Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    To be honest skipping fate spamming is worth it any day.
    The FATE spam is why I have not gotten anywhere with that quest chain. LOL

Managed to get one crystal ... then "noped" out of there.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

You can get the quest on any job to get the items and then just cancel it and get it again on whatever job you want it on and still the items. That's how it worked without the relic item at least. Heck you can even go get the quest on say your DRK and fate grind on your level 50 WHM and still get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutler View Post
    So question since i dont play bard anymore do you think its worth it to trade in my yoichi zeta to skip a step to getting the new relic for my summoner which is my new main?
    Totally worth it since you can buy a "copy" of the zeta for glamour purposes.

If I actually make another anima, it'll be after I go back and complete the BLM zeta. But now I have to decide on what to spend esos on since I'm also done with the anima weapon now. The eikon crafting mats sells for pennies on Balmung. I've picked up the DRK eso weapon (since I have a farthing to bump it to 210) but don't see a need for the armor/accessories since those'll be outclassed ilvl wise come 3.3. Not to mentio I literally have every 195 item for all other jobs (which I may as well start turning in for GC seals since I won't have another class at 60 for at least a month).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Totally worth it since you can buy a "copy" of the zeta for glamour purposes.

If I actually make another anima, it'll be after I go back and complete the BLM zeta. But now I have to decide on what to spend esos on since I'm also done with the anima weapon now. The eikon crafting mats sells for pennies on Balmung. I've picked up the DRK eso weapon (since I have a farthing to bump it to 210) but don't see a need for the armor/accessories since those'll be outclassed ilvl wise come 3.3. Not to mentio I literally have every 195 item for all other jobs (which I may as well start turning in for GC seals since I won't have another class at 60 for at least a month).
    I'm just glad i have the option to basically switch my relic i dont use for one i will.

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

3.3 is coming at the "beginning of June." That could still be May 31 (when is it June 1 in Japan vs US?) or June 7, I suppose.

Dungeon Preview is up.

MSQ Preview is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurimas View Post
    Funny, I always assumed you liked stirring up shit. I didn't know you were just analyzing and critiquing. Like the comment about women: so thinly veiled as critique about your detractors and your analytical mind that I can't even really put into words how it was supposed to be relevant (don't bother explaining, I don't care)... but much more likely to just stir up shit about women and men.

Kind of proud that everyone let it drop though. I needed that discussion in my FFXIV thread like I need a hole in the head.

On topic of FFXI: Do we have a 3.3 release date yet? I only recently started paying attention again.

Yeah, that guy is funny. He sits there and claims we are unreasonable because his ideas just don't fit the game. We point out how it's unreasonable, and he get all upset. Then he posts a video that basically says, "if you are not looking for solutions, you must be a woman." At least that's how I took it. Probably best just to ignore people like that. They see everyone else as the problem. Here's a hint though, if you think that everyone else is the problem, you are probably the problem.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OK, is Triple Triad bugged or am I just being stupid/losing my mind,

3+8 > 3+7 right?

Why no capture when Tharced to above bottom right card?

Edit: Nevermind, turns out the max is 10 ... so 3+8 rounds down to 10 ... -_-
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2016-05-19 at 03:04 PM.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Let's watch it, folks. Not seeing eye to eye with someone is fine, not thinking someone is being reasonable is fine, but I don't want to start slipping down to mudslinging and such. Just stating this now before we go any further on this path.

3.3 teaser is up, live letter is coming in a few days. Will be plenty to discuss game-wise.

(Also, I got PLD to 60, yay!)

Some 3.3 preview images.

Based on the wording of the preview, this'll be the final hurrah of the Dragonsong War. I had figured it to fully wrap up in 3.4. Not bad for an odd number "filler patch".

Now to go psycho or not on leveling DoH/L so I can be kinda-sorta ready for the new crafting gear...

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaron View Post
    If you find fate farming annoying (and it really wasn't that bad, got the crystals for my first weapon in 2 or 3 days, without extreme grind), then you will definitely love the unidentified material grind. Running all duties day by day...for weeks. First I stopped at this step, was too much for me to bear. Now that I unsubbed on WoW some weeks ago, I managed to be at 60/80 unidentified seeds/bones/ores/shells. That was quite a ride! It also took me some time at the marketplace to get the gil for the crafted hq token, for I'm not that rich.

Edit: Not sure if you know, but as soon as you got the quest for the crystals, you can do it with ANY job at ANY level (higher 50 ofc), so you can use that, to level another job via fate grinding.
    I'm probably never going to complete this quest chain. LOL

Looks nice but don't feel it's worth the effort. >< It's barely better than the lore weapon.

Speaking of other jobs ... my BLM is stuck at 56 ... /shrug

I'm fairly burned out to be frank ... can't even bring myself to grind lore anymore for the remaining hailstorm pieces (body, leggings, earrings).

PS: /sigh Pretty bored at the moment ... Deep Dungeons is the only thing I'm holding out for - could be good. If that turns out to suck ... I will probably just clear the MSQ and return in 3.4 (if SMN pet glamour allows glamouring of the Egis to Carbuncles and there is actually something new to do). Thinking of buying a house in 3.3 ... don't know if I can actually get my hands on one ... the fact that if you quit it goes away ...

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It's not a clone at all.

Leveling isn't particularly difficult but it's nowhere near as easy as it is in WoW. You - thankfully - can't throw cash at the game to skip the leveling process almost entirely.
    Actually, leveling in FF14 is just as easy/braindead of a process (especially alt classes). You're relegated to either dungeon spam or fates/leves. Either way there is 0 difficulty, 0 engagement in either MMO's, so in that essence as annoyingly as it is to say, SC is 100% correct and you are incorrect.

If you choose to spend 90% of your time in raids then...that's your choice. Absolutely nothing is forcing you to do that. It's like playing Fallout 4 and complaining that you spend most of your time building settlements because you make the decision not to go out into the game world and explore.
    Name three pieces of content in this game that are enjoyable for someone who is a skilled MMO gamer:

1) Savage Raids
    2) Extreme Primals
    3) ??

That's it. Gold Saucer? Boring. Not interactive enough. Dungeons? Considering you can literally AFK in almost every single one of them and run an AHK macro that spams a single ability and clear them, nope they don't count. Quests/Leves/Fates? Nope not here either. Even turning difficulty to max on leves it's still mind numbingly simple. PVP? Sure maybe if the combat engine was coded properly so that you could actually attack moving targets, except its not. Hunts/Diadem? If zerging was ever enjoyable to anyone let me know.

Again to try to be crystal clear, this isn't about "hard" content. It's about engaging and fun content. Something that makes me think, something that just requires any modicum of brainpower would be extremely welcomed.

Gear being replaced by something better is pretty every now and then is standard in modern MMO's.
    Stupid argument. What you are saying is true, but you're implying that because its shit in another game its ok to be shit in this game. The itemization/vertical Gear climb in this game is undeniably awful, arguably the worst I've ever seen in an MMO.

Character customisation isn't perfect and could do with additional options but it's still far more in-depth and less dated than what WoW offers...especially in terms of smooth animations.
    Character CREATION (note not customization) is significantly better in FF14 than most competing MMO's (ESPECIALLY WoW). I agree on that front.

However, character customization? Not sold on that. Less dated sure, but that's like me saying I'm younger than Barack Obama because I'm 29 and he's 54. It's a true statement, but doesn't need to be said because it's obvious.

Both games have transmog/glamour which are identical, (note one is terribly designed and the other is passable).

As far as character customization from a gameplay perspective? Nope FF14 has 0, nada, zilch, etc. WoW blows it out of the water here. As do many other games. This harks back to the itemization issue as well.

So sure, aesthetically my character may "look" different, but a DRG, is a DRG, is a DRG.

Crafting is far from a 'sideshow'. It's optional, yes, but it's super in-depth compared to what other MMO's offer. Each crafting - and gathering - profession is literally it's own class.
    Agreed that it is super in-depth and definitely ahead of other games mechanically.

With that said though, it's a freaking slideshow. It's just not useful really at all other than some cosmetic stuff/housing, etc. They REALLY could have done more here.

I get it that you're in love with the game. I'm an enormous Final Fantasy fan too. I truly am. I love FF14, but I quit because I wanted to tell them that the direction they are taking the game is not for the better IMO. 3.0 being a mirror of 2.0 was an enormous let down for me (and many others, as evident by past posts). I've done the same thing for WoW, and other games too.

As sad as it is to say SC is correct here. FF14 really is just a skeleton of WoW with an incredibly attractive coat of paint. What Yoshi needs to do now with it is make it his own game. How he chooses to do that is up to him, but I fear for the game if he continues on the path of "more of the same".

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I agree on the stuff you said before.

I didn't scream at her.
    I saw she was chaincasting Bio 2 and merely stated:

"Use Bio 2 once and then use Ruin 2 until Bio 2 runs out, after that refresh it once. Do not spam a damage over time spell."
    Clear concise and neutral language is important when you criticize.
    To be fair, this is not the way I would have approached it. While what you did was not wrong, it was not optimal either. You should have approached the topic with a little more compassion. I agree that clear concise FEEDBACK is important, but direct cold criticism was not warranted IMO.

I would have said: I noticed you are new because of the green sprout, would you like a few points on the general rotation of your class? I noticed that you had been using Bio 2 a lot. Ideally you'd like to use Ruin 1 as a filler spell while Bio deals its damage over time.

How exactly do the chocobo keepers work? It seems like one time I remember renting one and I controlled it? Secondly, are chocobo's only "one-way"? It seems like from random outpots I can only ever go back to limsa? I figured they were like flightpaths, but apparently not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    I would have said: I noticed you are new because of the green sprout, would you like a few points on the general rotation of your class? I noticed that you had been using Bio 2 a lot. Ideally you'd like to use Ruin 1 as a filler spell while Bio deals its damage over time.
    It's weird that you're 29 because I would have pegged you for much younger with having the mentality of PC sugar-coating. Like we've devolved into shit where Jenna posting something on FB about how Mindy has some chub, that's like "zomg bully! get her to the guidance counselor asap" type shit. Fundamentally, I agree with you in terms of the way you approach someone is the key, but I don't like having sugar-coated discussions. "Hey, just to let you know you should cast X, Y and Z, in that order you'll do much better" is just as fine to me as some super in-depth, "I don't want to hurt your feelings, buuuuuut..." response.
    Last edited by alturic; 2016-05-19 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm also done with the anima weapon now
    Graaats Kazela.

Sure I can do that if I am DPS and no one gives a damn about downtime.
    But as a tank I forgo the unnecessary diplomatic fluff, because people tend to get pissed if I stop pulling in order to massacre the party chat.

Actually, leveling in FF14 is just as easy/braindead of a process (especially alt classes). You're relegated to either dungeon spam or fates/leves. Either way there is 0 difficulty, 0 engagement in either MMO's, so in that essence as annoyingly as it is to say, SC is 100% correct and you are incorrect.
    "I am completely right and you are indisputably wrong" is not a compelling discussion.

Name three pieces of content in this game that are enjoyable for someone who is a skilled MMO gamer:

1) Savage Raids
    2) Extreme Primals
    3) ??

That's it. Gold Saucer? Boring. Not interactive enough. Dungeons? Considering you can literally AFK in almost every single one of them and run an AHK macro that spams a single ability and clear them, nope they don't count. Quests/Leves/Fates? Nope not here either. Even turning difficulty to max on leves it's still mind numbingly simple. PVP? Sure maybe if the combat engine was coded properly so that you could actually attack moving targets, except its not. Hunts/Diadem? If zerging was ever enjoyable to anyone let me know.
    So you hate everything about the game, and only morons could enjoy the above content. Duly noted.

Edit: That may have been over-saturated with snark. My point is, you basically state none of the above are enjoyable by people with MMO gaming experience/skill whereas you can only say you don't like the Gold Saucer, dungeons, treasure chests, hunts, Diadem, quests/leves/fates, or anything else the game has added. There are a lot of people who do.

Stupid argument. What you are saying is true, but you're implying that because its shit in another game its ok to be shit in this game. The itemization/vertical Gear climb in this game is undeniably awful, arguably the worst I've ever seen in an MMO.
    So every RPG, from Dungeons & Dragons to Legend of Zelda to Final Fantasy VI to EverQuest to WoW to FFXIV is shit? Alright, then.

With that said though, it's a freaking slideshow. It's just not useful really at all other than some cosmetic stuff/housing, etc. They REALLY could have done more here.
    I honestly think adding Alexander Normal gutted the strengths crafting had in 2.0 and adding materia slots eliminated it entirely. I really feel like crafted gear should be on par with the latest tomestone gear, giving two paths to the same power level with crafting being the more immediate, albeit insanely expensive, option.

I get it that you're in love with the game. I'm an enormous Final Fantasy fan too. I truly am. I love FF14, but I quit because I wanted to tell them that the direction they are taking the game is not for the better IMO. 3.0 being a mirror of 2.0 was an enormous let down for me (and many others, as evident by past posts). I've done the same thing for WoW, and other games too.

As sad as it is to say SC is correct here. FF14 really is just a skeleton of WoW with an incredibly attractive coat of paint. What Yoshi needs to do now with it is make it his own game. How he chooses to do that is up to him, but I fear for the game if he continues on the path of "more of the same".
    2.0 pulled the game out of the toilet to commercial and critical success. To think 3.0 would do a complete 180, even a 90, in a different direction seems confusing to say the least.

Honestly, it sounds like you also want a completely different game from the ground up, down to the conceptual design level, the likes of which doesn't exist anywhere on the market right now. Not sure that's a valid discussion for this thread, but it would be an interesting thread for the video games forum in designing the "penultimate MMO" complete with discussion on balance limitations and approaches to challenges any ideas would face.

A lot of the design concepts tossed in the Log Horizon anime, I would LOVE to see in an MMO, but it'll never happen because "everyone has to be able to solo everything" and thus we can't have true support classes that need to rely on others to shine, which also hurts a lot of the ability to have varying combat startegies based on different classe make ups.

The other issue is simply "the internet" and the theorycrafters dictating the "right" party make up. Honestly, MMOs have been crippled in a lot of ways by having the curtain pulled back and everything laid bare, with all the information at our finger tips within an hour of patch dropping.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2016-05-19 at 08:01 PM.

Personally I'm just not going to go into the whole "game design/what to do different/ xyz about this game sucks" argument(s) that crop up in this thread anymore. It's not because this game is perfect (far from it) and that SE can do no wrong (1.0 version of this game says hi). It just ends up boiling down to vicious disagreements.

Now I fight the notion to spend all these esos on more unidentified parts for another anima weapon...someone please give me a better suggestion.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I honestly think adding Alexander Normal gutted the strengths crafting had in 2.0 and adding materia slots eliminated it entirely. I really feel like crafted gear should be on par with the latest tomestone gear, giving two paths to the same power level with crafting being the more immediate, albeit insanely expensive, option.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Because if you can craft the newest gear set, you'll make bank because the end-game raiders who are going to tackle savage within the first few weeks, will turn to crafters so that they can get pentameld-able gear. Also, the fact that crafting can be penta-melded is why they don't put it on par with tomestone gear.

How exactly do the chocobo keepers work? It seems like one time I remember renting one and I controlled it? Secondly, are chocobo's only "one-way"? It seems like from random outpots I can only ever go back to limsa? I figured they were like flightpaths, but apparently not?

10+ Year Old Account
    Now I fight the notion to spend all these esos on more unidentified parts for another anima weapon...someone please give me a better suggestion.
    *scratches head*
    *thinks hard*

I've got nothing, sorry. ._.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    They are 2 way but they aren't interconnected like WoWs FPs. So you can't really run from Coerthas to Southern Tanalan.

I think the most you can get is [butt of the world] -> [Capital of the Area (G/LL/U].
    They are meant for short travel only. Use teleports for long distance travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Because if you can craft the newest gear set, you'll make bank because the end-game raiders who are going to tackle savage within the first few weeks, will turn to crafters so that they can get pentameld-able gear. Also, the fact that crafting can be penta-melded is why they don't put it on par with tomestone gear.
    Honestly, despite the ilvl difference, the crafted 220s are as good (and in several cases, better) than the 230 lore equivalents. For casters, the 220 chest piece utterly destroys the 230 lore chest. The lore gear puts you over current accuracy requirements by almost 200 points. I currently run the crafted chest, gloves and ring; were I to get into savage Midas, all I'd have to do would be swap the gloves for lore and bam, accuracy capped.

Hopefully there's either new crafted gear in 3.4 and/or ways to upgrade the 220s; either way, a crafted gear situation similar to now is much more preferred to what there was in 3.0-3.1.

- - - Updated - - -

*scratches head*
    *thinks hard*

I've got nothing, sorry. ._.
    Part of the reason I'm so against another anima isn't simply due to the grind. It's mainly because I haven't decided what tank I would get it for. I see the warrior anima all over the place here, and it's baller looking as hell, but at least as of lvl 55, I tend to favor playing DRK more. It's the damn charge/leap thing.

Went ahead and got the eso weapon for DRK, so maybe I'll just stick to the dark side.

They are 2 way but they aren't interconnected like WoWs FPs. So you can't really run from Coerthas to Southern Tanalan.

I think the most you can get is [butt of the world] -> [Capital of the Area (G/LL/U].
    They are meant for short travel only. Use teleports for long distance travel.
    Thanks for the reply Granyala, I'm level 18 and while the game itself seems pretty good (in terms of I keep firing it up ha) I can't get over the clunky feeling of the combat system. It literally feels like in a raid, instead of needing to be aware of everything at all times, I found myself being able to stare at buttons because it takes "that long" for the GCD, so I'm unsure if there's "a lot" of mechanics in raids to where you won't be able to stare at buttons if you wanted to waiting for them to come off recharge... yea. In relation to WoW, I'm pretty sure it's fairly close to exactly 2 GCDs in WoW. :-/

You know, another thing, as a level 18 MRD, I seem to have two abilities (defensive CDs) that are off the GCD yet they aren't actually "off" the GCD as I still have to wait for my current "cast" to go through before they actually fire. It's just clunky as hell to me from any other MMORPG I've played.
    Last edited by alturic; 2016-05-19 at 07:12 PM.