How do I properly use a Vulnerable Tracker?

Hey guys,

Recently returned to my hunter after a long break and I'm finding some difficulty using a vulnerable tracker, notably the Asakawa Vulnerable Tracker v2.

I don't really understand how it works. How do I know if the aimed shots I cast will fit into the vulnerability window? I don't get the vertical white lines as well, I'm probably an idiot but i'm super confused. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Deleted
    preferred to keep my eyes on the raid instead of a vul. bar.
    I know that i can cast 3 shot in a row in a vul window.

Quote Originally Posted by Gachie View Post
    Hey guys,

Recently returned to my hunter after a long break and I'm finding some difficulty using a vulnerable tracker, notably the Asakawa Vulnerable Tracker v2.

I don't really understand how it works. How do I know if the aimed shots I cast will fit into the vulnerability window? I don't get the vertical white lines as well, I'm probably an idiot but i'm super confused. If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.
    The tracker is an aid for getting your aimed shots off on time and in the vuln window.

The number at the front shows the amount of aimed shots you can still cast during this vulnerability window. If the number says 4 you could (if you had infinite focus) get 4 aimed shots off before the vulnerability debuff drops.

The lines show you the cast time for aimed shot, from one line to the next is the exact time needed for 1 aimed shot. So basically if you just passed the final white line, and the counter goes to 0; there is no use in trying to cast an aimed shot as it will fall outside of the vulnerability window, better off casting arcane shot and get a new vulnerable up.

When you do your general rotation and you're standing perfectly still, you generally don't need the addon as much. MM work with a quasi-rotation where you (depending a bit on your haste level) do [Marked -> Arcane -> Aimed -> Aimed] or [Windburst->Arcane->Arcane->Aimed->Aimed]

However the tracker becomes a lot more useful when you have to move around or maybe messed up or something. As you can quickly judge:
    - Where you are in your vulnerability window
    - How many aimed shots you can still cast before it ends
    - Combined with your current focus find the best course of action for your next few casts.

E.g. say I just had to move a bunch. My tracker shows barely able to cast 2 more aimed shots and I have 50 focus remaining. I know I won't make 2 aimed shot casts anyway with that little focus, but I do still have some time. So a good course of action is arcane -> Aimed.
    Say that I can only cast 1 more aimed shot as judged by the tracker, maybe I want to cast Aimed -> Arcane instead.

Hiya I can play mm pretty well and i use two WA's for my gameplay.

One is a Focus bar that depletes as my focus does, and has vertical white lines splitting the bar into sections of aimed shot costs so i have a easy visualization of how much focus i need for each aimed.

And right above/below that i'd have a vulnerable tracker.

This one only appears once i've applied vulnerable to my current target, Then the bar will start depleting down as the debuff times out and the white vertical lines will separate the bar into how many aimed shot casts i can get in before the vulnerable window is closed. Handy when you're constantly swapping between sets and haste %'s.

These are readily available all you have to do is just goto https://wago.io/ and filter it for vulnerable or focus bars, im pretty sure i just leached these two out of different hunter sets of WA's and deleted the rest.

Sure you don't need them to play well but it does make it a hell of a lot easier.
    Last edited by Angrox; 2018-01-08 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    It's pretty easy to do both.

The tracker should take travel time into account. Essentially, if the white bar is there, it'll hit within the vuln window. Not sure why you're not getting the white lines. You might have messed something up with the code.
    Considering travel time isn't relevant, I don't see why it would. As long as you finish the cast when vulnerable is up on the enemy, it'll get hit by a buffed aimed shot - even if it has 2 seconds of traveltime like on Helya.

It's easily verifiable as well - just go max distance of a dummy, get a lock and load proc, and fire off an instant aimed .1 seconds before you lose vulnerable. Traveltime at 50 yards is easily higher than the remaining debuff duration, and it'll hit for full damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I always thought it had to hit the target before vuln fell off. Oh well, still works the same way.

So what about if you use Windburst from a good distance and get a LnL proc? If you fire one off before it hits the target, it won't get the buff? I'm sure that's not likely to happen very often though.
    To my knowledge, yea, gotta delay if you have LnL+windburst.

I only use tracker to keep my last AiS as close at the end of vul window as posibble. If you play enough, you won't need to look at vul bar to do your rotation, the only thing you need to track is focus.

I also thought it had to HIT the target while you had the Vul buff, that was part of what put me off playing my Hunter tbh. I really hope that is right that as long as you get the cast off before the buff ends you benefit from it, that would make the whole mechanic more tolerable!
    Battletag: Chris#23952 (EU)
    Warlock

10+ Year Old Account
    It indeed does work this way. If you finish your cast before the Vuln window ends, then it will be buffed.
    Don't look at me like that! That thing made a move at me!

@Dracodraco is this the same for the ciritcal and precision bonus?
    If the cast is going off within the buff time, but it hit outside of the buff, will it still be an extra critical ?

Quote Originally Posted by leogeran View Post
    @Dracodraco is this the same for the ciritcal and precision bonus?
    If the cast is going off within the buff time, but it hit outside of the buff, will it still be an extra critical ?
    Not sure. I don't see why it wouldn't be, considering that's how other buffs like the concordance etc works. It was changed back in MOP because destro-warlocks were getting fucked over by super-long travel times on chaos bolts, so by the time they landed, the buffs they'd tried to dump chaos bolts with had already run out.

I use this vulnerability weakaura - wago.io/EkSt6dgLz

It's simple in that the vertical lines, which in this version don't move around, show when you need to start casting AiS to fit it in before the buff expires. With the t20 2-piece, you want to do two AiS, and as close to the end of the window as possible.

After a while I find myself using it less. I know that - normally - at 60-70 focus I can do Marked Shot, arcane and then 2 AiS, or around 50 focus I can do Windburst, 2 arcane, then 2 AiS. Specifics will vary based on your haste and whether you have the t21 2-piece, but will also change during the fight if your haste is buffed - that's where I find the addon is most helpful.