Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I don’t
    And like I said, you're not qualified to comment because of it.

but know many who are and many of them say the exact same about unions. In fact they have said much worse.
    r/thathappened

You'll find malcontents in every union; their opinions are neither reflective of the majority of people in the union or even reflective of the reality of how the union operates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    And like I said, you're not qualified to comment because of it.

r/thathappened

You'll find malcontents in every union; their opinions are neither reflective of the majority of people in the union or even reflective of the reality of how the union operates.
    Then by that logic neither are those that say they are satisfied. My contention has nothing to do with one experience or another. My position is unions by themselves are not always good or bad. My opinion is that at least more as of late they’re not and counterproductive in many cases.

When it comes to livable wages and safety great. When it amounts to legalized extortion for a mob not so much.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'd rather keep the forty hours but rather get pay that keeps up not just with inflation but also with productivity increases.
    Obviously we should get that as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    So you support economic terrorism.
    Considering that's how we got 8 hour work days, weekends off, pay one can survive of, not using company script, fire escapes, etc?
    Yes I do.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Obviously we should get that as well!
    I honestly mention it because I feel that the 35-30 hour week or the 4 day week are used as scapegoats by media largely aligned with corporate interests; reducing hours worked (for only a very specific segment of the working population, almost entirely white collar at that) is far less costly to them than actually making up for the massive theft of the working class through wage stagnation over the past three decades. So they are pushing for the narrative of working less hours when that is a far inferior demand to a proper wage.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I honestly mention it because I feel that the 35-30 hour week or the 4 day week are used as scapegoats by media largely aligned with corporate interests; reducing hours worked (for only a very specific segment of the working population, almost entirely white collar at that) is far less costly to them than actually making up for the massive theft of the working class through wage stagnation over the past three decades. So they are pushing for the narrative of working less hours when that is a far inferior demand to a proper wage.
    Oh, absolutely
    And I am thinking of all blue-collar work as well.

Stores that want to have people where 7-22 7 days a week will need to hire more people and balance it around profits, or close down on hours open. Etc.

Places with shifts that work 24/7 will need to change the amount of people they have working. And pay the bosses and shareholders less. Etc

But I've gone to the left as fuck the past 12 years.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Then by that logic neither are those that say they are satisfied.
    You seem not to understand the concept of an outlier.

My contention has nothing to do with one experience or another.
    Despite the fact that your contention is entirely lacking in evidence (as usual) and is based upon what "you've seen" - so yes, your lack of experience with either teachers or nurses unions is very relevant.

My position is unions by themselves are not always good or bad. My opinion is that at least more as of late they’re not and counterproductive in many cases.
    And that position is wrong on both a general and specific level.

On the general level, unions are necessary in order to correct an inherent imbalance of power in the job market favoring employers as a result of market participation being compulsory.

On the specific level, unionization of teachers results in kids doing better in school and unionization of nurses results in better outcomes for patients.

When it comes to livable wages and safety great. When it amounts to legalized extortion for a mob not so much.
    You've not demonstrated that "legalized extortion for a mob" is a thing that actually happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Oh, absolutely
    And I am thinking of all blue-collar work as well.

Stores that want to have people where 7-22 7 days a week will need to hire more people and balance it around profits, or close down on hours open. Etc.

Places with shifts that work 24/7 will need to change the amount of people they have working. And pay the bosses and shareholders less. Etc

But I've gone to the left as fuck the past 12 years.
    Yeah I am not sure I'd side with Lafargue on that. I absolutely understand cutting down on work hours in salaried positions were there is a reasonably stable demand that can be met in less than 40 hours. But shift jobs simply require someone to be present during all hours beyond other tasks so the employee's time is not in any way wasted. I don't think the 40hour work week is problematic; the problematic parts are a) insane commutes, b)the fact that a) many people are NOT offered 40 hours because it can be cheaper to employ multiple people for the same job that work for less hours and c) people end up not making a living wage so to make ends meet they have to work far more than 40 hours. Imo b and c are things that can be solved with unionization and common sense legislation and a) is a different beast but can also be solved (through social housing policies and aggressive taxation of rental properties).

10+ Year Old Account
    So you support economic terrorism.
    If your goal is to get absolutely no one to take anything you say seriously, framing workers standing up for their rights in an organised manner as ”economic terrorism” is a good way to go about it.

A Licensed Practical Nurse the lowest per year is Mississippi $38,000 exception (Puerto Rico $23,000), The highest Massachusetts $59,000.
    For a Registered Nurse the lowest is again Mississippi $58,000 exception (Puerto Rico $40,000) the highest is California $106,000. Per Teach.com.

So it seems relative. But looks pretty good.
    As for teachers it seems about the same
    That's a joke, right?
    Those are ghetto wages in today's economy. Nurses and teachers need better.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I trust billionaires way more than "progressives".
    The greedy vs the moral and ethical. That's so very you. [/QUOTE] And your support of child labor should demand a response here; 10-year-old children were found working at a Louisville McDonald's until 2 a.m.

But then I suppose you applaud this sort of thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That's a joke, right?
    Just to add to that, the California one qualifies for low income housing near where I live.

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion is that at least more as of late they’re not and counterproductive in many cases.
    And your "opinion" has no basis in reality, and is nothing but an expression of your personal animus against the working class.

People need to start to realize that "opinions" are worth precisely jack shit. Nobody gives a fuck about your "opinions". Having one does not mean you have a valid point that people should pay attention to. The only time an "opinion" starts to become worth anything is when you can qualify that opinion with objective merit in some way, whether through strong reasoning from established principles or through the backing of evidence that supports that opinion.

You can believe whatever you want. If you want other people to take those beliefs seriously, the onus lies with you to justify those opinions to the rest of us. Otherwise, it's just absolute fuckin' nonsense that can and will be mocked and discarded as the nothing that it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    You've not demonstrated that "legalized extortion for a mob" is a thing that actually happens.
    You see, when workers unionize so their collective negotiating power gives them a useful seat at the negotiating table to protect their wages and compensation from employers, that's "legalized extortion".

But when employers offer starvation wages because they know prospective employees are desperate and unorganized, when they exploit that literal duress to get better terms for themselves in those contract negotiations, when they do so with the sole interest of better exploiting that worker's productivity to make themselves (more) rich, that's not "legalized extortion", you see.

Not that they'll ever be able to actually justify drawing that distinction.

A Licensed Practical Nurse the lowest per year is Mississippi $38,000 exception (Puerto Rico $23,000), The highest Massachusetts $59,000.

For a Registered Nurse the lowest is again Mississippi $58,000 exception (Puerto Rico $40,000) the highest is California $106,000. Per Teach.com.

So it seems relative. But looks pretty good. Not sure what years on top of the license does to that. I would say I’ve seen as many good nurses as I have bad. The bad honestly don’t seem to care.

Hell a shit load of nurses left due to Covid shot requirements

As for teachers it seems about the same

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t but know many who are and many of them say the exact same about unions. In fact they have said much worse.
    A lot of nurses left and are leaving not due to the shot as you are required to get the flu shot yearly and other vaccines to work in health care. They left due to the treatment from management, angry patients and just general burnout from having to work extremely long shifts due to the fact that, in some places, they cannot outright leave until they are relieved or they can be held accountable if someone under their watch starts to gets far worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That's a joke, right?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The greedy vs the moral and ethical. That's so very you. And your support of child labor should demand a response here; 10-year-old children were found working at a Louisville McDonald's until 2 a.m.

But then I suppose you applaud this sort of thing.
    Funny thing is, I make nearly what that nurse makes just working overnight as a lead in a grocery store. You can make FAR more, if you are full time, working at Costco and you don't need any specialized training or schooling. There is a factory near me that if you don't mind hard labor that is fast paced can make in the upper $40k range just being a packer working on a line with full benefits and this needs no training or schooling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    A lot of nurses left and are leaving not due to the shot as you are required to get the flu shot yearly and other vaccines to work in health care. They left due to the treatment from management, angry patients and just general burnout from having to work extremely long shifts due to the fact that, in some places, they cannot outright leave until they are relieved or they can be held accountable if someone under their watch starts to gets far worse.
    Ok, but as a patient or ever having dealt with nurses. Their position and bargaining for better wages doesn’t seem to ever translate to better care for patients. Just like teachers for students. It’s only about them.

Ok, but as a patient or ever having dealt with nurses. Their position and bargaining for better wages doesn’t seem to ever translate to better care for patients. Just like teachers for students. It’s only about them.
    It can depending on what they're negotiating for, which can include lower numbers of patients to oversee at once to allow them to dedicate more time to each one. But that's not the point, the point is they're negotiating for better working conditions and compensation.

It's not always about you (yes you) at the end of the day, and you still seem to absolutely hate working people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Horseshit.

You have no basis for this. You're just slandering people for your own personal political reasons. Literally making up shit to make innocent people look bad, because you neither respect them or the work that they do.

Just off the top of my head, I've been through teacher strikes where reducing class sizes and getting EAs into more classrooms were key elements, where more money for supplies was expected, etc. All that's about the students, not the teachers. With nurses, demanding more staff so they don't have to work doubles and such, that's also about patient care more than nurses themselves; overworked nurses provide worse care due to exhaustion. And so on.

You're just making shit up out of absolutely nothing but your own personal antagonism and lack of respect for other people.
    Last edited by Endus; 2023-05-03 at 05:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It can depending on what they're negotiating for, which can include lower numbers of patients to oversee at once to allow them to dedicate more time to each one. But that's not the point, the point is they're negotiating for better working conditions and compensation.

It's not always about you (yes you) at the end of the day, and you still seem to absolutely hate working people.
    Most of what they seem to negotiate for I’ve seen really seems more for the select few including nurses much less patients which should be the priority.

Outside of their safety and living wage. Just as they aren’t obligated to patients as a human I’m not obligated to them either.

I believe in ownership and value. What is actually earned. When you do you can negotiate for yourself

Capitalism has turned everything into a business. And that has ever been problematic.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe in ownership and value. What is actually earned. When you do you can negotiate for yourself
    Ownership is in no way whatsoever "earned". That's an open lie pushed by propagandists, trying to sell workers on the idea that capitalists are somehow empirically "superior" people to the plebes who work for a living. It's classist horseshit based on nothing but prejudice and greed.

Most of what they seem to negotiate for I’ve seen really seems more for the select few including nurses much less patients which should be the priority.

Outside of their safety and living wage. Just as they aren’t obligated to patients as a human I’m not obligated to them either.

There seem to be a lot of incomplete thoughts/sentences that makes it difficult to actually know what it is you're trying.

Most of what who is negotiating for? Nurses negotiating for themselves? Yes that's how unions work?

What does "they aren't obligated to patients as a human" even mean?

The last sentence is literally a complete jumble of words that means nothing. Slow down. Complete a thought before typing it out.

At the very least, nurses almost always strike because medical providers are understaffed; part of the common demands is to expand hiring. That alone has tremendous value to patients.