1. #44441
    We need another healer ffs!

  2. #44442
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    Not sure if serious... as there's only one new DPS job. >.>
    Little you know, people in duty finder will play gunbreaker as a dps and however they want because "ITS COOL" and when you point out that they should tank will slap you "You don't pay my sub, kick me if you wanna wait queue again".

    Source: am a healer, have seen too much shit in DF over the years.
    Quote Originally Posted by sillag View Post
    if you play horde after elegy, you literally do not have a soul.

  3. #44443
    Bloodsail Admiral Dugna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    1,037
    they didn't show Minfillia's job in the trust system so we might get annother reveal later it just feels bad to not have another healer.

  4. #44444
    Tbh while i'm sad that there is no healer reveal, i'm also relieved it's not a dancer healer. For some strange reason Dancer healer just seem goofy to me. Shadow/Void based healer like defiler from RIFT or melee armored cleric healer would be much more interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by sillag View Post
    if you play horde after elegy, you literally do not have a soul.

  5. #44445
    The operatic music at the beginning of the cinematic is absolutely lovely. I hope it's a fullblown piece that will come with the OST, rather than just trailer music.

    It's crazy to look back and remember how optimistic r/FFXIV was yesterday. Now all I see is salt.

    I'm on board for Dancers being ranged DPS; ranged chakram users are among one of my most favorite archetypes and heavily under-represented in modern RPGs.

    A beastial race is cool, but the Hrothgar models don't look that interesting, as they look to humanoid. They stand up straight and don't have thick fur. I disagree with the "they're just reskinned Roe" criticism I've seen on the subreddit but they definitely look like a generic beast race from EQ. Contrast that with say, the Charr from GW2, who very much looked like beasts: they were hunched over, had long manes of hair, and even ran on all fours (RIP plainsrunning Tauren).

    Not sure how they could've made male Viera look anything other than male Mi'qote/Hyur with bunny ears. That said, given how much complaining there was about female Au Ra "not looking tough" there was on the official forums, I wonder if we're going to see a similar reaction given that there will be no female Hrothgar.

    The environment art on the First shard is gorgeous. The contrast of the blue water and flora in the Lakeland juxtaposed with the golden hue clouds is stunning. The slides seem to indicate that Fullmore will be the next city hub, but I'm hoping that the Crystarium is a full on player hub city with an inn and housing district. I love the glass + flora architecture.

    I wonder if I can get that Dwarf armor. Reminds me of Vivi with the yellow eyes poking out of the blackness, and the white beard looks cute too.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Yup: lots of "I'm unsubbing over this/refuse to support SE because of gender-locked races" comments on the subreddit and official forums.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2019-03-23 at 06:33 AM.

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - Druid / Steam / MyAnimeList / IMDB - - - - - - - - - - - -

  6. #44446
    Elemental Lord Poppincaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Twilight Town
    Posts
    8,455
    So to anyone complaining about not having a new healer, it is totally your right to be upset. If you're a healer main of course you're going to want a new job to mess around with. That being said, these two jobs are what's best for the game. There were only 2 physical ranged jobs in the game, so they had to include another one to bring it up to the rest of the roles. Then they had to decide between healer and tank. Considering tank is the least played role, this was clearly the right choice. Give people a new tank to generate some interest in the role, as well as a higher level one so that people can get into tanking relatively quickly.

    The next expac will likely be Healer/Caster so you'll get your time to shine eventually.

  7. #44447
    Elemental Lord Flutterguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Derpifornia
    Posts
    8,060
    The Hrothgar are straight up male Ronso from FF10. I hope their models get some refinement, but I like the idea of them.

  8. #44448
    What's the lore behind genderlocking them to males only btw? Never heard about their race before.
    Quote Originally Posted by sillag View Post
    if you play horde after elegy, you literally do not have a soul.

  9. #44449
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    18,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    I'd like to be a male Viera.

    There's no excuse for genderlock nonsense in modern mmos.
    Just because our human culture is inclusive to the very extremes of hilarity, does not mean that cultures of fantasy races have to be.
    I welcome the boldness of doing this, even though I won't ever play any different character myself.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    We need another healer ffs!
    Why?
    AST is already a carbon copy of WHM or SCH.

    I think the main reason for not doing another healer is because they couldn't come up with a concept that felt different enough to warrant a new class.

  10. #44450
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Why?
    AST is already a carbon copy of WHM or SCH.
    Tbh i think most people are disappointed not specifically because there is no new healer job, but because healer classes are so similar and healing is so stale that they hoped for any kind of meta shakup, new healer was just a best candidate to cause that. Now we are doomed to do the same thing we did for 2 expacks already, maybe with some new doodads from new levels.

    And yeah, just as you said, they literally have healer with hots, healer with shields, and the only thing their imagination allowed them to do when they wanted to add a new healer was to make one that can do either, and throw in some buffs as a bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by sillag View Post
    if you play horde after elegy, you literally do not have a soul.

  11. #44451
    Now to wait for the benchmark (probably mid May since the one for SB was May 1st for a June 20th release) to make the perfect Hrothgar to Fantasia my main and to create my first alt with a Viera.

  12. #44452
    The Insane Granyala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arkon-III
    Posts
    18,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistrem View Post
    Tbh i think most people are disappointed not specifically because there is no new healer job, but because healer classes are so similar and healing is so stale that they hoped for any kind of meta shakup, new healer was just a best candidate to cause that. Now we are doomed to do the same thing we did for 2 expacks already, maybe with some new doodads from new levels.
    In order to change up the healing they would basically have to redesign the whole game.

    What we do as healers is dictated by the encounter design. I don't think SE wants to fundamentally change a winning formula, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any drastic changes to how healers approach the game. The fact that we spend so much time DPSing is already rather unorthodox, if you compare it to WoW style MMOs.

  13. #44453
    just rewatched the stream and noticed dancer's weapons are just called "throwing weapons" and not chakrams only and they mentioned they could have throwing knives and shurikens etc. sounds awesome.

  14. #44454
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Just because our human culture is inclusive to the very extremes of hilarity, does not mean that cultures of fantasy races have to be.
    I welcome the boldness of doing this, even though I won't ever play any different character myself.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Why?
    AST is already a carbon copy of WHM or SCH.

    I think the main reason for not doing another healer is because they couldn't come up with a concept that felt different enough to warrant a new class.
    It's really not bold. It's just irritating design in an MMO.

    I mean at least it's not classes like Tera but still.

  15. #44455
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Why?
    AST is already a carbon copy of WHM or SCH.

    I think the main reason for not doing another healer is because they couldn't come up with a concept that felt different enough to warrant a new class.
    Ironically, coming up with a new niche for a healer is easy. Make one that has super powerful direct heals and nothing else and you've made one that doesn't yet exist. The problem is there's no space in the game for a healer like that. By design, healers are required to all have similar basic tools that allow them to function, lacking one or more of those would make a healer all but inoperable for certain content.

    Squenix have created a very limited design space for themselves, where having Jobs that perform niche roles is all but out of the question. A role is expected to be able to perform all of their responsabilities without exception, while also having their own unique gimick to deal with. While that can create some interesting game play, it also requires all Jobs of the same role to be able to perform the same functions. Hence why they can feel quite samey - They've all got the same basic toolkit to work with.

    Adding something new and interesting in that kind of framework is going to mean essentially adding more gimicks to existing jobs. There's only so far you can really push that before it starts to become awkward and forced.

    The more interesting way to do it would be to create jobs that are intentionally flawed from the ground up. Having an intended weakness allows for intended strengths as well, so you could excel at one role, but be far less effective outside of that. Unfortunately to implement that would require a complete overhaul of every Job from the ground up, which is far too much work at this point in time.

  16. #44456
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Ironically, coming up with a new niche for a healer is easy. Make one that has super powerful direct heals and nothing else and you've made one that doesn't yet exist. The problem is there's no space in the game for a healer like that. By design, healers are required to all have similar basic tools that allow them to function, lacking one or more of those would make a healer all but inoperable for certain content.

    Squenix have created a very limited design space for themselves, where having Jobs that perform niche roles is all but out of the question. A role is expected to be able to perform all of their responsabilities without exception, while also having their own unique gimick to deal with. While that can create some interesting game play, it also requires all Jobs of the same role to be able to perform the same functions. Hence why they can feel quite samey - They've all got the same basic toolkit to work with.

    Adding something new and interesting in that kind of framework is going to mean essentially adding more gimicks to existing jobs. There's only so far you can really push that before it starts to become awkward and forced.

    The more interesting way to do it would be to create jobs that are intentionally flawed from the ground up. Having an intended weakness allows for intended strengths as well, so you could excel at one role, but be far less effective outside of that. Unfortunately to implement that would require a complete overhaul of every Job from the ground up, which is far too much work at this point in time.
    Ironically, most of the problems you mentioned are how Blizzard moved from WotLK to Legion gameplay over years.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

  17. #44457
    The Insane unholytestament's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In a society.
    Posts
    15,004
    Genderlocking races now just feels like a step backward. It also feels pretty damn deceptive of them to not just say from the start that they would be genderlocked, instead dodging questions and pretty much just saying "wait and see". What was the point?

  18. #44458
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Genderlocking races now just feels like a step backward. It also feels pretty damn deceptive of them to not just say from the start that they would be genderlocked, instead dodging questions and pretty much just saying "wait and see". What was the point?
    They said : "We put Viera lore into the game, pay close attention to it."
    In the lore dump the dude (who is kind of an insert for Matsuno) keeps repeating how rare and reclusive the Male Viera are, even stating "They simply do not exist to us."
    Some people's reaction : "So they do exist! We'll have Male Viera then"...
    And they wanted to make Hrothgar a surpise I'm sure (which got leaked by an error in the French Client) and since they were also old leaks floating around with Female Viera only + Male Ronso Race, them saying "No male Viera!" would have just validate those old leaks and ruined the surprise.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2019-03-23 at 04:23 PM.

  19. #44459
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    In order to change up the healing they would basically have to redesign the whole game.

    What we do as healers is dictated by the encounter design. I don't think SE wants to fundamentally change a winning formula, so I wouldn't hold my breath for any drastic changes to how healers approach the game. The fact that we spend so much time DPSing is already rather unorthodox, if you compare it to WoW style MMOs.
    Turret Healing with trees!

    - - - Updated - - -

    And a jesus beam

  20. #44460

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •