Quick aside - so apparently the squadrons functionality is coming so I can run a dungeon with them. I can't wait to parse them. I'd be curious if they outdps/heal pugs. If that's the case then LOL. Otherwise, it's just a semi-useless feature for me personally (I get insta' queues) and better mates in df. REALLY curious how that feature is going to play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Resiak View Post
    Well, maybe one. There is a subset that feels their character is theres and take offense to people posting info on their character without consent. Is this a wrong sentiment to have? Possibly. But their out there.

In FF11, I remember there was an issue where JP players didn't like American players. They felt American players where rude. One of the reasons? When you inspected a player, it gave that player a message that they where being inspected. So for the Japanese, you should always send a message asking if you could inspect. Most American players of course didn't do this. Kind of weird and petty? Yes, but it was a thing.

I would say your types are accurate, minus that one slightly odd offset of people. I think i'd fall in between 1 and three. I'm not the greatest, but I'm not neccessarily bad. I learn my rotation, generally am reliable in staying out of the bad. I'll usually be the top dps in 4 mans, and in the top 2 for 8 mans unless seriously out geared. If i'm healing, I don't usually miss heals, and add a fair amount of damage. But I don't study openers, don't usually carry consumables for increased dps except food. But I also don't care about savage, so I'm fine for my preferred content.
    I think you either fit into 1 or 3. In regards to your first bit about another subset I'm not sure I agree. If they're offended their character is out there, it's because they're bad, thus #2.

I haven't seen any evidence of a player with good logs who is mad that the info is out there. Your JP example I have no insight on, but is it just as possible that they hated american players because they're universally known to strongly dislike any and all outsiders? I don't think the inspection bit was the main, or even a relevant focus, but again, I have no insight so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I wouldn't care. I'm surprised it's just NOW becoming an issue. Ever since those kinds of sites and tools became available I fully expected my information/ logs to end up all over the place from people posting it. It's not private information, it's not even your information to get mad about, it belongs to the developer.

Worst case it shows you have sub par performance and need to improve...which is something a fairly large portion of the games population can identify with. Best case it shows you're fine or better.

While I do see why some people might get bent out of shape over it, as it's putting you on blast when you never said you wanted to be, but I think those people just need to get over it as it's really not that big of a deal and no one signed anything regarding the usage of the public data so anyone who gets it can use it for whatever they want.
    You almost literally described my 3 scenario bit lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Just keep in mind if this turns sour and people start being asshats about the posted logs showing how bad people are and making that their focus, Yoshida & team might feel compelled to change their current stance on looking the other way.

They care more about fostering a positive community than epeen contests.
    Casualty already covered it, but there's almost literally nothing they can do it punish it that they aren't doing already. I.e. punishing specific occurrences with evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by The Casualty View Post
    logging via fflogs would be far harder to punish than active parsing, like ACT. There is no immediate feedback that might indicate a person is logging a run, and logs are not necessarily attached to a player in game, but rather an account on fflogs, and that can even be made private.

Furthermore, the people who use the information to belittle others may not have had anything to do with the creation of the log.

I'm still a firm believer that we shouldn't attack the tool, but the behavior. Belittling people for any reason could constitute harassment and should be dealt with harshly.
    Agreed. Especially that last bit. That's my stance on harassment to the T.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember during the Gruul/Magtheridon period of TBC, ol' Faroth here was lower on the DPS charts, but my raid loved me. Survival wasn't considered the "optimal" raid hunter at the time, but having 1 survival was great because of the "increase all DPS" debuff they applied on the enemy for basically entire fights. It was sort of a "sacrifice your standing on the charts to the benefit of everyone else" sorta thing.

So yeah, definitely more to raid performance than a single DPS' personal performance. As Dark Legacy once noted, don't tunnel vision so you're "winning on threat, winning on threat!"
    Honey, I was a shadow priest. Do I need to say more?
    PS: I was ALWAYS winning on threat. Who cares about DPS when you can aggro the boss at a whim?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I forgot about those, too...I've got FATE PTSD thanks to last year's Yo-Kai, though, so give me a break!
    There's no returning from that point.

"I can imagine how thrilled you must feel, having obtained long sought-after rewards."

Spoiler: 

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    There's no returning from that point.

"I can imagine how thrilled you must feel, having obtained long sought-after rewards."

Spoiler: 
    Irony; I have the warlion and it was nowhere near as awful to obtain as that glowing derpmobile was. Between WT clears and having done the tank anima weapons, those mounts are pretty easy to obtain now.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Honey, I was a shadow priest. Do I need to say more?
    PS: I was ALWAYS winning on threat. Who cares about DPS when you can aggro the boss at a whim?
    You mean a mana battery? I remember those days when I was doing Kara, specifically Curator, and Gruul when we needed at least one S.Priest and a Survival hunter for mana regen and CC since Hunter traps weren't 100% effective, except for Surv Hunters that had a talent that buffed their trap success rate to 100% on all enemy types that were susceptible.

I personally ran BM Hunter back then and remember the stupid aimed shot macro (or whatever the short casted ability name was that you weaved between auto shots) and was top 3 all the time.

As far as FATE's go, after leveling all of my classes in 2.0 from 15-50 (except my main job of Bard at the time) using FATEs, and then again doing that in 3.0 from 50-60 using FATEs and roulettes, and relic and anima grinding I'm mostly done with FATEs. Yo-kai event held absolutely zero interest for me as the weapons were all ugly or too cartoonishly stylized that I would never use them and the derp-mobile just looks ridiculous and therefore i'd never use it.

You mean a mana battery? I remember those days when I was doing Kara, specifically Curator, and Gruul when we needed at least one S.Priest and a Survival hunter for mana regen and CC since Hunter traps weren't 100% effective, except for Surv Hunters that had a talent that buffed their trap success rate to 100% on all enemy types that were susceptible.
    And could dual trap! >:3

Trap, trap, kite, pet tank, wyvern sting = "You guys kill one mob, I'll keep the rest busy. The wyvern sting should wake up when you finish off the first one, so kill him next." I loved TBC Survival so much.

And could dual trap! >:3

Trap, trap, kite, pet tank, wyvern sting = "You guys kill one mob, I'll keep the rest busy. The wyvern sting should wake up when you finish off the first one, so kill him next." I loved TBC Survival so much.
    Yeah, being a Hunter in TBC was awesome. Good ones were sought after, and back then without LFD and LFR reputation meant everything, so you'd get recruited left and right for all kinds of stuff if you were a good one.

Meanwhile, I was the crit/hit bot thanks to the original Totem of Wrath...

Couple that with being a leather worker, and when I joined a T6/Sunwell guild, I was a permanent fixture in the group with the GM (who was surv hunter).

TBC was a good time. Not perfect; I do not miss having spell power split off as a different stat from healing power at all.

More on the FF14 topic: Leveling SAM from 60-70 now that RDM is done. Found out the hard way that the kenki gain for some of the combos is positional based...something I never picked up while leveling in PotD. Just another example of how that place doesn't really let you learn how to play a job properly.

Meanwhile, I was the crit/hit bot thanks to the original Totem of Wrath...

Couple that with being a leather worker, and when I joined a T6/Sunwell guild, I was a permanent fixture in the group with the GM (who was surv hunter).

TBC was a good time. Not perfect; I do not miss having spell power split off as a different stat from healing power at all.

More on the FF14 topic: Leveling SAM from 60-70 now that RDM is done. Found out the hard way that the kenki gain for some of the combos is positional based...something I never picked up while leveling in PotD. Just another example of how that place doesn't really let you learn how to play a job properly.
    It's really the worst for melee. but then again, soloing through fates or quests is usually not going to teach you positionals unless you have a chocobo who can tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    You mean a mana battery?
    Precisely.
    A unique role of support Blizzard axed because of too many "muh wanna real DPS" complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by blackblade View Post
    It's really the worst for melee. but then again, soloing through fates or quests is usually not going to teach you positionals unless you have a chocobo who can tank.
    But hey, at least FATEs can teach people how to AoE properly...

...ha, just kidding. The amount of times I get a BLM in a random group with me who doesn't aoe on 5+ targets (even when 3+ calls for it) is mind boggling.

PotD is particularly bad for melee since if you get grouped with a bunch of ranged dps, unless their aetherpool is ass, they'll blow things up before you ever get in range to take a swing.

But hey, at least FATEs can teach people how to AoE properly...

...ha, just kidding. The amount of times I get a BLM in a random group with me who doesn't aoe on 5+ targets (even when 3+ calls for it) is mind boggling.

PotD is particularly bad for melee since if you get grouped with a bunch of ranged dps, unless their aetherpool is ass, they'll blow things up before you ever get in range to take a swing.
    SAM has a ranged attack!

.....one ranged attack!

SAM has a ranged attack!

.....one ranged attack!
    Hey, it's better than MNK, where your "ranged attack" is shoulder tackle...or as I would refer to it in PotD, kamikaze (since I would hit a landmine 9/10 times I used ST).

Precisely.
    A unique role of support Blizzard axed because of too many "muh wanna real DPS" complaints.
    Negative

That stuff got axed because it made them too mandatory. They axed a lot of that stuff after they tried overlapping the buffs to make it more mainstream and decided it didn't work the way the wanted too. I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about DPS back then.

They brought some of it back in SoO/WoD when they moved to the 20 man mythic format. I even had some in Legion. I loved losing 3% of my damage so I could give mana per 5 to healers. If it was 100% mandatory to have me there for that effect I'd have no issue with doing less DPS because of a beneficial effect, but if it's merely icing or flavor, no thanks I'll take my damage.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2017-09-27 at 08:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecktangle View Post
    That stuff got axed because it made them too mandatory. They axed a lot of that stuff after they tried overlapping the buffs to make it more mainstream and decided it didn't work the way the wanted too. I don't recall seeing or hearing anything about DPS back then.
    True, it was kinda annoying having to cancel raids b/c of a lack of SPriests / shamans.

I think the "real DPS" complaints picked up a lot in wrath, where our support was already watered down yet we were still pretty far behind.

I miss playing a rogue in the days of Vanilla, BC, and early WotLK and supplying absolutely no buffs to anyone. The only thing I brought to the table was damage, and we did that in spades.

Although, looking back, I do like the strides that Blizzard made to make other playstyles and specs viable, and I get that buff synergies was one method to achieve that.

Hey, it's better than MNK, where your "ranged attack" is shoulder tackle...or as I would refer to it in PotD, kamikaze (since I would hit a landmine 9/10 times I used ST).
    I just got RDM from 50 to 60 and became very knowledgeable about how easy it is to set off traps when jumping forward and back...

True, it was kinda annoying having to cancel raids b/c of a lack of SPriests / shamans.

I think the "real DPS" complaints picked up a lot in wrath, where our support was already watered down yet we were still pretty far behind.
    yeah it's possible. I wouldn't know though as I was crushing it then. Everything was undead and I had Seal of Martyr so I was just murdering everything as a Ret. I had a harder time in Ulduar than most (grr getting rid of Martyr), but I made it through, only to get perfect BiS (including the guilds first shadowmourne) and had consistent 99-100% parses on worldoflogs through ICC/RS.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I just got RDM from 50 to 60 and became very knowledgeable about how easy it is to set off traps when jumping forward and back...

With all that forward and back, you only needed to put one foot forward. Then you likely wouldn't step on the traps.

I'll see myself out...

Oddly enough, I think I can count one time I've actually landed on a mine with the backflip. My rule of thumb is to always backflip the way I came into the room, but being on RDM, it's very easy to just pull mobs into corridors, where it's much safer to fight them.

I actually had a spincter-squeezer of a moment on floor 91 the other day while soloing; walked toward a chest, triggered a mine, which also hit (and aggroed) 2 of those palace swarm mobs that were pretty much in the wall, so I didn't see them at first. Frantic moment, to say the least, but nothing Vercures and a sustain potion couldn't fix.

Deleted
    After 70 I thought doing the ala mhigo dungeon over and over again would be good.

But I somehow realized I'm always the guy with lowest HP as bard and it's always me that dies. I don't understand why I die in the last 30% of 2nd boss and it seems there is a mechanic I don't get on final boss in his <50% phase. I get flamed a lot and wonder... That's it for me: I don't see it, can't handle it and should play single player games. Have you ever felt that way?