Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Perhaps I am, but I have reason to, not only based on my own experience with their more recent hardware but others' as well. =S
    The people experiencing issues with their hardware are a VAST minority however.

F.ex: I've now had 2 * Vertex 120GBs (Vertex 1) in my machine for over 2 years, recently they released the Turbo firmware to be compatible with them aswell, giving a free 10% boost to overall performance, not once have i had issues with them.

I've built in SSDs for all sorts of rigs all over, ranging from Intel to Crucial to OCZ etc, in that time i've had only 1 SSD fail on me ever, which was a 120GB Vertex 2 which has an unrecoverable panic mode, and that was replaced for me within 5 working days.

Really, OCZ is not as grim as you make it out to be, every company has it's failures, and don't be under any illusion, OCZ uses the same FW released by SandForce as any other on their standard drives, see the F/W 2.15 release statement f.ex.

OCZ just has a priority contract with SandForce, so they get the goodies first, but also the bugs, whilst them failing/dying on you is always LEH SUCK! it really is pure coincidence.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vertex 1 =/= SATA III SSDs. These are the SSDs which had the major issues.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Vertex 1 =/= SATA III SSDs. These are the SSDs which had the major issues.
    According to most posts i read up here, ALL OCZ drives suck, regardless of type.

However the Vertex 3/Agility 3 series were not an OCZ issue in general, but more related to SandForce, as all of them had the issues, including the daunted Corsair Force and Force GT f.ex, if they hadn't then SandForce wouldn't be the one bringing out the new F/W.

Again, yes all brands have/had issues, but objectivity must be kept, just because you had bad issues, doesn't mean others will.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    According to most posts i read up here, ALL OCZ drives suck, regardless of type.

However the Vertex 3/Agility 3 series were not an OCZ issue in general, but more related to SandForce, as all of them had the issues, including the daunted Corsair Force and Force GT f.ex, if they hadn't then SandForce wouldn't be the one bringing out the new F/W.

Again, yes all brands have/had issues, but objectivity must be kept, just because you had bad issues, doesn't mean others will.
    Here's the thing though... and I'm about done arguing this topic as I'm seriously sick of it and have explained my point a thousand and one times over, regarding OCZ over the past 4 months.

Unlike Corsair, who had the same exact driver issues pretty much, and Intel having a different issue, OCZ did not ever recall their SATA III drives, instead they insisted that they could not reproduce the issue, even though a staggeringly large number of people were reporting issues and not until quite a while later did OCZ finally decide to try and do something, that is after they had tried saying they would send out representatives to these peoples' houses or whatever to see the issue in person... Not to mention a large number of people reported issues with a newer version of the Vertex IIs over the summer, I guess ones that didn't have the same quality put into them as OCZ had done in early 2011 and prior.

It is apparent to me things still aren't going well for OCZ based on what I've read and them continuing to release firmware updates, specifically a newer one because of some inherent BSOD issues.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Haven't had issues with Thermaltake TR2 power supplies through my store. Care to elaborate?
    http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/902

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...y-Review/902/7

According to our methodology, Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W cannot deliver its labeled wattage. It burned after one minute delivering 750 W at a room temperature a little bit above 45º C. Thinking that we may have got a defective unit, we asked Thermaltake another sample, which burned exactly the same way. In both units the component that burned was one of the +12 V rectifiers.

Efficiency was always high when we pulled up to 60% of the power supply maximum load (i.e., up to 450 W), between 84.5% and 86.4%. But at 80% load (600 W) efficiency dropped to 81.9%, still above the 80% mark. At full load we couldn’t measure efficiency, because the unit burned before we could read all numbers.

Not being able to deliver its labeled wattage is not the worst about this power supply. Noise and ripple levels were way above the maximum allowed during tests four and five. With the first sample, noise levels during test four was 130.2 mV at +12VA and 127.6 mV at +12VB, jumping to 183.8 mV and 166.8 mV during test five, respectively. We got even worse results with the second sample, as it also failed on +5 V and +3.3 V, as we summarize in the table below. The maximum allowed is 120 mV on +12 V and 50 mV on +5 V and +3.3 V. All these numbers are peak-to-peak figures. Below we show the scope waveforms for you to see the problem.
    And

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can’t deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit’s labeled capacity (i.e., 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components.
    If he's got dirty power coming in from the wall, could very well be making it worse too.
    red panda red panda red panda!

15+ Year Old Account
    Here's the thing though... and I'm about done arguing this topic as I'm seriously sick of it and have explained my point a thousand and one times over, regarding OCZ over the past 4 months.

Unlike Corsair, who had the same exact driver issues pretty much, and Intel having a different issue, OCZ did not ever recall their SATA III drives, instead they insisted that they could not reproduce the issue, even though a staggeringly large number of people were reporting issues and not until quite a while later did OCZ finally decide to try and do something, that is after they had tried saying they would send out representatives to these peoples' houses or whatever to see the issue in person... Not to mention a large number of people reported issues with a newer version of the Vertex IIs over the summer, I guess ones that didn't have the same quality put into them as OCZ had done in early 2011 and prior.

It is apparent to me things still aren't going well for OCZ based on what I've read and them continuing to release firmware updates, specifically a newer one because of some inherent BSOD issues.
    I'll grant you that OCZ was reluctant to issue a recall.
    However the BSoD issue was 1 extremely difficult to track problem, as it originally wasn't (i say wasn't due to the 2.15 release) OCZ's issue but SandForce's issue.

And the Vertex II was indeed a bit crummy going from 34nm NAND to 25nm, this was leh suck, but OCZ wasn't the only guilty one of this, HOWEVER they did state that if you got a 25nm drive they would issue an instant swap for a 34nm drive, which TBH is good, but no it doesn't take the play of the game away, no doubt.

However your last statement again is misinformed, the Firmware used by OCZ drives are identical to firmware used by other companies, the only difference is brand/model detection in the firmware, those BSoD issues are inherent to all SandForce drives, OCZ was the first to release because of the exclusivity deal they got, i'm by no means an OCZ fanboi before that's brought up, but i think all these issues of "OMG THEY SUCK ALL OF THEM! NEVER BUY THEM!!!111oneone IT'S ALL OCZ's FAULT!" whilst they aren't to blame for shoddy firmware engineering (no contest for the Vertex 2 or the recall/swap of BSoD affected drives from me though) is kinda annoying.

Example: If you were to release 1.000.000 new SSDs onto the market, all powered by extremely new controller driven designs, and you're the first to sell them for say ~1 month, but an inadequacy was found in the firmware about 3 months later from other brands using the same design, who would draw the most attention?

All i'm saying is that the issues portrayed by alot of people are highly exaggerated to the sense of world-ending-doom if they buy it.

Yes i own the TR2 version, but i got no other power supply to this it... thats great so now it can be the psu... awesome another 150$ to spend to BENCHMARK without even knowing if its going to fix the problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why you bought new parts instead of RMAing them in the first place...

Granted the PSU isn't something worth RMAing, as you'll just get another awful TR2 unit back.

Do you have any old video cards that use significantly less power than a GTX580? the TR2's only start rearing their ugly head at higher loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I don't know why you bought new parts instead of RMAing them in the first place...

Granted the PSU isn't something worth RMAing, as you'll just get another awful TR2 unit back.

Do you have any old video cards that use significantly less power than a GTX580? the TR2's only start rearing their ugly head at higher loads.
    um yes a 8400GS :/ and why i didnt rma them in the first place? about the same reason it would be useless to rma that powersupply.
    Last edited by RenegadeXan; 2011-10-19 at 11:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    It does sound like a motherboard issue in all honesty as mentioned above. Clearly much easier to diagnose if you had another mobo to test all components on, however it seems likely already. A wise man once told me Motherboard should be one of your most expensive components now we all know price does not mean everything but the best boards are quite often the more expensive ones. Return the mobo asap for another keep in mind rare you can possibly receive 2 defective units depending on your luck.
    Yes sounds like the motherboard is at fault.

My other thought with major computer issues would be the PSU although it sounds unlikely if it is a case of the computer taking ages to boot.

So rma motherboard buy another psu? so thats 450$ more then what i spent at first and still might have same problem

110$ HDD 150$ SSD + 150 PSU.

You know what would be awesome? do this then realize its the SSD! then spend another 300 bucks.
    Last edited by RenegadeXan; 2011-10-19 at 11:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    um yes a 8400GS :/ and why i didnt rma them in the first place? about the same reason it would be useless to rma that powersupply.
    Why? RMAing the other parts because they might be a faulty one of their lot is entirely different than trying to RMA a PSU that is bad by design.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Why? RMAing the other parts because they might be a faulty one of their lot is entirely different than trying to RMA a PSU that is bad by design.
    It's still very unlikely a bad power supply is the reason why his BIOS takes ages to post.

RMA the motherboard.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

More then likely the Motherboard. Most of the time if its PSU then it wont boot... only other thing i can think of is bad ram but again, bad ram would mean it wouldnt boot. Its either Motherboard or Processor imo =x good luck!

Deleted
    Bad bios version as well perhaps?
    The place where i work at, especially with standard boards like the P8P67 we often have to flash the board from the get go due to the board, for example, starting up twice before it actually boots.
    I'm not quite sure if that relates to things like a slow cool boot, but it could be a possibility.
    Whatever the case it does sound more like something related to the motherboard rather than that PSU, even tho, as mentioned before, that specific PSU isn't exactly getting the greatest of results.

Also, to the whole SSD arguement, anything Sandforce will give you "troubles", it's not like those issues are specificly related to OCZ drives.
    I have a Vertex3 myself, and on my old SATA2 motherboard it would quite often BSOD on me (once every couple of days), but ever since i upgraded to this Sabertooth, even though people claimed to have worse issues with Sandy Bridge boards, I haven't had a single BSOD in several months on SATA3.

If you want realibility on SSD's, go for the Intel drives, they're supposedly getting very few RMA's and have been tested as the most stable out of the bunch.

I know it's all not exactly what you want to hear though, it drove me pretty nuts to how much research you have to do on hardware these days, pretty much every single part needs to be researched fully, from CPU stability, Motherboard stability/issues, temperatures, videocard fan noise to less obvious things like how loud the fan gets on a certain PSU.
    Last edited by mmocd74118d970; 2011-10-20 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    So rma motherboard buy another psu? so thats 450$ more then what i spent at first and still might have same problem

110$ HDD 150$ SSD + 150 PSU.

You know what would be awesome? do this then realize its the SSD! then spend another 300 bucks.
    So dont boot anything on the SSD put it all on HDD and test...that should be fairly easy.

Deleted
    The sandforce issues are very generic though, in the sense it's almost always the same type of things that happen to people.
    The drive can, in rare cases, stutter during gaming.
    In other cases it seems to completely dissapear from the system, making windows "hang" obviously, when you suddenly have a feeling something went wrong, click your windows start button and try to move into one of the maps, like accessoires, if you can't access that, it's an SSD issue and the drive has dissapeared from the system. (and if you leave the system running a minute or so longer it will eventually bsod with the infamous 0x0f4 or something error)
    A reset at that point wont cut it, you need to power down your system for a few seconds and power it back up, at which point the SSD should be back.

These are basicly the main two issues that can appear with sandforce drives, if it's not an issue as described above, it's unlikely its the SSD imo.

I Had the same issue, last night I closed everything was fine and i boot it up and it doesn't work, i tried something someone recommended on another forum and it was to uplpug the DVD driver and it worked 1st shot, will test it for a few day, apparently a defect DVD driver can cause this issue.