Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Now that I've got everyone's attention, can someone please answer me this question:

I've got a D3 Guest Pass account that's locked to the NA region. I live in the EU region though, and the copy of D3 I've got today is EU as well, of course. Am I safe to upgrade the NA Guest Pass account with my EU key? Or should I better create a new one altogether?

When will the be back up?
    | Main RP Character:
    Nidal Shadowdance |
    | While Forum RP'ing:
    Italics = What he's doing currently.
    Non-italics with Quotes = Talking
    Non-Italics without Quotes = Thinking |

Deleted
    I was able to log in quite easily on my free account but with B-net down, I can't renew my gametime. :[

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by layn01 View Post
    It's a DNS problem. Basically, your computer can't resolve any of Blizzard's domain names to IP addresses.

Blizzard's DNS servers for all their domains are hosted at cerf-d0t-net, which appears to be some kind of corporate AT&T hosting provider.

DNSValidation-d0t-com reports that battle-d0t-net DNS is served by ns-east-d0t-cerf-d0t-net and ns-west-d0t-cerf-d0t-net, both of which are unreachable.

Similarly, a query on cerf-d0t-net itself shows the same thing. Curiously, AT&T's domain is served via DNS hosts on attdns-d0t-com, so that's fine.

Needless to say, I'm sure Blizzard is kicking up a shitstorm about this right now. It's entirely possible that these DNS servers could be getting DDOSed, but you'd think they'd be fairly robust. To be entirely unavailable means something likely broke in a colossal way.

(Sorry - Newb poster. Can't link actual URLs or put actual hostnames in the post )

i was thinking of a DDOS too and i am worried if that is true, worried for the sake of whoevers attacking..that is.

oh well i guess i gotta work.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a DNS problem. Basically, your computer can't resolve any of Blizzard's domain names to IP addresses.

Blizzard's DNS servers for all their domains are hosted at cerf-d0t-net, which appears to be some kind of corporate AT&T hosting provider.

DNSValidation-d0t-com reports that battle-d0t-net DNS is served by ns-east-d0t-cerf-d0t-net and ns-west-d0t-cerf-d0t-net, both of which are unreachable.

Similarly, a query on cerf-d0t-net itself shows the same thing. Curiously, AT&T's domain is served via DNS hosts on attdns-d0t-com, so that's fine.

Needless to say, I'm sure Blizzard is kicking up a shitstorm about this right now. It's entirely possible that these DNS servers could be getting DDOSed, but you'd think they'd be fairly robust. To be entirely unavailable means something likely broke in a colossal way.

(Sorry - Newb poster. Can't link actual URLs or put actual hostnames in the post )

http://www.cerf.net/about/Bbone-map.html

thats there site. Its some sort of sister company of ATT yes. And those are also down, i think the dns provider just went sky high.

damnit xD 10char

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletCrusader12 View Post
    When will the be back up?
    How long is a piece of string? I'm sure Blizzard know -exactly- what the problem is (DNS is busted), it's just now a question of getting the right people from their hosting provider on the phone, getting a status update, figuring out what happened, why it happened, and how to get it back up and running ASAP.

Could be 2 minutes, could be 2 hours... probably will be faster than 2 days

maybe they exploded... none of the bliz sites are loading.. cant log into any bliz games.... and I had a few mins to mess around on the comp too... dang it

How long is a piece of string? I'm sure Blizzard know -exactly- what the problem is (DNS is busted), it's just now a question of getting the right people from their hosting provider on the phone, getting a status update, figuring out what happened, why it happened, and how to get it back up and running ASAP.

Yup... it's definitely not your run of the mill server issue... whatever transpired with their DNS host has been going long enough for DNS cache entries to start expiring, which is probably why some of you can log into certain things while others cannot. I can only imagine the shitstorm going on right now.

10+ Year Old Account

Blizzard is an extremely important customer to AT&T and i think blizzard is already on the phone right now :P and seeing how important they are for AT&T i dont think two days down time would be good for a refresh of their contract next year :P

I'm really surprised BlizzardCS on Twitter hasn't posted anything. Lots of people exploding over there right now :P

Yeah...I was wondering about this because the WoW website won't even load. I was starting to think maybe my work added it to the list of sites we can't access. lol Good to know it's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Noix View Post
    wounder if bliz posted anything about it yet.
    I checked the Blizzard twitter page (can't link to it yet, not enough posts), nothing so far.

I also can't log in to WoW or access the battlenet site.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm really surprised BlizzardCS on Twitter hasn't posted anything. Lots of people exploding over there right now :P
    Problem is blizzardCS is US .. and while i life in the EU its now 7 am there. So most havnt started work yet, wouldnt be supprised to see an update within the hour.

Those of you who know how to edit their hosts file.... Put this in, launch from WoW.exe (don't go through the launcher), and be happy.
    12.129.206.130 us.logon.battle.net

And for you EU people...
    213.248.127.130 eu.logon.battle.net

If you don't know.....Google is your friend

Quote Originally Posted by Liessa View Post
    And IP addresses for Diablo 3:
    80.239.208.193 eu.actual.battle.net
    12.130.244.193 us.actual.battle.net
    Last edited by seryniti; 2012-05-18 at 02:48 PM.

I was kinda hoping California fell off the face of the earth, but I don't think we are that lucky!

This is what happens when you don't feed the server hamsters

10+ Year Old Account
    Advice: If you are logged in STAY LOGGED IN!!! It's not dc-ing people at the moment, but you can not login if you log out. So stay on that game and KILL THINGS!!!

Things that are currently "offline" (unless you are currently logged in):

WoW
    Diablo 3
    All Battle.net websites

||My Work || Sig by the awesome Soko! ||

Nethaera ‏-
    Thanks for the information. I'll notify some folks.

(https://twitter.com/#!/Nethaera)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runevalkyrie View Post
    this is what happens when you don't feed the server hamsters
    feed all the hamsters!