Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The idea that the human race spent, and still spends an insane amount of time and effort to feed itself and just eat enough to keep from starving for tens of thousands of years, and then in the last 50 we're desperately trying to combat the effects of overeating would make most of our ancestors hide in a closet and cry.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    Absolutely and strongly agree. Swimming is my go to form of cardio as well and I do it twice a week for 30-40 mins of alternating fast and slow laps. Biggest plus is that it's great fun and my joints will still be relatively intact in my elder years.
    Cardio is actually counter productive to fat loss believe it or not, it causes your body to store all excess calories as fat because it thinks you're starving to death. When im cutting from a bulking cycle, like I am right now, I just increase intensity in my workout and cut out direct carbs from my diet. Once I get to a certain threshold, like 10% body fat, I hit cardio decently hard because i'm trying to dry out, and get down to 7-8% body fat, but that's borderline starving and dehydrating myself while going for runs lol.

My solution to this problem? Just do the stair master, that thing is a beast workout, swimming is pretty good though. My favorite thing is hiking and paddle boarding, intensity is key.

Quote Originally Posted by peaky blinder View Post
    spot on mate.
    i started a diet last week.
    lost 4lb in a week, just by eating less & cutting out the crap.
    im hoping to have lost 2 stone by may.
    That's mostly fluids your body lost which is easy and takes a few weeks depending on your weight.

I can eat crap once a week and still lose so that much weight within a week but the whole losing weight starts begins after losing that.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Why is it that you people are utterly incapable of discussing a public health issue without putting everything down to 'lack of moral virtue'.

I'd rather someone be fat than a cunt who insists anyone who does not meet their standards is worthless.
    1) Didn't say anyones worthless, however if you're never willing to change your lifestyle, why would anything in your life change
    2) Don't look for a miracle overnight fix all
    3) Why do you always jump to conclusions in every thread, like everyone is personally attacking you? I think you're projecting a feeling of no self worth
    4) I have nothing but RESPECT for people I see changing their life for the better, but if you don't care, I don't care

Moral of the story, its your life, live it like you want to, but dont complain when you hate yourself

Why is it that you people are utterly incapable of discussing a public health issue without putting everything down to 'lack of moral virtue'.

I'd rather someone be fat than a cunt who insists anyone who does not meet their standards is worthless.
    Because moral justice warriors think that they are always buffed and everybody else is fat.

Alex Jones stripped down once to show his ''buffed'' body....if you can follow that stupid line of thought you know why this guy is a asshole.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    That's mostly fluids your body lost which is easy and takes a few weeks depending on your weight.

I can eat crap once a week and still lose so that much weight within a week but the whole losing weight starts begins after losing that.
    Plus inflammation and bloating, when you take the toxins out of your body, it can start to properly heal itself. When people say "wow, i lost 3 inches in 2 weeks", they were always that skinny, but their body has been in a constantly state of damage control due to poor dieting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    1) Didn't say anyones worthless, however if you're never willing to change your lifestyle, why would anything in your life change
    2) Don't look for a miracle overnight fix all
    3) Why do you always jump to conclusions in every thread, like everyone is personally attacking you? I think you're projecting a feeling of no self worth
    4) I have nothing but RESPECT for people I see changing their life for the better, but if you don't care, I don't care

Moral of the story, its your life, live it like you want to, but dont complain when you hate yourself
    "The problem is, most people cant be bothered to put in the effort, because going out and getting turnt up is the most important thing in life"

=

"Fat people are lazy and/or ignorant"
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Because moral justice warriors think that they are always buffed and everybody else is fat.

Alex Jones stripped down once to show his ''buffed'' body....if you can follow that stupid line of thought you know why this guy is a asshole.
    Yeah im the asshole, not the people begging for a miracal fix all my problems pill lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

"The problem is, most people cant be bothered to put in the effort, because going out and getting turnt up is the most important thing in life"

=

"Fat people are lazy and/or ignorant"
    Lmao, wow, that's reaching, do you know the correlation between obesity and alcohol? Or diabetes? Or suicide and depression? its all linked to going out and getting up. Is it fun in your early 20s? Sure, but I have friends who are now train wrecks, in their late 20s and early 30s, who still go out to the club 3-4 nights a week and complain that their life is falling apart.

"why cant i lose weight", come to the gym with me! well find an alternative to going to the club! "noooo, i need to party".....

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah im the asshole, not the people begging for a miracal fix all my problems pill lmao.
    How about we erase the stigma associated with getting pharmacological treatment for a given condition instead?

Because a lot of these anti-fat arguments are exactly the same as the arguments used against people suffering from anxiety and depression. "Stop begging for miracal (sic) fix all my problem pills and just toughen up, downer"

That we might be able to find a medicine to help treat obesity and people feel the need to march into the thread and criticise it because "just go and exercise" shows that it is not, in fact, concern for a public health issue - it's a matter of shaming people so that you can feel superior.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    How about we erase the stigma associated with getting pharmacological treatment for a given condition instead?

Because a lot of these anti-fat arguments are exactly the same as the arguments used against people suffering from anxiety and depression. "Stop begging for miracal (sic) fix all my problem pills and just toughen up, downer"

That we might be able to find a medicine to help treat obesity and people feel the need to march into the thread and criticise it because "just go and exercise" shows that it is not, in fact, concern for a public health issue - it's a matter of shaming people so that you can feel superior.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...nts-depression

Physical activity is something humans are meant to do, I have absolutely no problem with people who have legitimate psychological issues seeking mental health solutions, but the truth is most people who are depressed, are lacking in physical activity. The artical I linked is a good read, and there are many like it, when I was a fat teenager I was drugged up on zoloft, ritalin, and colonapin, none of these helped me. What did help me? Getting physically fit, playing sports, and living my life...

Do I still have time for video games? yeah absolutely, its a fun hobby I enjoy, but I also make sure I hit the gym at least 6 days a week, and go out and be active.

10+ Year Old Account

Physical activity is something humans are meant to do, I have absolutely no problem with people who have legitimate psychological issues seeking mental health solutions, but the truth is most people who are depressed, are lacking in physical activity. The artical I linked is a good read, and there are many like it, when I was a fat teenager I was drugged up on zoloft, ritalin, and colonapin, none of these helped me. What did help me? Getting physically fit, playing sports, and living my life...

Do I still have time for video games? yeah absolutely, its a fun hobby I enjoy, but I also make sure I hit the gym at least 6 days a week, and go out and be active.
    Nobody is arguing against the virtues of exercise. What we are arguing against is assholes insisting that medicinal treatments should not be made available because they prefer having easy targets to pass judgment on.

*shrugs*
    There's no magic pill to see here.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Nobody is arguing against the virtues of exercise. What we are arguing against is assholes insisting that medicinal treatments should not be made available because they prefer having easy targets to pass judgment on.
    Did I say this pill shouldn't exist? No, but what shouldn't exist are people saying "LULZ now I can eat whatever the fuck I want and still be skinny huehuehue". How do you not find a problem with that? In our society today, people would rather take,w hat I would assume is an extremely heavy drug, or have their stomach cut in half, rather than change their eating habits? And, on top of that, if someone gets to the point where theyre so heavy they can longer care for themselves, they need friends and family to take of them, and society to pay their medical bills? Thats not a problem in your eyes, because thats a pretty damn big issue in my eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did I say this pill shouldn't exist? No, but what shouldn't exist are people saying "LULZ now I can eat whatever the fuck I want and still be skinny huehuehue". How do you not find a problem with that? In our society today, people would rather take,w hat I would assume is an extremely heavy drug, or have their stomach cut in half, rather than change their eating habits? And, on top of that, if someone gets to the point where theyre so heavy they can longer care for themselves, they need friends and family to take of them, and society to pay their medical bills? Thats not a problem in your eyes, because thats a pretty damn big issue in my eyes.
    Man, if only I had taken the time to point out that obesity is a public health issue.

Oh, wait. I did. Just like I'm going to point out that illiteracy is apparently still an issue.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Man, if only I had taken the time to point out that obesity is a public health issue.

Oh, wait. I did. Just like I'm going to point out that illiteracy is apparently still an issue.
    Sorry I dont proof read, and run my 30 second replies by an editor on MMO-C

Sorry I dont proof read, and run my 30 second replies by an editor on MMO-C
    Proof reading your own post wouldn't help you comprehend his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Do you have children? Do you have responsibilities other then your own self to take care of?
    I have two, and work full time, and still work out 4-5 times a week. Have a valid point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Eating less is usually the solution to loosing weight, but as a guy who has spent A LOT of time in the gym and is quite heavy, it's a lot harder than some people make it out to be :P.
    I've gone up and down and up and down over the years, and it's never easy.
    The best way I can describe it is - If you are an alcoholic, and you decide to go off it, you can just stop drinking and try your best.
    But when it comes to food, I can't just stop eating, right? I have to eat, which makes controlling it hard since you are tempted pretty much at any time.

There are a great many things that humans are meant to do that we circumvent with medication. Very few of them draw any stigma at all; mental health and weight loss are very nearly the only ones.

People who struggle with weight loss aren't doing it by choice. Being fat is horrible. It is so utterly irrational to assume that people who are obese are obese by choice that it boggles the mind.

Hot tip: obese people have a legitimate psychological issue; that's what allows them to ignore all the biological imperatives that many or most people have that keep them at a healthy weight. The fact that you were able to "get physically fit, play sport, and live your life" means you are not in the category of people who cannot overcome those problems without outside help. If you actually believe that everyone can, obtuse is the nicest word that can be used to describe you.

The fact that excersize and depression are intrinsically linked has been known for decades. Until someone invents a tablet that allows people the willpower to overcome what are clearly wrong physiological choices that they make anyway, the information helps very few people (such as yourself). For some people, antidepressants allow them that willpower to overcome a depressive state and get active. For others, they don't - for those people, bariatric surgery has become the staple but has yet to overcome many long term issues with success rates. If and when someone developes a pill that allows people to overcome bad eating habits, it will likely be as effective as antidepressents are for depression. They won't work for everyone, but they will work for many.

How anyone could consider this a bad thing is absolutely beyond me. If your goal is actually to see people get more healthy, then it should be as desirable as a cure for cancer; it's far more destructive to society as a whole. However, if it is the case (as it is for the vast majority of people in threads like these) that you just want to hold moral superiority over people, then its simply easier to pretend that it isn't a problem and that people are just lazy, regardless of how utterly stupid that is given the evidence available. Thus; weightloss and weightloss medication will remain stigmatized until medications actually start showing scientifically-backed results, as was the case with depression and antidepressants.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2018-01-18 at 03:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OTG View Post
    Lol I got an even better anti-obesity drug: eat less.

Do I get some kind of prize now? This is how it works right?
    /thread /10chars

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    I have two, and work full time, and still work out 4-5 times a week. Have a valid point?
    How can you workout, you cant have any freetime if youre a poster on an internet forum
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"