Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Am I the only one who thinks that Starcraft....

Would be the perfect IP to turn into a Helldivers like game? I mean... I can't be the only one who thinks it right?

I mean StarCraft in general is loosely based on Starship Trooper and Robert Heinleins books....

So your just copying a copy at this point
    3 Major Rules of World of Warcraft Players:
    1. No one on earth wants to play World of Warcraft less than other World of Warcraft players.
    2. The desire to win>The desire for anything else in World of Warcraft. NO EXCEPTIONS
    3. Efficiency will be king no matter how you think it will improve the game.

Well, I mean adding a similar coop PVE gamemode to Overwatch for sure would not be the worst they could do. Adding it free of charge to everyone owning it could breath some much needed fresh air into the game and be a partial sorry for the PVE content they failed to deliver.

Helldivers is an extraction shooter. Extraction shooters are not a new concept. It has been around since Left4Dead (I'm not aware of earlier examples).

The reason why Helldivers is so good is not because of the IP, which really is just a hodge podge of concepts drawn from Warhammer 40K, HALO and Starship Troopers but because it is a good game with great gameplay, great design, great community tools run by a company that isn't trying to sell you 20$ skins and 69.99 limited time Battle Passes.

Blizzard is currently incapable of making a game like this, doesn't matter in which IP.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    by a company that isn't trying to sell you 20$ skins and 69.99 limited time Battle Passes.
    I like how you try to put arbitrary price points on it to be disingenuous because Helldivers 2 is, in fact selling skins and a battle pass.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbyfists View Post
    Would be the perfect IP to turn into a Helldivers like game? I mean... I can't be the only one who thinks it right?
    They should have made a Warhammer 40K game. They already had the fascist satire, the tyranids and the necrons.

Helldivers 2 in fact it's pretty much a Warhammer 40K game with a different skin.

It would be cool, but challenging to add every race. Naturally one would assume Terrans are the ones wacking zergs, but how would you implement playing zerg/protoss against terran? Skydiving right into orbit as a zergling and wack terran troops would be fun though. Or as a stalker pewpew terran/zerg.

10+ Year Old Account
    When was last time Blizzard put the amount of passion into a game that Arrowhead does Helldivers? You'd end up with another FOTM live action game.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Or: How about not wishing for Blizzard to desecrate their last remaining IP that they have yet to ruin by blindly chasing trends

If you like Helldivers, play Helldivers. Blizzard won't—and can't—deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I like how you try to put arbitrary price points on it to be disingenuous because Helldivers 2 is, in fact selling skins and a battle pass.
    The difference is that the pricing is not abusive and their battlepasses are not time gated. Their entire monetization structure is defined by "Not abusive and not manipulative".

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Well, I mean adding a similar coop PVE gamemode to Overwatch for sure would not be the worst they could do. Adding it free of charge to everyone owning it could breath some much needed fresh air into the game and be a partial sorry for the PVE content they failed to deliver.
    Overwatch would never be good because the heroes are boring for PVE purpose. Way too many dps heroes that rely on close range combat, due to their fall off range and dmg type. Most if not all tank heroes are meant to take dmg while doing dps which is just stupid from pve standpoint, why would you take tank when dps can do everything better. If you want to give tank heroes purpose then you have to do braindead NPC's that chase and want to shoot just one person that keeps hitting them at close range.

Overwatch PVE would have never worked in a way that people think it could.

A competent developer would absolutely be able to make an amazing Starcraft third-person shooter.

Blizzard is not that developer. Ten or fifteen years ago, sure. Now, no.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    A competent developer would absolutely be able to make an amazing Starcraft third-person shooter.

Blizzard is not that developer. Ten or fifteen years ago, sure. Now, no.
    Oh but Blizzard CAN do that. It's just that Blizzard won't make any games that they can't monetize with expensive mtx and/or competitive tournaments of some kind to sell ad space, and such a game doesn't sound like it would accommodate either, so Blizzard don't care.

Plus you can also earn the currency bought with rl cash by playing the game shockingly...

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    The difference is that the pricing is not abusive
    This is just you being bias more than anything. You are not the moral compass on what is abusive or not, and tbh blizzard isn't even close to the abusive monetization of gaming right now(outside of diablo immortal, we can count that one if you want). If blizzard released a game with the exact same price structure of HD2 you would be here calling them greedy. I mean OW2 is fucking f2p, doesn't even have a $40 entry price like HD2 so what the fuck are you talking about again? lol. OW2 is shit and I'm not saying otherwise for the record just pointing out this hilarious bias you have right now simply because you like the game. If you didn't like HD2 you would be shitting on it's monetization all the same.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2024-03-22 at 06:49 PM.

I actually thought that it'd be a good fit too

I wouldn't be surprised if it's in some kind of incubator state at Blizzard right now or some time in the next 6 months

I'm not really sure how they'd improve upon it though.

I feel like they'd just make a dumbed down version and add their twitchy, ability spam gameplay to it and litter it with cash shop crap

If they somehow made the battles bigger and added stuff like flying then I think that'd be novel enough to warrant a game with that formula.
    Last edited by Mojo03; 2024-03-22 at 07:03 PM.

Starcraft would make a great game in more genres ... A 3rd person rpg would be awesome.
    Blizzard does not have the talent nor are they willing to do something that is not a live service first and a game second.

Helldiver 2 mainly works because of its theme and stratagem gameplay, many similar games don't last long or keep a playerbase, at some point helldivers 2 players may start moving on to something else if the devs don't keep adding things to mix things up, helldivers 2 is still in the honeymoon phase of the game.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

What happened to the Starship Troopers shooter? Is it dead already?

This is just you being bias more than anything. You are not the moral compass on what is abusive or not, and tbh blizzard isn't even close to the abusive monetization of gaming right now(outside of diablo immortal, we can count that one if you want). If blizzard released a game with the exact same price structure of HD2 you would be here calling them greedy. I mean OW2 is fucking f2p, doesn't even have a $40 entry price like HD2 so what the fuck are you talking about again? lol. OW2 is shit and I'm not saying otherwise for the record just pointing out this hilarious bias you have right now simply because you like the game. If you didn't like HD2 you would be shitting on it's monetization all the same.
    My guy. You don't need to gargle Blizzard's balls so hard, you might end up choking on them.

While Blizzard hasn't quite yet stooped to full CoD levels of bullshittery, they are barely a single inch away from it. But it's not just the abusive pricing and money grabbing, it's also the fact that they have been churning out abusively priced shit products one after the other. The last marginally decent thing they've done is unironically HearthStone and the WoW Classic editions. Every other thing has either been expensive trash or just trash.

The difference outside monetization between OW and HD is that Helldivers is actually a good game.