Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    It depends on your goal. World first? Top 10? Pre-nerf? Or clearing the raid just before the next content arrives? What degree of efficiency are you aiming for? 'cause all of the brackets have guilds with different mentalities in the way they are raiding in terms of the balance of quantitative and qualitative aspects.

If you want to kill all bosses at least pre-nerfed, it requires some ingame hours per week. Guilds which doing this achievement with relative low amounts of raiding days per week are quite rare. A lot of guilds are lying about their actual raid times, only advertising 2-3 days in their description, but non-communicated optional raiding days aren't unusual - and they are using those days quite a lot in the first couple of weeks and sometimes even further than that.

It is also an illusion to think a guild would clear anything if any member would just investing 2 raid days + 1-3 hours offraid per week. If a guild is successful, its the result of the few members which are investing a little bit more time in the game than the plebs which are going offline until the next raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want to do decent realm ranks and actually experience Mythic when it's hard, prolly around 4-5 hours for 4-5 nights a week, so 16-25 hours or so. Anything below that feels pointless, as progress would be so slow and gear would matter too much for the kills.

So for me, until I can dedicate 20 hours a week, I won't touch Mythic, and I prolly never will again. 60 hours work, 56 hours sleep, 14 hours workout and about 14 hours chores (cleaning, cooking, bills etc etc) leaves 24 hours free time a week, in that time I gotta fit in Overwatch, socializing with friends and family and a few other hobbies. I have maybe 5 hours of WoW a week at max, and with the grindy nature of Legion with tons of stuff to do outside of raids, I get maybe 2 hours a week for a raid, which was enough to clear HC weekly.
    Last edited by Battlebeard; 2018-05-24 at 04:28 PM.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Deleted
    Thanks to everyone for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Millyraynge View Post
    It depends on your goal. World first? Top 10? Pre-nerf? Or clearing the raid just before the next content arrives? What degree of efficiency are you aiming for? 'cause all of the brackets have guilds with different mentalities in the way they are raiding in terms of the balance of quantitative and qualitative aspects.

If you want to kill all bosses at least pre-nerfed, it requires some ingame hours per week. Guilds which doing this achievement with relative low amounts of raiding days per week are quite rare. A lot of guilds are lying about their actual raid times, only advertising 2-3 days in their description, but non-communicated optional raiding days aren't unusual - and they are using those days quite a lot in the first couple of weeks and sometimes even further than that.

It is also an illusion to think a guild would clear anything if any member would just investing 2 raid days + 1-3 hours offraid per week. If a guild is successful, its the result of the few members which are investing a little bit more time in the game than the plebs which are going offline until the next raid.
    Cutting edge, killing the last boss before next tier is released.

I'm asking because back in WoD the time requirement was pretty low, but in EM and ToV the grind was INSANE and I wanted to know if blizz pushed that requirements for nighthold, tomb and antorus.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    If you want to do decent realm ranks and actually experience Mythic when it's hard, prolly around 4-5 hours for 4-5 nights a week, so 16-25 hours or so. Anything below that feels pointless, as progress would be so slow and gear would matter too much for the kills.

So for me, until I can dedicate 20 hours a week, I won't touch Mythic, and I prolly never will again. 60 hours work, 56 hours sleep, 14 hours workout and about 14 hours chores (cleaning, cooking, bills etc etc) leaves 24 hours free time a week, in that time I gotta fit in Overwatch, socializing with friends and family and a few other hobbies. I have maybe 5 hours of WoW a week at max, and with the grindy nature of Legion with tons of stuff to do outside of raids, I get maybe 2 hours a week for a raid, which was enough to clear HC weekly.
    I just wanted to do cutting edge.

Anyway I think you are right, no point in getting in a mythic guild if you can't compete with people farming legendaries, AP and m+ because you are going to sit on the bench and get no action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugumo View Post

I just wanted to do cutting edge.

Anyway I think you are right, no point in getting in a mythic guild if you can't compete with people farming legendaries, AP and m+ because you are going to sit on the bench and get no action.

TBH a lot of guilds are having issues these days with retention, so I can't imagine they'd bench you all the time. Don't aim for like, Top 50 guilds if you're not able to put in the time on your own character, but there's many 11/11M out there that's lower who're a lot more laid back. It wouldn't be that difficult to level up your artifact to 75 and do a weekly +15. 8 hours a week for raiding (2 nights) isn't altogether unheard of these days vs. back in say, Cata/MoP when those were rare to find and still play at a high level.

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post

Playing pre-nerf requires a little bit more than to play the game only during raids. You need to play outside of the main raids as well. LFR, NHC, HC, M+ and other important stuff (like raid preperation, raid is at 9pm but invite is 15mins before etc.). All the stuff sums up in several additional hours per week.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
    TBH a lot of guilds are having issues these days with retention, so I can't imagine they'd bench you all the time. Don't aim for like, Top 50 guilds if you're not able to put in the time on your own character, but there's many 11/11M out there that's lower who're a lot more laid back. It wouldn't be that difficult to level up your artifact to 75 and do a weekly +15. 8 hours a week for raiding (2 nights) isn't altogether unheard of these days vs. back in say, Cata/MoP when those were rare to find and still play at a high level.

Thank you. Your answer was really sweet.

9 hours a week to progress. 3 hours at most now for farm.

I've gotten Cutting Edge for each tier (or my guild has for the tier or two I've skipped) since WotLK. For the bosses without that achievement, I just count "killing the hardest version of the boss before the next tier". Only exception would be Yogg+0.

It varies highly to be frank. You need a decent amount of time to level and prep for raids before they drop after each new expansion. For each patch, you'll need to complete any necessary patch content. Each expansion has different time demands, with Legion being one of the worst so far.

While the bosses are on farm, all you really need to do is make sure you have consumables stocked, which are usually fairly cheap and only require a few hours of grinding a week.

Outside of farm, it really varies too much to pin down a "time". I'd say not to expect to exceed 20-30~ hours a week, and that'd be pretty intense. That's like, clearing all the mythic dungeons, doing all your emissaries, and farming a bunch of AP on the side. Or chain running M+ all the time for AP.

It also depends a lot on the expansion. Legion was rather intense, as was MoP. Warlords and Cataclysm were very light.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a shitton of shortcuts available with Token - I think it's the best way for working adults. I simply buy a token once in a while, so I don't need to grind shit and have all the consumables I ever need, then I just do (or rather did, as nowadays it's pointless) AP WQs, Resources if I need to pump into the app and 1 mythic dungeon per week - that's pretty much enough. Add couple of extra Heroic clears when tier starts and that's it.

It's more than WoD for sure where I basically logged in just to raid, but it's not that terrible really.

If you play world of warcraft more than 4 hours per week you have a problem and should seek professional addiction help. You can tell yourself what you want but you have a major addiction problem.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    If you play world of warcraft more than 4 hours per week you have a problem and should seek professional addiction help. You can tell yourself what you want but you have a major addiction problem.
    Indeed, you should spend what free time you have, doing socially accepted hobbies like watching football or getting drunk at the pub, hail satan.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
    Mhm... Great contribution to the topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Moggie View Post
    that is kinda true but also not really - CE guilds have luxury of being very picky . many of them would rather take a week or 2 break rather then recruit random people - especially that unless they make alt runs to farm up mounts for raiders faster all they have to do is long in for 2 hours a week and log out.

remeber that every start of new expansion bring back ton of people from break so they will have to on "warm bodies " of their ex raiders to choose from .