10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I return with a couple more questions concerning this game.

1) In what ways does FFXIV accommodate roleplay, if at all? Are their Roleplay-assigned servers as in WoW, or does the game by default accommodate Roleplay on any server? Are their areas that have no purpose beyond aesthetic beauty and thus allowing RP potential, and is there an interactive environment such as the chairs we have in WoW, and maybe more?

2) I've noticed that we're able to give our characters both a surname and a forename. Are names "saved" as in WoW, or is it possible to have the same name as someone else; either entirely or with a different surname/forename, depending on whether it's the surname/forename you want? I ask because I certainly wouldn't mind having a character in tribute to my favourite FF character; which isn't a difficult one to guess thanks to my avatar.
    1 not sure how easy to answer serverwise.

buuut I'd say there should be plenty of places to RP in...The worpd is GORGEOUS even on the PS3 version.

As for interactable environment sadly not that I saw.

now as for names lets just say I saw more then a few Dragneels...No really seems ALOT of anime fans are playing it(ok NO surprise but yeah). So yeah pretty sure it's the whole package that differentiates

Deleted
    i got a question too.

how is the gameplay? is their a gear treadmill like wow? is there more stuff to do then just raiding like in the most games?

Deleted
    Just checked out some of the gameplay videos.

Honestly, I do not understand why anyone older than 16 and on a PC would play this game? The gameplay is so ridiculously slow-paced!

On top of that the visuals make it look extremely arcade/console-oriented while somehow managing to be cluttered as well...

With all the existing traditional MMOs out there, many of which are F2P now, as well as the slew of popular action combat MMOs, I can only assume that this game attracts mainly either fans of the franchise or teens and pre-teens.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by squeeze View Post
    Honestly, I do not understand why anyone older than 16 and on a PC would play this game? The gameplay is so ridiculously slow-paced!
    Because clearly the higher your age the faster the pace you demand from games, and vice-versa.
    I know, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Akumasama View Post
    Because clearly the higher your age the faster the pace you demand from games, and vice-versa.
    I know, right?
    Well, if I wanted to play an arcade version of Hello Kitty then, I would, but I am more likely to play a more challenging and sophisticated game, no?

Deleted
    I'm not really sure where you get that age part from, but the slow combat is a legit concern, I suppose. At first when I read about it, I thought "My god, 2.5 seconds GCD is like super-slow!", but having actually played it, it doesn't feel slow at all for me. In some cases, the extra time to think is really well appreciated.

Screenshots and videos rarely do the game justice when it comes to looks, but that's a subjective thing anyway.

Deleted
    If Anything I find it too fast lol, especially at lower levels where TP doesn't matter and you just spam anything you got.
    It can be a bit slower at higher levels when you have to manage your TP but honestly I like it.
    Hope they won't bend to the fans asking for superfastomgaction requests. There are plenty of games like that already and I don't want yet another.
    Too "fast" already for my tastes, hope it stays like it currently is at high levels.

Oh and Squeeze, just to furtherly show the nonsense of your statements, I'm 33 and I hate hellokitty, superdeformed animes, lolistyled character designs and even most Nintendo/Disney stuff.
    lolage, srsly.

And to further elaborate on that: expressing concerns about something in the game is legit.
    Linking your own personal tastes to age or anything else and pointing fingers shows very little respect of your interlocutors and how you're not even aware of your opinions being personal, blindly thinking they're absolutely correct.
    Last edited by mmocf466cc5c1b; 2013-06-25 at 02:33 PM.

Well, if I wanted to play an arcade version of Hello Kitty then, I would, but I am more likely to play a more challenging and sophisticated game, no?
    Since when does "twitch-based combat" equate to "challenge and sophistication"? I, for one, prefer games involving strategy over pressthisbuttontoolateyou'redead action combat. I'll admit my unavoidable 250+ ms latency may have something to do with this.

Deleted
    Latency has nothing to do with it. Clearly you have to be a 16 years old.
    All 16 years old people like slow games. Everybody above 19 like fast action-paced games yo!
    Everybody knows that.

Deleted
    yes, young adults are totally into slowpaced games more about tactics and strategy. Thats the reason the big publishers are struggling : No one wants to play their niche actiongames.

Deleted
    Final Fantasy XI was even slower but was one of the more challenging MMO's if not the most.

On top of that the visuals make it look extremely arcade/console-oriented while somehow managing to be cluttered as well...

With all the existing traditional MMOs out there, many of which are F2P now, as well as the slew of popular action combat MMOs, I can only assume that this game attracts mainly either fans of the franchise or teens and pre-teens.
    <---Fan of the franchise, and definitely not a teen or pre-teen. Sorry to disappoint, but at 32 I still get more enjoyment out of the old, turn-based combat rpg's than the fast-paced action combat games the game companies all seem so eager to keep pumping out these days. FFXIV's combat system may not be perfect, but I don't see the drastic difference from other MMO's out there that you seem to think there is. I did not enjoy FFXI and the original release of FFXIV turned me off quickly, but this beta version of the game plays very much like the majority of today's MMO's and even borrows elements from them. I haven't had time to play far into it yet since these weekends have only been from Friday to Saturday night, but what I have played has been enjoyable. Oh and as to visuals being "cluttered", you can move almost everything in the UI and other posters here have mentioned the possibility of being able to shrink the UI elements in release.

Deleted
    "Challenging" I don't know, depends what meaning you give to the word.
    "Sophisticated" for sure, if you mean with a higher degree of complexity.
    It's world reknown how the math behind FFXI was absolutely more complex than that of most other games.
    So many variables and intertwined things to consider.

It was fascinating, but I'm not sure how much that has to be considered a pro or a con. You could argue that at least in a few parts FFXI was "uselessly complicated", that level of complicatedness that serves no purpose other than being complicated for the sake of being complicated, if you get what I mean.

Also the fact that for the large majority of stuff people had to sort out formulae behind stuff in reverse-engineering fashion because the developer didn't give accurate data for most things didn't help either.

Personally I'm a fan of that complexity (I still play FFXI to this day after all), but in all honesty I have to admit sometimes there really was no purpose in many of those things.

WTF is a "sophisticated" video game? You seem to be forgetting the heart of ALL games; FUN. I'd guess by your list of complaints on this title, you probably never owned an Atari or even an NES. Google Duck Hunt if you want to see an example of what was once considered a "classic". The jist of the game was the player shoots at a target or bird with a plastic gun-shaped controller and when you miss, a dog comes up and laughs at you. Game companies weren't going for "sophisticated", they were going for entertaining which is what still sells today.

I really hate when people bring up age groups in games. Tom Abernathy at Microsoft Studios has done some research into age groups in games and found that:
    Under 18 is 32% of gamers. 18-35 is 31% of gamers. Over 35 is 37% of gamers.
    Stop assuming that everyone that play games is in school. The people that hang around forums and whine at games are a minority when it comes to the playerbase.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_u-IRJXizI

Chess is pretty slow paced but I guess that is neither challenging or sophisticated and are aimed at 16 year olds?

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    Chess is pretty slow paced but I guess that is neither challenging or sophisticated and are aimed at 16 year olds?
    Don't feed the troll =/...Everyone knows strategy is great. As in, if they made a new FFT I'd be ALL OVER that in a heartbeat. I think part of FFXIV's success is contributed from the old school games like FFT, FF6, FF7 (undoubtedly, actually).

Regarding combat and the game's flow, here's what Naoki Yoshida had to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Naoki Yoshida
    The important thing to remember here is that the people getting bored at the beginning are gamers who play and think like I do. These gamers have realized that combat is the the primary focus of the MMO experience.

Although this is a fairly extreme example, to all of you skilled players with long gaming histories, let me ask one question. When playing a new game for the first time, have you ever thought it was a bit dull or underwhelming in the beginning? With MMOs in particular, as players continue to move from game to game, they tend to get burned out easily. My hardcore MMO gamer friends are like this as well, saying they'll never waste so much time trying to get into a game ever again. The beginning of the game seems dull and uninteresting, but there's still that longing for something to ignite a passion for the game.
    All the gameplay we know of is not endgame stuff, and has a learning curve. As he states, it's like that in mostly any MMO or game. It starts slow and then picks up. Even with WoW or what not, you'll be using x skills in the open world or easy dungeons, then switch to strategic and well-placed mechanics for raids and heroics.

The full statement of Naoki Yoshida can be found on the beta forums or possibly elsewhere (dated June 21st, so it was fairly recent), so look for that if you're interested.

There's also a huge list of things people asked about/wanted, and many were addressed. It seems they are taking feedback very seriously, even if it's just a thread with 1 reply. I like where the support is and how well they are paying attention.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2013-06-25 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    rant
    Not gonna go for it, you already got quite a few opinions to digest (and I totally agree with them)

If anyone's got a spare beta key for pc... I'll trade my inmortal soul for it à la Bart. Want to try it sooooo badly!

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    I return with a couple more questions concerning this game.

1) In what ways does FFXIV accommodate roleplay, if at all? Are their Roleplay-assigned servers as in WoW, or does the game by default accommodate Roleplay on any server? Are their areas that have no purpose beyond aesthetic beauty and thus allowing RP potential, and is there an interactive environment such as the chairs we have in WoW, and maybe more?

2) I've noticed that we're able to give our characters both a surname and a forename. Are names "saved" as in WoW, or is it possible to have the same name as someone else; either entirely or with a different surname/forename, depending on whether it's the surname/forename you want? I ask because I certainly wouldn't mind having a character in tribute to my favourite FF character; which isn't a difficult one to guess thanks to my avatar.
    1.) There are two servers right now in beta that are the unofficial RP servers. There is nothing marking them as such it is just where the RPers went. As to their names I wanna say it is Bahamut and Diabolos? Not 100% sure as it was only mentioned a few times in the general chat of Gilgamesh. There are interactive things in the enviornment but they are not point and click like wow.

For example, there are chairs in bars and in certain outside areas of towns and the like, you can sit in these chairs by typeing /sit and your chracter will automaticaly plunk there butts down on the chair. Likewise if you type /sit with no chair near you, you will sit on the ground.

2.) The nameing convetion of surname and Forename works like wows nameing convention except with alot more variety.

For example, my beta chracter is Cynn Romanace, You can name your chracter Cynn but you can not use the surname of Romanace. Or you can reverse it and name your chracter Bob in which case you can use the surname of Romanace.

Has there been any discussion about an unofficial oceanic server? I'm curious to know if people will go for a Japanese server for the lower latency, or a US one for the common language.

Bloodsail Admiral Lethey Alexandros's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Has there been any discussion about an unofficial oceanic server? I'm curious to know if people will go for a Japanese server for the lower latency, or a US one for the common language.
    Well I have tryed JP, NA, and EU servers, the latencey between all three with my connection is not noticeable at all. So really I would say it is just boils down to prefference of language spoken by the server majority.