Well, a good friend and I have decided to take our leave of Balmung at some point before or shortly after 4.0. Aside from the increase in our ping since the server physically moved neither of us really feel like the server is our 'home' anymore for reasons I'll avoid getting into here. We did meet some pretty great people - but keeping in touch with them over Discord is an easy enough affair and we both want a fresh start and to focus on the PvE/PvP side of the game.

Deleted
    thanks a lot for the help guys, I just made a conjurer and boy oh boy it is overwhelming. Taking your advice to keep it simple, one step at a time. I guess the solo lvling experience isn't as good yet as I have to learn the FF way of MMOs.

All in all I'm still very excited. Any EU, FC in Lich/Cerberus?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    You can't get into Ishgard, or any of the other Heavensward areas (where the Dark Knight, Astrologian, and Machinist jobs are unlocked) until you've completed the entire A Realm Reborn series of quests and are able to start the first quest in Heavensward that takes you to Ishgard, with a large portion of them being level 50 quests. Once you get into Ishgard, you can unlock any of those jobs, but that job starts out at level 30 so if you want to use it to continue the Heavensward story with it, you'll need to level it up to level 50 minimum (or whatever level the HW story quest you're doing requires).

Hope this helps clear things up a bit.
    It did, I appreciate it! Do you reccomend leveling through Palace or just do every single quest or as @Graeham said just follow the MSQs? I'm worried that only the MSQs won't get me to max level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    Well, a good friend and I have decided to take our leave of Balmung at some point before or shortly after 4.0. Aside from the increase in our ping since the server physically moved neither of us really feel like the server is our 'home' anymore for reasons I'll avoid getting into here. We did meet some pretty great people - but keeping in touch with them over Discord is an easy enough affair and we both want a fresh start and to focus on the PvE/PvP side of the game.
    I understand! Any tips for the social aspect of the game?

Just follow the story. It used to not be enough to get you to 50 but these days you can basically just follow it and supplement it with the daily dungeon. There is a benefit to doing Place though and that is you can get a 235 or 255 weapon depending on how many runs you do. Nice way to get some instant gear for when you hit 60.

Deleted
    And yah, I'm interested in powerleveling while not missing any important stuff that will hinder me in the long run at max level. 19-23 days for the new expansion

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Just follow the story. It used to not be enough to get you to 50 but these days you can basically just follow it and supplement it with the daily dungeon. There is a benefit to doing Place though and that is you can get a 235 or 255 weapon depending on how many runs you do. Nice way to get some instant gear for when you hit 60.
    Thanks! So I should avoid a lot of the question markers swarming the minimap/map

Quote Originally Posted by Nyriqo View Post
    And yah, I'm interested in powerleveling while not missing any important stuff that will hinder me in the long run at max level. 19-23 days for the new expansion

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! So I should avoid a lot of the question markers swarming the minimap/map
    You can save those for your alts if you want. The ones that have a plus on their icons unlock some form of content so you should try to do those at least.

I've found that most people are pretty friendly in FF14. There's still bad apples though a lot less than in other prominent MMO's. I've made some friends simply through using the party finder - either making my own groups there or joining learning/farm parties for end game content. I can't remember when you unlock it, but typically it's mostly used for end game stuff. It's located at the bottom right hand corner of your screen under the 'party' tab. If you're the FC type, seeking out some sort of 'social' FC would work out well too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, MCH really plays like the last bag'o'fertilizer.
    39 now, last class... need to push. ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Man, MCH really plays like the last bag'o'fertilizer.
    39 now, last class... need to push. ugh.
    The ammo system is soooo clunky when you don't have enough skills

Thankfully it looks like they'll be getting better in SB, I know that the biggest sort of person of interest on youtube and twitch (MrHappy) mains MCN, so once the embargo ends and he can talk about the actual hands on he got, we'll probably know more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    The ammo system is soooo clunky when you don't have enough skills
    I find it most annoying that reapplying the DoT and the +5% stuff actually eats charges.
    Dafuq?

That basically forces me to DoT clip every time it would run out during the duration of pushing out the 3 charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I find it most annoying that reapplying the DoT and the +5% stuff actually eats charges.
    Dafuq?

That basically forces me to DoT clip every time it would run out during the duration of pushing out the 3 charges.
    It requires a lot of consciousness to your actions, even minor things, like not reloading before you get HS/LS out, I'd call it the most complex class out of all of them from that angle, but not in the way that's good design or fun to play

thanks a lot for the help guys, I just made a conjurer and boy oh boy it is overwhelming. Taking your advice to keep it simple, one step at a time. I guess the solo lvling experience isn't as good yet as I have to learn the FF way of MMOs.

All in all I'm still very excited. Any EU, FC in Lich/Cerberus?

- - - Updated - - -

It did, I appreciate it! Do you reccomend leveling through Palace or just do every single quest or as @Graeham said just follow the MSQs? I'm worried that only the MSQs won't get me to max level.
    Doing the MSQ alone won't be sufficient to get you to max level, and it leaves you just short of some MSQ quests even in the mid 30's. I'm playing a new character now to experience the story again since I haven't experience the ARR story of the HW since the launch of their respective content. For first timers, I recommend doing as many side quests as you can stomach for the xp, but also for the world building they do. I would go so far as to say doing all of the quests with the + attached to them is a requirement as those quests unlock content of some sort.

PotD is a really easy way to get the extra xp to fill the gap should you be just a little shy of the next level needed to continue the story quest. It's also a very easy way to test and level new jobs because you level independently inside PotD, so you can go in as an actual level 1 Archer, but inside PotD your Archer could be level 60 with all of the skills a level 60 Archer would have. As you finish a set of floors and leave you get actual class experience that is applied your actual character level. Getting a sub class or secondary class to level 15 doesn't take very long and to unlock White Mage at Conjurer level 30 you'll need to have Arcanist to level 15. The gap issue becomes very prevalent ~35-40 when you're in Coerthas Central Highlands. But there are generally enough side quests in the area, that also lead you to other areas, to get you enough xp I only had to do PotD maybe 2-3 times within that level range to be OK.

That said, I highly recommend unlocking floors 51-60 ASAP so you can use them to grind out the xp as those floors are generally the fastest time wise and are therefore the most efficient at giving xp. It's very possible for a run from 51-60 to only take ~15 minutes, and from levels 1-50 give as many as 3 levels, when under level 15, and after that give no less than ~30% of a level the closer you get to 50.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Doing the MSQ alone won't be sufficient to get you to max level, and it leaves you just short of some MSQ quests even in the mid 30's. I'm playing a new character now to experience the story again since I haven't experience the ARR story of the HW since the launch of their respective content. For first timers, I recommend doing as many side quests as you can stomach for the xp, but also for the world building they do. I would go so far as to say doing all of the quests with the + attached to them is a requirement as those quests unlock content of some sort.

PotD is a really easy way to get the extra xp to fill the gap should you be just a little shy of the next level needed to continue the story quest. It's also a very easy way to test and level new jobs because you level independently inside PotD, so you can go in as an actual level 1 Archer, but inside PotD your Archer could be level 60 with all of the skills a level 60 Archer would have. As you finish a set of floors and leave you get actual class experience that is applied your actual character level. Getting a sub class or secondary class to level 15 doesn't take very long and to unlock White Mage at Conjurer level 30 you'll need to have Arcanist to level 15. The gap issue becomes very prevalent ~35-40 when you're in Coerthas Central Highlands. But there are generally enough side quests in the area, that also lead you to other areas, to get you enough xp I only had to do PotD maybe 2-3 times within that level range to be OK.

That said, I highly recommend unlocking floors 51-60 ASAP so you can use them to grind out the xp as those floors are generally the fastest time wise and are therefore the most efficient at giving xp. It's very possible for a run from 51-60 to only take ~15 minutes, and from levels 1-50 give as many as 3 levels, when under level 15, and after that give no less than ~30% of a level the closer you get to 50.
    I understand and as I'm loving the game so far I'm doing every single quest with a + sign next to them and some others for xp. Here's the thing tho, I can't go to potd, is there a hidden level requisite (as in you must have a XX main level)?

I understand and as I'm loving the game so far I'm doing every single quest with a + sign next to them and some others for xp. Here's the thing tho, I can't go to potd, is there a hidden level requisite (as in you must have a XX main level)?
    It unlocks through the level 17 quest The House that Death Built, which in turn requires you have complete a MSQ that has you complete the dungeon Copperbell Mines. So just keep doing all those MSQs with the fiery meteor symbol and you'll get there before too long.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2017-05-28 at 04:54 PM.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    It unlocks through the level 17 quest The House that Death Built, which in turn requires you have complete a MSQ that has you complete the dungeon Copperbell Mines. So just keep doing all those MSQs with the fiery meteor symbol and you'll get there before too long.
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

I wanna thank all of you guys, I'm level 12 atm and properly well-established in the game thanks to you all!

Good to know there is this cool community in MMO-C

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veluren View Post
    It requires a lot of consciousness to your actions, even minor things, like not reloading before you get HS/LS out, I'd call it the most complex class out of all of them from that angle, but not in the way that's good design or fun to play
    I find it most annoying that I have to watch my bars like a hawk in order to gauge whether I have proc or need to keep mashing [1].
    For classes like this, weak auras sure is a boon.

@Scufflegrit beat me to it =P

Good to know you're enjoying the game. We'll be here if you have any other questions =)

15+ Year Old Account
    Where do I go for a static? I am afeared of one, especially since we don't know if red mage is going to be good.

Try to start a conversation in chat when you do group content. Many peolpe are scared of taking the initiative but they usually warm up and start talking if someone starts a conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    That's unfortunate. Going to move to one of the new EU servers when they open?

Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    That's unfortunate. Going to move to one of the new EU servers when they open?
    Yep, that's the most likely option! Perfect for a fresh start and everybody will be on equal footing in regards to house acquisition.