Survival's Dilemma!

https://raider.io/characters/us/malganis/Pantydropah

Currently I am rocking the Wildfire Cluster (190iLvL) and I am digging it. Does great AOE dmg, especially in mythics. I have about 4000 soul ash after completing my Torghast runs this week.

As we are starting to progress in raids, my dmg is sub-par as a Survival Hunter. I have done some poking around, and most Survival Hunters who are 10/10H and higher are still rocking the Wildfire Cluster lego, but I am not 100% since it could be their mythic lego equipped (Not all have upgraded to 230iLvL).

Not to many guides on Survival, but WoWHead suggest Soulforge Embers as the top raid lego, but Nesingway's Trapping Appratus has a great chance to deal more single target dmg.

Should I just upgrade the Wildfire Cluster or craft a different lego for raids? Or...go to the darkside and switch to MM

Quote Originally Posted by classicnguyen View Post

Currently I am rocking the Wildfire Cluster (190iLvL) and I am digging it. Does great AOE dmg, especially in mythics. I have about 4000 soul ash after completing my Torghast runs this week.

As we are starting to progress in raids, my dmg is sub-par as a Survival Hunter. I have done some poking around, and most Survival Hunters who are 10/10H and higher are still rocking the Wildfire Cluster lego, but I am not 100% since it could be their mythic lego equipped (Not all have upgraded to 230iLvL).

Not to many guides on Survival, but WoWHead suggest Soulforge Embers as the top raid lego, but Nesingway's Trapping Appratus has a great chance to deal more single target dmg.

Should I just upgrade the Wildfire Cluster or craft a different lego for raids? Or...go to the darkside and switch to MM
    Warcraftlogs.com shows approx 65% of all parses on SV Hunters are running WFC legendary on heroic.
    SFE on only 10%.
    I’d say probably stick to WFC, but it’s up to you. Still a shame SV Hunter is still so low on damage. I’d love to be able to play it in a high end guild.

Embers is fine on paper but wildly unreliable, and for what it requires provides way too little.

Wildfire is consistent and even if single target might not be the best is good enough given its aoe strength too.

Anoother thing to consider is that Nesingwary is really only good while talenting Birds of Prey and possibly Mongoose, and the theoretical best single target is the Rylakstalker. Then again we are talking straight single target.

Now, with all of this considered, Surv will shine over MM in big aoe pulls only. If performance is what you're concerned about, then learn MM and gear accordingly since its stat priority is pretty different from Surv. Given equal skill, there's no chance Surv can outperform a MM in a single target or raid environment.

Then again play what you find fun!

I made the wild decision to go forward and max out my WFC lego and still feeling the pain. I think I do need Rylanstalker for single fights but MM is still kicking my butt by margins. Most definetly need a buff =/ A bit depressed.

I was thinking maybe they could change the Kill Shot to something more similar of an Execute. No CD during the burn phase, just the need to build focus.

I made the wild decision to go forward and max out my WFC lego and still feeling the pain. I think I do need Rylanstalker for single fights but MM is still kicking my butt by margins. Most definetly need a buff =/ A bit depressed.

I was thinking maybe they could change the Kill Shot to something more similar of an Execute. No CD during the burn phase, just the need to build focus.
    The unfortunate truth is that survival will always be no better than middle of the road. It is wildly unpopular and if it outperformed both of the real hunter specs for too long there would be riots.

For my two cents, MM should have it's damage overhauled. Aimed shot.for example should hit a lot harder and the two aoe abilities should do a lot less single target damage but keep the overall damage for the max targets.

BM needs an aoe buff to match MM.

Make the trap legendary third. If you swap specs at least you will have a legendary ready to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I’m usually MM but last night I went Survival for our normal clear. I’m often top DPS in my guild as MM, usually getting Legendary parses, and last night I parsed largely Epic with a couple of Legendary and even a pink - my word, Survival is so much more effort for a relatively low amount of damage. They need to buff this thing for sure.

As for legendaries, I also went WFC as I saw many of the top performing SV’s using it. As many have said before and many will say again, SfE needs to be changed, in practise it is far too cumbersome in terms of GCD’s and trap travel time and fragile DPS with regards to its potential to ‘miss’ or be missed.

You should just go MM. It has almost every advantage and is still parsing well overall. I like Survival, but at the end of the day most raid groups already have too many melee and it's pretty hard to ever justify bringing one.