Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    No, I'm happy having a Black Proto-Drake that I very rarely see anyone else with.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    in terms of end game achievements you can literally buy a boost for all forms of content, you can buy a full mythic clear and the mythic boss drop mount, you can buy rank 1 gladiator title if you're willing to spend enough, you can buy all the M+ carries you want, then there's still the little known thing where you can 'buy' a persons character off them and transfer all the mounts/titles etc attached to that character if there's a specific one you want, and while this is technically against the TOS of the game, there's no reason you can't come to some arrangement outside the game with someone and perform the various steps necessary for this to work (i will not list them here), voila, you have basically everything the game has to offer with enough of a capital investment, now if you wanted to get them all yourself for free, that's where the whole no life mentality comes from but don't kid yourself into thinking things are off limits because you missed the boat on certain things, with enough money (and gold to an extent) anything is possible in WoW.
    Sure, but who the hell was buying gladiator every WoW season. Also 1800 for elite set for every single class every season. Also was interested in playing and buying his achievs every single expac last 20 years. And never missed all these smaller things like Challenge Mode for every class in MoP. In 1.4 Blizzard removed some epic mounts, they were available what, first few months? Btw, there is unique mount for Scarab Lord. And so on, and so on...

It would have to be some extravagant person with a lot of money that is tracking all these stuff and still has urge to get everything. That person could exist, I doubt it's more than few people, even when we speak about stuff for single class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just w8 for trading post or twitch drops

not defending this behaviour but you clearly have never played the game at a consistent high level (or any sort of game where there's a form of ranking system in place) because for the very competitive top end of players they have that mentality, (not all but most), where they do 'insert great feat of gameplay here' before anyone else and therefore feel a sense of superiority over others who haven't got that achievement/mount/title/whatever, i used to be like that in my teens during wrath when i was raiding at a world top 100 level, it gave the old serotonin boost i was looking for back then from the surface level gratification i felt from being worshipped, after growing up i couldn't care less what stuff i have that was prestigious/rare others get, i have the ashes of a'lar from over 15 years ago now, i couldn't care less if some new player gets lucky and gets it now, but back then i would have been pissed off if they had got it years later doing a solo clear of the place for tmog or whatever, it's just one of those mindsets that exists in video games and is more prevalent the higher up the foodchain you go.
    Different people play for different reasons. I was in a US top 50 guild during early Cata. I still didn't care at all about lording my accomplishments over people. I play because playing is fun. At the time, playing at the very highest level was fun, so I tried to do so. When it stopped being fun, I stopped doing it.

As far as non-gaming goes, I'm a brazilian jiu jitsu black belt who has been competing since I started training ~12 years ago. I'm not a high level competitor, for a black belt, but I'm high level for a jiu jitsu athlete. Last year I placed 2nd at a major international tournament, while still at brown belt. I went to that tournament to test myself, so see how far I'd come and how far I could go in my last brown belt tournament. My sole motivation was to test myself. My reward was a $5 medal (I traveled 1/2 way across the country and spent over 1k total for travel/food/competition expenses) and the feeling of accomplishment I got from performing well at such a big tournament.

I wear my black belt with pride, but I don't wear it to lord over people and I celebrate other people receiving the same rank, even if they received it faster or seemingly through an easier route than I went.

For me, personally, achieving something is the reward, itself. Anything that comes along with it, like medals or belts in BJJ, or mounts/gear/titles/achievements in WoW, is just a bonus.

I'm not arguing that people don't play with the incentive you're describing. I've experienced those people both on this forum and in game (and in jiu jitsu) I just don't understand it as a motivation. It's always been foreign to me, whether I was in a very high level guild or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    So not much of a solution, rather than a “what I thought about while taking a shower” idea.

Not a solution at all.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2023-06-01 at 07:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    Sure, but who the hell was buying gladiator every WoW season. Also 1800 for elite set for every single class every season. Also was interested in playing and buying his achievs every single expac last 20 years. And never missed all these smaller things like Challenge Mode for every class in MoP. In 1.4 Blizzard removed some epic mounts, they were available what, first few months? Btw, there is unique mount for Scarab Lord. And so on, and so on...

It would have to be some extravagant person with a lot of money that is tracking all these stuff and still has urge to get everything. That person could exist, I doubt it's more than few people, even when we speak about stuff for single class.
    i won't name them, but i know someone who still plays to this day who was so petty and narcissistic that in MoP he paid to have the Scrubbusters raid team transfer a geared alt to the server he was playing on, join his guild at that time, and carry him to get server first cutting edge in heart of fear for his guild achievements because a bunch of old players who were in his guild in cataclysm broke off and ended up getting server first cutting edge on will of the emperor, which meant he couldn't get it for the guild achievements.

this same person also sold his main character prior to account wide achievements being a thing (like literally a few weeks before it was announced) so he lost the realm first yogg saron title he paid for and the realm first lich king achievement he server transferred and also paid for.

i know of another person who i also won't name who bought every raid boost back in cata and also paid for grand marshal in the then new rated battlegrounds.

these people exist and there's likely more of them now than ever before thanks to massively shrinking player population.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    Nope.

If you didn't get them when they were obtainable - you just don't deserve them. Simple as that.
    Oh look I spent money on a card game and got lucky after spending 300 dollars

Yup you worked hard for that mount.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirtyrock View Post
    Different people play for different reasons. I was in a US top 50 guild during early Cata. I still didn't care at all about lording my accomplishments over people. I play because playing is fun. At the time, playing at the very highest level was fun, so I tried to do so. When it stopped being fun, I stopped doing it.

As far as non-gaming goes, I'm a brazilian jiu jitsu black belt who has been competing since I started training ~12 years ago. I'm not a high level competitor, for a black belt, but I'm high level for a jiu jitsu athlete. Last year I placed 2nd at a major international tournament, while still at brown belt. I went to that tournament to test myself, so see how far I'd come and how far I could go in my last brown belt tournament. My sole motivation was to test myself. My reward was a $5 medal (I traveled 1/2 way across the country and spent over 1k total for travel/food/competition expenses) and the feeling of accomplishment I got from performing well at such a big tournament.

I wear my black belt with pride, but I don't wear it to lord over people and I celebrate other people receiving the same rank, even if they received it faster or seemingly through an easier route than I went.

For me, personally, achieving something is the reward, itself. Anything that comes along with it, like medals or belts in BJJ, or mounts/gear/titles/achievements in WoW, is just a bonus.

I'm not arguing that people don't play with the incentive you're describing. I've experienced those people both on this forum and in game (and in jiu jitsu) I just don't understand it as a motivation. It's always been foreign to me, whether I was in a very high level guild or not.
    like i said, it takes a specific set of circumstances for this mentality to develop, it also requires a specific type of person and group of people within that specific environment to produce that mentality and once seeded it's very difficult to overturn until such a time as the individual either outgrows that mentality through raw life experience, or is forced out of it through toxic positivity in a different group of people and a totally opposite environment.

you say that you do things for your own self accomplishment and gratification, that's great, no issues there it's a pretty solid mentality to have, but it's not one that everybody is familiar with, it takes time and some degree of mental coaching to embrace and live that way of thinking, intrinsically humans are hard wired to want to be competitive with each other as part of our primal instincts from eons ago, this manifests in the modern era as shit talking people we perceive as lesser than ourselves, and is facilitated by the games and online stuff we do.

Another solution in search of a problem that doesn't exist.

I get this is a video game, and things you achieve in it are pretty pointless, however, this thread and most of the replies in it, just reek of what is so wrong with society today. Society is full of a bunch of whiny, entitled, pussies, where if everyone isn't a winner, then life isn't worth living.

I used to say that these people are going to be in for a rude awakening when they grow up, but it appears that's just how life is now. People are catering to this mindset in the name of "mental health".
    Last edited by ablib; 2023-06-01 at 08:11 PM.

Nope.

If you didn't get them when they were obtainable - you just don't deserve them. Simple as that.
    Lol deserve lol. Imagine considering yourself deserving of something awarded for logging in or spending money, cause pretty much that's what was required for these returned items.
    Also imagine making a fuss over something that 99.9% of people who have them have completely forgot about them and the only thing they serve is a +1 on a counter.
    When will people understand that all of these returning crap are meaningless and useless anyway and are just used as bait to increase apparent popularity. Just think about it, how many people have you seen using these items 1 week after they've been reintroduced?
    Last edited by kranur; 2023-06-01 at 08:24 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    special snowflake syndrome has been a thing since the first days of the game releasing, except it was far more widespread and all encompassing when the game had an actual decent number of players playing, it's a paradox, everybody wants to have all the cool things while simultaneously making it impossible for newer people to get said cool things and basically gate keep their 'insert special snowflake object here' out of the hands of the peons.

- - - Updated - - -

while i haven't played wow in about 4 years now at this point, what about all the giga hard shit i did back before the wrath pre patch that doesn't have an achievement date, how will i ever get my special snowflake validation if the achievement doesn't have the ACTUAL DATE i achieved said achievement on it?
    What stuff did you do pre-wrath that does not have an achievement that is prestigious?
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

What's wrong with the current system of it's on the BMAH

Shit if someone wants to drop their life savings into tokens so they can pretend they were there for the gong ringing let them

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post

I get this is a video game, and things you achieve in it are pretty pointless, however, this thread and most of the replies in it, just reek of what is so wrong with society today. Society is full of a bunch of whiny, entitled, pussies, where if everyone isn't a winner, then life isn't worth living.

I used to say that these people are going to be in for a rude awakening when they grow up, but it appears that's just how life is now. People are catering to this mindset in the name of "mental health".
    Who's more damaged!? Entitled whiners that want access to everything, or grinches that only find the value in artificial scarcity!?

Genuinely tho, the idea that this exclusivity is tied to a sense of "accomplishment" and thus why it must remain exclusionary is way sadder than any pretense of entitlement.

These are digital collectives, scarcity is literally made up. The whole attitude of treating this issue as egregious as "stolen valor" is laughable. It's pixels, some other people would like them because they look cool, it's not their fault you wrapped your whole self worth on being one of the very few special boys that got them when they were available.

It will always be baffling when people like you use infantilizing arguments (whiny, entitled, pussies) when your whole arguments rests on being a whiny baby refusing to share saying mine mine mine mine.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Trust me nobody scours your achievement page, mount page, or collection page to see how/when you got stuff in this game. Nobody cares, and nobody has cared since probably WoTLK when things became far more accessible with both datamining and where to physically get things. There use to be mystique about the game when people had zero idea how to do things (you know everything now before a patch comes out), and this hasn't been the case for a long time.

Despite having some really rare things, it doesn't really detract from my experience if I see people with weapons you can no longer get, or mounts (old school rides, which I have a few of from the first year of Vanilla) that haven't been obtainable forever. Just let people get things, or have avenues for people to collect things. My LW still has frozen runes, some characters starter shirts from prior to Cata (which you can get now), and all patterns from the original Naxx 40 for LW as well (which they're adding back in the game, which I think is cool). Not that I want any of it, but it's sad that a few of the items they're bringing back just aren't on the loot table, especially in regards to weapons and shields.

Realistically, the only thing I think that should ever hold prestige in this game are gladiator mounts, and certain titles from PvE/PvP pinnacle content.

Removing shit in an MMO or making it limited time is dumb (from an outsiders perspective, who cares what other people are using). If they want to go back and make the Naxx drakes from WoTLK, the AQ40 scepter questline bug, or old school rides from Vanilla available, who cares??? I don't and I have that shit. If Blizzard was really smart they would retrofit their time walking, and allow you to obtain all of these old transmog options, mounts and pets within a relative range of the difficulty it took to get them back in the day.

Having people farm 1-2% mounts expansions after isn't really compelling gameplay. Having proper TW to where you are iLvL cap and the difficulty of the boss is ~roughly the difficulty of what it was (it doesn't have to be exact) but upping the chance to 100% if you participate this way would probably form a welcome community of people hunting these bosses, while still maintaining the status quo of farming it with low drop rates if you want to.

End of the day, just let people have what they want. Some of the stuff should be cautiously added, especially if there was some inherent difficulty to the item/mount in question. But unobtainable? Naw that just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    Or just... look at acheivements?
    Checking achievements is a lot more steps than glancing at the tooltip or transmog window.

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Lol deserve lol. Imagine considering yourself deserving of something awarded for logging in or spending money, cause pretty much that's what was required for these returned items.
    Also imagine making a fuss over something that 99.9% of people who have them have completely forgot about them and the only thing they serve is a +1 on a counter.
    When will people understand that all of these returning crap are meaningless and useless anyway and are just used as bait to increase apparent popularity. Just think about it, how many people have you seen using these items 1 week after they've been reintroduced?
    If they're so meaningless and useless then why would people care if they're reintroduced? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Oh look I spent money on a card game and got lucky after spending 300 dollars

Yup you worked hard for that mount.
    Spending 300$ for a mount is still more work than just "I want it and I deserve that mount because I just say so"

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post

Me thinks thou doth protest too much.

Your post reeks of ableism and insecurity. If you care more about the reward from an accomplishment than the actual accomplishment in a VIDEO GAME where there's zero cost for everyone being a "winner" (winner in the concept that they get the reward, not that they are declared the winner) then you're the one who is being whiny and entitled.

Imagine, you go to a generic sports event. The winners of the event get a big trophy/medal/whatever and get celebrated and everyone knows who won. Then there are a bunch of trophys/medals/whatever that are going to go into the trash because the event organizer bought too many. So they decide to sell them/distribute them/otherwise give them to non winners. How is the winner hurt by this? Didn't they still win the event? Doesn't their reward MEAN more than those who got it the other way? Does it only have prestige if someone else doesn't have it? My opinion on this situation would be different if there was only ONE trophy/medal/whatever, because then the winner would actually be deprived of the tangible reward if it was given to non winners. But when the reward is effectively infinite in quantity, there's literally no harm here except to broflake egos.

That's a zero sum mentality and it's incredibly fragile. If you build your self-worth/self-esteem around having better tangible rewards than other people, whether in your professional life, your hobbies, or whatever, you're setting yourself up for always needing to keep up with the Joneses. No thanks, I don't need that. I think a lot of rewards from prior seasons/achievements/raids are pretty freaking neat looking. I'd love to have them just because it's fun to wear different mogs and ride different mounts.

I got green fire back when it was current. Is my achievement of doing something that was pretty hard at the time lessened by the fact that people can still get it now? No, I enjoyed the process and the feeling of getting it when it was as hard as it was ever going to be.

I've seen a lot more toxicity from players who want to keep the exclusivity than players who are on the side of "Hey, these things look cool, it'd be nice for my character to eventually have access to these cool looking things." I haven't seen much, if any, posts in this thread saying "Everyone DESERVES these items".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schintus View Post
    No, I'm happy having a Black Proto-Drake that I very rarely see anyone else with.
    and when Blizzard opens Classic to Retail transfers you'll see a fuckton more Plagued and Black Protos.

Even more so if Blizzard decides to do the right thing on Retail and give it to people that got the T7 Meta Achievements
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Checking achievements is a lot more steps than glancing at the tooltip or transmog window.
    There is absolutely no way they will give Grandmaster transmog to people WHO did not no life the extreme effort that acheivement took. Which is absolutely correct!

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope.

Yep, people telling you that it's just pixel have no clue why people play MMORPG's but hey, people on this forum prefer it easy and obtainable for any plep.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?