I jumped into an ocean fishing voyage for the first time in a while and finally got enough points to unlock the shark mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    It was a full merger too. G'raha comments about how his soul is denser, as it would be since the CE lived through the rejoining we prevented, he's 8/14 like we are (with Ardbert). I believe the crystal body left on the First is no different than when the Scions' bodies were in Mor Dhona sans spirits. Someone commented on the fact that just before the CE fully crystalizes the vessel glows white as it did when the Scions transferred their souls just before they disappeared. It means his body is likely technically alive since nobody was instantly ported back to the Source, but no one's home.
    This is a bit of a plothole tbh but it's best to just ignore it. Since the CE gave us both his memories and his 9/14 soul, we went and put it back into his 8/14 soul. So technically that should make him 17/14... But everyone chooses to ignore that little detail so it's best to leave it at that.

BTW, when I say 9/14 it's not a typo or a mistake. We are also 9/14. (Source + 7 rejoinings + Ardbert.) CE is also 9/14 since he had to go through the 8th calamity before being sent to the First. (Source + 8 rejoinings.)

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    BTW, when I say 9/14 it's not a typo or a mistake. We are also 9/14. (Source + 7 rejoinings + Ardbert.) CE is also 9/14 since he had to go through the 8th calamity before being sent to the First. (Source + 8 rejoinings.)
    Ah, my numbers have been off all this time? You have a point though, since as far as I'm concerned what happened in ShB essentially confirms multiverse theory. I've seen people argue otherwise, but nobody's explained how that isn't the case.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Whats the cheapest, DoH you can level up? i wanted to start doing the dwarf reputation but i need a DoH to do them <.<
    The most expensive part of leveling your first DoH is actually the gear, and that's the same for every DoH. If you're short on cash look into the Diadem and level a DoL to gather your own mats,. Leveling a DoL in the diadem is fast, doesn't really need gear until level 61ish, and you can sell a lot of the mats you don't need.

I'm actually a few days away from my own tank. Lali-ho!
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2021-08-10 at 07:43 AM.

Ah, my numbers have been off all this time? You have a point though, since as far as I'm concerned what happened in ShB essentially confirms multiverse theory. I've seen people argue otherwise, but nobody's explained how that isn't the case.
    Yeah, but I dont think they will go that far again. Time travel and alternate timelines usually mess stuff up but they did do a good job in the story with it without messing with the lore.

For example in the alternate timeline, in the short story, Midgardsorm wakes up into a world where the events of the 8th calamity start subsiding, however two unsundered Ascians (Elidibus, Emet) are still alive there, and without the WoL to stand in their way it's not too far fetched to think that eventually they will complete the rejoining and summon Zodiark and bring back all their people.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    For example in the alternate timeline, in the short story, Midgardsorm wakes up into a world where the events of the 8th calamity start subsiding, however two unsundered Ascians (Elidibus, Emet) are still alive there, and without the WoL to stand in their way it's not too far fetched to think that eventually they will complete the rejoining and summon Zodiark and bring back all their people.
    Is that in the Tales from the Shadows set of short stories? I am #teamrejoin, so I was already hoping in at least one reality their dream was realized. However, I'd prefer they're successful before Hydaelyn, especially considering her sundering has caused far more loss of life than a 3rd summoning of Zodiark would have.

It's weird to me that more people aren't bothered by the fact that their souls are sundered. I'm also kind of surprised that there's not some form of the Cult of the Damned in FFXIV, because the Ascians would get a lot of followers with the promise of Amaurot.
    "We must now recognize that the greatest threat of freedom for us all is if we go back to eating ourselves out from within." - John Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    In other news, picked my NIN for my next leveling project.

Been a while since I touched it. Since SB to be exact. Was rather sad that Ninjutsu is now GCD, I kinda miss that old weaving game.

Still a fun job, though. Way more fun than SAM, I'm so glad that trip to 80 is over with.
    I've been leveling every job with the preferred server bonus, and NIN has been top 3 funnest jobs for me. The GCD ninjutsu doesn't bother me since it's like a .5 second recast.

Is that in the Tales from the Shadows set of short stories? I am #teamrejoin, so I was already hoping in at least one reality their dream was realized. However, I'd prefer they're successful before Hydaelyn, especially considering her sundering has caused far more loss of life than a 3rd summoning of Zodiark would have.

It's weird to me that more people aren't bothered by the fact that their souls are sundered. I'm also kind of surprised that there's not some form of the Cult of the Damned in FFXIV, because the Ascians would get a lot of followers with the promise of Amaurot.
    Yeah it is, they are pretty nice and don't take long to read.

There are actually. There's "Ascians" with black masks early in the game and some in the SMN HW quests iirc. Those aren't part of the 13, but just random followers that were most likely promised power among other things.

How has her sundering caused more loss of life than a 3rd summoning of Zodiark would cause? Especially at this point in the cycle where each of the shards has entire civilizations and generations upon generations of population growth. Each rejoining destroys the entire shard and all life on it, Zodiarks summoning and now the attempts at rejoining have destroyed billions, if not trillions, of lives. Hydaelyns sundering has allowed for that many lives to exist, and saved many of the lives of the folks from the First. It's not even on the same scale anymore.

I want to know why Hydalyn thinks about Nordvrant. "Oh those poor people" or "Look at all this glorious LIGHT, we need more of that!"

That all depends on what you consider "lives". All those people on those worlds are just pieces of "real" people in the eyes of the Ascians. I know there's really no way to imagine a real-world parallel to what that would be like, but it's understandable to an extent. Especially since they don't see it as killing all those people, but helping them back to their original forms.

Besides, if you eradicated every life on Earth to create twice as many lives elsewhere, what would that be?
    Except, the lives of the people on the Source weren't eradicated when it was sundered, at least that's my understanding based on the story. It's a little hard to understand. People survived, that's how life was able to continue on. If the sundering eradicated everyone, where did all of the descendants come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    How has her sundering caused more loss of life than a 3rd summoning of Zodiark would cause?
    It's exactly as you said, rejoinings have destroyed billions/trillions of lives, lives that wouldn't have been lost had Hydaelyn not sundered the world. Zodiark's 3rd summoning (during the time of Amaurot) would have been a fixed number of life sacrificed and then been done. Thanks to what Hydaelyn did there's no cap on loss of life, in fact, it was increased exponentially and the longer it takes to rejoin a shard the more life is likely to be lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if I told you right now that your "soul" is somehow broken, what would you think?

More to the point...what if I told you that, and then told you that only via the eradication of everything you currently know - including your current sense of self - could it be made whole?

It's not much of a bargain. Especially for a concept so immaterial.
    First, I'd think it made a lot of sense, but the reasons for that aren't story related. :P Second, like I said, I'm already #teamrejoin. Considering that most/all of the major races appear to be reincarnations of sundered Ascians then I wouldn't really be losing anything. Both myself and my SO, for example, would be reborn whole into a perfect world. It doesn't sound like a bad deal.

That all depends on what you consider "lives". All those people on those worlds are just pieces of "real" people in the eyes of the Ascians. I know there's really no way to imagine a real-world parallel to what that would be like, but it's understandable to an extent. Especially since they don't see it as killing all those people, but helping them back to their original forms.

Besides, if you eradicated every life on Earth to create twice as many lives elsewhere, what would that be?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if I told you right now that your "soul" is somehow broken, what would you think?

More to the point...what if I told you that, and then told you that only via the eradication of everything you currently know - including your current sense of self - could it be made whole?

It's not much of a bargain. Especially for a concept so immaterial.

That's not entirely true. Some of the Ascian's were tired of sacrifices and were completely against them. They wanted these so called "fragments of real people" to continue living. Some people seem to think that all Ascians were the same, but the reality is we have only ever heard one side of the story, and that's the side of the twisted nature of the people tainted by Zodiark for ages. Maybe we'll get the other side when we get more information from Venat.

I guess my point is that, while it is understandable, the reality is a lot of Amaurotines were completely against it. They didn't view all life as lesser forms that should just be disposed of for their great race.
    Last edited by La; 2021-08-10 at 02:39 PM.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

It's exactly as you said, rejoinings have destroyed billions/trillions of lives, lives that wouldn't have been lost had Hydaelyn not sundered the world. Zodiark's 3rd summoning (during the time of Amaurot) would have been a fixed number of life sacrificed and then been done. Thanks to what Hydaelyn did there's no cap on loss of life, in fact, it was increased exponentially and the longer it takes to rejoin a shard the more life is likely to be lost.
    Hydaelyn is not the one causing the loss of life though, it's the Ascians working on rejoining Zodiark in the name of Zodiark. The deaths of the billions caused by the rejoinings is on Zodiark, not Hydaelyn.

First, I'd think it made a lot of sense, but the reasons for that aren't story related. :P Second, like I said, I'm already #teamrejoin. Considering that most/all of the major races appear to be reincarnations of sundered Ascians then I wouldn't really be losing anything. Both myself and my SO, for example, would be reborn whole into a perfect world. It doesn't sound like a bad deal.
    It was stated in Shadowbringers that the vast majority of people in existence now are brand new souls, with no connection to Amaurot whatsoever, they have no common soul to rejoin into. You'd be losing quite a lot actually if the rejoining actually happened. You're also assuming the resulting world would in fact be perfect, when the information we have from Amaurot, and the flashbacks/ snippets of information we get from the Azem crystal, suggests it's just as imperfect as the one we live in now, if not more so due to the existence of "The Sound" that almost destroyed the First to begin with.

Well, we're getting into the territory of if what Hydaelyn did was for the better or not, which I do not believe it was. Sundering the world into 14 pieces was not an appropriate response to stopping what the Ascians were going to ask of Zodiark.

5.3 MSQ We know that the Convocation came up with the idea of sacrificing the new life to Zodiark and hoping he could resurrect/regurgitate their souls, but we have no indication that he would have even gone along with it. The last thing we hear about him is that he used creation magic to create an imitation of Elidibus (or regurgitated his soul?) and told the new Elidibus to go check out what the Convocation was up to. The next thing we hear about Zodiark is that Hydaelyn jumped on him. The other part of the story we are missing is what Azem was doing after he resigned. It's unclear whether he declined Venat's offer to summon Hydaelyn, or if he was venturing to the center of the Earth to check out the Sound/Lifestream and was unable to be contacted. It seems that the Sundering went down while Azem was absent.

Well, we're getting into the territory of if what Hydaelyn did was for the better or not, which I do not believe it was. Sundering the world into 14 pieces was not an appropriate response to stopping what the Ascians were going to ask of Zodiark.
    You can have that opinion, but that subject is somewhat irrelevant at this point. We're dealing with the fallout of that decision. We now have shards, period. Asking if creating the shards was the right decision or not doesn't matter now. The only thing that needs to be considered now is whether sacrificing the billions of lives that exist NOW on each of the shards is the right thing to do?

Man, why is SAM so flashy but so complicated uwu

Edit: Also, fuuuucccckkkk i love all the classes so much !!!! Unless you are a monk, i hate you, not even addons love you
    Last edited by Leyre; 2021-08-10 at 03:26 PM.

It's punishment for saying uwu.

Quote Originally Posted by Martymark View Post
    I want to know why Hydalyn thinks about Nordvrant. "Oh those poor people" or "Look at all this glorious LIGHT, we need more of that!"
    More or less the first. Since she did send Minfillia there to stop the flood.