.
    50ish people is just DISGUSTINGLY low and bad for a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game.

People forget how much fun a massively overcrowded world is and prefer convenience over immersion and fun.
    Well, this is an absolute lie.

Anybody that says sharding is bad for the game clearly didn’t play it through its hay-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    I hear they SOMETIMES enforce sharding even in RP servers if necessary....even though i never noticed it.
    Sharding is enforced in current content zones at all time (DF continent), but cap is higher iirc.

In the other parts of the game, sharding happens at rare occassions when a lot of players is gathered at the same place, or during expansion launches in zones that are high traffic.

On argent dawn EU it happens once in a while during the monthly stormwind market, where there's a triple digit amount of players gathered in SW at the same time (probably 300+). It is a rarity though.
    At the last market event i got sharded as i were in line to enter a raffle.
    at the point sharding kicks in, the servers are definitely going jank from the traffic, and close to becoming a hot mess.

Couldn't agree more with OP.

Sharding is absolutely WORST thing that has EVER happened to WOW.

Also what I hate- when someone opens on me in "wpvp" (aka he tries to gank me) - I fight back, and when Im JUST ABOUT to kill them - they vanish. Thats soooooo ffing frustrating! (Dunno if they run away to some other server by using lfd tool or what is it- but it happens in 8/10 "wpvp" cases). Beyond disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    I said this earlier in the thread but bears repeating - it's my understanding that demand on servers increased massively increased when they removed snapshotting - means that instead of dots being fire and forget they have to keep going back and checking the stats of the character who cast the spell. That happened sometime in mop so if private servers are from before that time, sure, performance will be better.
    I believe it was either at the end of MoP or the start of WoD.

I remember the real catalyst was that trinket from Lei Shen, the one that dumped all of your secondary stats into your highest one. I just can't remember if they did it with Siege of Orgrimmar or saved it for WoD.

You play a MMORPG because you wanna experience an alive open world, not to feel like the game is dead because your server is too populated.
    Everyone play a mmorpg for its own personnal reason, not everyone do it because they "wanna experience an alive open world".
    MMO Champs :

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    I said this earlier in the thread but bears repeating - it's my understanding that demand on servers increased massively increased when they removed snapshotting - means that instead of dots being fire and forget they have to keep going back and checking the stats of the character who cast the spell. That happened sometime in mop so if private servers are from before that time, sure, performance will be better.
    So they made class design worse AND fucked the servers?

Blizzard kekw

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Sharding is enabled in all "current" content. But all old world content has no sharding no matter whatz with the warning to players for rp realms. This caused issues in bfa cause when the arathi basin opened up it was a new zone but considered old world which meant it had no sharding, making the zone basically unplayable on rp realms till blizz fixed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma77 View Post
    So they made class design worse AND fucked the servers?

Blizzard kekw
    No they didn't, you and the Anti Blizzard squad will look for anything to poke at them
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    WoW servers are the most stable in the industry and have been since forever.
    The Gates Ahn'Qiraj opening event says Hi!

Splitting communities of players because something is overcrowded is just wrong in a MMORPG
    Oh, are you one of those "lag while fighting in huge cluster of players is authentic" kind of players?

Feels like stress on a zone is way overrated issue that people make it to out be,
    I have to wonder if you ever played WoW on release day of expansions and major content patches. I can tell you, questing or doing world quests in zones where the world boss was active was horrible in the first couple weeks of every expansion/major content patches. And that is with sharding.

Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    You are right, but it all started with LFR and LFD, retail players and developers still love all these community destroying additions and they are getting what they deserve; the death of retail. I think retail will continue downhill in player counts and that will lead to smaller development teams which will lead to less content and less players. Eventually Microsoft/Blizzard will realize that it's cheaper to keep Classic alive and let retail die or at least clean out the development team by letting it die for a couple of years then bring it back with a fresh team hired by Microsoft.
    I can't agree with this more.

When Cata came out, I was so hyped to play. I had quit during wrath's ICC raid but decided a year later to come back into the game full force. My plan was to join a hardcore raiding guild as fast as possible and to become the best feral on my server. Downloaded Cata, bursted through the levels in 5 mins. Now I'm max level and it's time to get my iLvl up so I can join normal raids. To do that, you needed to use raid finder.
    So I queue into raid finder for the first time in my life. The raid was The Dragon Soul. I'm instantly teleported to inside a raid somewhere. I'm surrounded by 20 people I've never seen. Not a single person is talking. I follow the mob around and spam swipe and boss after boss dies. I don't know who these bosses are or why we are killing them. Purples rain down from above. Finally we reach the last boss and I DPS something's hand as hard as I can. I die and 5 mins later the boss dies on the first attempt. A cinematic plays of Thrall killing the last boss instead. I get another purple item.
    I sit back in my chair. Now I need to do that 20 more times so I can do it again on normal so I can join a guild so I can do it on heroic. Instead I uninstalled the game.

Blademaster
    5+ Year Old Account
    I remember raiding capital cities back in Burning Crusade on older hardware. The game was very playable. I agree with OP, I hate flying around on a flight path and seeing people disappear due to sharding. I'm sure it's possible with todays tech.

Quote Originally Posted by liyroot View Post
    I can't agree with this more.

When Cata came out, I was so hyped to play. I had quit during wrath's ICC raid but decided a year later to come back into the game full force. My plan was to join a hardcore raiding guild as fast as possible and to become the best feral on my server. Downloaded Cata, bursted through the levels in 5 mins. Now I'm max level and it's time to get my iLvl up so I can join normal raids. To do that, you needed to use raid finder.
    So I queue into raid finder for the first time in my life. The raid was The Dragon Soul. I'm instantly teleported to inside a raid somewhere. I'm surrounded by 20 people I've never seen. Not a single person is talking. I follow the mob around and spam swipe and boss after boss dies. I don't know who these bosses are or why we are killing them. Purples rain down from above. Finally we reach the last boss and I DPS something's hand as hard as I can. I die and 5 mins later the boss dies on the first attempt. A cinematic plays of Thrall killing the last boss instead. I get another purple item.
    I sit back in my chair. Now I need to do that 20 more times so I can do it again on normal so I can join a guild so I can do it on heroic. Instead I uninstalled the game.
    How did you get hyped for Cata launch, and then somehow not play until Dragon Soul.

And normal DS was more than doable with heroic dungeon gear.