Viability in PVE and PVP content?

Good morning everyone, I have been playing off and on since about mid BC but I have never been more than a casual. I love the game but tend to get bored easy. I really enjoy pvp, (world, battlegrounds and some arena) and I like to see pve content. I have tried tanking in the past and its not my cup of tea. I have mainly played dps characters but have healed some. I want to take a new character from 1 to 120 and be competitive or at least have the ability to get invites in pve and pvp and I am considering the following class/specs:

Enhancement Shaman
    Affliction Warlock
    Frost Mage
    Holy Paladin (I just love the pally lore)

I have never played any of these class/specs at max level in my 12 years of playing the game. If I am missing something please let me know. Not asking for anyone to pick my toon, just advice or things to consider about any of the above knowing my desires are to be able to be competitive if I learn my class/spec in both pve and pvp. I am leaning towards Enhancement Shaman but have read some conflicting posts online as to their ability to get invites to pve content. I did check the rankings though by class/spec and they rank really high (top 10) in both?

Unless you're aiming for highend content, Enhancement is fine.

However, both Affliction and Frost have the advantage to easily switch to a decent PvE / PvP spec.
    Enhancement is probably the weakest Shaman spec right now, Ele is decent for PvE / PvP, Resto is good for PvP, Enhancement is extremely weak in PvP and mediocre in PvE.

If you just want to play a single decent spec, Holy Pally is the best option, top healer in PvE, top healer in PvP.

If you have a group of players willing to play with you, Enhance is a fun spec and can be decent in all content. That being said, community perception will make it a lot harder for you to find groups or a raiding guild. The big problem for raiding is that it takes up a valuable melee spot and offers nothing that an Ele or Resto Shaman don't also bring to the raid. If you are willing to play multiple specs, you shouldn't have a problem.

Holy Paladin will probably be the easiest to find groups if you are happy being a healer. Mages are often taken as fire for PvE more than frost, but are wanted for all aspects of the game. Warlocks are highly wanted for both raiding and PvP (ours often switch between affliction and destro though), but I hear they have a little more trouble getting a spot in M+.

enha is fun,and it is completly fine and can compete in 100% of the content just fine,dont listen to people who say its ''mediocre'' these people think if a spec is underperforming more than 0.2% that its ''shit,dead,meme etc'',enha is fine,if you look in to parses its actualy above averege,but if you arent pushing for world firsts dont worry about what you play,worry about how fun it is,and enha is pretty fun,i would suggest you look in to survival hunter,its probably among the more complex and rewarding specs to play right now,but like i said,having fun and enjoying it is your best bet

Quote Originally Posted by Shrankar View Post
    If you have a group of players willing to play with you, Enhance is a fun spec and can be decent in all content. That being said, community perception will make it a lot harder for you to find groups or a raiding guild. The big problem for raiding is that it takes up a valuable melee spot and offers nothing that an Ele or Resto Shaman don't also bring to the raid. If you are willing to play multiple specs, you shouldn't have a problem.

Holy Paladin will probably be the easiest to find groups if you are happy being a healer. Mages are often taken as fire for PvE more than frost, but are wanted for all aspects of the game. Warlocks are highly wanted for both raiding and PvP (ours often switch between affliction and destro though), but I hear they have a little more trouble getting a spot in M+.
    enhancement is far from decent in pvp. I have enha as main, in pvp there is literally no point, you are melee doing decent damage but having 0 survivability. Currently if you play enh in pvp you just die fast, to every class with worst gear than you.

Quote Originally Posted by l3l View Post
    enhancement is far from decent in pvp. I have enha as main, in pvp there is literally no point, you are melee doing decent damage but having 0 survivability. Currently if you play enh in pvp you just die fast, to every class with worst gear than you.
    There are 2400+ enhance shamans in both 2s and 3s. OP didn't specify at what level he wanted to play at, but if he is looking to play with some friends around 1600 he should do fine. If he is looking to push for gladiator, he will have a hard time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrankar View Post
    There are 2400+ enhance shamans in both 2s and 3s. OP didn't specify at what level he wanted to play at, but if he is looking to play with some friends around 1600 he should do fine. If he is looking to push for gladiator, he will have a hard time.
    There should be every class at that rating. But if we can make a chart, enhancement is at the bottom of melee.

I forgot to mention that I am talking about casual pvp, not playing with multi-glad friends, etc. Regardless though, enhancement is the worst melee spec atm in pvp (rated, unrated, massive, 1v1s...) , by far.

ehn has some of the highest single target damage and can wreck.