Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Novekk View Post
    You're wrong. Ganking IS World PvP and it's AWESOME!!!
    Yeah.. One chance of a fight has 0% chance to win, how is that awesome?

It's like thinking it is kewl to use aimbot and wallhack in CS...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimd View Post
    Q: Hey there. Will Pandaria have a new Dalaran like city or will we be using the ones already existing ingame?
    A: We will have separate player hubs for both the Horde and Alliance on Pandaria. Separate hubs means we do not have to make them sanctuary and will encourage world PVP. These hubs will have access to an AH, Bank and general vendors. Valor, conquest, profession and faction vendors will be scattered around the world to encourage travel.

It is SOOOO good to see some effort on world PvP, even if somehow for any reason, it fails ingame, I can think "well, at least they they heard us and tried".
    Tell me about it, this really could revitalise the part of the game that was so epic back in Vanilla. I'm awfully excited to see what mechanics get implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by Tremble View Post
    Tell me about it, this really could revitalise the part of the game that was so epic back in Vanilla. I'm awfully excited to see what mechanics get implemented.
    History tells a different story I'm afraid:

Their attempts in Vanilla (after they ruined everything with Battlegrounds and Dishonorable Kills):

- lolsand in Silithus
    - tower ruins in Eastern Plaguelands

Which were unintentionally comical because they described World PvP so aptly. Deserted and broken.

Their attempts in TBC:

- those 3 bases in Hellfire Peninsula
    - those 2 bases + flag thingy in Zangarmarsh
    - Spirit Towers in Terrokar Forest
    - Halaa

However, at first no one really cared about those things because everyone was busy leveling. After a while, LvL 70s on flying mounts were hovering above those objectives, turning them into pointless lamefests.

WotLK:

- Wintergrasp

Wintergrasp was a lagfest apparently due to some glitch caused by siege engines damaging walls; also, population imbalanced + tenacity usually prevented any sort of meaningful PvP.

Cataclysm:

- Tol Barad

Horrible design flaws made it a completely pointless battle. Queues instead of tenacity mean that on a lot of servers, most people seldomly even get an invitation. Also, PvE quests.

---

Why would it be any different this time around?

World PVP is not fun, and will never be imo because it will can not be balanced. PVP in WoW isn't balanced around 1v1 fights so some classes will just dominate others in a 1v1 situation. Also if one group of overpowered characters is running around destroying anyone who is alone or even in a weaker group comp then they can just be camped for hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bairne View Post
    World PVP is not fun, and will never be imo because it will can not be balanced. PVP in WoW isn't balanced around 1v1 fights so some classes will just dominate others in a 1v1 situation. Also if one group of overpowered characters is running around destroying anyone who is alone or even in a weaker group comp then they can just be camped for hours.
    I strongly disagree, i remember back in Vanilla the rush of Horde chasing you as your desperately trying to escape from their grasp, unless your one of those that disgusts the thought of dying then it can be fun to be on the losing end aswell. A World filled with characters will be far better than a town full of characters staring at the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Bairne View Post
    Balance issues have a far greater impact in sandboxed sudden death PvP, i.e. Arena. In Open World PvP there are far more variables to work with which greatly mitigate those factors that are crippling in Arena.

I've played a Shaman since Vanilla and I have to say I loved Elemental, it was the spec I played, even though it wasn't "GOD MODE" it did have that random lol 1-3 shot bursting if you had the gear and lucky crits.

I miss Ebind kiting like 4 people around BRM as I Frost shock Chain Lightning kited out CD's until I finished off that small group that was headed to LBRS or UBRS.

Then in BC, I still played a Shaman, Elemental wasn't that good either but it was fun, World PvP was mostly camping Kara gate and the stone in outside outside of Mana Tomb, Seth and w/e else was there.

Until around s3/s4, when Isle came in, considering I had full Vengeful at that time, I had insane amounts of fun, even if it was an out numbering fight, if I could kill 1 - 2 of the X amount trying to kill me, it was worth the death.

In Wrath the only world PvP I saw was from leveling right away, after that once ever one get 77 and learned to fly, it was dead, Wintergrasp was fail and a lot of people had insane lag and tenacity ruined any fun unless you had it, then it was fun until your loss.

Cata didn't change much just a better Wintergrasp which wasn't good enough, ring around the I WIN!...

I really enjoyed Vanilla and BC world PvP, with daily hubs being 1 -2 here and being so spread out, and things that required dismounting (Neitherwing dailys inside the mine ^_^) it made for a good amount of world PvP.

And the bottom line, if you don't want to get jumped out in the world in a WAR game, Xfer or Reroll to a PvE server.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekdin View Post
    In Wrath the only world PvP I saw was from leveling right away, after that once ever one get 77 and learned to fly, it was dead, Wintergrasp was fail and a lot of people had insane lag and tenacity ruined any fun unless you had it, then it was fun until your loss.
    I actually had a lot of fun far as world PvP went in WotLK - I was in Auchindoun, a server that was maaaad populated and had a wonderful Alliance/Horde ratio of almost 1:1, so that might've been why BUT killing off whole guilds outside of Ulduar with my 5v5 team, ganking people questing in Sindragosas' Fall and in Icecrown in general while doing dailies are some of the fondest PvP memories I have. The amount of HKs I made a day *just* from that is absurd, I spent so much time there, was enormous amounts of fun.

Deleted
    Remove the finder from the cities and you will have world pvp back, however:

It is not going to be world PvP, more like World Slaughter. During Vanilla, they tried to take care of population on realms so that one faction didn't horribly outweigh the other. This is gone now, and even hardly encouraged ever since they launched their faction change for money tool. This will result in battles with 5 hordes to each alliance being very common. Result will be in alliance staying in towns and doing BGs and arenas for PvP.
    Last edited by mmoc4631ecd216; 2011-10-29 at 06:45 PM.

I would love to see something similar to notorious monsters from Final Fantasy XI added with it being shifted more toward world pvp. Have various bosses that spawn in different areas of the game world that flag all participants who engage it for PvP. Make it so the other faction can attack them mid-fight, as well as even taunting the boss off of them, and after a certain amount of time holding aggro (maybe 5-10 seconds) they get credit for the kill if they finish him off. Give them interesting drops that don't even have to be gear since that stuff will become obsolete over time (or an intelligent loot table that upgrades as new gear comes out) as an incentive to get people out hunting the spawns. Also make their respawn timer random so that people have to get out there and hunt them down. Could even have the bosses spawn in no fly zones, be them caves, or in territories with magical dampeners that prevent flying mounts from being airborne.

Getting large groups out in the world, bonking each other over the head for these bosses could be interesting. A lot of this is just me thinking out loud, so there are probably plenty of of problems that could arise from the idea like server population imbalances, or what happens if it's, say a horde group fighting the boss, and another horde group comes along, can they steal the boss too through the taunting mechanism, despite not being able to attack the current group fighting the boss due to being of the same faction?

I agree that world bosses would be a good step in the right direction to get people out of hubs and possibly instigating some world pvp, even on pve servers. I think it's just a matter of ironing out some of the details, and Blizzard having the will to go through with it, and not just talk up a mean game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I totally forgot about same side griefing. Oh man.

Green dragon mushroom death blossom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggington View Post
    I would love to see something similar to notorious monsters from Final Fantasy XI added with it being shifted more toward world pvp. Have various bosses that spawn in different areas of the game world that flag all participants who engage it for PvP. Make it so the other faction can attack them mid-fight, as well as even taunting the boss off of them, and after a certain amount of time holding aggro (maybe 5-10 seconds) they get credit for the kill if they finish him off. Give them interesting drops that don't even have to be gear since that stuff will become obsolete over time (or an intelligent loot table that upgrades as new gear comes out) as an incentive to get people out hunting the spawns. Also make their respawn timer random so that people have to get out there and hunt them down. Could even have the bosses spawn in no fly zones, be them caves, or in territories with magical dampeners that prevent flying mounts from being airborne.

Getting large groups out in the world, bonking each other over the head for these bosses could be interesting. A lot of this is just me thinking out loud, so there are probably plenty of of problems that could arise from the idea like server population imbalances, or what happens if it's, say a horde group fighting the boss, and another horde group comes along, can they steal the boss too through the taunting mechanism, despite not being able to attack the current group fighting the boss due to being of the same faction?

I agree that world bosses would be a good step in the right direction to get people out of hubs and possibly instigating some world pvp, even on pve servers. I think it's just a matter of ironing out some of the details, and Blizzard having the will to go through with it, and not just talk up a mean game.
    Your onto something there, but like i said earlier i belive Blizzard needs to sort out Realm balancing for the next Expac, it's only getting worse with time and it's hindering gameplay for many.