Question Need help with MM in Torghast

Hello fellow hunters

I haven't played a lot of Wow the last 4 years, but I'm currently enjoying SL and want to be ready for raiding soon. To do so requires Ash which I get in Torghast and therein lies my problem; I can easily beat all the normal mobs without thinking too much up to lvl 3, but I get nowhere on the boss (or on gatekeeper lvl 5 that does shadow volley). My pet dies and dies again; sometimes it gets 3-shot, sometimes I can keep it up for a while if I use all the tools at my disposal, but it just feels too difficult.) I have lesser geared friends who easily climbs many floors up without issues.

I play MM, I've tried playing BM but I find it extremely boring, and the normal mobs just takes way too much time. I know MM might not be the perfect choice, but I think I should be able to climb a few more levels before it becomes impossible.

I'm not complaining about it being difficult, I just need tips on how to play bosses or strong mobs who damages me and my pet too frequently for my interrupts.

G

Personally I found the solution to be to not go for the flashy effects but rather the more straightforward ones. Necrotic venom increasing damage on aimed Shot by 50% is probably the best one.

Generally your way to go about it should be to stack enough straight damage and stats that Aimed Shot kills pretty much everything in one hit.

Lastly I would suggest using a ferocity pet for the hero and leech. Torghast was recently changed so all vooldowns reset, meaning you can safely hero on every floor

- - - Updated - - -

Other great abilities to look out for though is the 25% damage increase when you throw a trap.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    Personally I found the solution to be to not go for the flashy effects but rather the more straightforward ones. Necrotic venom increasing damage on aimed Shot by 50% is probably the best one.

Generally your way to go about it should be to stack enough straight damage and stats that Aimed Shot kills pretty much everything in one hit.

Lastly I would suggest using a ferocity pet for the hero and leech. Torghast was recently changed so all vooldowns reset, meaning you can safely hero on every floor
    But my issue doesn't really seem to come from lack of dps, it's just that my pet dies in 10 seconds, and on say the slime bubble boss, that is very problematic

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrome View Post
    But my issue doesn't really seem to come from lack of dps, it's just that my pet dies in 10 seconds, and on say the slime bubble boss, that is very problematic
    The pet is certainly squishy, in those cases you just have to focus on trying to keep the pet alive, trying to keep Mend Beast up constantly and saving Exhiliration to heal your pet to 100%.

Not really much you can do that mitigate the squishiness of hte pet sadly, as an MM Hunter your only real option outside lucking upon the correct epic powers is really just to burst the bosses down before the pet dies too much.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyrome View Post
    Ive also noticed my pet dying frequently on bosses. All i do is keep heals up and when it looks inevitable that pet will die, i throw a binding shot (which seems to work on bosses aswell, if it doesnt use tar trap) and ress my pet asap. Rinse and repeat, usually twice or three times depending on boss.

Also a good idea is to try and save your interrupt for these moments so you dont get blasted with spells while ressing pet.

But indeed if your pet dies in 10 sec, you need a tankier pet. Mine usually last at least 30 sec to a minute. I use scalehide for ferocity and dragonhawk for tenacity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pet choice plays a part. A ferocity pet with defensive damage reduction is the way to go for most. Keep mend pet on CD, it's leech will help, Damage reduction is you drop below 50%, exhilaration when it drops again. Interrupt as much damage as you can. Hopefully the first CD will be coming off CD when damage is spiking again.

Sometimes you just can't keep it alive regardless. Turtle, resurrection, repeat.

I haven't done this since prenerf, but stacking tar trap speed reduction made Thorgast trivial, it actually felt like playing in cheat mode.

DPS wise, the biggest burst i had ever stacked involved stacking Resonating arrow crit increase with a power which made Binding shot give a 100% dmg increase + dmg increase from Hunter's Mark.

Was fun seeing 50k dps again.

Don't forget Freeze trap is an interrupt in Torghast!

My pet usually dies at least three times on boss fights. I usually go for the biggest single-target and/or boss-relevant bonuses I can find. HM damage, Aimed Shot Damage, bonus damage to opponents you've trapped. There is one that gives you a high chance on attacking to heal you and pet for 5% HP...it appears to be able to rez your pet too, although that may not be intended. I use a ferocity pet for hero/leech.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    @OP What ilevel are you? I have done level 8s as MM with a Leech pet but you have to CC an elite on the double elite pulls.
    I am fairly geared at like 205. I struggled as MM on Torghast till around ilevel 190.

Don't hesitate to wait for CDs. Interrupt stuff as much as you can. Constantly mend pet. Don't overpull. Understand your limits. Get yourself a gorilla. Their shield at < 20% is awesome.

1. Try to get the Anima Power that does dmg reduc on pet when MD active on pet
    2. Anima Power which heals u when you attack a new target.
    3. General spell/ability buff anima powers like KS, AiS buffs help a lot.
    4. Avoid gimmicky Anima Powers. They are a trap even though they may look very tempting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    The main function of Mythic mode for most players is to act as a reminder that, compared to that 1%, they suck.

Besides stacking health/damage, having a couple key powers makes it so you can handle most things:

* mist that protects you from casters
    * sticky trap upgrades + tar burst
    * binding shot crit upgrade

These will protect you from most mobs in Torghast. Melee ones will literally never touch you and you don't even have to send your pet in. Casters won't be able to cast on you from out of range of the mist.

Beyond that, use a pet with damage reduction like a scalehide or gorilla. They have a TON more survivability than most other pets. You can also use CC and call your pet back to save them. Another cool tip is that the Bloodgorged Leech anima will actually revive your pet with the health it provides, meaning if you are fast enough you can immediately pop exhilaration after the pet gets rezzed from it.

Did Twisted Corridors 6 last night and the strategy I use does not really need pet past level 10. The problem with pet is it will die and there are no powers to permanently improve your pet like with Demonology. So your pet will at some point get two-shotted by bosses and you have to work around it. Anyway, pet's useful for heroism. So take a gorilla - it has 60% damage reduction auto-buff and it's still a ferocity pet, so gives heroism. Gorilla can survive a lot more then other ferocity pets.

Build your traps: you need all improvements for Tar Trap you can find. Get more slowing, get wider trap, get reduced damage inside trap.
    (3 levels of Sticky Tar, Bursting Tar, Peltsman's Grit)
    And another crucial power is one that creates a cloud around you that reduces range at which you can be attacked by ranged/spells, can't remember the name.

Once you have those, you are pretty much set - you can keep your enemies in traps and just DPS them down. Including most bosses. Now you can just focus on building your DPS and utility. Don't invest in health - there is a common boss that drains %health from you, there are levels with constant %health damage on you. I rarely build above 45k health - first half of TC my pet is tanking, second half I slow/kite and don't get much damage.
    Powers that are useful, apart from flat stats increase: +25% damage after dropping a trap, +25% "pool of light" buff that spawns randomly. And some otheres I don't remember much. I also buff my Night Fae power as much as possible.

Most of the time I just trap bosses/gate guardians, send a pet in if I have 90% damage reduction after missdirect, use Wild Spirits and full on DPS. Keep refreshing your traps, keep your distance, make sure to avoid bosses special range attacks/charges etc.

For those stupid teleporting mobs (spectres) - make sure you don't pull too much. And they teleport only if you are I think further then 15y, so just keep few yards distance and keep moving inside your trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Moras View Post
    Did Twisted Corridors 6 last night and the strategy I use does not really need pet past level 10. The problem with pet is it will die and there are no powers to permanently improve your pet like with Demonology. So your pet will at some point get two-shotted by bosses and you have to work around it. Anyway, pet's useful for heroism. So take a gorilla - it has 60% damage reduction auto-buff and it's still a ferocity pet, so gives heroism. Gorilla can survive a lot more then other ferocity pets.

Build your traps: you need all improvements for Tar Trap you can find. Get more slowing, get wider trap, get reduced damage inside trap.
    (3 levels of Sticky Tar, Bursting Tar, Peltsman's Grit)
    And another crucial power is one that creates a cloud around you that reduces range at which you can be attacked by ranged/spells, can't remember the name.

Once you have those, you are pretty much set - you can keep your enemies in traps and just DPS them down. Including most bosses. Now you can just focus on building your DPS and utility. Don't invest in health - there is a common boss that drains %health from you, there are levels with constant %health damage on you. I rarely build above 45k health - first half of TC my pet is tanking, second half I slow/kite and don't get much damage.
    Powers that are useful, apart from flat stats increase: +25% damage after dropping a trap, +25% "pool of light" buff that spawns randomly. And some otheres I don't remember much. I also buff my Night Fae power as much as possible.

Most of the time I just trap bosses/gate guardians, send a pet in if I have 90% damage reduction after missdirect, use Wild Spirits and full on DPS. Keep refreshing your traps, keep your distance, make sure to avoid bosses special range attacks/charges etc.

For those stupid teleporting mobs (spectres) - make sure you don't pull too much. And they teleport only if you are I think further then 15y, so just keep few yards distance and keep moving inside your trap.
    This works quite well from experience.
    The only thing that will still wreck the shit out of you is archers and javelineers. Because the cloud doesn't block physical projectiles from what I've found.

You can beat them with some clever usage of LOS though.
    I did Layer 8 of TC last week and the last boss on floor 17 was one of those archer guys. His critical shot would hit for 200k damage, it would one shot if at any point you were in straight line of sight (and I had the cloud). Best option here was to keep him in the tar trap and line of sight step every time he would cast that.
    It did require some planning and positioning though, as the duration of tar trap and the cooldown are equal, so you have to be very on the ball with it.