The only zone to me that dragged on was actually Radz-at-Han (part 1). The rest of the zones of Endwalker were better designed narratively, functionally and artistically than any expansion before it. They have mastered their engine and it shows. That's not to say Endwalker was perfect, though. They overused their new quest mechanics and it wasn't quite as bleak as I wanted it to be. It was bleak enough, but in true Final Fantasy fashion they just had to introduce comic relief characters to tone it down. I embraced it but if I were in charge I definitely would have leaned in way more heavily on loss and destruction.

Also, the ending was...well, I think I need to digest it for a few days. It was quite good, but I have some issues for sure. Regardless what a fucking ride that was. I was pretty engaged from start to finish. I was also lucky to not have run into much trouble logging in and I didn't experience any server lag or disconnects.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    In ARR 2.0, Rhitahtyn (a Roegadyn) said that his (unnamed) homeland was a hellhole and that he was glad when the empire annexed it and improved it. The empire wasn't evil, at least not before the retcons that happened during Stormblood.
    This is basically like justifying slavery in the US with "at least they got fed and had a roof over their head instead of dying in Africa." Or the British in India with "we built roads for you guys! Be happy!"

I wasn't talking about the Emet = Solus retcon. I meant that prior to Stormblood, the empire wasn't cartoonishly evil. It seemed like crazies like Nael were the outliers. Then you start getting all of these ridiculously evil legions and you have to wonder how Gaius could climb so far up the ranks and not have known how ridiculously evil the empire was.
    sorry what? The garlean empire in ARR was literally the definition of a cartoonish villain. I didnt even start caring about the garleans till HW and SB.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    This is basically like justifying slavery in the US with "at least they got fed and had a roof over their head instead of dying in Africa." Or the British in India with "we built roads for you guys! Be happy!"
    It's funny how those examples are always used and not the nations making use of slavery, right now, in the present day. To say nothing of the fact that throughout history such things have been common and were exactly how most nations were built in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It's funny how those examples are always used and not the nations making use of slavery, right now, in the present day. To say nothing of the fact that throughout history such things have been common and were exactly how most nations were built in the first place...
    And? Doesn't change the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    And? Doesn't change the point.
    It does, since such things are hardly black and white - especially in a fantasy, fictional setting.

Nations conquered each other all throughout history. It isn't inherently evil to do so and pretty much everything attributed to Garlean brutality are things that the Eorzeans have done themselves and benefitted from as well, either in the past or the present.

Finally finished tonight, the first 3rd or so, until the 1st trial, was not that great, it picked up dramatically once we got to a special place and it ended really strong. Curious where they will go from here. I leveled 2 jobs through the MSQ, which meant a lot of extra dungeons, and I don't think I'd do that again in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Finally finished tonight, the first 3rd or so, until the 1st trial, was not that great, it picked up dramatically once we got to a special place and it ended really strong. Curious where they will go from here. I leveled 2 jobs through the MSQ, which meant a lot of extra dungeons, and I don't think I'd do that again in the future.
    What I do is do only main class (dragoon) through MSQ, and try to do 6 fates per zone to unlock the riding map for faster riding speed, and then do any daily roullettes on my gunbreaker for fast queues.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    I can imagine that would take a lot of extra dungeons, even with the better leveling pacing of EW.

In ShB we got stuck about every 2 levels and had to do some roulettes or just regular dungeons, in EW we only got stuck at 86 and 88.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It does, since such things are hardly black and white - especially in a fantasy, fictional setting.

Nations conquered each other all throughout history. It isn't inherently evil to do so and pretty much everything attributed to Garlean brutality are things that the Eorzeans have done themselves and benefitted from as well, either in the past or the present.
    And here I thought Garlemald apologists we're a myth.

I've been levelling up my Dark Knight to 90. I found out that Bozja scales up to 90 now, so I decided to try it out. Gained a whole level in about 30-45 minutes just running around with the fate train in the final Zadnor area. I've been told that Bozja is the most efficient way to level up until you hit 86/87, at which point spamming the highest level dungeon becomes more optimal. But I'm finding Bozja to be more relaxing (no one depending on you, you can alt+tab out to read something or walk away to make food any time you want) and to be more fun due to the lost actions.

In ARR 2.0, Rhitahtyn (a Roegadyn) said that his (unnamed) homeland was a hellhole and that he was glad when the empire annexed it and improved it. The empire wasn't evil, at least not before the retcons that happened during Stormblood.
    It's also said that behavior of the Empire is radically different legion to legion, where some regions conquered stay mostly the same and are treated fairly well, while other regions draw the short straw and have brutally oppressive Legates. If the guy wanted to only acknowledge the former even though alphie brought up the latter,I could understand that. There was no convincing him. But it still sucked that Alphie didn't have a single retort at the ready when there was so much ammunition available.

What happend to all the big streamer playing the game? The moment asmomgold advertised FF 14, every big asshole jumped on the game. Now it floats around half the viewer of World of Warcraft. The BEST MMO EVA just released the BEST PATCH EVA and none of them return?

Quote Originally Posted by fgfddgfddfdf View Post
    What happend to all the big streamer playing the game? The moment asmomgold advertised FF 14, every big asshole jumped on the game. Now it floats around half the viewer of World of Warcraft. The BEST MMO EVA just released the BEST PATCH EVA and none of them return?
    FFXIV is not a game that garners a lot of viewers. Especially on new expansion content. People don't want to watch a stream and potentially spoil the story.

As is eviden't with the queue and the words of the developer, the Endwalker launch has been absolutely massive. On roughly the same scale as FFXIV 1.0 which is not something to scoff at.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    FFXIV is not a game that garners a lot of viewers. Especially on new expansion content. People don't want to watch a stream and potentially spoil the story.

As is eviden't with the queue and the words of the developer, the Endwalker launch has been absolutely massive. On roughly the same scale as FFXIV 1.0 which is not something to scoff at.
    It's a 1 bit account just recently created with gibberish name. It's just here to stirr shit while being a jelly-spined coward for posting on a new account.

Edit: Which obviously get's me infracted. /slowclap

- - - Updated - - -

I've been levelling up my Dark Knight to 90. I found out that Bozja scales up to 90 now, so I decided to try it out. Gained a whole level in about 30-45 minutes just running around with the fate train in the final Zadnor area. I've been told that Bozja is the most efficient way to level up until you hit 86/87, at which point spamming the highest level dungeon becomes more optimal. But I'm finding Bozja to be more relaxing (no one depending on you, you can alt+tab out to read something or walk away to make food any time you want) and to be more fun due to the lost actions.
    Oh really? I was thinking about using it for reaper and stuff, but since I've run out of bonus exp after 2 jobs at 90 I had already resolved myself to fate grind and daily roulettes, but if Bozja works as well then it might be a good idea to start working on my WHM and some other jobs over the weekend to see the rest of the role quests. Especially melee gameplay becomes way nicer if you don't have to bother with positionals in 1vs1 situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merie View Post
    It's also said that behavior of the Empire is radically different legion to legion, where some regions conquered stay mostly the same and are treated fairly well, while other regions draw the short straw and have brutally oppressive Legates. If the guy wanted to only acknowledge the former even though alphie brought up the latter,I could understand that. There was no convincing him. But it still sucked that Alphie didn't have a single retort at the ready when there was so much ammunition available.
    Agreed. This was my issue as well with the scene. He could have said so much and yet it was framed as if he was completely stumped by the revelation of his opponent. If the scene was framed to be about placating him I would understand biting your tongue, but it really wasn't. It just painted him as having no idea how to respond, same for her, when she is usually the first to blurt out retorts. I mean later with Zenos she was her usual self and that guy is actually dangerous, so there was no reason why she would act like that during the encounter in zone 3.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2021-12-09 at 02:57 PM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    And here I thought Garlemald apologists we're a myth.
    I'm sorry but this is fiction and shouldn't be only judged by modern, real world, values.
    Rome conquered the mediterranean region and while other cultures did exist and were prospering and living the good life as well, so did they and a lot of those that they conquered and made slaves. Not to mention that they are an important part of our history as a moder civilization overall as well.
    Garlemald apparently brought both prosperity and suffering to these people. Sometimes more of the first than the latter. Often the other way around.

Since ACT has been working reapers have been sitting on the top of dmg by quite a margin in my experiences (dungeons, trials).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is fiction and shouldn't be only judged by modern, real world, values.
    Rome conquered the mediterranean region and while other cultures did exist and were prospering and living the good life as well, so did they and a lot of those that they conquered and made slaves. Not to mention that they are an important part of our history as a moder civilization overall as well.
    Garlemald apparently brought both prosperity and suffering to these people. Sometimes more of the first than the latter. Often the other way around.
    What? Of course you can judge it with modern values. You just shouldn't say it's a bad story because the characters don't have modern values.

Conquering another country is only really "just" if your country doesn't have enough resources for its people to live and they cannot get those resources by non violent methods. The Garleans have suffered and you can definitely argue that their early conquests were just since they were forced to live in a frozen wasteland and were likely conquering the people who had wronged them. But eventually they decided to go all Nazi and try to conquer the entire planet.

That'd be like me being upset that my ancestors were enslaved in America, fighting the Americans, and then going to Japan and attacking them for the enslavement.

Its always such a relief to finish the story, not need to worry about dc or spoilers and go "do i want to level new jobs, do hunts, dungeons or whatever" and just go "fuck it i'm mining collectibles".

But boy its been interesting to see people go from "the final boss reveal felt a bit out of nowhere" last week to now people looking back and going "oh wait X in crystal tower, alexander, omega and a bunch of random shit like the guitar advert with yshtola was teasing this since the ARR patch content". Its definitely a reveal that needs time to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    What? Of course you can judge it with modern values. You just shouldn't say it's a bad story because the characters don't have modern values.

Conquering another country is only really "just" if your country doesn't have enough resources for its people to live and they cannot get those resources by non violent methods. The Garleans have suffered and you can definitely argue that their early conquests were just since they were forced to live in a frozen wasteland and were likely conquering the people who had wronged them. But eventually they decided to go all Nazi and try to conquer the entire planet.

That'd be like me being upset that my ancestors were enslaved in America, fighting the Americans, and then going to Japan and attacking them for the enslavement.
    You seemed to miss my point - entirely. In your first sentence already. Or did you use that strawman on purpose?
    I put both in bold just in case you want to reread what I actually said or more importantly, what I didn't say.

Maybe my grammar was too far away from how to actually write this sentence?
    Not sure where that stuff with it being "just" is comming from though

And you are missing that for the Garlean people, there is a good reason to conquer the aether-weavers, as it was told the summoning of primals leads to utter destruction of the planet. The big grey-sandy area being right in front of their noses so they can see every single day, what will wait for them if they don't stop the "others".
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-12-09 at 04:50 PM.