10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruhen View Post
    Keep plugging away at it. That's a really fun fight.
    Yeah, mostly had issues on last phase since.. well, it's unknown to us. We're progressing on our own without reading/watching guides.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    That said a lot of people at the time were faaarrr more butthurt before it even released because Square said its big plan to recover from the catastrophic losses of Spirits Within and the Square Pictures venture was almost word for word "Exploit our most popular games in the series for as many cross media tie in products as we can" which soured waaaay more people to AC before it released than SW did.
    The biggest shame of this is that Squenix are sitting on a ton of valuable IP's that aren't Final Fantasies or Dragon Quests. Not only Parasite Eve, but things like Chrono Trigger and Kingdom Hearts 3 too would sell obscenely well too.

Then again, as I mentioned previously, Squenix and the Japanese in general seem to have a very counter intuitive way of going about business. It's like Nintendo not producing enough NES classics to even meet preorder demand, almost all of the bullshit Konami do and even Squenix with their Encyclopedia Eorzea. If Apple can produce enough to meet their obscene preorders for their state-of-the-art technology, then I'm sure Squenix can manage to print enough of their books to fulfill their orders. I know they do it so they can keep some rarity value attached to the goods, but if you're not even meeting preorder demand why even bother having it in the first place?

I'm surprised that FFXIV's relevant employees keep underestimating the popularity of the game, particularly in North America and Europe. The Encyclopedia Eorzea didn't have enough copies printed to meet a fierce demand and the maid/butler attire promotion campaigns in Europe were utterly awful, screwing over many players in the process. Hopefully lessons are learned, especially since Stormblood is likely to boost the popularity of the game even more if it plays the right cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    I believe Sorrior meant the treated sand you get when you combine crystal sand with umbrite, not the crystal sand itself. Like instead of getting 3 with a chance of proc up to 6, you get 6 with a chance to proc all the way up to 12 or something like that.
    Yep this right here

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    I'm surprised that FFXIV's relevant employees keep underestimating the popularity of the game, particularly in North America and Europe. The Encyclopedia Eorzea didn't have enough copies printed to meet a fierce demand and the maid/butler attire promotion campaigns in Europe were utterly awful, screwing over many players in the process. Hopefully lessons are learned, especially since Stormblood is likely to boost the popularity of the game even more if it plays the right cards.
    To be fair i think a lot of people are so used to western based mmo devs they forget we are not the domestic market. We are the secondary overseas market. This means working with translators, distributors, ratings boards and so on from so many different countries that are all separate secondary entities.

In some parts of Asian media thats improving. Anime for example is getting a lot of simulcast subbing or in some cases -if you are a pleb - even dubbing now. Thing is think about how much text is in an expansion, or the encyclopedia. Its easy for us to just think "well its just jp to eng" but its not. Its jp to western which means english, spanish, french, german and italian as a baseline most of the time. Rather than a one for one its the same work 5 or 6 times over or more that then needs to be vetted for cultures and ratings boards that to the japanese devs are completely foreign.

We are used to 'american dev makes game, english language is default but the roots of spanish, french and german means they are extremely easy to translate' but japanese to english alone is a nightmare.

Especially when more and more japanese devs are noticing certain "im so glad i could intercept this problematic content and replace it so this remains on the right side of history" translation houses are seriously effecting sales as they get DUWANG level reputations.

Especially when more and more japanese devs are noticing certain "im so glad i could intercept this problematic content and replace it so this remains on the right side of history" translation houses are seriously effecting sales as they get DUWANG level reputations.
    It really makes you miss Ted Woolsey doesn't it? That son of a submariner could simultaneously butcher a script while still keeping it making sense for a Western audience.

Mind you if they were to release FF7 today there'd be uproar over Clouds cross dressing, how it portrays black people, it's depiction of mental illnesses. Lets not even get started with that whore house. I doubt it would even make it to the shelves...

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    If Apple can produce enough to meet their obscene preorders for their state-of-the-art technology, then I'm sure Squenix can manage to print enough of their books to fulfill their orders
    Last time I got an Apple product I had to wait a month despite pre-ordering it. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryZebra View Post
    Mind you if they were to release FF7 today there'd be uproar over Clouds cross dressing, how it portrays black people, it's depiction of mental illnesses. Lets not even get started with that whore house. I doubt it would even make it to the shelves...
    Well rumour mill has "FF7 Chapter 1: Midgar" is going to show at E3 with a christmas release date and i guess we will see. Honestly chapter 1 is the release thats going to have the most content that could be changed, kind of funny how right after midgar its a straight FF6 style brick and cobble mine town, green fields and a chocobo farm. That deiselpunk fantasy kind of goes on the backburner till the town/dock and ship to costa del sol when it goes parasite eve again

- - - Updated - - -

Listening to the latest State of the Realm and they pointed out something interesting about the latest patches fight. When goestsu fights with you there are npcs moving out of aoes and that has folks thinking either way more interesting dungeon pulls or some version of Trust npcs.

So if I can get one line on the Khloe book this week, I'll be 10 TT wins away from Fenrir mount (1 line = 30k MGP). Hopefully RNGesus isn't as big a douchenozzle this week as it has been recently (where I am super duper lucky to get one line).

Listening to the latest State of the Realm and they pointed out something interesting about the latest patches fight. When goestsu fights with you there are npcs moving out of aoes and that has folks thinking either way more interesting dungeon pulls or some version of Trust npcs.
    I'd place my bets on Trust NPCs...especially since we know they're working on getting the Squadron NPCs you can recruit to be able to run at the very least low level dungeons with you.

Looking at the 260 stuff I can get from Scripture & DunScaith (and Proto-Ultima) without doing Alexander (or I'll need to do all the old ones to unlock the last one)...Skill Speed, skill speed everywhere...I'm already at 830ish and I need between 600 and 650 to be in a good spot as Dragoon.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2017-04-04 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Berethos08 View Post
    Last time I got an Apple product I had to wait a month despite pre-ordering it. Just saying...
    Which is still better than getting an E-mail saying that more have been printed, then to find out that they've all sold out within half an hour. They know how many people are interested in buying one, but they don't seem to care - They're stuck in the same kind of toymaker mentality as Nintendo where they want to preserve some form of rarity value for their goods by making them scarce. The only people who really benefit from it are the scalpers.

At least you know Apple will honour any outstanding preorders. You have no idea if and when you'll get hold of your Encylopedia.

Well rumour mill has "FF7 Chapter 1: Midgar" is going to show at E3 with a christmas release date and i guess we will see. Honestly chapter 1 is the release thats going to have the most content that could be changed, kind of funny how right after midgar its a straight FF6 style brick and cobble mine town, green fields and a chocobo farm. That deiselpunk fantasy kind of goes on the backburner till the town/dock and ship to costa del sol when it goes parasite eve again
    I expect FF7's remake to make it past through, largely, unchanged. I can see them handling Mr T Barret better and for it to get a much better translation, but for most of the content to be left alone. If it was a new entry then it would probably be gutted for some of its early game content, but having 20 years of strong fan following means it'll likely get past as-is.

Honestly though, I'm not all that interested in the remake. From what I can see, it's got shit show written all over it. It being anything short of excelent is going to result in square getting lambasted from the FF 7 fans, praise and "I told you so's" from the 8 and 9 fans and torn apart by critics who want their nostalgia back. The bar is already set so impossibly high that there's no way it can reasonably meet peoples expectations for it.

I'm cautiously optimistic about FF7's remake. It has the potential to be incredible if it remains loyal to the core material and expands upon it in a way that is satisfying. I believe they've implied we'll be seeing more of Midgar - which makes sense given that it's such a huge sprawling area. They could add more scenes to expand upon Shinra early on too and lay the groundwork that explains some of the later plot revelations a little better.

I do understand the concerns, though. It'll suck if it's gutted to be 'politically correct' and I don't want to see blatant advertisements for real world products like in FF15 or questionable gimmicks by the localisation team along the lines of the 'lol Trump sucks xD' nonsense in the same game. Granted, the original game had some pretty heavy themes but they were mostly about scientific experiments going too far and corporate greed. Even then the protagonists weren't painted in a flattering light - the opening scene involves a terrorist attack and even many of the antagonists ended up not being completely rotten, especially in regards to Rufus and the Turks.

Considering how Square Enix is doing exceptionally well with Nier: Automata, it gives me some hope that FF7 will be kept largely in tact for the remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Considering how Square Enix is doing exceptionally well with Nier: Automata, it gives me some hope that FF7 will be kept largely in tact for the remake.
    Eh, if i look at nier which is Yoko Taro+Platinum and the FF7 team which has a lot of members in common with FFXV i remain sceptical since going back to XV for episode Gladiolus after Automata really illustrates how a game can look great but have absolute garbage combat. I mean people say XIV is bad with the cooldown but playing as NIN feels more fun than the "square,square,square,dodge,square,square,square,dodge,magic,doge,square,square" snoozefest of FFXV. Compared to Nier in particular its painful.

more fun than the "square,square,square,dodge,square,square,square,dodge,magic,doge,square,square" snoozefest of FFXV. Compared to Nier in particular its painful.
    Looks like any Dark Souls game to me L1,L1,L1,dodge,L1,L1,L1,dodge..., don't even need to use magic.
    Still don't understand the complaints about the combat system, it's not like in Nier I do something different than Light Attack and Dodge either (I keep the fire bot on and use the big attack when off cooldown. Big deal.)

Edit : I'm not saying Nier's gameplay and FFXV's have the same depth. They don't (obv.), but when you don't need this depth to win, what's the point anyway.
    Last edited by MrTharne; 2017-04-04 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Well, seeing that they don't mind keeping male and female character gear gender locked in many occasions (see the new Scion gear we get from 3.56 MSQ and the Aymeric outfit for recent examples), they don't seem to really give into a lot of the more...hmm, how to say it..."interesting" requests that people make of games and game design.

Hell, even with the limitations on much of the gear found in FF14 now, that doesn't stop people from conjuring up some really wild glamours.

Quote Originally Posted by MrTharne View Post
    Looks like any Dark Souls game to me L1,L1,L1,dodge,L1,L1,L1,dodge..., don't even need to use magic.
    Still don't understand the complaints about the combat system, it's not like in Nier I do something different than Light Attack and Dodge either (I keep the fire bot on and use the big attack when off cooldown. Big deal.)

Edit : I'm not saying Nier's gameplay and FFXV's have the same depth. They don't (obv.), but when you don't need this depth to win, what's the point anyway.
    Thats kind of my point. Nier and FFXV are both similar button inputs, but the smoothness of the output is worlds apart.

I was referring more to the notion of "censor that, it'll risk sales" that Nier may be proving beneficial for FF7's development. Wasn't referring to gameplay.

And regarding glamours, I think I've seen a few decent shots at Nier glamours in FFXIV.

When it comes to RPG's it isn't really the combat I'm super interested in. That's just a bonus. Vagrant Story had a very complicated combat and equipment system that confused me quite a bit back when it first came out and information wasn't as readily accessible back then as it is now. Despite that it still remains one of my favourite RPG's. I'd say the same about Final Fantasy Tactics.

FF15's combat didn't strike me as anything super special. It was...passable, in my eyes. I was fully prepared to enjoy the game as a whole, though. At least until it became obvious that major chunks of the story were cut out during a lengthy development phase plagued by various issues.

As for FF14's combat, they can do what they like with it - within reason - as far as I'm concerned so long as they continue to offer a decent story and an immersive game world.