Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Ah, I see many people on here, and the media at large, are falling for the "just trust me, bro" speel from Blizzard.

Sorry, Blizzard, but until you're willing to offer up unit sales, you're just talking out your arse.

So.... still no DF numbers?
    Kek

Quote Originally Posted by TbouncerT View Post
    Hey, 1 less toxic person not playing the game?! I'll take it!

If only that would really help. but you do you and I will do me. Play On.

I would actually believe it, nobody left playing WoW, ppl needed something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    So.... still no DF numbers?
    Kek
    they already said that dragonflight has sold less than shadowlands. they're never gonna give you to exact number because that would be bad pr

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli85 View Post
    Ah, I see many people on here, and the media at large, are falling for the "just trust me, bro" speel from Blizzard.

Sorry, Blizzard, but until you're willing to offer up unit sales, you're just talking out your arse.
    So you would believe Blizzard if they speak about specific number, but think they are lying when they say that it's their biggest sale (and you can easily check previous record).

Ok, I'll take that infraction - how people can be THAT stupid? xD

Quote Originally Posted by Zebir95 View Post
    they already said that dragonflight has sold less than shadowlands. they're never gonna give you to exact number because that would be bad pr
    What if they have new policy to not show exact numbers? You could make argument they are hiding DF numbers since they were lower that SL, but we still don't know if they wre lower than usual 3.3M or not. But now, their biggest game?
    Last edited by Dracullus; 2023-06-06 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzilla View Post
    Shame to see how people fooled by sellout marketing and buying this trash. Worst Diablo game. Maybe Immoral only can beat it.
    $20 this guy was bitching to the Target Cashier while buying 3 copies of the PS5 version

Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    I would actually believe it, nobody left playing WoW, ppl needed something to do.
    There are thousands of games to play idk why people act like they have to play Blizzard only games.

Hmmm I think I missed that.

Well.. was to be expected.

Honestly, I got DF as gift. I'm not sure I'd buy it myself.

They need to get rid of woke-infestation asap. It's killing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    Fastest selling with psychological bait like early access works on every addict. kekw
    There's always some excuse to be negative

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    What if they have new policy to not show exact numbers? You could make argument they are hiding DF numbers since they were lower that SL, but we still don't know if they wre lower than usual 3.3M or not. But now, their biggest game?
    They only hide the numbers if a game is doing "bad". Rest assured they're going to brag as much as they can once diablo iv reaches a milestone like 10m copies sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Palapop View Post
    They need to get rid of woke-infestation asap. It's killing the game.
    Not going to happen anytime soon. While blizzard loves its forced inclusivity, the wow team in particular is filled with woke people. No other blizzard game is as woke as wow.

Can't wait for it to die in a month and I can watch Twitch again

Quote Originally Posted by Toby451 View Post
    There are thousands of games to play idk why people act like they have to play Blizzard only games.

People just pissed off that the whole wow community isn't throwing themselves like a prostitute at D4. Sometimes the truth hurts. And some people on these forums hate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    There's always some excuse to be negative
    Lets be real. They use every single aspect of bait and false marketing like they care. All that matters are numbers. Their sold copies dont represent the quality. Its ok for what it is, but no masterpiece what few are saying

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    Lets be real. They use every single aspect of bait and false marketing like they care. All that matters are numbers. Their sold copies dont represent the quality. Its ok for what it is, but no masterpiece what few are saying
    All that matters is the numbers, yet the sold numbers don't matter?

Like I said, anything to be negative. The game is doing great. That's all there is to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I would think it needs to beat The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom...sold 10 million in 3 days.
    Why in the world is that the comparison? They're not remotely similar games nor do they have remotely similar audiences, unless I'm much mistaken.

- - - Updated - - -

all this marketing almost made me fall for the fomo. luckily i haven't bought the game

for what i can tell tho, this game will be the most controversial diablo of all times. there are some choices like the world scaling that are getting mixed reception. i wonder what's going to be the state of the game 6 months from now
    I have a hard time believing anything would be more controversial than the RMAH at D3 launch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    All that matters is the numbers, yet the sold numbers don't matter?

Like I said, anything to be negative. The game is doing great. That's all there is to it.
    I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who seem to go around hoping for Blizzard and all their games to fail. It's not enough to not play them, they feel the need to actively wish for the game's to fail.

I have zero interest in playing the new Zelda game, but I have no emotional investment in seeing it fail. Just a weird headspace to be in.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    I'd hazard a guess... that they won't report the exact sales. Part of the reason is that you don't even have to pay money to buy the game, as I (like I'm sure many other people did) used WoW gold to transfer to their B.net balance to buy the game... especially if there's a decline in people wanting to play WoW, the only sensible thing to do before you quit is liquidate all your gold to B.net balance.
    In that case, I would imagine that the most logical option would be to not bring up the shift in WoW subs that came as a result of D4's launch, as they haven't really done for several years now.

Another reason is that they didn't mention it here: when it comes to PR statements, you always put everything in the best positive light... so while the numbers they're touting may seem impressive, that's exactly why they were chose as they seem impressive regardless of what they actually mean.

If the unit sales were extremely impressive, they'd report them. Streaming services do the exact same thing that was done with this press release, where they'll do things like tout "highest ranking series release ever based upon minutes watched!!"... but everything behind the scenes is done to inflate the numbers (such as dropping the multiple episodes or an entire series at once, starting the series with really long episodes, etc.) while not giving an accurate picture of what's going on. That's why touting day 1 game sales that involve months of preorders is equivalent to movie studios trying to one-up each other with 'largest opening box office revenue evar!', but that weekend opening starts earlier and earlier while expanding the the number of theaters/screens alongside increasing prices while not adjusting their revenue for inflation... once you factor these things into the equation, it's easy to see these puffed up statements are just that: puffed up statements.
    And this is entirely plausible, because you're correct on the PR statement thing. Pretty much this entire thing was basically fluff, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some degree of smoke and mirrors if they don't bring up more concrete numbers come the earnings call. Had they not specified both console and PC presales records were broken, I'd be more skeptical. I'm willing to give at least some degree of benefit of the doubt for the time, though.

That being said, I don't think anyone doubted that D4 would at the very minimum have a really good launch... the question is whether it'll have staying power as it's meant to last a long time. The game is currently brand new for most people, and the campaign is fairly lengthy, so it's not surprising that people are playing for a large amount time. However, if people get bored with the game, don't like the game, or run out of things to do, participation will drop. It's normal for that to happen, but the scale/severity of that drop-off as well as returning players for seasons/expansions will really determine if the game is successful or not
    This is also a very good point. Blizz is very much setting it up to be a "Forever game", so keeping at least a decent portion of the playerbase engaged once the novelty wears off will be key. Last thing they need is a Multiversus situation, where they lose almost their entire active base within a year. I can't possibly imagine it getting that bad, though, even in a worst case scenario. For now, though, I'll consider the current situation with D4 to be a win for Blizz, at a time where they kinda needed one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Played this at Blizzcon and immediately knew it would be trash, its essentially just reskinned d3 and that's not saying much. All those years waiting just to be disappointed again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinchi Migi View Post
    People just pissed off that the whole wow community isn't throwing themselves like a prostitute at D4. Sometimes the truth hurts. And some people on these forums hate that.
    I'm more interested in these prostitutes that pay you for a service. Where are they? TELL ME!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Are we getting a repeat of "The sales are high because flies like shit argument"

Cause MAN it's hilarious that we not only got that again but the fact the expansion that statement was said in is the current classic