Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    How can anybody itch for overworld combat? It's the most lame and tedious aspect of any MMO.... on any class b/c mobs are punching bags with a ton pf HP and 0 abilities of consequence. IMHO combat is only fun in dungeons/raids, which is why I find WoWs modern design of forcing you into combat at every step so obnoxious.
    I just said combat. There are many stretches in the MSQ where you draw your weapon once or twice in an hour or more. If the story isn’t all that enticing to you that would feel pretty awful IMO.

I disagree that combat can only feel fun in dungeons and raids, but totally agree that wows design of it being everywhere all the time is too much. I just think FFXIV goes a little too far in the other direction. I don’t think a little more would be a bad thing. With the trust system now they could spice up solo combat missions to feel more like group combat.

I also disagree that it’s the most lame and tedious experience of any MMO. In many, yes it’s true. But there are some where it’s not bad because of how good the combat feels and how much fun playing some classes is. Playing a Vengeance Juggernaut in SWToR is some of the most fun I’ve had in the overworld. Blade and Soul also has many fun areas because you get to use all your skills and just killing things can be really fun.

Dungeons and raids are more fun, definitely, but that doesn’t mean everything else has to be boring and tedious.

I feel like if you're not playing FF14 for the story then you're doing something wrong.

Also the idea that non-combat scenarios are "boring and tedious." The best part of the game is the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshingo View Post
    I feel like if you're not playing FF14 for the story then you're doing something wrong.

Also the idea that non-combat scenarios are "boring and tedious." The best part of the game is the story.
    I mean, stormblood's story was kind of eh... this one is great, but the end game is what I play for too. FFXIV endgame is really fun for me.

FYI Maintenance done early.

I mean the official launch is tomorrow so that's probably why lol
    o shit.. i forgot the expansion actually launches tomorrow.. haha I've been playing it all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I mean, stormblood's story was kind of eh... this one is great, but the end game is what I play for too. FFXIV endgame is really fun for me.

FYI Maintenance done early.
    I think you had to care enough about Ala Mhigo for you to actually care about 4.0. I didn't really, so I wasn't the biggest fan of it.

However I thought the patch story was quite fantastic.

I think you had to care enough about Ala Mhigo for you to actually care about 4.0. I didn't really, so I wasn't the biggest fan of it.

However I thought the patch story was quite fantastic.
    I started liking it more as it moved away from "Stormblood" and more towards "Shadowbringers" the story so far in ShB is fantastic though. Just killed Titania prior to the maitenance, doing my custom deliveries right now before bed so I can take advantage of the weekly reset lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Well that final arc from 79-80 + post credit story was incredible. I cannot waaait for the extreme version of that trial holy crap.
    That fight was just pure fun.

I have to say this is hands down my favorite expansion. I loved the changes to DRK, the music, the dungeons, the trials, the story and the ending. Baring several slow parts I was never bored. Seems everyone in my clan feels the same that everything 79+ is just flat out amazing. Easy 10/10, well done ff14 team!

Did they implement the New Game+ yet? So you can replay the MSQ? I'd love it to level some other classes.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Did they implement the New Game+ yet? So you can replay the MSQ? I'd love it to level some other classes.
    No, that's coming in 5.1 - so likely sometime around September.

I hope we can do New Game+ multiple times. I'd happily do it, just for Shadowbringers alone. I'm curious as to what the carrots on a stick will be to encourage people to do it too.

since their support system sucks coming here to asks. Has anyone else had issues redeeming their codes? I have FF 14 through heaven's sword and skipped stormblood but pre-ordered shadowbringers since it includes stormblood, however my code is invalid. I got the game for PC (not steam). I've opened a ticket but their support basically said that's not possible and if the code didn't work i got the wrong version.. yeah ok, that didn't happen. I did go to the squarewhatever/na site entered the first code, got the code for the mog station and that's where it says not valid. the first 2 versions i got physical copies of, but shadowbringers i did digital download (though note I don't see a way to download it from the store under my account...)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

My collectors edition for PS4 just arrived. Love the special edition cover art and the statue feels like moulded plastic and not one of those crappy plaster ones that turn to powder over time you see in a lot of modern collectors editions. Havent checked out the artbook yet but i entered the code on PSN, relogged and grabbed my wind up fran and i'm good to go!

-and by got i mean get from 79-80 and finish the launch story

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Nah dude. It's balls or no balls when the boss is at 1% and you are a melee DPS when mechanics start.
    And that's how sub 1% wipes happen. Guess the boss had the bigger balls after all.

Got to the final secret zone and boy is the timing of WoW's 8.2 looking like a funny comparison now.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Got to the final secret zone and boy is the timing of WoW's 8.2 looking like a funny comparison now.
    Secret zone? what? can you give me a hint? is it required for the story, is it optional?

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    Secret zone? what? can you give me a hint? is it required for the story, is it optional?
    They only showed 5 in the media but when you open the aether tracking thing it shows 6. The 6th like Azys La opens near the end of the story spoiler: An island in lakeland turns out to be The firsts Bismark and you ride him to the ocean floor where bismark creates a huge bubble over a zone thats half coral reefs and sea floor and half a giant city, straight up final fantasy Bioshock

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    WoW has a long long history of timing their releases around its competitors.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

I agree with the story part, I'm on the same page as you and Granyala on this, but after playing through the story of ARR, HW and SB on alts at least once I totally understand how some people can get bored of it/ aren't as excited by it. If story just isn't that important to you, slogging through it to get to the parts of the game you want is a chore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    No, that's coming in 5.1 - so likely sometime around September.

I hope we can do New Game+ multiple times. I'd happily do it, just for Shadowbringers alone. I'm curious as to what the carrots on a stick will be to encourage people to do it too.
    According to Yoshi in one of the last interviews prior to launch, or maybe it was a live letter or something, he went into a little how NG+ is going to work.

I'm not sure exactly how this translates into current story vs NG+ stuff (when you're on NG+ can you still progress the regular MSQ?), but he said that you're not going to be able to pick and choose which things you experience, you're going to basically start a "new game" and go through the full MSQ for that expansion/ content from beginning to end.

We'll get more info closer to 5.1 I'm sure, but if that's the case I'm kind of excited because that means there will be a very consistent and reliable method of leveling alts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    since their support system sucks coming here to asks. Has anyone else had issues redeeming their codes? I have FF 14 through heaven's sword and skipped stormblood but pre-ordered shadowbringers since it includes stormblood, however my code is invalid. I got the game for PC (not steam). I've opened a ticket but their support basically said that's not possible and if the code didn't work i got the wrong version.. yeah ok, that didn't happen. I did go to the squarewhatever/na site entered the first code, got the code for the mog station and that's where it says not valid. the first 2 versions i got physical copies of, but shadowbringers i did digital download (though note I don't see a way to download it from the store under my account...)
    Are you trying to redeem the pre-order code instead of the game code?

Since you pre-ordered you should have 2 things on your store account.

1) Shadowbringers Expansion
    2) Shadowbringers Pre-Order Bonus

The Expansion codes just started going out today, but the Pre-order Bonus code has been available for a little while. Make sure you're trying to redeem the right one in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    WoW has a long long history of timing their releases around its competitors.
    Not that, the content.

- - - Updated - - -

Level 80. RDM get!

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    I agree with the story part, I'm on the same page as you and Granyala on this, but after playing through the story of ARR, HW and SB on alts at least once I totally understand how some people can get bored of it/ aren't as excited by it. If story just isn't that important to you, slogging through it to get to the parts of the game you want is a chore.

- - - Updated - - -

According to Yoshi in one of the last interviews prior to launch, or maybe it was a live letter or something, he went into a little how NG+ is going to work.

I'm not sure exactly how this translates into current story vs NG+ stuff (when you're on NG+ can you still progress the regular MSQ?), but he said that you're not going to be able to pick and choose which things you experience, you're going to basically start a "new game" and go through the full MSQ for that expansion/ content from beginning to end.

We'll get more info closer to 5.1 I'm sure, but if that's the case I'm kind of excited because that means there will be a very consistent and reliable method of leveling alts.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you trying to redeem the pre-order code instead of the game code?

Since you pre-ordered you should have 2 things on your store account.

1) Shadowbringers Expansion
    2) Shadowbringers Pre-Order Bonus

The Expansion codes just started going out today, but the Pre-order Bonus code has been available for a little while. Make sure you're trying to redeem the right one in the right place.
    hmmm i checked this AM at like 0500 EST and only had one code, i'll check again when i get home.. cause it was only one code under pre-order.. that would make sense if there should be 2 codes.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    How can anybody itch for overworld combat? It's the most lame and tedious aspect of any MMO.... on any class b/c mobs are punching bags with a ton pf HP and 0 abilities of consequence. IMHO combat is only fun in dungeons/raids, which is why I find WoWs modern design of forcing you into combat at every step so obnoxious.
    This is pretty strange thing to say when your main examples are WoW and FFXIV. Not every game has faceroll open world.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though