Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    It still does look stiff and unnatural.

But im actually going to wait to try the game instead of relying on videos, they are often innacurate in terms of gameplay.
    I think this must be a subjective thing, because I watched the same video and thought the animations were excellent. Seriously. I'm left wondering if this is some sort of uncanny valley effect that only some sensitive people are picking up. The only thing that I might be able to perceive that other posters are complaining about is that perhaps the toons postures are too perfect. Doesn't actually bother me though, and I'm half wondering if I am imagining it.

I have the same problem - I can't see anything wrong with the animations, and to me they look pretty awesome, throwing lightsabers, jumping around and so on, it all looks great to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kledic View Post
    I think this must be a subjective thing, because I watched the same video and thought the animations were excellent. Seriously. I'm left wondering if this is some sort of uncanny valley effect that only some sensitive people are picking up. The only thing that I might be able to perceive that other posters are complaining about is that perhaps the toons postures are too perfect. Doesn't actually bother me though, and I'm half wondering if I am imagining it.
    Actually I'm starting to think people are comparing the game to things like Devil May Cry and Force Unleashed as opposed to other MMOs. It's pretty clear-cut obvious that Bioware wasn't trying to reinvent any wheels here.

I'm well aware that the things that I find corny looking are the same things other people love (Force choke, Bounty Hunter shoryuken, etc) so I'm isolating my opinion as just that, my opinion, and choosing not to bash the game as a whole. I'm sure it'll be great fun for those who know what they're getting into.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Actually I'm starting to think people are comparing the game to things like Devil May Cry and Force Unleashed as opposed to other MMOs. It's pretty clear-cut obvious that Bioware wasn't trying to reinvent any wheels here.
    I'd cream myself if they implemented TFU and TFU2's combat into an MMO....
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Ugh, I hope not. Those games were terrible! I try to pretend they don't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time I check the TOR side of the MMO-Champion forums I see more and more of "This looks bad." Unless you've played the game for yourself, you really can't get a good feel of how any system in TOR will work or feel to you. Videos will do no justice to gameplay, even if the videos are in-game showing the UI and everything. The reason why is because you aren't controlling the character and deciding what ability to use, where to look, where to move, etc. Just wait until you either get a beta invite or get to play the game when it launches because I'm sure there will be a trial period to see if you like it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    If they put in that combat system and included the QTE kills for every significant mob I would be done with MMOs and maybe gaming in general. Imagine if you will, a game where all 25 raiders have to all push the QTE buttons correctly to initiate the scripted kill on the boss. How much fun would that be!!

Moral of the story, fuck TFU and its QTE kills. <3 pretty much everything else about those games though except for 2s stupid short length although paying like $5 during the summer steam sale for it was just great.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    This thread is another shining example of the mismanaged marketing department deciding to keep the NDA active. It is really frustrating to even talk about this game because of it. Why would they want their beta testers to remain silent this close to launch? Their competitors more than likely have already seen beta themselves, so all they are denying now is interested fans. This would all be different if they did a better job themselves of promoting the game. It is like they left a lot of the promotion to the fans and gave us very little to work with.
    The primary reason they still have the NDA to to prevent story spoilers, so that those who join the game at launch can discover the stories themselves and enjoy them to the fullest. Right or wrong, who am I to judge?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckon View Post
    The primary reason they still have the NDA to to prevent story spoilers, so that those who join the game at launch can discover the stories themselves and enjoy them to the fullest. Right or wrong, who am I to judge?
    That, and they are still changing things. Every time the community hears about a system, and then they hear it was changed in the next beta build, they shit bricks and sacrifice sheep, and complain the sky is falling. They don't take the time to realize that systems are being tested in a few different ways based on feedback in order to find the optimal gameplay. They don't realize that it's not a set in stone we're done with the game deal. They just want to call the devs liars and say they have broken their game.

I'd rather avoid all that junk as well if I were making this game.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    so I'm isolating my opinion as just that, my opinion, and choosing not to bash the game as a whole. I'm sure it'll be great fun for those who know what they're getting into.
    Now that is something I respect. Getting so very tired of people prophesying their personal views as the opinion of the masses or factual evidence.

Takes a reasonable person to admit to being subjective.

Thank you sir.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

the long global cooldown, no autoattack makes the fighting look slow. If they just stand there and wait 1-2 seconds until they can activate a new skill it looks stiff and undynamic. I think they should lower the GCD to 1 second and all would feel fast and dynamic.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    the long global cooldown, no autoattack makes the fighting look slow. If they just stand there and wait 1-2 seconds until they can activate a new skill it looks stiff and undynamic. I think they should lower the GCD to 1 second and all would feel fast and dynamic.
    Keep in mind most of what we've seen is lower level content. We might be jam packed with abilities at higher levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kryos View Post
    I've seen level 14-20 PvP, and people already have a lot of active skills there, which results in very little downtime.

There will be much much more at even higher levels.

The GCD is fine imo.
    - Looks like they took him to some bolt hole in the Wounded Coast.
    - I wonder if it's near the Injured Cliffs? Or the Limping Hills? Massive-Head-Trauma-Bay? No? Just me? *sigh* Forget I said anything.

Deleted
    The game looks to play alot like WoW, that in itself is a fairly smooth and well running MMO.

Though the "Combat meshing" animations they try are a huge downfall in PvP, because it looks like they are designed for standing still, when used in fast moving melee they do make it look jerky and a little bad.

It should be fine by release, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on the animations being totally awesome, as Bioware are not known for their great animation skills.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    It should be fine by release, but I wouldn't get your hopes up on the animations being totally awesome, as Bioware are not known for their great animation skills.
    Animations are very VERY important, much more important than textures, for a immersive enviroment and characters. They should hire better people. Blizzard has very talented animation artists that make even low poly crap like the wow rabbits cute and believable.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

I don't see the problem with the GCD. As much as i've seen, the basic attack with no CD except the GCD always is a flurry of attacks, in melee and range. So once this flurry is over the GCD is over. You can see this in some of the Gameplay vids on youtube. Only thing in the animations that seems a little off to me, is when the characters seem to "lean" to an enemy to their side. Looks sometimes as if they're trying to break their spine.
    Everything else i'e seen so far looks extremly good. Nothing like those 3-4 cast and hitanimations in some other games.

Wait and see they do have regular patches on the beta and only what? Six weeks to find out for ourselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    anything on combat you can see without breaking NDA is mostly at low levels.. ive looked at combat i like it, might not be to much going on at the lower levels but i like what i see, when you get more abilitys higher up you will have more to do, and i do believe they said there will be stuff that lowers Global cooldowns
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

10+ Year Old Account
    Been watching some more beta gameplay videos lately. The animations ingame look quite a lot better than in most promotional vids.
    There is still a certain "stiffness" in the overall motion of the character, but I guess that's just their art style (I still don't like the overall "stretchy" character models with long faces. I'ld advise people to look up some recent gameplay videos, if you don't agree, tough luck that's how they look
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Once you get your hands on the game, the combat feel great and looks fine to me. Feel > Looks to me though so take from that what you will.