Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprias View Post
    I think most young to middle aged adults will rather have a weekend or so of sporadic free time instead of logging on every single evening.
    You'd think so, but let me introduce you to the concept of alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    It's better than the alternative of consuming all content 36 hours after a patch is released.
    no.... its not. In an MMO "RPG" people should be able to "CHOOSE" to grind it out or not. time gating isn't here in wow to make sure everyone can be equal, its there to make sure you stay subbed for as long as possible.

FAX ON A STACK NO KIZMO ON GAGA!

It's better than the alternative of consuming all content 36 hours after a patch is released.
    Is not? Just add horizontal content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    Didn't the Isle of Quel'Danas back in 2008 have time gating with it too? For both the single player zone area *and* for the Sunwell raid. This is just how they have designed WoW content almost since the beginning. It was seen as something to limit people from needing to play 16 hours a day when new content drops to keep up with everyone else. A little bit of stuff to do every day. Incentive to play for a couple hours each day, but without making people feel like they need to play all day long. This is a good thing, imo. Why suddenly the outrage today?
    Completely different things.

The isle timegating lore and over content was just for lore/storytelling plus was also a test to let people catch-up gear so they can get to Sunwell without any sort of attunement and probably since it was the last tbc raid was a way to buy extra time for wrath but it is hard to tell.

Nevertheless cannot be compared to the mobile game timegating we have noa

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Because the design of "keep them staring at the screen with the cash shop button as long as possible per day and hope enough paypigs have habit forming personalities, weakness to fomo and a impulse buying habit" IS the blizzard model now. Its a mobile game lacking the mobile client. Why do you think they don't report subscribers but report the cash shop is making them more money than subscribers ever did?

Brand loyalty indoctrination syndrome and sunk cost fallacy are powerful things to habit forming personalities and the sort of people that get addicted to mmos that they used to make movies about before people noticed it was the same sad story every time.

Those people are the WoW primary target audience now. Watch them in this thread ride their noble steed to keyboard warrior in defence of their brand-god. It doesnt matter that the company seems to have replaced the concept of "the job is to please the customer" with "we need to trick these stupid consumer cattle" or the rpg has been replaced with the mobage in mechanical terms. They see brand and clap. Brand is good. Brand is comfort. All that time can't have been wasted. I can't make bad choices, thats impossible. Its clearly just a unified worldwide cabal of hater trolls out to personally target and attack me and my brand which is inseparable from my own perception of me!

These people are the audience now and not the rest of us who blizzard employees regularly rant and rave on twitter as being some form of catch all strawman to be pointed out as the real source of the games myriad problems, somehow in their mind rent free at least, and the mobile tactics are the goal. Hell they are the game. Keep the player looking at that cash shop button for as long as possible, pad the MAU quarterlies. Hope you ensnare a habit forming personality to predate upon. Thats the entire reason WoW in its current state exists.

its a factory farm for whales and the game is a begrudged obligation to trick them to sticking around long enough to buy another WoW token or Mount off the store. If you aren't a raider quietly tucked away in your instanced hogpen, head down and consuming, then thats the entire point. Trick consumers that replaced your customers into feeling a bizarre need to treat WoW as a "forevergame" they straight up need to log in and play as much as possible not because they are having fun but to upkeep any number of systems that were tired tropes in korean mobile games 20 years ago.
    :clap: well said

The worst part is that this person is serious about it.

There is no hope for WoW with players like that.

The issue with retard timegating like this 26 days for legendaries or flying in 9.2

Is that are not well done, people brought up example like Isle of Quel'danas in TBC or the Tournament or Molten Front

Ye even AQ War Effort was an insane timegate but it worked because it was 1. Lore tied 2. Server Effort ( when server identity 3. Something purely MMO+RPGesque and 4. Not tied to your char

Skipped a day? No problem.

Which is the opposite atm and people talking about Durr 36 h content Durr are naive and ignorant because we already saw what happened when RU cleared Emerald Nightmare Mythic day 1 or people cleared Tower Mage day 1

Nobody gave a fuck and kept playing

no beacuse i rather have the content done within 36h and then do alt stuff than having to be dripp fed content. But then again, playing alts in this expansion is a no go so if i still were playing i would probably logg off to another game.

Quote Originally Posted by TBCCLOL View Post
    The issue with retard timegating like this 26 days for legendaries or flying in 9.2

Is that are not well done, people brought up example like Isle of Quel'danas in TBC or the Tournament or Molten Front

Ye even AQ War Effort was an insane timegate but it worked because it was 1. Lore tied 2. Server Effort ( when server identity 3. Something purely MMO+RPGesque and 4. Not tied to your char

Skipped a day? No problem.

Which is the opposite atm and people talking about Durr 36 h content Durr are naive and ignorant because we already saw what happened when RU cleared Emerald Nightmare Mythic day 1 or people cleared Tower Mage day 1

Nobody gave a fuck and kept playing
    Yeah.. I cant play everyday and it sucks ass when I actually DO have several hours available that the game often times blocks me from progressing. The game literally wants me to log in everyday instead of lets say spend 7 hours on a saturday getting as much done as I can.

So if I cant log in for about a week, im literally further behind than I was the previous week. I dont mind grinds, even the tedious ones. Just let me do them on my own accord.

Torghast is a decent example. Hated that place at launch. So much that my main then(ally paladin) still havent a maxed out legendary. When I returned i've played a hunter, that now has a maxed out legendary. Why? cause I could spam that place whenever I wanted for the currency needed. When I had spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    The worst part is that this person is serious about it.

There is no hope for WoW with players like that.
    WoW has different competing players...

Older school players who want the game to return to the notion that if you are good enough you can quickly gear up through relevant content and get to end game... and the newer players who want a life fulfillment simulator by doing daily quests.

The two have never really gotten along.

How is it better?

Would Torghast have benefitted if The Box of Many Things
    took 2 days to research each ability? Would that have been more content?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavebossa View Post
    How is it better?

Would Torghast have benefitted if The Box of Many Things
    took 2 days to research each ability? Would that have been more content?
    It's not better in all situations, but it is better in situations where you lose a competitive edge if you don't no life it.

It's not better in all situations, but it is better in situations where you lose a competitive edge if you don't no life it.
    I like the part where you ignore the fact that if its a not fun, not fullfulling borderline addiction abuse system then it should not exist in the first place.

Whether "timegating" is wrong or right doesn't matter.

Does Blizzard lose some players because the don't like it? Yes
    Does Blizzard make more money from people that stay subbed for longer periods because it takes longer for them to "complete content"? Yes
    What matters is that Blizzard apparently is convinced that more income made from group 2 outweighs income lost from group 1.

Added:
    People should treat Blizzard like any other private business - they only care about how much money they can make you fork over to them. Making a product or service isn't the goal, they are the means to make you hand over your money.
    Last edited by T-34; 2022-01-21 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorkreist View Post
    Because by your shill logics that don't fail to amaze us everyday when you post, the issue is not the development of just 36 hours of content, its the players fault for consuming that small amount of content fast. Hence you feel really smart saying inflating the time wasted for those actual 36 hours of content through every dumb f2p level of gating possible is somehow great design.
    Praise glorious company Blizzard!
    THIS^

Is this guy REALLY defending 36 hours of content that took a year to make? I don't think he gets the actual point. Spending a year to make 36 hours of content is ridiculous. Whether the player consumes it in 36 hours or a year is neither here nor there. 36 hours of content a year is fucking PATHETIC.

yes but thats blizzards problem isnt it?why pass there inability to create longer lasting content on to us

buddy, timegating was *invented* by the MMO

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    I like the part where you ignore the fact that if its a not fun, not fullfulling borderline addiction abuse system then it should not exist in the first place.
    That's less a rebuke of WoW than it is the genre of MMOs.