Thread: The UFC Thread

Lovers quarrel between Dana and Conor, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

I hope UFC stands firm against Conor.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Part of me hopes they stand firm in their decision and part of me hopes they don't. On the one hand, McGregor seems to be heavily biased against promotion based on his defeat and need to get this one back. He doesn't want distractions now, but didn't mind them before he lost. He didn't have as many problems running his mouth as he climbed to the record setting pay days.

But on the other hand, promotion events in the UFC are kinda retarded. Do they really need 20 lead up sessions to get record setting PPVs? They aren't the WWE...they don't need multiple instances of drama to have a good fight. But they can't have it both ways. Either they want the best fights they can have as the #1 professional fighting organization, or they want a media circus.

So part of me wants McGregor's protest to gain traction, because fighters should be allowed to train and have better scheduled and fewer promotional events. But eh...this just feels kinda petty on both sides.
    BAD WOLF

"I'm paid to fight, not paid to promote".

Yeah, okay, no one was buying this from Nick when he stood up a presser for the GSP fight. Very few people jumped to Nick's defense for that stunt.

I'm not denying there might be some sort of media burnout for the bigger UFC fighters, so I can see that side of the argument, but on the other hand Diaz loses just as much time in training as Conor does for doing the media circus, travel logistics not withstanding; Conor could always move his camp stateside like he has before. There was a report I read somewhere today that said the UFC was basically willing to recreate Conor's entire world stateside for him.

It seems that the fight isn't happening, which I'm okay with; unnecessary rematch anyways. Let Nate and Conor cross roads down the line; he can use that time to defend the 145lbs strap and fix the holes in his game.

This whole thing is bizarre, and I'll be glad when the MMA world has moved on from it.

Agree with everyone, promoting is what he does best, but after losing... he realizes that he was basically slack in training, thinking everything was easy cuz of chumps like Mendes and Aldo, Diaz is also a chump but you know what, that dude can bang and that mental warfare doesn't work on him. Conor was not prepared and losing seems to have locked him in. Unfortunately, the best part of this guy is his antics and those trash talking sessions. If it takes one fight to get his swag back, so be it. The UFC should do whatever it takes to keep him rolling, since he is one of like... 5-7 guys that I'd watch every time they have a fight.

Speaking of guys I like to watch, Ben Henderson has a title fight this weekend in Bellator already? I hope I don't forget to watch it.

Bendo is fighting tonight.

I'd like to be clear: I'm not necessarily backing the UFC in this either; they facilitated the growth of this monster, so it's only fitting that it's now off the leash and looking to bite them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    I'd like to be clear: I'm not necessarily backing the UFC in this either; they facilitated the growth of this monster, so it's only fitting that it's now off the leash and looking to bite them.
    No doubt about that. I mean I get it, I'm a McGregor fan and even I think he deserves it for not living up to the responsibilities, but there's a part of me as an MMA fan on the whole that wants this to grow into something b/c I don't give a shit about their press conferences. I just want to see them give the best fight possible. McGregor could fit an entire event's worth of shit talking into one 2 hour session, so why have him repeat it like 10 times before the fight? Let these guys train and try and be the best they can. That's what I'm paying for. I'm not paying for a bunch of youtube clips of half retarded fighters running their mouths. B/c let's be honest, who wants to listen to Diaz talk about anything? I don't. That dude has brain damage.
    BAD WOLF

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a feeling they're gonna put Connor back on the card if they can't find a fight big enough to replace the hole he leaves. Without Conor it's just another standard card imo, they'd need someone like GSP to save it at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    I have a feeling they're gonna put Connor back on the card if they can't find a fight big enough to replace the hole he leaves. Without Conor it's just another standard card imo, they'd need someone like GSP to save it at this point.
    It's still a pretty good card, and Dana said they're working on another possible title fight. If Jones destroys OSP and comes out injury free, they could throw him on 200, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Bendo getting smashed so far. First round could be a 10-8.

goddamn, that henderson can't be put down. jesus.

dude took monstrous hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, some of these Bellator fighters are looking highly skilled as of late. But yeah, Henderson got wrecked, but still just kept going.
    BAD WOLF

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nbm02ss View Post
    It's still a pretty good card, and Dana said they're working on another possible title fight. If Jones destroys OSP and comes out injury free, they could throw him on 200, too.
    It is a good card, I shoulden't have said save it but it's not the type of card you'd expect for UFC 200. Supposed to be a big time bi-centennial(?) card. Aldo Edgar is a good fight and so is Nunes/Tate but I think it needs a huge fight that's also important to separate it from just another UFC card. Maybe I'm putting too much stock into the whole 200th show milestone? Personally I'd love to see Lawler on the card but there was rumours he was to fight Alvaraz on the 201 card. They can't really put all their eggs in the 200 basket because that would make for weaker 201 and 202 cards but having Lawler vs anyone and Conor vs anyone ontop of the Aldo/Tate/Cain fights would be awesome for me still.

Jon Jones could fill in too but with the New York event possibly happening in November that would be 2 quick turn arounds unless they wanted to just leave him off that one. I would imagine Jon and Wiedman would be the 2 headliners for that card.

Who knows, maybe they will get Fedor for UFC 200 but I'm not gonna give up hope they will end up putting McGregor back in. Especially if there is massive fan backlash and so far I've noticed a mixed opinion on the latest Irishman antics but a lot of people seem to be against Dana's decision.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Maybe I'm putting too much stock into the whole 200th show milestone?
    Nah, it's a gigantic event. They themselves are trying to hype it up to nuclear levels and the reason they dropped Conor (supposedly) is because he wouldn't do media they paid 20 million for. They wanted this to not just set records, but destroy records. At this point GSP is the only person who could save their card as him coming out of retirement would be the biggest story in MMA by far. Either that or get some gimmick fight between two classic fighters. Like can you imagine if they randomly announced Liddell vs. Ortiz again? Lolol. That would be so funny to watch now.
    BAD WOLF

Really excited to see Jones return tonight

Damn, my boy never even looked shook after getting blasted so many times last night. The only window Bendo had was in the 5th when the russian did some crazy spinning dogshit and also got his back took, otherwise... shocked it was only 50-45 straight, a couple of potential 10-8s in there.

That MVP fight was funny as fuck though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    That MVP fight was funny as fuck though.
    I didn't even know what to think of any of it. He looked both really impressive and completely ridiculous. He threw some punches, especially that first one, that with a UFC fighter would have probably killed someone. That was like the McGregor Aldo KO, except it must have been air b/c the guy only fell down b/c he pushed him after the hit and he wasn't even dazed by it. Such a weird fight.

He seems like too much of a clown, but with unlimited potential. Is like...inverse Anderson Silva we're watching or something?
    BAD WOLF

7+ Year Old Account
    Watching UFC 197 Prelims. Cody East vs. Walt Harris was the only good fight so far.
    Hope Henry Cejudo will be the winner (over Demetrious Johnson). And Ovince Saint Preux must go all in and overthrow the champ.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm woried about the OSP KO for some reason, I bet on OSP either way but Jon is my favourite fighter currently ;[

10+ Year Old Account
    Hrm....weird first round. Lots of testing, not a lot of committing. They both seem hesitant.

- - - Updated - - -

Meh...super boring fight. Jones looked rough and not focused. He better get his head right or someone hungrier than Preux is gonna jack him up. Maybe he can wake up for his next fight with Cormier.
    BAD WOLF

Pretty lame fight. JJ was playing it safe imo, which is unusual for him. Usually hes a lot more aggressive especially on the ground/clinch etc. I'm disappointed.