Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Some mobs will automatically target a random player to do an ability and then immediately return to you, which can sometimes cause them to turn. I always have Target of Target turned on so I always know who the mob is attacking. The only time you should be moving is to avoid an ability that is usually telegraphed on the ground, but higher end fights don't have the ground telegraph but the monster does still usually have a cast bar or obvious animation to indicate they are about to blow you up.

Running away from a mob doesn't usually protect you from their normal attacks, and causes targetting issues for the other members in your party.

Just try to ensure the mobs are in front of you, because you can't block or parry attacks from behind, pop your defensive cooldowns and let your healer do they're job too. If you're not actively generating threat on the mobs (which you generally can't really do when you're running around) then they'll start attacking your healer eventually, and then you're really going to have a bad time.
    ill keep that inmind. I have tanked before in other MMO's but each one works a bit different.

/10char

I really do feel I'm not getting much of a XP buff for having a level 50.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Woot today is a special day. I ment my first A-hole of a player lol.

I was doing the Guildhist Basic Training: Enemy Parties level 10. I was on the last mob that has the big guy and like 6 others and I had full argo on everything. I was spinning them around a bit to keep the little ones from hitting me so much and someone got mad because of it.

Me keeping on moving means I get hit less lol since I was right out of range of there attack and I didn't know if the healer could heal it all.

I know in later dungeons and what not I mite not need to so much.
    Are you talking about the red telegraphs? You can move out of those without moving the mobs, just have to time it right and that's where the "challenge" in tanking comes in.

A lot tanks I see are always shifting their positioning due to avoiding telegprahs but not returning to their original position and thus forcing mdps to constantly adjust and annoying them :P
    Last edited by blackpink; 2014-08-08 at 04:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dk3790 View Post
    A lot tanks I see are always shifting their positioning due to avoiding telegprahs but not returning to their original position and thus forcing mdps to constantly adjust and annoying them :P
    It was just on the last pull of the guild hist I had around 9 add's on me and the boss so I was kiting them a little to avoid the little add's melee range. I didn't think the healer could keep me up.

As for the telegprahs I do move out and back to my original position. ill just tank the add's/boss and if I drop dead so be it lol. It was just a level 10 guild hist and as I said I just felt the healer couldn't keep me up.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-08-08 at 05:30 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhhh yes THAT one. The first GH right? Yeah it looks harder then it is. You should be fine ESOECILLY as glad with a shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Ahhhh yes THAT one. The first GH right? Yeah it looks harder then it is. You should be fine ESOECILLY as glad with a shield.
    Yep. Its my fault a miss judgement I swear I have tanked before and good as well lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was just on the last pull of the guild hist I had around 9 add's on me and the boss so I was kiting them a little to avoid the little add's melee range. I didn't think the healer could keep me up.

As for the telegprahs I do move out and back to my original position. ill just tank the add's/boss and if I drop dead so be it lol. It was just a level 10 guild hist and as I said I just felt the healer couldn't keep me up.

Yea def don't kite them. I had tanks like that on my monk and I'd simply give up trying to chase them. If the DPS are ranged it's not to big of a deal, but if there's melee and you want things to die fast. Don't kite, just tank them.

The healer only has one heal or so but at that level that heal heals very large. You can dip to about 1/4 health and still be fine as long as they cast. I've gotten up to get sodas before at low level just to press 1 on a dying person and then it's like they never almost died? =D?

The only way you'll really die, is if you kite like that, or the healer just completely stops healing you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazila View Post
    Yea def don't kite them. I had tanks like that on my monk and I'd simply give up trying to chase them. If the DPS are ranged it's not to big of a deal, but if there's melee and you want things to die fast. Don't kite, just tank them.

The healer only has one heal or so but at that level that heal heals very large. You can dip to about 1/4 health and still be fine as long as they cast. I've gotten up to get sodas before at low level just to press 1 on a dying person and then it's like they never almost died? =D?

The only way you'll really die, is if you kite like that, or the healer just completely stops healing you.
    To add on top of the healing, you get punished hard for overhealing. As Tazila mentioned, the heal is very large, so healing someone at 90% at the beginning of the fight will guarantee the healer takes ALOT of agro. I'm pretty sure for every point of overhealing done, it's 3 times the threat. It's not uncommon that a healer will open with a few dps abilities and heal you at less than half of you health.

Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    Tanks who move too much (and by that I mean more than just positioning things and dodging things) are very, VERY annoying to melee :P Objectively speaking that is, it makes it almost impossible to land our positional skills if the tanks can't stand still for a moment ^^
    It's especially annoying on my dragoon when I can't get my dmg buff because none of my swings will hit their side. Also when I can't put up my debuffs because the 1st attack needs to land from the back

ill keep all of that in mind thx guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Dam keeping argo is a pain at low levels. ill never look down on a low level tank again lol.

Burning Flash on the pull then rotating between Fast Blade+Savage Blade back into a flash and doing Riot Blade for when I need mana. I got to keep using Flash just to have a chance at keeping argo. Dam healers and dps pulling off me hahaha. Also Shield Lob on single target. I do try to hit each mob with shield lob since it seems to build up argo decent.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-08-09 at 07:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ill keep all of that in mind thx guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Dam keeping argo is a pain at low levels. ill never look down on a low level tank again lol.

Burning Flash on the pull then rotating between Fast Blade+Savage Blade back into a flash and doing Riot Blade for when I need mana. I got to keep using Flash just to have a chance at keeping argo. Dam healers and dps pulling off me hahaha. Also Shield Lob on single target. I do try to hit each mob with shield lob since it seems to build up argo decent.
    Hmmm next time we're on together hit me up I think I can help(it's also because you're a gladiator) again man warriors/marauders get the good stuff at low level(Overpower is overpowered LOL)

Hmmm next time we're on together hit me up I think I can help(it's also because you're a gladiator) again man warriors/marauders get the good stuff at low level(Overpower is overpowered LOL)
    I may just switch to marauder next time I log back on. Sooner or later ill have a level 50 of each class so it isn't a waste of time or anything.

Was just wanting to check how well I would do in dungeons tanking and so far I have done good.

Just got done reading the ability and ya it seems I may like playing a marauder more. So when I log on ill switch over lol.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-08-09 at 09:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I may just switch to marauder next time I log back on. Sooner or later ill have a level 50 of each class so it isn't a waste of time or anything.

Was just wanting to check how well I would do in dungeons tanking and so far I have done good.
    LOL yeah tanking is faitry easy for most fights.

And yeah you needed 15 GLD anyways so works put plus you can start farming tank gear for extra threat.

LOL yeah tanking is faitry easy for most fights.

And yeah you needed 15 GLD anyways so works put plus you can start farming tank gear for extra threat.
    Yep. Kinda spent a bit on my current set but no big deal and I do believe marader's can use the same gear so it isn't a waste. ill just get a decent 2h once I hit around level 15.

ill deal with it all later seems more fun and easy to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Kinda spent a bit on my current set but no big deal and I do believe marader's can use the same gear so it isn't a waste. ill just get a decent 2h once I hit around level 15.

ill deal with it all later seems more fun and easy to play.
    LOL it is and yep the armor is the same.

Also remember that around 20 something GC items can be gained too.

Deleted
    As long as you got to gladiator 22 for provoke, you can switch to marauder with relative peace of mind :P You would've needed provoke anyway, so not a waste :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, that is why when I am forced to do low level dungeon for whatever reasons (helping friends etc), I always go SMN.

Tank pick up a mob, and I will use Titan egi to pick up the others, that way the healer doesn't get smacked senseless. Funny though when only 1 target, sending in my egi after the tank and most of the time Titan will take hate off the tank and tank the mob itself lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Yep, that is why when I am forced to do low level dungeon for whatever reasons (helping friends etc), I always go SMN.

Tank pick up a mob, and I will use Titan egi to pick up the others, that way the healer doesn't get smacked senseless. Funny though when only 1 target, sending in my egi after the tank and most of the time Titan will take hate off the tank and tank the mob itself lol.
    Heh PLEASE don;t do this at least not at the start....Some of us have learned how to keep hate(Note takes a good weapon and alot of target swapping)

Heh PLEASE don;t do this at least not at the start....Some of us have learned how to keep hate(Note takes a good weapon and alot of target swapping)
    I was target swaping my brains out lol. Kinda hard to do on a controller I must admit lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was target swaping my brains out lol. Kinda hard to do on a controller I must admit lol.
    Yeah man it really is just a bitch at lower levels...I hope WAR works better for ya..Oh and a 30 war and 40 pld get their tank buffs.So that will help.

I've found when low level tanking that if my DPS are willing to kill targets in my marked order, I usually don't have to worry about losing aggro. A few flashes and/or overpowers and I generally don't (too often ) lose aggro to my healers either.

That said, I'm still too chicken too try end game tanking (Altho my only level 50 tank was an alt I leveled with my sister. Had no intention of trying to play the character past 50, but I may try my hand at some end game tanking when I get my mains pally or warr to 50)
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom