Page 1 of 3
LastLast

About monk's Roll

The blizzard insider says rolls can be done sideways and backwards. I hesitate to think if it will just be mouse-targeted like Heroic Leap...or if we'll have to backpedal to roll backwards!
    Last edited by Valenhil; 2011-10-28 at 10:49 PM.

I don't know if you have played the Witcher II, but I'd love to see Pandas doing that roll that allowed you to stay alive in this game:P

Maybe they'll add a dodge buff for the duration of the roll.

By colossus smash I assume you mean heroic leap?

I expect this to be awesome. I spend all my time in Mega Man X dashing, all my time in Ocarina of Time rolling, all my time in Kingdom Hearts rolling, all my time in WoW jumping, bunny-hopping in Doom source ports because it makes me feel faster...

If it's as fun as Death Grip was...I'll play a monk.
    Now, THIS thing? THIS thing is horrible. It's just awful. It was awful at 60 and it was awful at 58. It's awful at 45. If this dropped off a mob in Wailing Caverns when you were level 17 and being run through by a higher level character, you would equip it ONLY because you don't have trinkets at that level, and it would STILL SUCK.
    -Wowhead user on the Lion Horn of Stormwind, an epic from the era of so-called "EPIC" epics.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw that comment but I can't figure out how you would roll forwards or back. I am almost positive that hitting roll shot you forward whatever direction you were facing. I must have used the spell literally four hundred plus times (got the Roll achievement several times even).

You could probably strafe or spin around mid-roll but that's not very efficient compared to just turning that direction before you hit Roll.

Either they're mistake about how the ability works, or they are planning to change it. Just odd that they'd comment on it.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Would it be so difficult to say you hit "direction" + roll hot key?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Based on how the trailer showed it, it looks like the roll is based on which way you are moving.

My question is, why? It's a neat trick, but what role does it serve?
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Based on how the trailer showed it, it looks like the roll is based on which way you are moving.

My question is, why? It's a neat trick, but what role does it serve?
    it's mobility...no different than charge or blink. Very useful for target switching or gtfo mechanics especially for a melee class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fengosa View Post
    it's mobility...no different than charge or blink. Very useful for target switching or gtfo mechanics especially for a melee class.
    That's what I wanted to know. If it actually made you move faster, or if it was the same as running.

I imagine it'd be easier to turn around and use it to go foward, but backwards if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    That's what I wanted to know. If it actually made you move faster, or if it was the same as running.
    It makes you faster. The distance moved felt longer than Blink, but otherwise that is a very good comparison for how it functions.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    I'm just saying, I am pretty sure it doesn't currently work that way. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    It makes you faster. The distance moved felt longer than Blink, but otherwise that is a very good comparison for how it functions.
    Yes, it's much faster than blinking out of combat because it goes further and you can spam it much more frequently based on the energy cost.

In combat I imagine you won't have a lot of spare energy so you'll have to play for it more and it will be at the cost of DPS, so I think that's how they make it work without it being OP.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Kenasan View Post
    By colossus smash I assume you mean heroic leap?
    Fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    Exactly, No one walks backwards in pvp environments. It's slower.
    Way I see it, pressing roll should make 4 arrows show up around your character. You then press W,A,S, or D to roll. No hassle involved, and more buttons pressed. Isn't that how they want the monk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I'm just saying, I am pretty sure it doesn't currently work that way. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
    Keep in mind that the Blizzcon preview was far from the finished expansion. The mechanic may not have been ready at the time they finalized the preview.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    Fixed!

Way I see it, pressing roll should make 4 arrows show up around your character. You then press W,A,S, or D to roll. No hassle involved, and more buttons pressed. Isn't that how they want the monk?
    But what if you use the arrow keys (me) or the mouse (most people)? And if you had to escape from an enemy in front of you, you wouldn't roll forward into it. You would back up and roll backwards, then spin and run.

This sort of ability looks very technical, and is sure to hang countless animations...only means our old school races are getting updated to be able to even use such a spell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenhil View Post
    Fixed!

Please no, i dont see why they can't just make roll go forwards only. I mean its not hard to mouseturn in whatever direction you go to.
    Oh and one more thing, there's some of us who has keybinds on those key's. Would suck hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vaztes View Post
    Please no, i dont see why they can't just make roll go forwards only. I mean its not hard to mouseturn in whatever direction you go to.
    Oh and one more thing, there's some of us who has keybinds on those key's. Would suck hard.
    I imagine if they went that route, they'd attach the sideways rolls to the strafe keys, not the turn keys.

I do agree, though. There may be times when you'd want to strafe/turn and roll forwards at the same time, and it would suck to accidentally roll in the wrong direction because you happened to need to move.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    This sort of ability looks very technical, and is sure to hang countless animations...only means our old school races are getting updated to be able to even use such a spell.
    Or just some new animations.

At the very most some new rigging like the Pandaren have.

New models clearly are nowhere near ready or they would have been in the trailer.