Quote Originally Posted by Talrath View Post
    its 4 buttons at the very start but the higher you get the more abilities you can get. After lvl 50 you will get alot more spells, so much so that people start complaining that rotations are too hard. Id recommend just holding it out for a bit longer, besides the trial is all the way to lvl 60, and at that lvl you got i think about 70% abilities. lvl 50 and below as DRG (lancer upgraded class) has about 15-20% of the end lvl abilities. Just hang on for a bit.

Also about the voice acting, yeah its terrible (for the english). But when you start the with the first expansion, alot of the characters voice actors get changed and the existing ones got much better. I played the jap voice with english sub, think that sounds much cooler. Even the trailers in Japanese are better since at endwalker you hear the growl of a fighter but when you watch the english one you dont hear the growl of being attacked.

Anyway, best to do is dont buy a sub, just use the free trial all the way to 60 and it will definitely change your mind. You just have to hang on with the abomination english voice acting at ARR itself before getting to heavensward heaven voice acting. GL! (dont forget to upgrade lancer class to a job class dragoon)
    I am a Dragoon, I'm lvl 45 now. I'm still doing the same rotation I've been doing forever tho'.

Dragoon gave me like... 2 extra buttons. But I'll soldier through if only because of the sunk cost fallacy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    All the voice actors change after ARR and the voice acting becomes way better.

As for the gameplay. Eh, there's like 20-30 second rotations at endgame. There's a reason people complain about having to press 25 buttons for each job. Also you said Lancer, have you not done your job quest and upgraded to Dragoon?
    That's excessive. I can't imagine going from a 4 button rotation to 25 after spending 40 levels with 2-4 spells.

Quote Originally Posted by starstationprofm View Post
    Absolutely not. There is such a thing as bad acting.

Dude, using the same 4 spells over and over for 30 levels isn't 'easing you into the gameplay'.

What do you mean I'm playing the vanilla version? It's on them if they haven't changed the leveling at all since 2016. Leveling a character in WoW is not the same experience now as it was in 2004. Characters get a ton of procs and cool stuff while they level up, not to mention your entire playstyle changes at lvl 10 based on your spec.

- - - Updated - - -

The WoW leveling experience is massively better. For starters it doesn't take ages, there's WAY LESS " Go to X place, talk to Y " person all over the world and just about every class has AoE. Lancers get their first AoE spell at what, lvl 40?
    The wow leveling experience has no story, so the comparison is fundamentally stupid. The fact that you gauge wows leveling as better based on how fast it is is the best demonstration of how pointless the criticism is.

When shadowlands came out, I had two friends that were new to wow and wanted to give it a try. Both were so overwhelmed and lost by level 10 because of the volume of abilities and the complexity of their rotations that they bailed.

The fact that the beginning of ff14 is geared for new players and not for mmo veterans is intentional.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a Dragoon, I'm lvl 45 now. I'm still doing the same rotation I've been doing forever tho'.

Dragoon gave me like... 2 extra buttons. But I'll soldier through if only because of the sunk cost fallacy.

- - - Updated - - -

That's excessive. I can't imagine going from a 4 button rotation to 25 after spending 40 levels with 2-4 spells.
    So if the game is simple it’s bad, if it’s complex it’s bad, you will whine either way.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

- - - Updated - - -

LNC/DRG is a very slow start that ramps up as you get more and more oGCDs.

Well let's see.

This is my hotbar for DRK. Assume the top bar isn't really used except for the first three spells. Those are defensive spells, so you will have to use them during an encounter. The three right below them also are defensive spells and are also used. Tankbusters hit hard so you need all the defensives CD's you can get. If the encounter also has multiple adds, you WILL have to use all the other spells since a few of those are aoe ones.

The initial rotation doesn't include all of them ofc but they are all important during the fight. So that's 22 buttons you will need to press, atleast for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Wouldn't be if they announced it last week.
    So you're going to quit playing a game you wanted to play so much that you took time off for, because now you can't take your time off because they moved the release date?

I understand being upset by the delay, but quitting is a bit ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

Or you can stop taking vacation time to play a fucking game.
    How about you let others decide for themselves what they want to use their vacation time for, eh?

Video games are what some people really enjoy and use their free time on, their hobby. Why is using it to play a game any better or worse than someone else taking vacation to enjoy some other hobby?

- - - Updated - - -

TBF though you are stuck with a slow, boring rotation in FF for a long time. Depending on job it could be til 30, or 50, or even beyond. They're trying to fix some of it, but it's a hard fix.
    Depending on the class and spec you pick in WoW, it's not much different and in some cases worse than FFXIV as far as number of abilities and class mechanics and game play feel not changing for long stretches of time.

I remember in Legion leveling a Fury Warrior and had the exact same rotation at 110 that I did at level 40, with like...1 extra button? Maybe? I had lots of extra procs, and was doing more damage due to passives and such, but I played the character EXACTLY the same at level 110 as I did at 40.

Not knocking one over the other here, just saying it's weird to complain about only have a few abilities to use for a long time and then point at another game where you also only have a few abilities you use regularly for long periods of time.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The wow leveling experience has no story
    Every WoW expansion has a story. And it's generally better than " Generic evil bad guy does generic evil bad guy stuff while the player is gathering the Infinity Stones" which is what ARR is.

When shadowlands came out, I had two friends that were new to wow and wanted to give it a try. Both were so overwhelmed and lost by level 10 because of the volume of abilities and the complexity of their rotations that they bailed.
    They were... overwhelmed by Exile's Reach and 3 buttons to press?

Yikes.

Every WoW expansion has a story. And it's generally better than " Generic evil bad guy does generic evil bad guy stuff while the player is gathering the Infinity Stones" which is what ARR is.
    Wasn't the Legion's questing about gathering Titan artifacts?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    dude is just helbent on making vapid hyperbolic statements back to back and repeat old talking points which were shot down months ago. Its common to see this any time any half baked forced nontroversy occurs in FFXIV because people like him have been stewing and burning seeing FFXIV be better than nuncecraft

Like the whole thing about the "infinity stones", which ignores the fact the WoL never sought them out, only achieved incidentally them by opposing said bad guys at every turn, performing legendary deeds and saving entire nations, not ignoring the enemy for a maguffin treasure hunt. it was woven so well into the flow of the story, only a dunce with an agenda could twist it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    So you're going to quit playing a game you wanted to play so much that you took time off for, because now you can't take your time off because they moved the release date?

I understand being upset by the delay, but quitting is a bit ridiculous.
    It's more the principle of it, I'm sick of these short delay announcements, the only thing I have to protest them is my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Depending on the class and spec you pick in WoW, it's not much different and in some cases worse than FFXIV as far as number of abilities and class mechanics and game play feel not changing for long stretches of time.

I remember in Legion leveling a Fury Warrior and had the exact same rotation at 110 that I did at level 40, with like...1 extra button? Maybe? I had lots of extra procs, and was doing more damage due to passives and such, but I played the character EXACTLY the same at level 110 as I did at 40.

Not knocking one over the other here, just saying it's weird to complain about only have a few abilities to use for a long time and then point at another game where you also only have a few abilities you use regularly for long periods of time.
    Difference is leveling in wow can be done fully in 10 hours. 10 hours into FF you might not even be 50.

It's more the principle of it, I'm sick of these short delay announcements, the only thing I have to protest them is my wallet.
    "principle of it" spare us your shallow and concieted pretentiousness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    "principle of it" spare us your shallow and concieted pretentiousness.
    I mean, if you're ok with 2 week delay announcements that's fine, but I'm not going to give money to something I don't agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Most fantasy involves gathering artifacts, but they aren't infinity stones. Plus, that was only the plot of ONE Legion patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    dude is just helbent on making vapid hyperbolic statements back to back and repeat old talking points which were shot down months ago. Its common to see this any time any half baked forced nontroversy occurs in FFXIV because people like him have been stewing and burning seeing FFXIV be better than nuncecraft
    Imagine having so little self awareness and sense of irony.

The WoW leveling experience is massively better. For starters it doesn't take ages, there's WAY LESS " Go to X place, talk to Y " person all over the world and just about every class has AoE. Lancers get their first AoE spell at what, lvl 40?
    No, instead, every quest is some variety of "kill 20 bears/loot 5 bear asses" (which have a 1 in 4 drop rate so it's still just a roundabout way to tell you to kill 20 bears)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    No, instead, every quest is some variety of "kill 20 bears/loot 5 bear asses" (which have a 1 in 4 drop rate so it's still just a roundabout way to tell you to kill 20 bears)
    If this was still like... classic I'd agree, but we've had a near 100% drop rate on quest items since cata.

If this was still like... classic I'd agree, but we've had a near 100% drop rate on quest items since cata.
    There's still quests like that, and besides that, "progress quests". Aka: fill up this bar but it's effectively the same as killing 20 of this mob

Also a lot of people consider classic the golden age you know.

There's still quests like that, and besides that, "progress quests". Aka: fill up this bar but it's effectively the same as killing 20 of this mob

Also a lot of people consider classic the golden age you know.
    Neither game has great "questing" really. WoW has bear asses, FF has go here, now go over there, now come back over here. I love them both, but they definitely have their problems.

Neither game has great "questing" really. WoW has bear asses, FF has go here, now go over there, now come back over here. I love them both, but they definitely have their problems.
    Almost as if FFXIV is an RPG, crazy i know

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    It could stand to have a little more combat, just like wow could stand to have a little more story.

Combat is a major part of rpgs too after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    An RPG in which you can be every class and there's no real decision making isn't an RPG.

- - - Updated - - -

FF14 has the same type of quests, except they make you run across the map too.

I actually like that FFXIV doesn't have that much combat. It feels like most RPGs shoehorn in random battles because they want to spruce up the game with gameplay, but they can't imagine having gameplay outside of battles. I really liked how the final gameplay section of the Banner Saga trilogy wasn't a boss battle, but a negotiation.

GW2 had really fun non-combat gameplay sections, like that quest in one of the Norn maps where you build an army of snowmen that look like an actual army from a distance to scare off invaders. Or that cowtapult quest where you help this crazy Charr engineer fling cows using a catapult. Or the one with the RC cars. Or playing with your baby dragon and raising her. The first chapter of the Icebrood Saga was just you participating in a festival. I sorta wish FFXIV could borrow from that.