Going through and leveling all the magic classes to 30 so I can get rid of old gear that's filling up my armory... on thaumaturge right now. Just got 20.

So far, for single targets, I've been blasting with fire until I'm nearly out of MP, then I use the ability to swap fire for ice. While waiting for my mana to refill, I use a lightning, an aero (conjurer already 30), and a scorch. Then back to spamming fire. It seems to do good dps, to the point where it's sometimes stealing aggro from the tank, on bosses too.

Doing it right?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there even a way to measure DPS in this game? It would sure help me out for benchmarking my own performance...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Going through and leveling all the magic classes to 30 so I can get rid of old gear that's filling up my armory... on thaumaturge right now. Just got 20.

So far, for single targets, I've been blasting with fire until I'm nearly out of MP, then I use the ability to swap fire for ice. While waiting for my mana to refill, I use a lightning, an aero (conjurer already 30), and a scorch. Then back to spamming fire. It seems to do good dps, to the point where it's sometimes stealing aggro from the tank, on bosses too.

Doing it right?

- - - Updated - - -

Is there even a way to measure DPS in this game? It would sure help me out for benchmarking my own performance...
    Not at all, but it doesn't matter until 50 anyways. :P

10+ Year Old Account

Doing it right?

- - - Updated - - -

On pc yes but it's not officially allowed soooo if you use it no mentioning it in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Not hyrstmill for them man...Remmeber the same guy who gives us areas like AV around vesper bay gives it the first time AFTER the first one it starts in hyrstmill.
    Ah yeah i remember now, its been a year i guess

- - - Updated - - -

Doing it right?

- - - Updated - - -

thunder1>fire3 for proc>fire 1 burn>cast thunder 3 if it procs>blizzard 3 at low mana, repeat.

fire 3>fire 2 spam>insant cast spell>flare>blizzard 3 for aoe

roughly.

as long as you do it right you dont need to worry about dps, accuracy is really the only number you want to worry about at 50, if you get your rotation down and your dps will be fine and can only increase as you get better gear.

Except that you don't have most of those spells at around level 20. XD But generally something like that.

As far as stealing threat from the tank: if they are a Gladiator/Paladin, below level 40 they have a hard time keeping aggro. Especially on multiple targets. So try to avoid too much AoE damage if you can help it, and you may also want/need to throttle your DPS a little. If they are a Marauder/Warrior... they probably just need to spam Overpower more.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Not at all, but it doesn't matter until 50 anyways. :P
    Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

This isn't one of those games where everybody just blasts to 50 and does the same content over and over again and doesn't bother enjoying or putting any effort into the other 90% of the game, is it?

I actually like to not suck at low levels. Go figure.

10+ Year Old Account

This isn't one of those games where everybody just blasts to 50 and does the same content over and over again and doesn't bother enjoying or putting any effort into the other 90% of the game, is it?

LOL the thing is it is more the BLM rotation at the point you're at IS pretty much straghtforward fire fire fire fire transpose blizard blizzard oh full mana transpose fire fire fire and yeah..When you get fire 3 is when it changes up man....Sooo more they were giving you your 50/near 50 rotation while saying you are good..OH RIGHT add ina thunder at the start and mix it in for maximum damage.

Well, I don't know what future abilities do. Once I get them, I'll add them in and check again. But for now, I'm just taking it to 30 and don't want to be carried in a dungeon. I take pride in doing a good job at ALL levels.

I mean to be fair that's a typical, cynical response a lot of MMO players will give, but in the case of BLM this is a literal thing. BLM's rotation changes around every ten levels so the 'true' rotation you're going to be learning is barely similar to what you're doing. Blizzard 3, for example, is a game changer and then transpose suddenly stops being used entirely outside of conversion after a Flare, running from point a to point b in between pulls, or maybe snapping into for mana regen if a Primal or boss isn't able to be attacked like Ifrit Rushing. Or just outright correcting a mistake.

Similarly there's a tricky Piety spot you want to have that's racial or bonus point dependent to be able to get an extra Fire 2 or not in a rotation. Moon Cat, for example has it, but a friend of mine who's Sun Cat puts 28 int/2 Piety because BLM gear doesn't have Piety to make up this deficit to get that one extra Fire 2 before going into Ice again.

There's also debate that your first Thunder cast should be Thunder II instead of Thunder III due to cast time differences, but some people who feel they're 'unlucky' prefer to start with Thunder III on pull instead of hoping for an early proc, or use Swiftcast Thunder III on Single Target fights since there's no need to hold onto it for Flare without an adds phase.

Content just doesn't really demand memorizing the optimal path for every level sync, and its difficult to care when you want to have good habits for your 50 play-style. BLM is pretty much the only class I've seen where spells can replace spells. Its odd. I mean some classes have skills that 'suck' and may be only utilized in pvp, but Thunder I (and II depending on some people you ask) is just something where you go "Nope, done with it for life." even if it was practical at the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't know what future abilities do. Once I get them, I'll add them in and check again. But for now, I'm just taking it to 30 and don't want to be carried in a dungeon. I take pride in doing a good job at ALL levels.
    LOL nah man i get it i feel the same even in wow i tried to learn and master my job TA ALL levels..If i ama tank i don;t care that it is Deadmines or WC i will still try to fucking tank...I do my job or at leats try at ALL points and yeah you are good fo now man.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reivur View Post
    I mean to be fair that's a typical, cynical response a lot of MMO players will give, but in the case of BLM this is a literal thing. BLM's rotation changes around every ten levels so the 'true' rotation you're going to be learning is barely similar to what you're doing. Blizzard 3, for example, is a game changer and then transpose suddenly stops being used entirely outside of conversion after a Flare, running from point a to point b in between pulls, or maybe snapping into for mana regen if a Primal or boss isn't able to be attacked like Ifrit Rushing. Or just outright correcting a mistake.

Similarly there's a tricky Piety spot you want to have that's racial or bonus point dependent to be able to get an extra Fire 2 or not in a rotation. Moon Cat, for example has it, but a friend of mine who's Sun Cat puts 28 int/2 Piety because BLM gear doesn't have Piety to make up this deficit to get that one extra Fire 2 before going into Ice again.

There's also debate that your first Thunder cast should be Thunder II instead of Thunder III due to cast time differences, but some people who feel they're 'unlucky' prefer to start with Thunder III on pull instead of hoping for an early proc, or use Swiftcast Thunder III on Single Target fights since there's no need to hold onto it for Flare without an adds phase.

Content just doesn't really demand memorizing the optimal path for every level sync, and its difficult to care when you want to have good habits for your 50 play-style. BLM is pretty much the only class I've seen where spells can replace spells. Its odd. I mean some classes have skills that 'suck' and may be only utilized in pvp, but Thunder I (and II depending on some people you ask) is just something where you go "Nope, done with it for life." even if it was practical at the time.
    Yeah this right here BLM is just kind..I unno doesn;t change much, But say MNK they get new dots new single target and new combos before even becoming a monk. Simialr for lnc/drg they get new skills that shift em around a bit so yeah it really depends man..Nobody ws messing with you they were genunely trying to help even for how ya are now.

Yeah, that's all way more than I'm asking. I'm just asking if I'm basically playing at lower levels properly. I still like to earn commendations, for whatever they're worth. I like it when someone thinks I'm a good player.

I don't know why it's so weird for wanting to optimize at every stage of the game.

According to Famitsu, they're doing something different with the Allagan fiber and the way it drops

Instead of being a random chance to roll on it, you'll receive a weekly quest that will make you do all three wings of CT and the reward is a garunteed fiber

Compared to luck dicking you over and making it possible you'll never get the upgrade drop, you'll always get it, but only once per week.

Hopefully this also means the general competence of people doing Labyrinth will go back, ever since ST it's been either trolls or new people.

Also, you'll be able to buy Ironworks with hunt seals, so maybe hunts will get a new lease on life.

Quote Originally Posted by Nara Numas View Post
    According to Famitsu, they're doing something different with the Allagan fiber and the way it drops

Instead of being a random chance to roll on it, you'll receive a weekly quest that will make you do all three wings of CT and the reward is a garunteed fiber

Compared to luck dicking you over and making it possible you'll never get the upgrade drop, you'll always get it, but only once per week.

Hopefully this also means the general competence of people doing Labyrinth will go back, ever since ST it's been either trolls or new people.

Also, you'll be able to buy Ironworks with hunt seals, so maybe hunts will get a new lease on life.
    I get its meant to keep traffic high through all tiers of it but i got all the oils, sands and tomestones i needed from syrcus tower and have at least 15 of each to spare. The quest wouldnt be a problem but people think they outgear bone dragon and ignore the skeletons and then ragequit. They already tried making it give at least double the tomestones syrcus tower does but labyrinth still seems like the effort isnt really worth the investment of time that you can potentially waste.

10+ Year Old Account
    Servers are up guys we are a go.

15+ Year Old Account
    World of Darkness Field Theme HNNNGG SO GOOOOOODD

Deleted
    Managed to kill final boss in WoD at the last minute

The new raid was a lot of fun. I really like the Cloud of Darkness and Cerberus fights - they both have interesting mechanics that kept the raid on their toes. I loved the art direction and music too.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's also debate that your first Thunder cast should be Thunder II instead of Thunder III due to cast time differences, but some people who feel they're 'unlucky' prefer to start with Thunder III on pull...I mean some classes have skills that 'suck' and may be only utilized in pvp, but Thunder I (and II depending on some people you ask) is just something where you go "Nope, done with it for life." even if it was practical at the time.
    Believe it or not, the highest damage BLM rotation at the moment, is actually ysing Thunder 1 (the shocker!!!), and actually start the fight with Swiftcast Fire 3, go through you first Fire rotation before you even cast a Thunder.

This is due to Thunder 2 and 3 will clip if not enough Firestarter is trigger, meaning you have lost meaningless dps there. By using Thunder 1, you win't clip your Thunder, also it gives you extra time to cast a Blizzard 1 before going back to Fire.

That Blizzard 1 also made another difference. Sometimes if you cast Thunder 2 and go back into Fire, if the first tick of mana regen is slow, you sometimes goes back to Fire without full mana, and that Blizzard 1 cast prevents that. If you get a fast first tick however, then you can skip Blizzard 1 for that round.

So it is something like this:
    Swiftcast Fire 3 start > Fire spam > Blizzard 3 > Thunder 1 > Blizzard 1> Fire 3 > Fire spam again
    (Thunder 1 and Blizzard 1 and swap order and replace Blizzard 1 with Scathe is also OK if need to move)

On my phone so cannot search but can post source later if interested when I get home.

And here are the full release patch notes.

Moar new dyes.
    The following rare items have been added to quick exploration ventures:
    Pastel Pink Dye / Pastel Green Dye / Pastel Blue Dye / Pastel Purple Dye

Still not many new Elezen hairstyles

Lots of nice QoL changes in addition to the new content.

edit...
    Wind-up Gentleman
    Minions
    If "clockwork Hildibrand" doesn't quite roll off the tongue, both "minion of enquiry" and "mammet extraordinaire" are acceptable alternatives. Use item to acquire the wind-up gentleman minion.
    Last edited by Scufflegrit; 2015-01-20 at 04:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    the pet you get for beating the keeper of the lake dungeon is cute

Sig by Elyssia "When you do things right people won't be sure you've done anything at all"